Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mark Cuban Looks To Start New Pro Football League!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ravage!!!
    But people don't just crave "any" football. If they did, people would be watching NFL Europe.. and they don't watch NFL Europe. People want quality football, and know the difference between big time players and quality football, and second rate crappy football. No one wants to sit down and spend three hours watching crappy football. The nature w ould always be to compare the play and players to the NFL, and they won't come close to comparing. They won't have the rivalry and the traditions of college, so again it won't even come close to college football.

The AFL wasn't something 'different.' It was an alternate league that was actually trying to compete with the NFL. They even signed BIG names coming out of college .. (Hershel Walker, Jim Kelly, and Doug Flutie off the top of my head). So although the league was signing big names, they couldn't compete.

The XFL tried alternative rules, but it was still football, right? The idea of providing some football to the offseason so that those 'craving' football would have something to watch? (Big Game Buzzer Noise here)

The idea has been tried. Its nothing new, and the fact is that it will last for 2 seasons and flop. What tv stations are going to carry it? What networks are going to take a chance on an alternate football league when the numbers for ALLLLLLLLLL the other football leagues are SOOOO freakin' LOW! They won't get a prime channel. If they don't get the prime channels, they won't get the advertising income.

but the thing with europe football is that it is from europe and you would have to purchase channells to watch it....people want to watch american sports and watch them for free which is what he is going to do...as for channels airing this new league cuban will probably pay them an ass load of money so that they wont even have to worry about how many people watch or dont, fact is cuban is rich and isnt afraid to spend money to make money....i can almost guarantee u he will pay off some primtime channels to air his stuff
    "If you fumble the ball, I will break off my foot in your John Brown hind parts; and then you will run a mile."My Adopted bronc is Duke Ihenacho

Comment

(thank you, I kept saying AFL and meant the USFL....appreciate the correction)

So you think that raising the salaries of the players is the answer to... compete with the NFL? Or is he not trying to compete?

I see it being a league destined to fail. There have been others that have tried who are just as intelligent as Cuban, who have had just as much money and big name backing.... and it failed. There are reasons for that.

I don't want to watch crappy football. Thats why I don't watch the Canadian League, and why I don't watch NFL Europe. The numbers are SOOOOO low in ANY Of the alternate football leagues, that I just don't seeing it be a realistic success.
      You're right on as far as this idea goes. He should look at how well(or not well) the other leagues are doing, and see that he will not do much better than them. In TV and radio, its all about ratings.... and if mark thinks he can surpass the NFL, he's kidding himself.
      "Chillez was right Brock is best champ in the UFC, I Jump on Mir bandwagon and he got crushed."

Chillez won the sig bet. Congrats. Up next for brock? Fedor... stay tuned.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncos86
        but the thing with europe football is that it is from europe and you would have to purchase channells to watch it....people want to watch american sports and watch them for free which is what he is going to do...as for channels airing this new league cuban will probably pay them an ass load of money so that they wont even have to worry about how many people watch or dont, fact is cuban is rich and isnt afraid to spend money to make money....i can almost guarantee u he will pay off some primtime channels to air his stuff
        you guarantee me? Trump had a buttload of money. The other guy (the WWF dude) had a TON of money.

*shrugs*.. we'll see. But I'm not going to hold my breath. People don't want second rate football, and thats what they would be getting with the alternate league. They won't get the viewers.

I personally think the NFL is so big BECAUSE the season is short. Baseball, basketball, and hockey seasons are just WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYyy toooooooooo long! So although this wont effect the NFL season, I think people will wait for the 'REAL NFL" rather than spending time watching any alternative football league with players that obviously aren't as good as the NFL. You 'll watch it once to check it out, say "huh"...and then find something else to do on Sundays until the NFL starts again.

