Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mark Cuban Looks To Start New Pro Football League!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark Cuban Looks To Start New Pro Football League!!!!

Didn't see this anywhere guys. Sorry if I overlooked it. Do we have another XFL on our hands in the future?

Group eyes possibility of new football league

By DAVE GOLDBERG, AP Football Writer
    May 30, 2007

Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban is part of a group considering formation of a football league that would compete with the NFL for players drafted lower than the second round.

The league, still very much in the preliminary stage, would play its games on Friday nights. The NFL does not play then because of the potential conflict with high school football.

"It's a pretty simple concept," Cuban said in an e-mail to The Associated Press. "We think there is more demand for pro football than supply."

The proposal was first disclosed by The New York Times on its Web site, which said it was the idea of Bill Hambrecht, a Wall Street investor who was a minority partner in the Oakland Invaders of the USFL, which played in the spring from 1983-85. Sharon Smith, a spokeswoman for Hambrecht and Company, had no comment and said Hambrecht was traveling and unavailable to talk about the idea.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said he was aware of the proposed league, but had no further comment.

There have been numerous leagues that have tried to compete with the NFL and a few that actually played games, starting with the AFL, which began in 1960 and fully merged with the NFL a decade later. It included such current franchises as New England, Oakland, Kansas City, San Diego, Buffalo, the New York Jets and Denver.

More recently came the World Football League in the early 1970s, which raided the NFL for such stars as Larry Csonka. Then came the USFL, which played in the spring before folding after receiving only $3 in an antitrust "victory" over the NFL.

The USFL featured such future Hall of Famers as Jim Kelly, Reggie White and Steve Young, but lost millions of dollars trying to compete for players. It also had internal struggles among a majority of owners who wanted to stay in the spring, and the best known among them, Donald Trump, who wanted to move to the fall and try to force a merger with the NFL.

The most recent pro football league was the XFL, founded by the World Wrestling Federation and televised by NBC. The XFL lasted just three months in the spring of 2001 and was best known for a player named Rod Smart, called "He Hate Me," who later played as a return man and backup running back in the NFL.

So far, the proposed new league is in its infancy and Cuban is the only potential owner for what the founders hope will be an eight-team league.

Cuban said in his e-mail he believes the salary cap makes it easier to compete financially with the NFL because of the salary imbalance that leaves lower-level players with lower salaries. That would allow the new league to fill its rosters with players taken lower than the second round, as well as late NFL cuts and free agents who escape the NFL draft.

Many such players, including Tom Brady, a sixth-round pick of New England, have become NFL stars.

"That's not to say it will be easy. It won't," Cuban wrote. "We still have to cover quite a bit of ground and have a lot of milestones to hit. That said, if we can get the right owners I obviously think we can make this work."

Updated on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 5:16 pm EDT

Email to a Friend | View Popular

lol, Mark Cuban is such a dumba$$
    the guy has way to much money for his own good.

any football league besides the NFL is a joke
    sigpic

Comment

Actually, the guy is a financial genius. You should read some of his stuff sometimes. You don't have to attract NFL-type attendance to make money.

My adopted Bronco is Chris Kuper. Huzzah!

I am the raid leader for this World of Warcraft guild. Yay us!

Comment

yeah honestly i think its a good idea since it isnt no xfl or afl stuff....and hes putting the teams in big cities
        "If you fumble the ball, I will break off my foot in your John Brown hind parts; and then you will run a mile."My Adopted bronc is Duke Ihenacho

Comment

Mark cuban should stick to basketball. I can almost guarantee noone will choose to watch this league over the NFL... it just wont happen.
          "Chillez was right Brock is best champ in the UFC, I Jump on Mir bandwagon and he got crushed."

Chillez won the sig bet. Congrats. Up next for brock? Fedor... stay tuned.

Comment

Originally posted by OaklandxxRaider
            Mark cuban should stick to basketball. I can almost guarantee noone will choose to watch this league over the NFL... it just wont happen.

hes not that dumb...hes going to be having the games on week days so when people have nothing else to do and have no football to watch then they can turn on one of these games....im know i will....
            "If you fumble the ball, I will break off my foot in your John Brown hind parts; and then you will run a mile."My Adopted bronc is Duke Ihenacho

Comment

Originally posted by Broncos86
              hes not that dumb...hes going to be having the games on week days so when people have nothing else to do and have no football to watch then they can turn on one of these games....im know i will....
              Well, i know he's not dumb enough to run them the same time as the NFL. However, as far as ratings and fanbase go, he wont even come close to what the NFL has done... even if he does present a decent rival to the NFL, it will take years to get up to NFL status.
              "Chillez was right Brock is best champ in the UFC, I Jump on Mir bandwagon and he got crushed."

Chillez won the sig bet. Congrats. Up next for brock? Fedor... stay tuned.

Comment

Originally posted by PatrickdaDookie
                Actually, the guy is a financial genius. You should read some of his stuff sometimes. You don't have to attract NFL-type attendance to make money.
                So is Donald Trump and so is 'whats-his-face' from the WWF. Ask them how those alternate football leagues work. We have alternate football available, and we don't watch it. We have Arena league, the Canadian League, and the European league. Look at the numbers... people aren't watching!!

