Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • denverobsession

Your list of least-known favorite players

It seems like every year around this time I find one or two players buried deep in Denver’s roster (or even practice squad) that I begin championing to friends and family. Over the year’s only a couple have risen to the starting line up while most turn out to be duds — and are quietly sent packing. Here’s a look at some of my choices from the last few years:

In 1999-2000, I was enamored with 6th round pick, TE Desmond Clark. I thought he had mad skills and was sad to see him go after the 2001 season; however, he has had considerable success the last few years in Chicago.

In 2001 I began following another sixth round draft pick, Kevin Kasper. Kasper didn’t last long with the Broncos and has journeyed to several other teams.

In 2002-03 I must have been blessed with good judgment as I began pulling for Reuben Droughns and Sam Brandon (both unknowns at the time) . Droughns was a special team guy and FB then, and I was thrilled to see him rise up and capture the starting RB job in 2005 — even though I was most fond of his blocking ability. Brandon was also a big special teams guy that has now become an important part of our defense.

Starting in 2003-04, Nate Jackson caught my eye and have enjoyed watching him stick with the team (even through his move from WR to TE). Also Cecil Sapp (I love cheering for the undrafted guys!) which has worked his way into the starting FB competition this year.

In 2005 it was QB Bradlee Van Pelt and our newest (and shortest) CB, Darrent Williamswhat can I say, I also like to pull for the short guys! Darrent won the starting job his first year and BVP is now with the Houston Texans.

Last year it was undrafted RB Mike Bell, Safety Hamza Abdullah and WR David Kircus. Mike become a sensation last year by winning the backup job behind Tatum and Abdullah has had the honor of praise from players like Lynch and Ferguson, but Kircus didn’t get much playing time and remained mostly unnoticed last year.

This year, in addtion to keeping a close eye on Jackson, Abdullah, Kircus and the others, RB Andre Hall and Safety Roderick Rogers are two players I can’t wait to see this preseason. Both players are college free agents (Andre Hall was picked up by Tampa last year after the draft and Rogers was picked up this year by Denver) and both have the potential to compete at the next level.

Andre Hall played one year of High School football. However, in that one year he led the county in rushing yardage with 1,742 yards and 26 touchdowns on 227 carries (7.7 avg). After a brief time at the Georgia Military Academy, he returned to Florida to attend USF. Hall left the Bulls as the all-time leading rusher (2,731 yrd) on 480 carries. Had had 24 TD’s and caught 44 passes for 470 yrds (10.7 yrds avg). He also scored three times on kickoff returns. Over all, he passed the 100 yard mark 12 times in 23 games including two +200 yard outings. Tampa Bay picked Hall up as a undrafted free agent on May 1, 2006, but was waived at the end of July. Chicago signed him in August but waived him on Sept. 1. Denver signed Hall Nov. 15th of last year and he spent the last half of 2006 on the practise squad.

While Travis Henry seems to have the starting tailback position locked up, look for him to push Mike Bell and the rest of the RB’s.

Roderick Rogers was a two-year captain at Stephenson High School in Stone Mountain, GA. There Rogers posted 261 tackles, 13 interceptions, four forced fumbles and three fumble recoveries. He then spent three years as a starter at Wisconsin, where he played 42 career games (26 starts), compiling 99 tackles (66 solo), one fumble recovery, five interceptions (138 yds.) and 21 passes defensed. He received second-team All-Big Ten Conference accolades in each of his final two seasons at Wisconsin. As a senior in 2006, Rogers started all 13 games and registered 36 tackles to go along with two interceptions.

I have lived in both Tampa, FL and Atlanta, GA — So I could claim both these guys as home-town favorites, but the truth is I didn’t know either one until they were added to the Broncos roster. I think the real reason I like them is that neither one was drafted, and both come from smaller schools. Pulling for the underdog is always fun. Heck, I think that’s part of being a Denver Broncos fan. We pull for the underdogs, because we WERE underdogs for so long!

So, of all the unknown players we’ve added to the roster this off-season who are you watching this year?

Denver Obsessed
    MyDenverObsession.com
  • Gbt31
    All-Time Great
    • Nov 2003

I love Eric Brown and Vaugn Hebron....
    New England Patriots GM

Comment

• denverobsession

Originally posted by Gbt31
      Vaughn & Brown go back to the Super Bowl years -- very nice!

