#1 defence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #1 defence

With all the upgrades our defence has gotten this off season, do you think denver will have the #1 defence in the NFL??

without

mobley, gold and all the changes its unlikely but most certainly top 5.

Comment

Hopefully...I mean, you always pray for rain..but being more of a "glass is half empty" kinda guy I always look at the losses more than the gains..

-Ian Gold
      -John Mobley
      -Marco Coleman
      -Maybe Raylee Johnson

Yikes!

But hopefully they'll pull it together.
      "Man, I thought this was just a picture or something!"

-John Elway
      As he held the Vince Lombardi trophy in the lockeroom following Super Bowl XXXII

Comment

Re: Re: #1 defence

Originally posted by jdslick2
        The Dolphins, Steelers and Titans could be very good defensively next season. Then there's always the Patriots.
        The Steelers? Are you on drugs? They're defense blows. All they have is Bell and Porter.

Doesn't he look good?

Comment

I feel like we have a very good chance at being the # 1 defense. We have lost some key defenders but I feel like the people we picked up more than compensates for it. There is an article that talks about how the D is coming along great too, this coming from veterans (including Lynch). We'll just have to wait and see what happens I guess, but I'm feeling good about it

"But through a month of workouts and drills left defenders like Lynch, Bailey and six-season veteran Al Wilson raving about the cohesion and chemistry the defense has achieved during the organized team activities and the offseason conditioning sessions."

Here's the whole article if you're interested:

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.ph...4&storyID=2533
          My other love...
          sigpic
          305 HP / 273 TQ / SH-AWD / 6MT

Comment

i believe we should be as good and hopefully better than last year, if you could rate talent on a scale we sure didnt go down
            sigpic
            when do native Americans become human and not mascots

Comment

Re: #1 defence

Originally posted by hombre_399
              With all the upgrades our defence has gotten this off season, do you think denver will have the #1 defence in the NFL??
              Depending on what stat you use to determine the #1....

We were 4th last year in yards per game, 9th in points per game, and tied for 28th in takeaways (ranking 32nd in the league in INT's). Usually, the YPG is used to determine the ranking, but I think that it's better to use a combination of the 3 stats above, or at least the YPG and PPG.

4th, 9th, 28th averages to 13.67.... that's not a ranking, but rather closer to an "index" value. Basically, the lower the number the better.

For comparison purposes and using the same formula...

NE - 3.33
              Balt - 3.33
              TB - 6
              Dal - 7.33

Do any of us doubt that NE and Baltimore indeed had the best defenses last year?

I actually think that the takeaway stat needs to be weighted less in my formula than the YPG and PPG. Any ideas??? Additions? Suggestions as to what the proper weighting should be???

I do think that we'll be in the top 5 next year in YPG & PPG. If we can crack the top 10 in takeaways then that'd be a vast improvement and probably result in more offense and points.
              Winter is Coming!

Comment

Originally posted by PokeysLittleDog
                Hopefully...I mean, you always pray for rain..but being more of a "glass is half empty" kinda guy I always look at the losses more than the gains..

-Ian Gold
                -John Mobley
                -Marco Coleman
                -Maybe Raylee Johnson

Yikes!

But hopefully they'll pull it together.
                First off, Ian and John hardly played last season and we did better without them.
                2nd off Marco Coleman sucked
                3rd Raylee isn't definite.
                sigpic

Comment

Re: Re: Re: #1 defence

Originally posted by Broncosfan713
                  The Steelers? Are you on drugs? They're defense blows. All they have is Bell and Porter.
                  Along with Casey Hampton and James Farrior. Throw in three new starters in the secondary along with **** Lebeau,who was there defensive cordinator in the mid 1990's and they will be better.

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by westflbroncostud
                    yea we'll see but i think it will be 2-4 [/QUOTE

I would put in that Colts playoff game in again and than tell me you really think your a top five defense(or ten for that matter) Comeon that defense has alot more questions than answers at this point. Im looking for Broncos to be around 11- 15 next year in defense. Raiders should have best defense in West. Want to go where you think yopur stronger or deeper than Raiders on defense.
                    http://www.raiders.com/uploads/photos/perm/main/ALELCOFJPHFH/112804gallery-sp10.jpg

Comment

Too many variables. I do worry a bit about the loss of Gold and Mobley but to be honest, our defense improved in standing from when Gold was on it to the end of the season (6th to 4th) and our backup LB's really stepped up. I have high hopes for D.J. Williams at the weak side and think he will be a lot like Wilson who came in and made an immediate difference. But being a rookie, he's going to get burned from time to time as he adjusts to the NFL.

I think we've improved in the secondary and the changes on the line are still problematic. I personally think that much of Bert Berry's production last year was because he benefitted from the double-coverage on the other side.

I think we can still be top 5 and perhaps even top 3, but Number 1? I think that's stretching a lot.
                      You Tell 'em Justice is coming. You tell 'em I'M coming!sigpic

Comment

Whoa Whoa Whoa, I guess I'm a little slow, I know Golds gone, I know Coleman retired, and I know Mobley has about a 5 percent chance of playing next year...but what is this talk about rayle Johnson, what is going on with him??
                        New England Patriots GM

Comment

Originally posted by Gbt31
                          Whoa Whoa Whoa, I guess I'm a little slow, I know Golds gone, I know Coleman retired, and I know Mobley has about a 5 percent chance of playing next year...but what is this talk about rayle Johnson, what is going on with him??
                          http://www.insidedenver.com/drmn/bro...952498,00.html

Check it...
                          Winter is Coming!

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Raiderjoe
                            Originally posted by westflbroncostud
                            yea we'll see but i think it will be 2-4 [/QUOTE

I would put in that Colts playoff game in again and than tell me you really think your a top five defense(or ten for that matter) Comeon that defense has alot more questions than answers at this point. Im looking for Broncos to be around 11- 15 next year in defense. Raiders should have best defense in West. Want to go where you think yopur stronger or deeper than Raiders on defense.
                            I think your right, the Colts did expose us as somewhat of an overated defense, so we went out and got Champ Bailey. I think our secondary is solid and deep. Both Herndon and Walls have a year of starting under their belt. Kenoy and Lynch are veteran performers and Nick Furgeson had a great season last year. I would put our secondary up against anybody. I know we lost a lot at lB, but I hope Williams can step right in. Recent history tells me that Uof Miami LB come out and contribute right away(Ray Lewis, Jesse Armstead, Michael Barrow) so I feel pretty good about that. And Sykes,and Pierce can conme in a play weel as well.

On the DL, I really don't see questions. Really was anybody singing the praises of Bert Berry last offseason. NO, he had a great year largely because of the attention paid to Pryce. Who says Hayward won't be as effective? Also they have drafted a lot of interior D-linemen the last couple of years who just played in NFL Europe. Maybe one will step up.

There are questions, but I think the additionm of Champ ailey solved their biggest weakness and should allow them to be more aggressive and a top 10 defense. As compared to the Raiders, I don't know, I don't give a f*ck about the Raiders.

Comment

Hey, Mount-n-Groan, thanks for the update...
                              New England Patriots GM

Comment

Working...
                              X