Ranking all 32 quarterbacks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ravage!!!
    ok.. so you see Cutler as being better. You believe there is some kind of conspiracy to keep USC and USC Players higher ranked and more in the eye of the fans (which I honestly find to be ridiculous).... but the point is that there is no CLEAR cut way you can say Cutler is better... AT THIS POINT. Thats why when I typed out my own rankings, I kept them the way they were. I love Cutler's talent, but I can't say he's better than Leinart yet. Not yet.
    No, there is no "conspiracy" about USC players or whoevers. However, when a quarterback or any player comes from a high profile school they are much more likely to be given status over a player from what is not commonly a football factory.

A case in point is that the All American rankings at the end of the three quarterbacks careers there was no where that mentioned Jay Cutler. Not even an honorable mention.

Too often the press goo goo's and ga ga's over players from more high profile schools when in actuality there are players from the Division II level that are better than the ones being fawned over. I'm waiting for the first team of broadcasters to give a Division II or even lower classification to give a lot of press too. The last actually was probably STeve McNair and his recognition came late.
    As the great divide in America continues we are causing harm to our future generations by avoiding what needs to be done.

More people recognize Britney Spears than Dick Cheney.

Comment

*shakes my head*.. I just can't agree with these.... but I'll step out on the plank and rank them how I would based on PROVEN talent, and talent over proven time, then potential.

RAVAGE RANKINGS:

1 Peyton Manning
      2 Tom Brady
      3 Carson Palmer
      4 Donovan McNabb
      5 Drew Brees
      6 marc Bulger
      7 matt hasselbeck
      8 Jake Delhomme
      9 Philip Rivers
      10 Ben Roethlisberger
      11 Brett Favre
      12 Chad Pennington
      13 Michael Vick
      14 Trent Green
      15 Steve McNair
      16 Matt Leinart
      17 Jay Cutler
      18 Vince Young
      19 Jeff Garcia
      20 Tony Romo
      21 Alex Smith
      22 Jon Kitna
      23 Eli Manning
      24 Damon Huard
      25 Jason Campbell
      26 Rex Grossman
      27 Byron Leftwich
      28 J.P. Losman
      29 Matt Schaub
      30 Josh McCown
      31 Tarvaris Jackson
      32 Charlie Frye

I didn't compare yours, side by side, with the list in the first post, but yours looks pretty good. A few random QB thoughts:
      • I'm not ready to give up on Eli, but based on recent play he needs to be middle of the pack or lower until he proves he can be consistant.
        Romo still has a ton to prove in my mind.
      • Leinart/Cutler/Young, I think are grouped in the right place, until one/all prove themselves. As to the discussion of who should be listed first/last. It's all hot air. Right now, none of them have proved anything, and they all bring different physical skills and 'potential' to their teams, but those three could be listed in ANY order and I would be ok with it, because it is too early to decide how they rank. Obviously, I hope when it is all said and done, that Cutler is clearly the best of the three, but right now, complaining is hot air.
      • Jake Dehlomme might be a bit high. Even in their super bowl year, he wasn't very consistant, but they were making lots of big plays.
      • While it seems many have given up on him, I think Big Ben will bounce back when healthy. I know nothing about the new coach, but if they open the offense up and put more pressure on Big Ben, I think he will respond well.
      • Bulger. Statistically, he should be that high, but I have trouble listing him that high. I have seen him make the worst play in the worst time, way too many times. He sort of reminds me of a guy that has a .400 batting average with nobody on base and a .200 with men on base.
      • Unlike some, I do think that McNabb deserves to be among the top QBs. Injuries aside, the guy has proven to be a very, very good QB.
      The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt

sigpic

Comment

yea. But Vick won early on with his legs to. He took them to the playoffs and was up for NFL MVP his first year starting. THen teams were able to scheme for his running, and were able to stop it, and he can't seem to win after that. Thats the way I see Young, and hence why I (right now) feel both Leinart and Cutler to be better NFL prospects.
        Nice counter with Vick rav....
        You've got to know when to sack em...

Comment

Originally posted by Hoserman117
          OKay well lets compare Leinarts first five games, to Cutlers first five games. Sounds fair?

Leinart
          Completed 51.6% of passes
          899 yards
          5 touchdowns
          5 interceptions
          0 wins
          66.9 QB rating

Cutler
          Completed 59.1% of passes
          1001 yards
          9 touchdowns
          5 interceptions
          88.5 QB rating
          2 wins
          Set an NFL record

To me, it looks like Cutler was better.

Even in Leinarts LAST 5 games as a starter once he had plenty of time to develop, Cutler outperformed him.

Heck, it took him twice as many games to get as many touchdowns as Cutler had.

And you can't say it was because of the teams either, they both were sacked the same number of times, 13, and Leinart had Fitzgerald, Boldin, and Bryant Johnson to throw to, along with the Edge in the backfield who averaged over 4.3 YPC for Leinarts last 5 games.
          One thing about these rankings, theres a bit of PROJECTION included...

Jay Cutler WILL have a STRONG RUNNING GAME and a good team around him next year. Will Leinart?
          You've got to know when to sack em...

Comment

Originally posted by Hoserman117
            OKay well lets compare Leinarts first five games, to Cutlers first five games. Sounds fair?

Leinart
            Completed 51.6% of passes
            899 yards
            5 touchdowns
            5 interceptions
            0 wins
            66.9 QB rating

Cutler
            Completed 59.1% of passes
            1001 yards
            9 touchdowns
            5 interceptions
            88.5 QB rating
            2 wins
            Set an NFL record

To me, it looks like Cutler was better.

Even in Leinarts LAST 5 games as a starter once he had plenty of time to develop, Cutler outperformed him.

Heck, it took him twice as many games to get as many touchdowns as Cutler had.

And you can't say it was because of the teams either, they both were sacked the same number of times, 13, and Leinart had Fitzgerald, Boldin, and Bryant Johnson to throw to, along with the Edge in the backfield who averaged over 4.3 YPC for Leinarts last 5 games.
            I sure as hell can say it is because of the teams. That is a HUGE factor. The Broncos were 13-3 the year before Jay took over (and went to the AFCCG) and 7-4 (I think, going by memory), when Jay took over last year. The Cardinals were 5-11 in '05, 5-11 in '06 (along with 6-10 in '04 and 4-12 in '03).

The Cardinals are a horrible team and had no support around Leinart. One example:

The running game, which is necessary for a balanced offense and to take pressure off the QB. The Cardinals had 1300 yards rushing, the Broncos had 2100 yards. Huge difference.

So, the statement shouldn't be, "And you can't say it was because of the teams either," but instead should be, "what person in their right mind WOULDN'T take into account the teams when comparing the success of young QBs?"

We all heard the various talking heads talking about how lucky Cutler was to be going to a winning organization and how that would allow him to be successful.
            The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt

sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X