• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shanahan can use the plays he wants

http://www.gazette.com/sports/cutler...n_broncos.html

OPINION: Shanahan can use the plays he wants
    BY MILO BRYANT, THE GAZETTE
    May 17, 2007 - 12:56AM

ENGLEWOOD - Time to dust off the old playbook.

The new era has begun.

Put John Elway in the back of the brain for a moment. Forget about Brian Griese. Forget about Jake Plummer, too.

The Denver Broncos belong to Jay Cutler, a quarterback Mike Shanahan believes has the knack to run a complex offense. Shanahan can get out the playbook that’s been stored away the past few years. He can go back to calling the plays he once loved.

It’s Cutler’s time to shine.

Sure, Cutler started the Broncos’ last five games. But the team was in limbo much of last season.

Shanahan was desperate in wanting to get Cutler, his guy, in the game. There were veteran players eager for another championship run, yet ambivalent about having a rookie lead them there.

See, limbo.

After a tumultuous offseason that included Darrent Williams being shot and killed and the death of Damien Nash, the Broncos are back on the practice field with a bevy of new coaches and several new leaders. But nary a new face nor leader has a more daunting task than Cutler.

As Cutler goes, so goes the Broncos.

It’s the new era.

Any time you start with a quarterback like Jay, with the type of leadership he has, with the type of ability he has, you could say that,” Shanahan said. “It’s not often that you get a quarterback at that age, with that type of ability, with that type of leadership skill and that type of playing skill.

“You’re just hoping that he grows and grows. ... He can’t do it by himself, that’s why I’m hoping we’ve got a pretty good supporting cast
    .”

To help their 24-year-old wunderkind, Shanahan brought in Travis Henry, a stubborn running back who has the ability to eat up clock and take pressure off Cutler. The Broncos should also have their biggest offensive line in years, if not ever.

Cutler’s brain and arm brought him to Denver, not his legs. Cutler isn’t a stiff, but he’s not going to fake out many defenders either.

So, let’s tally: There’s a beefier line which includes a good blocking tight end, a beefier running back, and the receiver battle will be the best a Shanahan-led training camp has ever had. Oh, don’t forget a defense that boasts, potentially, the best cornerback duo in the game.

They’re all there to take the pressure off Cutler.

Like that’s going to happen.

The pressure of playing in No. 7’s shadow will remain, at least until a quarterback steals the hearts of Broncos faithful with passionate postseason play. That’s just the nature of a quarterback’s life in Denver, and everybody knows that.

“Mentally I feel a lot more comfortable,” Cutler said after quarterbacks practice Wednesday. “I have a better feel for what’s going on. I was pretty loose out here. Obviously I want to play well. I feel good about my job, so it’s just going out there and playing football.”

Cutler also talked about patience and about understanding the game more, letting it come to him.

Shanahan is banking on not just those thought processes but how quickly Cutler processes those thoughts.

Shanahan hasn’t had a quarterback who thinks the way Cutler does since No. 7, so believe that Shanahan’s playbook is getting hefty again. And believe that Cutler will have every opportunity to prove Shanahan right.

We’re going to see a different Broncos offense this season.

The plays and play-calling might not be as different as they will be a regurgitation of a stored-away playbook.

But it’ll be different to anybody watching.

And that’s fine.

It’s a different era.

Columnist Milo F. Bryant can be reached at 636-0252 or [email protected]. Check out Milo's blog, The Extra Milo, at http://milobryant.blogspot.com/
    Last edited by cutlerfan; 05-17-2007, 07:41 AM.

----------------------------------------------
    I work at Vanderbilt University

Where Jay Graduated!

I tell you I love Elway! He was my hero growing up. I loved the way he threw the ball with velocity! I love that in a QB. This is why I am a Cutlerfan!!

Ooh this makes me really excited I had no idea Shanny wasn't using his best plays these last few years with Jake... I really hope Cutler can handle it because Shanny is an absolute offensive genius.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoserman117
      Ooh this makes me really excited I had no idea Shanny wasn't using his best plays these last few years with Jake... I really hope Cutler can handle it because Shanny is an absolute offensive genius.
      You have to gameplan for your QB's strengths. I remember Griese did a lot of short routes and swing passes, and Plummer of course had the bootleg. Cutler has "All the tools" according to many people, so the playbook should be wide open. Imagine if Shanny had Elway in his prime? There probably would have been 80 yard post routes off naked bootlegs or something.

