Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Topic On NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB Owners (Please Vote)!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

indianopolis is not on the list . norfolk is and it is the largest metropolitan area in the united states without any pro teams. they are due.
    Go Broncos, Capitals, and Orioles

Thanks SNK16

Comment

Originally posted by SCI03
      I can't argue that, the Res Sox never do win when it counts, but as far as the spending, that is only recent because its the only way they can compete, and I can almost assure that come Audgust and September the Yanks are going to outbid and overspend for a rented player in an attempt to buy another championship. It happens every year.
      this is true next year i would not be surprised if the yankees have 100 million higher payroll than the second highest team

Thanks SNK16

Comment

Originally posted by Booher
        indianopolis is not on the list . norfolk is and it is the largest metropolitan area in the united states without any pro teams. they are due.
        Is Norfolf a serious option, I Think DC would be a mistake, the Senators didn't work there either. I personally would like to see the Expos in Portland, OR but I don't think that will happen.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI03
          Is Norfolf a serious option, I Think DC would be a mistake, the Senators didn't work there either. I personally would like to see the Expos in Portland, OR but I don't think that will happen.
          I think it would be better to just get rid of the team. The talent pool in major league baseball is already depleted. Norfolk is not nearly a big enough market to have a MLB team. If places like Milwaukee and Pittsburgh struggle to keep a team going, i don't know what the point is.

"The Gagne T-shirt jersey comes with a complimentary can of gasoline and a set of matches."

Comment

Originally posted by NJBRONCOSFAN
            I think it would be better to just get rid of the team. The talent pool in major league baseball is already depleted. Norfolk is not nearly a big enough market to have a MLB team. If places like Milwaukee and Pittsburgh struggle to keep a team going, i don't know what the point is.

Totally agree, the NHL is watered down aswell, but it will never happen as long as the Players unions have their say. They don't want the job cuts.

Comment

the norfolk area is not just one city it's a bunch of cities called hampton roads with a 1.9 million population..........no problems supporting a team there

Thanks SNK16

Comment

I just don't think it's enforceable. Besides, when a team doesn't do well because of ownership failures *cough*cough*Cardinals*cough*Bidwells*cough*, the fans vote with their feet. Last year the Arizona team was over 13 million below the cap. The Bidwells treat the team solely as a business and have played to half empty or less stadiums. The Bidwells did that before when the Cardinals were in St. Louis and responded by taking the team elsewhere, and when they started talking about taking the team somewhere else again, I don't think they got much interest. The Broncos have one of the best owners in the NFL and the stadium is nearly always full. I personally was unhappy with the changes in the new stadium to create more luxury boxes and fewer seats for the average fan, but they don't ask my opinion on things like that. Fewer fans can get season tickets in the new stadium but Bowlen is making more money than in the old Mile High. Does that mean that Bowlen should be fined or punished in some manner compared to the old Mile High days? We have a great team, with an owner that really does care about getting the best people and doing what needs to be done to make the team successful. At least, that's my opinion.
                You Tell 'em Justice is coming. You tell 'em I'M coming!sigpic

Comment

i don't agree

just reading some of the statements being made over the last couple of pages and yes there are problems with owners of sports teams not caring about their own fans but you can't forced them to spend money on thier own team especially using the government to do it. unless criminal activities are occuring inside the sport(corruption,gambling,illegal drug usage/selling/or transporting and even felonies crimes) on a everyday basis then the feds can get involved but as for forcing owners to spend money to be competitive? doesn't sound very realistic in this day and age. the only way owners realize they need to change thier spending policies is as fan don't show up to the games in unison. yeah I know it sounds whack but don't show up to the games for certain sports teams in certain parts of the country could do a lot of damage. owners of teams in major media markets cannot afford to have bad teams for long periods of times cause the pressure of the media and fans would eat them up. except for the LA clippers who definitely need a change of venue cause they can never compete with the lakers. baseball just has too many teams with watered down pitchers and smaller parks just make it too damn easy to break records with or without steroids. basket ball is so bad that their searching high schools in the U.S. and foreign players to be competive. hockey and nascar need more minorities to interact with thier sport just to get a bigger demographic. though baseball has had the DBacks, angels and now marlins win championships it has been football that has the most dramatic worst to first stories with the rams,carolina, tampa, even the bengals etc. yet everybody waits for the cardinals to get better and thier org. just sucks, but they are the exception not the norm in football. all in all thier has to be good teams and bad teams what if each team did spend the same and everybody had the same amount of talent that would be boring. where is the underdog beating the favorite. what's good about sports is having team win that wasn't supposed to. you can't have that if everybody is the same and competitive.
                  arizona knocking out the vikings when minny was favorite is what people who watch sports look for unless your a viking fan then that sucks.
                  Bronco fan 33 years and counting, GO BRONCOS!

Comment

I think that an owner should be able to do "pretty much" what he wants to do with his money.

That being said if your league has anti trust immunity, there should be a clause in the bylaws stating that they must put a completive team on the field by spending to the salary cap or the league has the option to sell the franchise to someone that will.
                    Last edited by JRWIZ; 06-05-2004, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jrhampton
                      I think that an owner should be able to do "pretty much" what he wants to do with his money.

That being said if your league has anti trust immunity, there should be a clause in the bylaws stating that they must put a completive team on the field by spending to the salary cap or the league has the option to sell the franchise to someone that will.
                      What if you can put a winning/competitive team together and not reach the cap or you spend at the cap every year and still cant field a competitive team?

And my theory is this: people blame the owners for spending the money, i.e. George S. thereby creating huge salaries, but what about players that demand the owners pay them or they wont play , i.e. CP and the likes - to me its a vicious circle and the ones to blame are really the fans - cause we as a whole put to much emphasis and importance on these games and sports - if no one cared then there wouldnt be this problem -

Comment

Originally posted by orangenblue420
                        What if you can put a winning/competitive team together and not reach the cap or you spend at the cap every year and still cant field a competitive team?

Then more power to them, I did not say they had to spend every dime in the cap. But like in the a case of CIN until recently they had the worst record in like forever, had more top ten choices than the rest of the league. Yet they rarely resigned the good choices, because they had not made commitment to win. Lots of their players bailed just to get into a winning team. For many years they were cheap and never got to their salary cap. They did not get the name Bungles, because they were doing something right. Now they have a new coach that seems to have them pointed in the correct direction.

And my theory is this: people blame the owners for spending the money, i.e. George S. thereby creating huge salaries, but what about players that demand the owners pay them or they wont play , i.e. CP and the likes - to me its a vicious circle and the ones to blame are really the fans - cause we as a whole put to much emphasis and importance on these games and sports - if no one cared then there wouldnt be this problem -

Yes there are moron owners, that think they can just throw money at the problem. Folks that made money in the REAL WORLD and needed something to do with their money. Snyder is one of them. He has spent untold millions with little to show for it if anything. He has tried out how many coaches now, and hired and fired a bunch of FA's. Still no title.

If no fans cared, these overpriced millionare's would probably be selling crack on the corners some place as they would not have gotten into college and perhaps not even through high school.

Just think of the NFL, MLB, NBA as a half way house that is keeping most of the thugs off the street most of the time. Now they go to high price bars, party and kill at home and of course IHOP.

In most cases these stadiums have been sold out forever because of the demand, in the major cities. NYG, REDskins, Broncos, KC all have FANatics in the stands.

For that matter if us fans did not have some where to play out our frustrations, how many would be on the streets also.

Last edited by JRWIZ; 06-07-2004, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X