Comment

Originally posted by OaklandxxRaider
          You're right on as far as this idea goes. He should look at how well(or not well) the other leagues are doing, and see that he will not do much better than them. In TV and radio, its all about ratings.... and if mark thinks he can surpass the NFL, he's kidding himself.
          He's never going to surpasss the NFL, and I don't think he's trying to. He feels that in the offseason he can get enough viewers to support a second league. But I personally don't think people will watch just 'any' football. They want to watch the NFL. Anything less is just... less.

Comment

He's never going to surpasss the NFL, and I don't think he's trying to. He feels that in the offseason he can get enough viewers to support a second league. But I personally don't think people will watch just 'any' football. They want to watch the NFL. Anything less is just... less.
            Exactly. My point is, i would think ultimately he would like to be as good as the NFL. That just wont happen. Its like you said... people will tune in, say "huh", and then find something else to do until the "real football" season starts.
            "Chillez was right Brock is best champ in the UFC, I Jump on Mir bandwagon and he got crushed."

Chillez won the sig bet. Congrats. Up next for brock? Fedor... stay tuned.

Comment

(thank you, I kept saying AFL and meant the USFL....appreciate the correction)

So you think that raising the salaries of the players is the answer to... compete with the NFL? Or is he not trying to compete?

I see it being a league destined to fail. There have been others that have tried who are just as intelligent as Cuban, who have had just as much money and big name backing.... and it failed. There are reasons for that.

I don't want to watch crappy football. Thats why I don't watch the Canadian League, and why I don't watch NFL Europe. The numbers are SOOOOO low in ANY Of the alternate football leagues, that I just don't seeing it be a realistic success.
              I don't see it as destined to fail if they learn from the failure of the USFL. First they need enough capital to be able to sustain at least 3 years of losses and probably a few more. This is just going to be how long it takes to build serious rosters and get everyone on the teams on the same page. Some teams will learn faster and some will learn slower but I think three years is good for getting most teams up to speed and competitive. Then you can see if they have a viable product or not.

They also need to have more stability in the front offices than the USFL did. There was just too much change for people to get attached to their franchise and develop an interest in "their" team.

I think raising salaries is one step in the process of competing with the NFL. That will attract players. Take Lance Briggs for example wouldn't he jump ship in a heartbeat? What about Marcus Thomas, 4th round pay in NFL or 2nd round pay in the new league?

If they lowered the age limit to two years out of high school that would get them some good players as well.

I think however that there are enough good possibilities that this is a good investment. They could just become a viable league, that people watch because the NFL isn't on. They could end up competing with the NFL. They could theoretically even replace the NFL. I think the reward is worth the risk.

Comment

So is Donald Trump and so is 'whats-his-face' from the WWF. Ask them how those alternate football leagues work. We have alternate football available, and we don't watch it. We have Arena league, the Canadian League, and the European league. Look at the numbers... people aren't watching!!
                Arena football is profitable. You don't have to get huge ratings to make money. When your players aren't making multi-million dollar salaries and you're not playing in billion dollar stadiums, you decrease the amount of revenue needed to make a profit.

I remember the Louisiana Ice Gators (who??). They are a AA minor league hockey team in Louisiana. They are never on television, but the people in the area were simply excited to have a (somewhat) professional sports team and the team has been successful.

I have a friend in Alaska and he says everyone is going to the Thursday night semi-pro football games for the exact same reason - there are markets available with people who want to go to sporting events.

You can't discount this as the XFL or anything else and immediaely claim it's not going to be successful. There is a market out there and there is definitely potential for a *smart* league to make a lot of money.

My adopted Bronco is Chris Kuper. Huzzah!

I am the raid leader for this World of Warcraft guild. Yay us!

Comment

Originally posted by Fan in exile
                  I don't see it as destined to fail if they learn from the failure of the USFL. First they need enough capital to be able to sustain at least 3 years of losses and probably a few more. This is just going to be how long it takes to build serious rosters and get everyone on the teams on the same page. Some teams will learn faster and some will learn slower but I think three years is good for getting most teams up to speed and competitive. Then you can see if they have a viable product or not.