Comment

What shake said, you have to play to your QB's strengths. I am not a Plummer hater, I routed for him etc. But he just didn't have the abliity to do what people say Cutler/Elay did etc.. Bigger playbook, more complicated.

I am excited myself, even though we have had a lot of questions this off season I am looking forward to how things pan out in camp, WR, returners, LB! Is it August yet?

I know a lot of people were down on Cutler with not winning in college ie Linheart, but you have to think a player of that caliber on a mediocore team he has to have great leadership skills and the abilities to make players around him better with his play.
        Thanks WhiteDragon!

http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?t=85326 Last years 1st RD Mock
        GM Draft-#24-CB Aqib Talib Kansas
        #54-WR Earl Bennett Vandy
        #85-G Roy Schuening OSU
        #114(via HOU-Pacman Trade) TE Brad Cottam TEN
        #120 LB Ben Moffit USF
        Block: TE Troupe RB Brown DT Starks

Comment

How could you not notice this. Teams knew it was extremely advantageous to them to keep Plummer in the pocket and so theyd sceme accordingly. Its kind of amazing Denver got the mileage out of Plummer since his inability to throw out of the pocket made the team kind of one dimensional. The ability to throw out of the pocket is also a reason the running game became more successful once Cutler was inserted...even though he was a rookie teams knew they had to play the whole field whereas with Plummer, teams could take more liberties on defense because of Jakes shortcomings in the pocket...and most pass plays in the NFL are from the pocket.

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoAV06
            What shake said, you have to play to your QB's strengths. I am not a Plummer hater, I routed for him etc. But he just didn't have the abliity to do what people say Cutler/Elay did etc.. Bigger playbook, more complicated.

I am excited myself, even though we have had a lot of questions this off season I am looking forward to how things pan out in camp, WR, returners, LB! Is it August yet?

I know a lot of people were down on Cutler with not winning in college ie Linheart, but you have to think a player of that caliber on a mediocore team he has to have great leadership skills and the abilities to make players around him better with his play.
            Yeah, I agree. Didn't our very own Jarvis Moss say to the media after the Florida game that Cutler was the best player he'd ever played against? In the SEC, that's some high praise.

And I'm not quite sure why you all think that Cutler isn't a leader. Just because he's not *****ing to the refs every play ala Rivers doesn't mean he's not concerned or a leader. It most likely means he's focused. And unlike a lot of you, I did see him get upset. After that pick against SF, you could read his lips, and what they were saying was not message board friendy.

RIP D-Will and Nash

Comment

Originally posted by evendelae

And I'm not quite sure why you all think that Cutler isn't a leader. Just because he's not *****ing to the refs every play ala Rivers doesn't mean he's not concerned or a leader.

I would question his leadership last year after seeing him play, but under the circumstances, there's probably 99% of all NFL QB's that could walk into the situation Cutler did and became an instant leader. The bottomline is the coaches and players feel he is already a leader, so he's doing the right things in practice.

Now it's up to Jay to translate those qualities he shows in practice into the game on Sundays. I'm really excited to see the Denver offense this year, which hasn't been the case the last few years. It will be nice to lok forward to something other than defense.

Comment

i could tell he scaled back the play book for jake last season.

Comment

Originally posted by silkamilkamonic
                  I would question his leadership last year after seeing him play, but under the circumstances, there's probably 99% of all NFL QB's that could walk into the situation Cutler did and became an instant leader. The bottomline is the coaches and players feel he is already a leader, so he's doing the right things in practice.

Now it's up to Jay to translate those qualities he shows in practice into the game on Sundays. I'm really excited to see the Denver offense this year, which hasn't been the case the last few years. It will be nice to lok forward to something other than defense.
                  Question his leadership? How and why? He came into a situation where he was replacing a leader-Jake-and was making his first few starts, trying to keep team harmony. After every game there were questions about him starting and not Jake. I thought his careful answers by not 'rocking the boat' about the QB situation shows he has great leadership. It's not like 'ok you are the starter-start being Johnny U now.'