Ray Crockett was my guy back then -- not that he was totally unknown or anything, but I thought he rocked!

Comment

• CHARLIEADAMSFAN
        Locker 41-Glenn Davis
        • Sep 2006

man do i miss charlie being on the team at least hes still around I MISS DARRENT!!!!! AND DAMIEN TOO!!!!

RIP Darrent It's been one year, Gone but never Forgotten.

I Adopted JayCutler4MVP!!! and DJ Williams

Comment

• PatrickdaDookie
          Playmaker
          • Dec 2003

Patrick Jeffers was one of mine. =)

My adopted Bronco is Chris Kuper. Huzzah!

I am the raid leader for this World of Warcraft guild. Yay us!

Comment

• rockrules40
            Bench Warmer
            • Jan 2005

Darrian Gordan, great KR and good CB.

Comment

• ChampWJ
              to better days ahead....
              • Sep 2006

Interesting post guest. I'm an Atlanta native, so I can see what you mean. I always follow the UGA guys in the pro's. I'm obviously a huge Champ Bailey fan.

The under the radar guy I like is David Terrell. It doesn't make any sense to me why this guy isn't a better player. Last year, he got no opportunities in the preseason. He is ripped, and talent laden, and a former first rounder picked in front of lots of good players.

I think the guy knows this is probably his last chance, and should be motivated (which is never something he has lacked judging by his time in Chicago). He also seems to be an excellent blocker, but I think the knock on him was that he didn't play ST. I'll probably get flamed for this, but I'd like to see him make the team, even though I know the odds aren't in his favor.

Comment

• JoRo
                Playmaker
                • Jun 2004

Originally posted by denverobsession
                It seems like every year around this time I find one or two players buried deep in Denver’s roster (or even practice squad) that I begin championing to friends and family. Over the year’s only a couple have risen to the starting line up while most turn out to be duds — and are quietly sent packing. Here’s a look at some of my choices from the last few years:

In 1999-2000, I was enamored with 6th round pick, TE Desmond Clark. I thought he had mad skills and was sad to see him go after the 2001 season; however, he has had considerable success the last few years in Chicago.

In 2001 I began following another sixth round draft pick, Kevin Kasper. Kasper didn’t last long with the Broncos and has journeyed to several other teams.

In 2002-03 I must have been blessed with good judgment as I began pulling for Reuben Droughns and Sam Brandon (both unknowns at the time) . Droughns was a special team guy and FB then, and I was thrilled to see him rise up and capture the starting RB job in 2005 — even though I was most fond of his blocking ability. Brandon was also a big special teams guy that has now become an important part of our defense.

Starting in 2003-04, Nate Jackson caught my eye and have enjoyed watching him stick with the team (even through his move from WR to TE). Also Cecil Sapp (I love cheering for the undrafted guys!) which has worked his way into the starting FB competition this year.

In 2005 it was QB Bradlee Van Pelt and our newest (and shortest) CB, Darrent Williamswhat can I say, I also like to pull for the short guys! Darrent won the starting job his first year and BVP is now with the Houston Texans.

Last year it was undrafted RB Mike Bell, Safety Hamza Abdullah and WR David Kircus. Mike become a sensation last year by winning the backup job behind Tatum and Abdullah has had the honor of praise from players like Lynch and Ferguson, but Kircus didn’t get much playing time and remained mostly unnoticed last year.

This year, in addtion to keeping a close eye on Jackson, Abdullah, Kircus and the others, RB Andre Hall and Safety Roderick Rogers are two players I can’t wait to see this preseason. Both players are college free agents (Andre Hall was picked up by Tampa last year after the draft and Rogers was picked up this year by Denver) and both have the potential to compete at the next level.

Andre Hall played one year of High School football. However, in that one year he led the county in rushing yardage with 1,742 yards and 26 touchdowns on 227 carries (7.7 avg). After a brief time at the Georgia Military Academy, he returned to Florida to attend USF. Hall left the Bulls as the all-time leading rusher (2,731 yrd) on 480 carries. Had had 24 TD’s and caught 44 passes for 470 yrds (10.7 yrds avg). He also scored three times on kickoff returns. Over all, he passed the 100 yard mark 12 times in 23 games including two +200 yard outings. Tampa Bay picked Hall up as a undrafted free agent on May 1, 2006, but was waived at the end of July. Chicago signed him in August but waived him on Sept. 1. Denver signed Hall Nov. 15th of last year and he spent the last half of 2006 on the practise squad.

