Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sporting News article on Shanahan

Thought you all would enjoy this;

The criticism has become so common, it's almost a cliche: Mike Shanahan is nothing without John Elway.

Yes, and Emeril is nothing without butter. Willie Nelson is nothing without that old guitar. And Santa Claus is nothing without flying reindeer.

These are the facts: Since Elway's retirement five years ago, Shanahan has coached the Broncos to a 44-36 record; the team has had only one losing season -- finishing fifth, second, third, second and second in the AFC West -- and has made the playoffs twice, only to be knocked out in the first round both times.

Not bad. Not great. Certainly not great given the expectations in Denver, where the Broncos won back-to-back Super Bowls in Elway's last seasons.

But what did anyone expect? The Broncos not only lost Elway, they also essentially lost running back Terrell Davis, the former NFL most valuable player whose last 1,000-yard rushing season coincided with Elway's final season. Now you're taking away butter and sugar.

And Shanahan was left with a talented roster that was missing a difference-maker. The Broncos' subsequent performances have reflected that. That's not to say the Broncos have not been consistently well-prepared and well-coached. Even though Shanahan is a big-picture guy, he does pay attention to every detail. He's extremely organized and anticipates as well as any coach. He works like a bumblebee. If the Broncos would fire him tomorrow, there would be a line of teams willing to fire their coaches and hire him.

"Mike Shanahan is one of the best," Seahawks coach Mike Holmgren says. "Everyone knows it. Ask anybody about him, and they'll tell you he's outstanding. He's very disciplined, very thorough. He communicates well with his players. His teams play very hard, very hard."

Shanahan remains one of the NFL's premier offensive minds. "Mike does as good a job as anybody in the league in attacking defenses with his offensive personnel," Titans coach Jeff Fisher says. "Look at what he does on third down, and in critical situations, or how he runs the football. He does as nice of a job as anybody in the league from a game-planning standpoint."

At times, Shanahan's coaching has been brilliant. Remember the Broncos' 31-17 road victory over the Colts in a must-win game last December? At other times, his decisions have been questionable. His choice to rest a number of key players against the Packers in the regular-season finale looked regrettable one week later when the Broncos lost to those same Colts, 41-10.

Shanahan might not be getting as much help from his assistants as he once did. He has lost some coaches with pedigrees, including Mike Heimerdinger, now the Titans offensive coordinator; Karl Dorrell, now the head coach at UCLA; Ray Rhodes, now the defensive coordinator of the Seahawks, and, most regrettably, Alex Gibbs, now the offensive line coach of the Falcons.

Some of these veteran coaches -- Gibbs in particular -- might have felt more comfortable challenging Shanahan than some of the coaches currently on the Broncos' staff. Shanahan is something of an icon in Denver, and some assistant coaches might be too intimidated to stand up to him. Without an open exchange of opinions and ideas, however, Shanahan won't be as effective as he could be. Synergy almost always is a force in the best game plans.

In addition to making contributions to game plans, Gibbs was a lightning rod for the team. Shanahan isn't much of a motivator, and nobody else on the staff really has taken on that role.

The Broncos' coaching would not be scrutinized so closely if Shanahan had made better personnel decisions. His greatest failings have been in player investment. The Broncos' draft record is distorted by some high-profile whiffs. If receiver Ashley Lelie does not come on this year, the Broncos will have missed on four of five first-round picks from 1998 to 2002.

Like other head coaches with control over personnel, Shanahan minimized character and became infatuated with the talents of free agents such as Daryl Gardener, Dale Carter, Chester McGlockton and Leon Lett. He also identified Brian Griese as Elway's successor and signed him to a lucrative long-term deal.

It appears Shanahan has learned from his mistakes. Over the current offseason, the Broncos have acquired high-character players such as safety John Lynch, cornerback Champ Bailey, running back Garrison Hearst and defensive tackle Luther Elliss.

Some of the grumbling about Shanahan is inevitable because of how long he has been in Denver. The 10-year Rule states that no NFL head coach should stick around past 10 years because the environment becomes stale without change. And a little change indeed might invigorate the Broncos. They might be better served, for example, giving competent general manager Ted Sundquist more say over personnel matters and allowing Shanahan to focus more on coaching.

Shanahan is entering his 10th year with the Broncos. But he's special enough to be an exception to any rule.

Senior writer Dan Pompei covers the NFL for Sporting News. Email him at [email protected].

Good post ! This article was on the money.