C'mon man....

Comment

Originally posted by Jazzman1987
                    i could tell he scaled back the play book for jake last season.

Shanahan hasn't used his full playbook since Elway. Griese didn't have the arm strength to open the field up, and Plummer didn't make the right decisions.

It will remain to be seen if Shanahan does open the playbook up with Jay. He says he will, but he also said he didn't hold anything back last year, which obviously wasn't the case.

Comment

Originally posted by JerseyAdam
                      Question his leadership? How and why? He came into a situation where he was replacing a leader-Jake-and was making his first few starts, trying to keep team harmony. After every game there were questions about him starting and not Jake. I thought his careful answers by not 'rocking the boat' about the QB situation shows he has great leadership. It's not like 'ok you are the starter-start being Johnny U now.'

C'mon man....

Relax. That's exactly what I'm talking about. He came into a next to impossible situation, and did a great job.

Comment

Originally posted by silkamilkamonic
                        Shanahan hasn't used his full playbook since Elway. Griese didn't have the arm strength to open the field up, and Plummer didn't make the right decisions.

It will remain to be seen if Shanahan does open the playbook up with Jay. He says he will, but he also said he didn't hold anything back last year, which obviously wasn't the case.
                        i don't think he'll open it up all the way just yet. Cutler still has a lot to learn. in a couple years, tho, i expect the playbook to be wide open

Comment

Cool we could see the Cutler Cross

Comment

Originally posted by evendelae
                            Yeah, I agree. Didn't our very own Jarvis Moss say to the media after the Florida game that Cutler was the best player he'd ever played against? In the SEC, that's some high praise.

And I'm not quite sure why you all think that Cutler isn't a leader. Just because he's not *****ing to the refs every play ala Rivers doesn't mean he's not concerned or a leader. It most likely means he's focused. And unlike a lot of you, I did see him get upset. After that pick against SF, you could read his lips, and what they were saying was not message board friendy.
                            I can't believe no one on this board saw the Vandy-Florida game on ESPN2 that night. The #4 defense in the country could do nothing about Cutler and the Vandy offense I told my son after that game that Cutler just became a millionaire.

Just wish Vandy's defense could have stopped Florida.

Jarvis Moss and the Florida defense were back on their heels and JVandy scored late in regulation. They scored and the receiver was called for a VERY, VERY questionable "celebration" penalty. Vandy was gonna go for 2 and the win, but got pushed back 15 yards and had to kick the extra point. It was a true case of the officials deciding the outcome I had ever seen. It took 2 overtimes for the Gators to pull it through.
                            As the great divide in America continues we are causing harm to our future generations by avoiding what needs to be done.

More people recognize Britney Spears than Dick Cheney.

Comment

Originally posted by vandyman53
                              I can't believe no one on this board saw the Vandy-Florida game on ESPN2 that night. The #4 defense in the country could do nothing about Cutler and the Vandy offense I told my son after that game that Cutler just became a millionaire.

Just wish Vandy's defense could have stopped Florida.

Jarvis Moss and the Florida defense were back on their heels and JVandy scored late in regulation. They scored and the receiver was called for a VERY, VERY questionable "celebration" penalty. Vandy was gonna go for 2 and the win, but got pushed back 15 yards and had to kick the extra point. It was a true case of the officials deciding the outcome I had ever seen. It took 2 overtimes for the Gators to pull it through.
                              As a Gator fan Im very familiar with this game and have often referred to it. And youre right, that game was a testament to Cutlers quality as a QB. Regarding the officiating though, the announcers kept jumping up and down about that celebration penalty but they completely ignored bad calls that went against UF...that PI comes to mind. In any case, that game was all Cutler. When Leinart and Young were in colllege there was a lot of talent on their teams. The fact that Cutler was IT and still made his team THAT competitive speaks volumes. With that game lodged firmly in my memory, I was thrilled when Denver drafted Cutler.

Comment

Working...
                              X