Sporting News article on Shanahan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Razor

Shanny does have his downsides I will grant you that. All coaches make poor decisions from time to time that can cause a turn in the game.

But to say that the Broncos didn't play anyone in the SB's is crazy. If they weren't the best then why were they there? I guess all the good teams in the NFC didn't play that year. It takes a good team to get to the SB period. Green Bay was going for their 2nd in a row...not good? Atlanta was 14 and 2 that year....not good? Please!

Denver had an elite team those two years and that is just that. Of course the threat of Elway always kept defenses honest but that is what makes a team elite....elite players!

I do agree that if Shanny doesn't start producing he may be on his way out. Bottom line is that the Denver Broncos football club is a business and the playoffs and SB's are money....big money!

"Gateway leading to the AFC West"

Comment

Great Article I agree with ervery sinngle word in this post... Shanny is nothing special

Look at this guy!!! He is kicking some asses!!!

|||||Broncos Rulez|||||

Comment

Shanahan is great. You can't win the Super Bowl or AFC Title EVERY year.

And for that matter, if you would have told me after '98, that we'd only have ONE losing season and be back to a competitive level, I would've hit the ceiling in disbelief!

I don't think any other team has had a competitive three year span such as Denver. Almost EVERY game the last 2 or 3 seasons has been exciting. We don't win 42-nil, but we don't tend to lose 42-nil, either.

I usually can guarantee I'll be sweating my Denver hat out each Sunday every fall...and that my friends, is good, competitive, exciting football!

Thanks mostly...to Mike Shanahan!
        "Man, I thought this was just a picture or something!"

-John Elway
        As he held the Vince Lombardi trophy in the lockeroom following Super Bowl XXXII

Comment

Originally posted by PokeysLittleDog
          Shanahan is great. You can't win the Super Bowl or AFC Title EVERY year.

And for that matter, if you would have told me after '98, that we'd only have ONE losing season and be back to a competitive level, I would've hit the ceiling in disbelief!

I don't think any other team has had a competitive three year span such as Denver. Almost EVERY game the last 2 or 3 seasons has been exciting. We don't win 42-nil, but we don't tend to lose 42-nil, either.

I usually can guarantee I'll be sweating my Denver hat out each Sunday every fall...and that my friends, is good, competitive, exciting football!

Thanks mostly...to Mike Shanahan!
          Great post Pokey, couldn't agree with you more!

Comment

On another thread, I read where a lot of teams would fire there coach if Mike became avalible, true enough. I went both days to Fan Fair and spent many hours at the discussions with Kubiak, Bobby Turner, Jim Goodman ( Director of Scouting) and Larry Coyer. Mike doesn't run the team by himself contrary to public opinion. And I think that most of the rest of the NFL wants to win too ( except for San Diego). The cliche is out there that on any given Sunday etc, but it is so true. With the great guys we got this year ( Lynch, Bailey, Bell and some of the veteren role players ) I see us moving way up. Heck last year we were in the top 5 in offense and defense. We must be doing something right. We just had a few bad apple players who needed to go and did. And we didn't need Jake to go down to injury.
            Bronco Bob

Comment

Re: As an outsider...

Originally posted by Black59Razor
              Perhaps I can give you an 'outsiders' version of how Shanahan is viewed....

OK, if you Bronco fans want to consider Shanny among the league's best coaches, for the sake of argument, I won't argue the point.
              I happen to disagree...I think Shanny was nothing more than the right guy at the right time to get the broncos to the Super Bowl...and, let's face it, the Broncos were not a dominant Super Bowl team. Alot of NFL fans thought you all got over getting to play Atlanta in a Super Bowl...and you won a shootout against Green Bay...but NFL fans are not going to put you in the 'elite' catagory of the NFL's great teams, because you simply were not.

Alas, it does not matter, you got the trophies, but you were also lucky you did not play better teams in the Bowls. But the timing was right, and a ring is a ring is a ring....

I don't think that the great coaches in the NFL would punt to the games most dangerous kick returner in the crucial final minutes of a tough, hard fought game against an important divisional rival like the Chiefs.
              But Shanahan did.

I don't think that a great coach allows his punt returner to let a free kick in a safety situation get behind him in virtually the only situation that could beat his team, as it did against the Patriots. But Shanahan did.