There is a need for more football..... NFL FOOTBALL. Despite that fact that so many believe in the 'field of dreams' theory of "if you build it, they will come," people KNOW their NFL. People know their football, and know the difference between quality from crap. We don't want to watch second rate players and teams.

If you don't have to attract NFL-typ attendance to make money, then why did the other football leagues fail?? Remember the AFL? Remember X league? BIG time investors feeling and thinking the same way Cuban is... and they failed!

Mark Cuban isn't paving a way here. He's not coming up with any new ideas and thinking outside the box. He's thinking of jumping into a box that has already been made..and broken down again.

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!!
                  So is Donald Trump and so is 'whats-his-face' from the WWF. Ask them how those alternate football leagues work. We have alternate football available, and we don't watch it. We have Arena league, the Canadian League, and the European league. Look at the numbers... people aren't watching!!

There is a need for more football..... NFL FOOTBALL. Despite that fact that so many believe in the 'field of dreams' theory of "if you build it, they will come," people KNOW their NFL. People know their football, and know the difference between quality from crap. We don't want to watch second rate players and teams.

If you don't have to attract NFL-typ attendance to make money, then why did the other football leagues fail?? Remember the AFL? Remember X league? BIG time investors feeling and thinking the same way Cuban is... and they failed!

Mark Cuban isn't paving a way here. He's not coming up with any new ideas and thinking outside the box. He's thinking of jumping into a box that has already been made..and broken down again.

they failed because they werent anything close to the NFL...they were going for something different meanwhile cuban will most likely be implementing the same rules and such as the NFL so what is to say that it will fail....people crave football and with his idea of making it on the weekdays when most of us crave football most he is sure to attract an adience

Comment

We all know what happend to the XFL.

Comment

i hope this would happen

but make it so there is football year around

so we never miss a dose of it!!

I still miss the blue background.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncos86
                        they failed because they werent anything close to the NFL...they were going for something different meanwhile cuban will most likely be implementing the same rules and such as the NFL so what is to say that it will fail....people crave football and with his idea of making it on the weekdays when most of us crave football most he is sure to attract an adience
                        But people don't just crave "any" football. If they did, people would be watching NFL Europe.. and they don't watch NFL Europe. People want quality football, and know the difference between big time players and quality football, and second rate crappy football. No one wants to sit down and spend three hours watching crappy football. The nature w ould always be to compare the play and players to the NFL, and they won't come close to comparing. They won't have the rivalry and the traditions of college, so again it won't even come close to college football.

The AFL wasn't something 'different.' It was an alternate league that was actually trying to compete with the NFL. They even signed BIG names coming out of college .. (Hershel Walker, Jim Kelly, and Doug Flutie off the top of my head). So although the league was signing big names, they couldn't compete.

The XFL tried alternative rules, but it was still football, right? The idea of providing some football to the offseason so that those 'craving' football would have something to watch? (Big Game Buzzer Noise here)

The idea has been tried. Its nothing new, and the fact is that it will last for 2 seasons and flop. What tv stations are going to carry it? What networks are going to take a chance on an alternate football league when the numbers for ALLLLLLLLLL the other football leagues are SOOOO freakin' LOW! They won't get a prime channel. If they don't get the prime channels, they won't get the advertising income.

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!!

He is planning on raising the salaries of the people playing the game, which is different than how the other leagues looked to be competitive.

The USFL was a spring league that didn't want to directly compete. Iirc Trump wanted to move the USFL to the fall to force a merger with the NFL but he was overruled. The XFL tried to compete with slightly different rules.

If he is serious about offering the players more money then he could offer a competitive league in five years. It will depend on the number of other financial backers they can get and the IPO that they are planning for the league.

Comment

If he had it on during the offseason I would definitely watch it, so long as there's no retarded rules like in the AFL or XFL.

Even if he just had it on during the NFL season, I would still watch it if they weren't on at the same time as an NFL game.

Comment

Originally posted by Fan in exile
                              He is planning on raising the salaries of the people playing the game, which is different than how the other leagues looked to be competitive.

The USFL was a spring league that didn't want to directly compete. Iirc Trump wanted to move the USFL to the fall to force a merger with the NFL but he was overruled. The XFL tried to compete with slightly different rules.

If he is serious about offering the players more money then he could offer a competitive league in five years. It will depend on the number of other financial backers they can get and the IPO that they are planning for the league.
                              (thank you, I kept saying AFL and meant the USFL....appreciate the correction)

So you think that raising the salaries of the players is the answer to... compete with the NFL? Or is he not trying to compete?

I see it being a league destined to fail. There have been others that have tried who are just as intelligent as Cuban, who have had just as much money and big name backing.... and it failed. There are reasons for that.

I don't want to watch crappy football. Thats why I don't watch the Canadian League, and why I don't watch NFL Europe. The numbers are SOOOOO low in ANY Of the alternate football leagues, that I just don't seeing it be a realistic success.

Comment

Working...
                              X