X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RBDynasty
    replied
    Originally posted by MasterShake
    You have to gameplan for your QB's strengths. I remember Griese did a lot of short routes and swing passes, and Plummer of course had the bootleg. Cutler has "All the tools" according to many people, so the playbook should be wide open. Imagine if Shanny had Elway in his prime? There probably would have been 80 yard post routes off naked bootlegs or something.
    Yep... and there would be no arument on which QB was the best between Elway, Marino, and Montana. Elway would have smoked every record out there and probably have 5 rings.

Leave a comment:

• rcsodak
    replied
    Originally posted by Hoserman117
    Ooh this makes me really excited I had no idea Shanny wasn't using his best plays these last few years with Jake... I really hope Cutler can handle it because Shanny is an absolute offensive genius.
    Hmmm...

...where, exactly, did his comments say that?

It's the writer's OPINE! Not Shanny's.

Leave a comment:

• TheGlue Factory
    replied
    Originally posted by Hoserman117
    Ooh this makes me really excited I had no idea Shanny wasn't using his best plays these last few years with Jake... I really hope Cutler can handle it because Shanny is an absolute offensive genius.

I wouldn't put too much stock on Milo's editorial. He does little more than editorial sports writing for the Gazette. Milo is just as likely to write stuff that will be controversial as he will write something like this. That article is completely, 100% opinion.

Leave a comment:

• MasterShake
    replied
    Originally posted by Cugel
    You've obviously forgotten that he DID have Shanahan in his prime! Shanahan was offensive coordinator under Reeves until he was fired for scripting plays with Elway "behind Dan's back."

Which meant that Shanahan was trying to get more production than Dan's moronic conception of the offense would allow. Reeves' stupid answer to the criticism that oh, MAYBE Shanahan was RIGHT and that they should open up the offense a tad to take full advantage of the best QB ever to play the game?

"I don't coach the run-and-shoot" he said contemptuously! Well now you useless old fossil, you don't coach at all! :wave:

If Denver had a coach like Shanahan instead of that idiot Reeves we could have won at least 2 more SBs with Elway. And in addition, his drafting made Shanahan's worst mistakes look like genius moves!

Oh, in addition, Reeves totally bungled several #1 draft picks: NT Ted Gregory - who didn't even make the team, and #4 pick of the entire draft LB Mike Croel -- a man who made the all-time BUST list and was called "the least instinctive player I ever coached by Denver's LB coach!
    I remember that, but for the reasons you pointed out it wasn't the same. Elway in prime+Shannahan as head coach=5 superbowls.

Leave a comment:

• Morambar
    replied
    I know what I wanna see again:

Bombs on 2nd and <=3. The nice thing is if Kuper's half as good as everyone seems to think we should have the running game that we CAN get 2-3 yards in two plays, so on 2nd and short, when that D is comin' up with eight guys to try and stop the short run--BOOM! When we're inside our 10 and they're playing up close to stop the short, safe, conservative (punt producing) plays you're supposed to call--BOOM! When we're just inside their 30 and the D is tiring from what Graham and Henry have been doing to 'em, hello, Mr. Deep Post! I'm gonna stop talking now before Norv Turner hears me....

Leave a comment:

• arapaho
    replied
    Originally posted by Jazzman1987
    i could tell he scaled back the play book for jake last season.

its been gradually scaled back since elway left and specialy since plummer came to town.........2004 shanny kinda opened it up, jake did alot of good things , broncos passing record an all, but what also came was the all to frequant int at terrible times...in o5 he reigned in plummer by scaleing back the play book, so plummer didnt have to do anything but play...it got us almost there, yet he crumbled when it counted, in 06 shanny stated that he scaled down the book again for plummer.....but it was only made worse by his inability to be productive without being on the move

enter cutler...mobile enough to rollout.....great arm to hit the long pass and accurate enough to play the pocket....and smart enough and works hard enough to use the whole book

Leave a comment:

• Gulbrand
    replied
    The whole idea of "opening up the playbook" doesn't necessarily mean "more complicated". The point is that Cutler has the size and skill set that allows him to be a pocket passer, which allows greater flexibility in game planning, without being more complicated. It does mean a greater need for the WRs to get open, and for the QB to read the play. Cutler can roll out. He can run and scramble. The really big change is the pocket passing - and the shot gun - capability which opens a lot of different options.

I think the Broncos will be pleasantly surprising this year, both sides of the ball....

Leave a comment:

• lex
    replied
    Originally posted by cutlerfan
    Vandy should have won that game. Chris Leak's knee was down before he ran in to score. It would have been the first time since 1948 Vandy Beat Florida! Jay took them to double OT at the swamp. That was a classic game!!
    No, dude. Stop drinking the koolaid.