They also need to have more stability in the front offices than the USFL did. There was just too much change for people to get attached to their franchise and develop an interest in "their" team.

I think raising salaries is one step in the process of competing with the NFL. That will attract players. Take Lance Briggs for example wouldn't he jump ship in a heartbeat? What about Marcus Thomas, 4th round pay in NFL or 2nd round pay in the new league?

If they lowered the age limit to two years out of high school that would get them some good players as well.

I think however that there are enough good possibilities that this is a good investment. They could just become a viable league, that people watch because the NFL isn't on. They could end up competing with the NFL. They could theoretically even replace the NFL. I think the reward is worth the risk.
                  Well.. then I hope it fails. I don't want the NFL watered down, and thats exactly what will happen. There aren't enough great football players to fill up both leagues. If they have the success you believe they can have (I don't believe they will)....then it will do nothing but thin out the talent pool, and therefore lessen the football that we have come to love.

IF they lower down the age limit, it will then lessen the quality of college football as well. I hope the very things that you are suggesting are NOT the things they do. It would make football in our nation a watered down version of what we know, and end up looking like the NBA....c rap.

Comment

Great, so we can see him cry and whine at another sport.

Comment

Originally posted by PatrickdaDookie
                      Arena football is profitable. You don't have to get huge ratings to make money. When your players aren't making multi-million dollar salaries and you're not playing in billion dollar stadiums, you decrease the amount of revenue needed to make a profit.

I remember the Louisiana Ice Gators (who??). They are a AA minor league hockey team in Louisiana. They are never on television, but the people in the area were simply excited to have a (somewhat) professional sports team and the team has been successful.

I have a friend in Alaska and he says everyone is going to the Thursday night semi-pro football games for the exact same reason - there are markets available with people who want to go to sporting events.

You can't discount this as the XFL or anything else and immediaely claim it's not going to be successful. There is a market out there and there is definitely potential for a *smart* league to make a lot of money.

If it so profitable, why are so many arena league teams going belly up??? because they Do NOT get the crowds!! They aren't putting people in the seats, and people are DEFINITELY not watching it on tv.

Comment

I didn't like the XFL, I don't really like Arena football, I doubt I'll like this new one.
                        Ready for the friggen season already!

Comment

Well.. then I hope it fails. I don't want the NFL watered down, and thats exactly what will happen. There aren't enough great football players to fill up both leagues. If they have the success you believe they can have (I don't believe they will)....then it will do nothing but thin out the talent pool, and therefore lessen the football that we have come to love.

IF they lower down the age limit, it will then lessen the quality of college football as well. I hope the very things that you are suggesting are NOT the things they do. It would make football in our nation a watered down version of what we know, and end up looking like the NBA....c rap.
                          I actually agree with you on this post, if for slightly different reasons. If they do offer bigger contracts I think that's going to screw up labor relations completely. 8 new teams out there all offering big money will IMO create a demand for players that is artificially which will screw up the league when it crashes.

The salary cap would actually put the NFL at a competitive disadvantage because they simply couldn't offer the money to compete.

Comment

Originally posted by Fan in exile
                            I actually agree with you on this post, if for slightly different reasons. If they do offer bigger contracts I think that's going to screw up labor relations completely. 8 new teams out there all offering big money will IMO create a demand for players that is artificially which will screw up the league when it crashes.

The salary cap would actually put the NFL at a competitive disadvantage because they simply couldn't offer the money to compete.
                            I just don't see the new league being able to offer that kind of money. But then again, its those first couple of years where they are playing with the bank's money, and not the earned money, and why the league will fail. IF they offer larger salaries than the NFL, then they are just writing their own failure notice.

The USFL tried to offer bigger contracts as well, if I remember correctly. Thats how they were able to attract people like Kelly, Walker and Flutie. That and advertising against the "No Fun League." I personally don't see this being any different.