While Travis Henry seems to have the starting tailback position locked up, look for him to push Mike Bell and the rest of the RB’s.

Roderick Rogers was a two-year captain at Stephenson High School in Stone Mountain, GA. There Rogers posted 261 tackles, 13 interceptions, four forced fumbles and three fumble recoveries. He then spent three years as a starter at Wisconsin, where he played 42 career games (26 starts), compiling 99 tackles (66 solo), one fumble recovery, five interceptions (138 yds.) and 21 passes defensed. He received second-team All-Big Ten Conference accolades in each of his final two seasons at Wisconsin. As a senior in 2006, Rogers started all 13 games and registered 36 tackles to go along with two interceptions.

I have lived in both Tampa, FL and Atlanta, GA — So I could claim both these guys as home-town favorites, but the truth is I didn’t know either one until they were added to the Broncos roster. I think the real reason I like them is that neither one was drafted, and both come from smaller schools. Pulling for the underdog is always fun. Heck, I think that’s part of being a Denver Broncos fan. We pull for the underdogs, because we WERE underdogs for so long!

So, of all the unknown players we’ve added to the roster this off-season who are you watching this year?

Denver Obsessed
                MyDenverObsession.com
                Been to Stone Mountain, was pretty cool

I have to say I really like Greg and am pulling for him. Also like Mike and did last year when we got him... Curome Cox is on my list as well as Foxy (though he isn't unknown)
                Bronco fan from Packer Land.
                Lefty Writer on The Sports Show with Woody Paige and Les Shapiro
                Tweet me @JoRo_5551

Comment

• WABronco
                  I'M driving the bandwagon
                  • Mar 2005

Hamza Abdullah!

Comment

• MileHigher
                    Practice Squad
                    • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Gbt31

Yes! How can a guy with a name like V Hebron not be a favorite!

Comment

• Hawgdriver
                      Special Teams
                      • Oct 2006

Hixon and Abdullah. Especially Hixon. There has been a big thread about him recently, so I guess it doesn't seem too original, but I've been reserving special fan appreciation status for him since day 1. I think he'll be special.

I was excited about W. Duke last year, but it looks like that wasn't meant to be...for now.

Comment

• Broncosfreak_56
                        Playmaker
                        • May 2004

Curome Cox.
                        sigpic

Comment

• denverobsession

Originally posted by Hawgdriver
                          Hixon and Abdullah. Especially Hixon. There has been a big thread about him recently, so I guess it doesn't seem too original, but I've been reserving special fan appreciation status for him since day 1. I think he'll be special.

I was excited about W. Duke last year, but it looks like that wasn't meant to be...for now.
                          Yeah, I didn't mention Duke, but I was watching him closely for a personal connection (however slim). My brother attended Mercer, and since that school doesn't have a Football team the chance to see ANYONE from Mercer hit the Broncos line-up was pretty cool!

I heard he had rehabbed, but since this was his third or fourth knee injury, I think it might be the last we see him.

Denver Obsessed
                          MyDenverObsession.com

Comment

• bshaw36
                            Practice Squad
                            • Oct 2006

My landlord is good friends with Mustard so ill vote for him since he got to play a little.

Comment

• T55Bird
                              Practice Squad
                              • Aug 2005

I have always loved Steve Sewell. He was one of those players who went out and did everything that was asked of him.

Tyrone Braxton is another favorite. He seemed to be a spark plug on defense.

I loved Sam Brandon from the get go because of his story. His older brother was a huge Broncos fan. When Sam was still in college his brother committed suicide. On draft day, when the Broncos took Sam, the family looked at is as a sign. Sam was to go where his brother couldn't.
                              Proud Bronco fan since 1975. I just wish every football player out there today was more like my man Rod Smith. Knowing we will never see him on the field again is very hard. He gave everything he had and left his guts on the field. I will miss him.

Comment

Working...
                              X