Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ranking all 32 quarterbacks

http://www.fannation.com/blogs/post/14552

Like all great sports arguments, this debate began at a bar, with a number of SI.com colleagues earlier this week. The challenge: rank the 32 projected starting quarterbacks. The criteria: how will they perform in 2007, factoring intangibles such as winning and leadership along with statistics. Marc Bulger may have better numbers than Tom Brady, but that doesn't make Bulger more valuable.

After No. 5, this gets very difficult, but if you disagree with any of my rankings, I'll gladly set you straight in a FanNation Throwdown at any time.

1 Peyton Manning
    2 Tom Brady
    3 Carson Palmer
    4 Drew Brees
    5 Philip Rivers
    6 Donovan McNabb
    7 Ben Roethlisberger
    8 Marc Bulger
    9 Matt Hasselbeck
    10 Michael Vick
    11 Tony Romo
    12 Matt Leinart
    13 Jay Cutler
    14 Vince Young
    15 Brett Favre
    16 Steve McNair
    17 Alex Smith
    18 Jeff Garcia
    19 Jake Delhomme
    20 Chad Pennington
    21 Jon Kitna
    22 Eli Manning
    23 Damon Huard
    24 Trent Green (assuming he's a Dolphin)
    25 Jason Campbell
    26 Rex Grossman
    27 Byron Leftwich
    28 J.P. Losman
    29 Matt Schaub
    30 Josh McCown
    31 Tarvaris Jackson
    32 Charlie Frye

Thanks for the post!

Looks good to me however....

Donovan McNabb & Matt Hasselbeck are a bit high; maybe it's their reputation.

Michael Vick has the potential but the same potential has been there for four years.

It's really good to see Cutler, with only 5 games played, raise the eyesbrows of those not particularly in Broncomania....
    sigpic

Comment

I would rate Cutler ahead of Leinart, but I guess Matt wins right now due to more games played, and he's such a "purty" boy!!!

I would like to see these rankings at the end of the season.
      As the great divide in America continues we are causing harm to our future generations by avoiding what needs to be done.

More people recognize Britney Spears than Dick Cheney.

Comment

I like to see Cutler, Leinart, and Young up high, but I seriously don't think either should be ranked above Favre and Steve McNair.
        Not at this point. They really haven't shown enough yet. But hopefully they will.
        Emancipate your mind!
        The People's Poster

Comment

I don't think Young should be behind Leinart. I think if anything based on games played and what they did in the games they played in.....

Vince Young
          Jay Cutler
          Matt Leinart

I would go as far as saying Michael Vick's play has not garnered him a spot that high on the list. If given the choice between mobile QB's, I would take Young over Vick in a heartbeat. Youth, athleticism and off the field antics play a key role in that. I'm wondering about McNabb as well, and I don't doubt what he does, it's just he is so prone for injury.

Just my thoughts.
          Ready for the friggen season already!

Comment

I agree with most of that list, but I think McNabb may be a little high. Oh, and his rank seems to be wrong too. HAHA! Sorry to laugh at my own joke, but someone has to. Seriously, McNabb should be a little lower. Other than that, looks good to me. I'm actually surprised Jay is that far up based on how little he played last year.

Comment

No WAY I put RIvers up this high after just one season of play... no way.

How do they put VIck and ROmo this high up, and how can they put any of last year's draft picks where they do?

Honestly... this ranking makes no sense to me. Vick and Romo 10 and 11?

Rivers higher than bulger, Hasselbeck, and McNabb? come on.

*shakes my head*.. I just can't agree with these.... but I'll step out on the plank and rank them how I would based on PROVEN talent, and talent over proven time, then potential.