Leave a comment:

• Cugel
    replied
    Originally posted by MasterShake
    You have to gameplan for your QB's strengths. I remember Griese did a lot of short routes and swing passes, and Plummer of course had the bootleg. Cutler has "All the tools" according to many people, so the playbook should be wide open. Imagine if Shanny had Elway in his prime? There probably would have been 80 yard post routes off naked bootlegs or something.
    You've obviously forgotten that he DID have Shanahan in his prime! Shanahan was offensive coordinator under Reeves until he was fired for scripting plays with Elway "behind Dan's back."

Which meant that Shanahan was trying to get more production than Dan's moronic conception of the offense would allow. Reeves' stupid answer to the criticism that oh, MAYBE Shanahan was RIGHT and that they should open up the offense a tad to take full advantage of the best QB ever to play the game?

"I don't coach the run-and-shoot" he said contemptuously! Well now you useless old fossil, you don't coach at all! :wave:

If Denver had a coach like Shanahan instead of that idiot Reeves we could have won at least 2 more SBs with Elway. And in addition, his drafting made Shanahan's worst mistakes look like genius moves!

Oh, in addition, Reeves totally bungled several #1 draft picks: NT Ted Gregory - who didn't even make the team, and #4 pick of the entire draft LB Mike Croel -- a man who made the all-time BUST list and was called "the least instinctive player I ever coached by Denver's LB coach!

Leave a comment:

• cutlerfan
    replied
    Originally posted by lex
    As a Gator fan Im very familiar with this game and have often referred to it. And youre right, that game was a testament to Cutlers quality as a QB. Regarding the officiating though, the announcers kept jumping up and down about that celebration penalty but they completely ignored bad calls that went against UF...that PI comes to mind. In any case, that game was all Cutler. When Leinart and Young were in colllege there was a lot of talent on their teams. The fact that Cutler was IT and still made his team THAT competitive speaks volumes. With that game lodged firmly in my memory, I was thrilled when Denver drafted Cutler.

Vandy should have won that game. Chris Leak's knee was down before he ran in to score. It would have been the first time since 1948 Vandy Beat Florida! Jay took them to double OT at the swamp. That was a classic game!!

Leave a comment:

• cutlerfan
    replied
    Originally posted by vandyman53
    I can't believe no one on this board saw the Vandy-Florida game on ESPN2 that night. The #4 defense in the country could do nothing about Cutler and the Vandy offense I told my son after that game that Cutler just became a millionaire.

Just wish Vandy's defense could have stopped Florida.

Jarvis Moss and the Florida defense were back on their heels and JVandy scored late in regulation. They scored and the receiver was called for a VERY, VERY questionable "celebration" penalty. Vandy was gonna go for 2 and the win, but got pushed back 15 yards and had to kick the extra point. It was a true case of the officials deciding the outcome I had ever seen. It took 2 overtimes for the Gators to pull it through.
    You know I saw it! I recorded that game and watched it over and over!

Leave a comment:

• // / yardo
    replied
    I can't believe no one on this board saw the Vandy-Florida game on ESPN2 that night. The #4 defense in the country could do nothing about Cutler and the Vandy offense I told my son after that game that Cutler just became a millionaire.

Jarvis Moss and the Florida defense were back on their heels and JVandy scored late in regulation. They scored and the receiver was called for a VERY, VERY questionable "celebration" penalty. Vandy was gonna go for 2 and the win, but got pushed back 15 yards and had to kick the extra point. It was a true case of the officials deciding the outcome I had ever seen. It took 2 overtimes for the Gators to pull it through.
    I wish I could have watched that.

Leave a comment:

• lex
    replied

As a Gator fan Im very familiar with this game and have often referred to it. And youre right, that game was a testament to Cutlers quality as a QB. Regarding the officiating though, the announcers kept jumping up and down about that celebration penalty but they completely ignored bad calls that went against UF...that PI comes to mind. In any case, that game was all Cutler. When Leinart and Young were in colllege there was a lot of talent on their teams. The fact that Cutler was IT and still made his team THAT competitive speaks volumes. With that game lodged firmly in my memory, I was thrilled when Denver drafted Cutler.

Leave a comment:

• vandyman53
    replied
    Originally posted by evendelae
    Yeah, I agree. Didn't our very own Jarvis Moss say to the media after the Florida game that Cutler was the best player he'd ever played against? In the SEC, that's some high praise.

And I'm not quite sure why you all think that Cutler isn't a leader. Just because he's not *****ing to the refs every play ala Rivers doesn't mean he's not concerned or a leader. It most likely means he's focused. And unlike a lot of you, I did see him get upset. After that pick against SF, you could read his lips, and what they were saying was not message board friendy.

Leave a comment:

• Northern Lights
    replied
    Cool we could see the Cutler Cross

Leave a comment:

Working...
X