Comment

[QUOTE=Scheffler88]Didn't see this anywhere guys. Sorry if I overlooked it. Do we have another XFL on our hands in the future?

Group eyes possibility of new football league

By DAVE GOLDBERG, AP Football Writer
                              May 30, 2007

Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban is part of a group considering formation of a football league that would compete with the NFL for players drafted lower than the second round.

The league, still very much in the preliminary stage, would play its games on Friday nights. The NFL does not play then because of the potential conflict with high school football.

"It's a pretty simple concept," Cuban said in an e-mail to The Associated Press. "We think there is more demand for pro football than supply."

The proposal was first disclosed by The New York Times on its Web site, which said it was the idea of Bill Hambrecht, a Wall Street investor who was a minority partner in the Oakland Invaders of the USFL, which played in the spring from 1983-85. Sharon Smith, a spokeswoman for Hambrecht and Company, had no comment and said Hambrecht was traveling and unavailable to talk about the idea.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said he was aware of the proposed league, but had no further comment.

There have been numerous leagues that have tried to compete with the NFL and a few that actually played games, starting with the AFL, which began in 1960 and fully merged with the NFL a decade later. It included such current franchises as New England, Oakland, Kansas City, San Diego, Buffalo, the New York Jets and Denver.

More recently came the World Football League in the early 1970s, which raided the NFL for such stars as Larry Csonka. Then came the USFL, which played in the spring before folding after receiving only $3 in an antitrust "victory" over the NFL.

The USFL featured such future Hall of Famers as Jim Kelly, Reggie White and Steve Young, but lost millions of dollars trying to compete for players. It also had internal struggles among a majority of owners who wanted to stay in the spring, and the best known among them, Donald Trump, who wanted to move to the fall and try to force a merger with the NFL.

The most recent pro football league was the XFL, founded by the World Wrestling Federation and televised by NBC. The XFL lasted just three months in the spring of 2001 and was best known for a player named Rod Smart, called "He Hate Me," who later played as a return man and backup running back in the NFL.

So far, the proposed new league is in its infancy and Cuban is the only potential owner for what the founders hope will be an eight-team league.

Cuban said in his e-mail he believes the salary cap makes it easier to compete financially with the NFL because of the salary imbalance that leaves lower-level players with lower salaries. That would allow the new league to fill its rosters with players taken lower than the second round, as well as late NFL cuts and free agents who escape the NFL draft.

Many such players, including Tom Brady, a sixth-round pick of New England, have become NFL stars.

"That's not to say it will be easy. It won't," Cuban wrote. "We still have to cover quite a bit of ground and have a lot of milestones to hit. That said, if we can get the right owners I obviously think we can make this work."

I have a better idea mark you should buy the rockies, i can dream can't I

ps don't waste your time or your money !!!!
                              Last edited by Eddiemac730; 05-31-2007, 12:42 PM.
                              "January 25, 1998: The night God answered our prayers

Comment

I just don't see the new league being able to offer that kind of money. But then again, its those first couple of years where they are playing with the bank's money, and not the earned money, and why the league will fail. IF they offer larger salaries than the NFL, then they are just writing their own failure notice.

The USFL tried to offer bigger contracts as well, if I remember correctly. Thats how they were able to attract people like Kelly, Walker and Flutie. That and advertising against the "No Fun League." I personally don't see this being any different.
                                I don't necessarily see it as being different. I do however think that on paper right now it looks different. They do plan on having enough capital and I find the IPO to be an intriguing idea. Part of that is that I live in Wisconsin and I know how much it means to people to point at a team and say, "I own them." It means a lot even when the ownership is completely pointless.

I think the USFL was very close to being a success if they had 500 million more in capital I think they would still be around. Or at least have merged with the NFL. The game plan is there, however the execution is questionable.

Comment

Working...
                                X