Comment

yes it is true that we haven't won a playoff game.

But unlike other teams we haven't had seasons in the Shanahan Era where we've been embarassed to be fans!!

We got rid of Griese, and now have a good QB. I really don't think the running game will suffer because Shanahan picked up on what Gibbs was doing. The passing game is going to explode this year with Lelie, SPidaman aka Darius Watts, and mr. reliable Rod Smith.

It's taken time to work out some kinks but our time is now and the Shanahan Era will coninue into the future with great success.

In all honesty i wouldn't want any other coach on that sidelines than MIke for the next 15 years! Other coaches let their players run the show, but with mike you either respect him, the team, and the city or get the hell out! i love it.

Comment

Why don't people relize that replacing a QB like Elway isn't an easy thing to do? Shanny's not gonna be perfect. You gotta find the right players. I hope this year we show everyone up. The 5 year playoff win drought, we kill that. Shanny isn't what he used to be, we kill that. The Portis-Bailey trade, we kill that. Havent won a division title since 1998, we kill that.

All the Bronco haters just gotta stfu..
        sigpic

Comment

I would love for the Broncos to win the Superbowl every year, but lets be realistic, thats never going to happen. Im happy as long as we field a team that is in it every game, plays at cpmpetetive levels and does not shame us. Look how long we went before these 2 Superbowl victories, never once was I embarassed to be a fan. No one game every did or will come down to a single coaching mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyJ
            I would love for the Broncos to win the Superbowl every year, but lets be realistic, thats never going to happen. Im happy as long as we field a team that is in it every game, plays at cpmpetetive levels and does not shame us. Look how long we went before these 2 Superbowl victories, never once was I embarassed to be a fan.
            http://www.nfl-fans.com/index.php?sh...0&#entry687364

Check out that topic. They are acting like the Broncos aren't as good as last season..BUT WE HAVE GOTTEN BETTER!
            sigpic

Comment

I start every season thinking we could win the Superbowl, no matter who we have or dont have. Until we are eliminated from the playoffs, I always, no matter how unlikely think we COULD win the Superbowl.
              Anything can happen.

Comment

I start every season thinking we could win the Superbowl, no matter who we have or dont have. Until we are eliminated from the playoffs, I always, no matter how unlikely think we COULD win the Superbowl.
                Anything can happen.
                I don't think superbowl but I think playoffs.. Now this year i'm thinking superbowl..
                sigpic

Comment

Nice article. Thanks for sharing!

Shanny will be around for a while to see the Broncos go back to the big show!

Once he gets the team to gel this year I think they have a legitimate shot.

"Gateway leading to the AFC West"

Comment

Good article, but how come they said his decision to rest key players in the green bay game was questionable? Also, they said the loss of ray rhodes was big, i hated the way our D played under him, zero pressure on the QB. But seriously, it's about time someone shows a little love for the broncos, no one ever does.

I like my defensive tackles like I like my women: well over 300 lbs.
                    ABWRFRC

Comment

Originally posted by PRBronco
                      it's about time someone shows a little love for the broncos, no one ever does.
                      That's not true at all.
                      Suck is NOT a bronco fan.

Comment

we at least have 2 make the playoffs but IMO go deep in the playoffs otherwise there wont be just heat on shanny's seat it'll be on fire...w/ all these additions n the big trade n we stay fairly injury free i think at least AFC championship game is def. possible..

Comment

Originally posted by bronco30
                          we at least have 2 make the playoffs but IMO go deep in the playoffs otherwise there wont be just heat on shanny's seat it'll be on fire...w/ all these additions n the big trade n we stay fairly injury free i think at least AFC championship game is def. possible..
                          Most fans will understand that it takes a while to gel.......

...but it would be nice to see that happen early and we kick some booty!
                          "It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate,
                          tireless minority keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of
                          men."

-- Samuel Adams

sigpicJacks RULE!!!!!!

Comment

*just laughs at you!!!* AHAHAHAHAHA

Comment

I would love for the Broncos to win the Superbowl every year, but lets be realistic, thats never going to happen. Im happy as long as we field a team that is in it every game, plays at cpmpetetive levels and does not shame us. Look how long we went before these 2 Superbowl victories, never once was I embarassed to be a fan. No one game every did or will come down to a single coaching mistake.
                              Well, said my Man. I too feel that same way. Been a Fan of this team since I was six and was always proud to call myself a Denver Broncos Fan.

Comment

Working...
                              X