RAVAGE RANKINGS:

1 Peyton Manning
              2 Tom Brady
              3 Carson Palmer
              4 Donovan McNabb
              5 Drew Brees
              6 marc Bulger
              7 matt hasselbeck
              8 Jake Delhomme
              9 Philip Rivers
              10 Ben Roethlisberger
              11 Brett Favre
              12 Chad Pennington
              13 Michael Vick
              14 Trent Green
              15 Steve McNair
              16 Matt Leinart
              17 Jay Cutler
              18 Vince Young
              19 Jeff Garcia
              20 Tony Romo
              21 Alex Smith
              22 Jon Kitna
              23 Eli Manning
              24 Damon Huard
              25 Jason Campbell
              26 Rex Grossman
              27 Byron Leftwich
              28 J.P. Losman
              29 Matt Schaub
              30 Josh McCown
              31 Tarvaris Jackson
              32 Charlie Frye
              Last edited by Ravage!!!; 05-18-2007, 11:01 AM.

Comment

Why is Leinart above Cutler?

Otherwise it's pretty good.

RIP D-Will and Nash

Comment

Its obligatory for E!SPN to have Leinart ahead of Cutler. Leinart went to USC what E!SPN like to call the best team ever (who happened to lose to Texas), Cutler played for Vanderbilt. E!SPN has invested too much in Leinart/Bush to give the benefit of the doubt to someone else.

Comment

Originally posted by lex
                    Its obligatory for E!SPN to have Leinart ahead of Cutler. Leinart went to USC what E!SPN like to call the best team ever (who happened to lose to Texas), Cutler played for Vanderbilt. E!SPN has invested too much in Leinart/Bush to give the benefit of the doubt to someone else.
                    But why would anyone, outside of Denver, Rank Cutler higher yet? Leinart played damn well for Arizona and played more games. I don't have a problem with it UNTIL Cutler has a chance to prove otherwise. He hasn't YET, but that doesn't mean he won't. Considering they placed Cutler ahead of Young tells you something that they are NOT obligated to do anything. Young won more games, and is the new face for madden, and is the 'hot' choice right now.

I just don't find it insulting that Cutler is one spot below Leinart right now since Cutler has only played 5 games. Its really not that big a deal,and I kept him there on my rankings because of that.

Comment

Why is both Lienart and Cutler above Young?

Pennington is ridiculously too low.

Comment

I'll be the first idiot to say CUTLER IS NUMBER ONE!
                        Originally posted by Soldier96B
                        i also took a crap and it was orange

Comment

Originally posted by silkamilkamonic
                          Why is both Lienart and Cutler above Young?

Pennington is ridiculously too low.
                          Because there are many that just don 't buy Young being a NFL QB yet. I know I don't. I wasn't impressed with him last season, and don't see him being a guy that can lead a team with his arm, which is what a NFL QB needs to be able to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!!
                            But why would anyone, outside of Denver, Rank Cutler higher yet? Leinart played damn well for Arizona and played more games. I don't have a problem with it UNTIL Cutler has a chance to prove otherwise. He hasn't YET, but that doesn't mean he won't. Considering they placed Cutler ahead of Young tells you something that they are NOT obligated to do anything. Young won more games, and is the new face for madden, and is the 'hot' choice right now.

I just don't find it insulting that Cutler is one spot below Leinart right now since Cutler has only played 5 games. Its really not that big a deal,and I kept him there on my rankings because of that.
                            Cutler had a better TD/INT ratio, a higher QB rating, won half as many games in less than half the starts, and to top it off, made Leinart look bad when we played Arizona. At this moment, Cutler>Leinart.

RIP D-Will and Nash

Comment

Originally posted by silkamilkamonic
                              All NFL QB's need to do is win, which is something Young showed he could do time and time again.

I wasn't overly impressed with any of the rookies, but when it came down to winning games, I can't argue with what VInce did.

The jury's still out on all 3 of the QB's at this point.
                              yea. But Vick won early on with his legs to. He took them to the playoffs and was up for NFL MVP his first year starting. THen teams were able to scheme for his running, and were able to stop it, and he can't seem to win after that. Thats the way I see Young, and hence why I (right now) feel both Leinart and Cutler to be better NFL prospects.

Comment

Working...
                              X