A great coach does not admit in his post-game press conference that he was not 'aware' of a senario where a missed FG could be returned for a TD, as it was on that Monday night game against Baltimore two years ago. But Shanahan did.

A great coach commands greater respect and attention to detail from his players than to argue who blew an assignment as the opposing teams WR gets up and runs 30 yds into the end zone for a TD, and humiliates and embarasses it's fans, team and coaches the way that play in Indy did. Shanahan did not have them ready to play mentally, and that is on him, period.

I have yet to witness a game where Shanny 'stole' a game because of his sheer will and the force hw weilds on his team...the same way Bellichick stole that Monday night game against you a year ago....

I could go on, but I think Al Davis said it best...an NFL Coach has about ten years in a given place, and that's it...if you think about it, he's right. Don Shula, Tom Landry and Chuck Noll primarily won most of their Championships in that initial ten year window, with some exceptions. But the lion's share of their success was early, and they 'hung on' the last few years of their career.

Including his years as an assistant, Shanny is approaching, what his seventeenth year or so in Denver?

He wanted to take that Florida job more than any of you want to admit, and he was essentially guilted into staying by Pat Bowlen.

The main reason, however, Shanahan and the Broncos are wallowed in mediocrity however, is the Broncos personnel Dept.,
              or lack thereof. Ted Sundquist is a puppet, and there is no one
              there to make Shanny sit down or play golf on Draft Day, and that is what the Broncos need more than anything. I personally rank Shanny and Holmgren as neck and neck as far as coaching ability....but the Seahawks did what the Broncos should do, and that is make him a coach, period....in Shanny's case, however, he would never accept that, and that will be his downfall, because frankly, he is just not that good of a talent evaluator.

Do not be supriosed, Bronco fans, if this is Shanny's last year....

John Elway is not running that arena team for nothing...he is cutting his teeth on how to be a GM in the NFL...

My prediction is, if and when Shanny leaves, Elway will be brought back to the Broncos as the GM....and hire...Jim Fassel.

You heard it here first...
              Razor, I hateto say it, but I have to agree witrh you on a lot of this. I have for a long time thought Shanny's in game coaching has been suspect, at best.

I will argue with you about is that the Bronco SB teams are an elite team and vastly underated. Let me give you some numbers

From 96-98 They posted a 46-10 record. The best 3 year record by any team/any combinnation since the 16-game schedule.

Keep in mind that in both 96 and 98 the Broncos had everything wrapped up by week 13. They went 2-4 in those so called meaningless games.

This team lost 6 meaningful games in a 3 year period.

During that 3 year span had winning streaks of 10 and 18 games.

Won 7 straight playoff games

Outscored opponents 95-33 in 98 Playoffs, third highest differential in history.

Those are numbers, now some intangibles

Just look at the players:

Arguably the greatest QB ever
              Definately the best TE
              A 2000 yd rusher
              Not a spectacular but a steady, tough receiving corps
              AN OL that we didn't know then but time has proved, to be a yard producing machine
              One of the top 10 kickers of all time
              Thgeir PR at the time had the greatest YPR at the time.

The defense did not have that same kind of talent, but was vastly underated, A lot of Bronco games duuring that period were over by halftime, the defense hada lot of yards and points scored on them during garbage time.

Again in the 98 SB run, the defense did not give up a TD until the 4th quarter of the Super Bowl, except for a 1 yd TD drive following a blocked punt in the AFC Championship.

Was that defense dominant? NO but a lot better than people want to give them credit for.

As far as your comment about them not playing the best? That is complete hogwash, IN 97 they beat the defending champion and the team witht he best record in the league. They beat the best to become the best.

True, Minnesota was probably a better team than the Falcons, but they couldn't close the deal and the Falcons came into that Super Bowl 16-2. And the Broncos still sent them home battered and beaten.

All time lists, are very subjective. And as a fan of course I am biased. But these numbers don't lie. The Broncos from 96-98 statistacally had the best 3 year stretch. Had they not lost to the Jags in 96, they MIGHT have won 3 in a row. And gone down as the best team to date. If's and But's though. If I had to rank that Bronco team all time. I would put them behind the Steelers of the 70's, Packers of the 60's and the Niners of the 80's, but ahead of the Cowboys of the early 90's, probably 5-7 all time.

Comment

Nice post SCI03.

"Gateway leading to the AFC West"

Comment

Working...
                X