• Show
Clear All

• Ramsey learning system quickly

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_6033499

Ramsey learning system quickly
    QB adjusts well to new offense
    By Tom Kensler Denver Post Staff Writer
    Article Last Updated: 06/01/2007 03:34:51 AM MDT

Backup quarterback Patrick Ramsey says he is adjusting well to Denver's offensive system. (Post / Hyoung Chang)
    Signed as a free agent to be the Broncos' backup quarterback, Patrick Ramsey has surprised even himself by how quickly he is learning the offense.

Ramsey, a sixth-year pro who has 24 career starts in the NFL, isn't sure the smooth adjustment is a result of him being older and wiser, or because Mike Shanahan's offense makes so much sense.

"It's my first time in this system, and I'm still adjusting," Ramsey said. "But I feel like I'm picking it up quicker than I have with other systems.

"Maybe the teams I've been with ran kind of a hybrid of what we're doing. Everybody kind of takes from other teams."

All of Ramsey's starts came with the Washington Redskins, who drafted him in the first round (32nd overall) out of Tulane in 2002. In 2003, Ramsey started 11 games, throwing for career bests of 2,166 yards and 14 touchdowns against nine interceptions. A trade brought Ramsey to the New York Jets last season, but he played in only one game and attempted only one pass.

"I don't want to get into comparing and contrasting (with other organizations), but I will say this: I'm very content and happy here, with the way things are run and the coaches we have," Ramsey said Thursday after a two-hour team camp workout. "I feel it's a real good move for me.

"I love the stability here; it was just really attractive to me," he added. "One of my good friends, Trey Teague, played here (1998-2001), and he spoke highly of this organization."

Ramsey, 6-feet-3 and 225 pounds, understands and accepts his role as Jay Cutler's backup. The two get along great, Ramsey said.

"Jay is a really good player," Ramsey said. "He's an intelligent guy. He's a really good guy. He's going to be the real deal."

Fenton adjusting

Former University of Colorado center Mark Fenton, an undrafted rookie, is working at offensive guard during the mini-camps.

Fenton, 6-4 and 295 pounds, practiced some at guard while at CU but never played that position in a game.

"If you can play center, you can play guard," he said. "There isn't much difference."

As a junior at CU, Fenton was one of six finalists for the 2005 Rimington Award, given to the nation's best center. He earned 2006 preseason all-Big 12 honorable mention and was on several All-America watch lists. But a fractured right fibula limited his senior season to six games.

"It's 100 percent," Fenton said of his leg. "I don't have any problems with it at all."

Footnotes

Fifth-year pro Eddie Moore, a free-agent acquisition, is working with the first team at strongside linebacker. That's the position formerly held by D.J. Williams, who moved to middle linebacker when Al Wilson was released. "D.J. gives me a lot of tips - run fast," said Moore, who knows the system better than other newcomers because he played for Broncos defensive coordinator Jim Bates while with the Miami Dolphins. ... A nifty juke move by wide receiver Javon Walker made Nick Ferguson fall down in coverage, and the veteran safety accepted some good-natured razzing from teammates.
    sigpic

sig by B4B6..

I think Ramsey is one of the most underrated signings we have. He's young, still has upside and has starting experience. It'll be nice to have a quality back-up. It's been a while.

Comment

If we see Ramsey this season, I will cry.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowlensbest3233
        If we see Ramsey this season, I will cry.

Not necessarily. 45-3 blowouts can be fun to watch.
        "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is." -Yogi Berra

"All models are wrong, but some are useful."

Comment

Originally posted by CSU_stat
          Or, him starting in week 17 because we already have home field advantage

R.I.P. Darrent & Damien

Comment

Originally posted by BleedforBroncos
            Or, him starting in week 17 because we already have home field advantage
            dont get too cocky now my friend.

Comment

Good that hes learning. I never want to see him on the field, but, its good he will be ready.
              sigpic

I think Ben Tate will be the best back taken in the 2010 draft. (5/3/10)
              SportsXPicks, check out the Rants and Opinions section

Comment

Much better back-up than Kanell or BVP

Comment

I am sure if we are down and need a score in the fourth quarter without JAY we
                  are more hopefull with Ramsey than our previous,back-ups

Comment

Originally posted by Dream
                    I think Ramsey is one of the most underrated signings we have. He's young, still has upside and has starting experience. It'll be nice to have a quality back-up. It's been a while.
                    I couldnt agree more.

I really like having him as our backup.

If Jay cant play for some reason, I feel good about Ramsey.
                    sigpic

Comment

I agree completely. Competent Back-ups are hard to find

Comment

Originally posted by CSU_stat
                        Yeah, Jay can sit the 4th quarter after helping the Broncos to a 35 point lead.

Comment

Ooh I wouldn't mind seeing a video of Javons juke on Ferguson

Comment

Originally posted by Hoserman117
                            Ooh I wouldn't mind seeing a video of Javons juke on Ferguson
                            Seriously, I want to see it as well!
                            sigpic

Comment

Ya'll act like you forgot about BVP......

Comment

Working...
                              X