BroncoMania heritage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BroncoMania heritage

For all those grumbling about our current fortunes here's a little history lesson to help you understand why some of us are so flippin' upset with your grumbling...

1960: 4-9-1 with a 4-2 start
    1961: 3-11
    1962: 7-7 5-2 start finished 2nd in AFL West
    1963: 3-10-1 3-1 start
    1964: 3-10-1
    1965: 4-10 3-3 start
    1966: 4-10
    1967: 3-11
    1968: 5-9
    1969: 5-8-1 2-0 start

1970: 5-8-1 4-1 start
    1971: 4-9-1
    1972: 5-9
    1973: 7-5-2 2-3 start
    1974: 7-6-1
    1975: 6-8 2-0 start

Total W-L-T for first 16 seasons: 75-140-9
    Winning pct: 0.355

Despite these atrocious records the Broncos almost always sold out their games! They currently have the longest consecutive sell-out record in the NFL which started in the years before the 1965 season (and is well over 250 games). Mile High was one of the roudiest stadiums in the league and didn't go to the SB until 1977 with Craig Morton (Dallas Cowboy cast off) and the Orange Crush defense.

For all the true Maniacs: Here is the record of the start of our Beloved Broncos. It isn't pretty but recent history is well deserving of ourt "forefathers." Enjoy the history and appreciate what our elders started for us.

For all the quitters: GET THE HECK OUT!!! I don't wanna hear your whining and complaining about how bad things are! Those fans that started in 1960 (which are 50+ years old now) waited 18 years to go to the SB and waited over 35 to see a Championship and you're giving up after just one "sub-par" season that isn't even over yet. Yeah, you're a true fan, now go away.
    Last edited by TheGlue Factory; 11-26-2003, 06:48 AM.

At least you don't have to be a 50+ year old to be a true Bronco Maniac.

Unfortunantly Glue it is a more impatient world than the one that bred the First Generation Broncos Fans like yourself. I sometimes wonder if we will ever get another chance to have a great Quarterback who's antics and achievements will be remembered in highlight films 20 years from now. I look back and remember Elway's early years. If he played that way today I don't think he would have been a Bronco for 17 seasons. He got creamed many times. In the end though, people remember the magic of his game winning drives and his funny grin. Hopefully the patience that goes with the making of a legend has not died and future fans will know what it is like to see great things and seemingly supernatural performances for years to come. We need only give them time to mature .

Oh, and I hope that it doesn't take the dry spell that you had to endure to bring about another Lombardi Trophy but if it does, I know many of us (Myself included) will be there, through thick and thin.

Go Broncos!

Comment

Please don't get me wrong. I wasn't a fan until the 1977 year when I was 7! I am just sick of all these little ninnie's who don't have an ounce of patience, respect or perserverance. Even if the Broncos go through a spell twice as bad as their first 15 years I'll still be a fan. How many of these "true fans" will say that I wonder.

Comment

Ah ok. FOr some reason I thought you were the cranky old guy saying, "when I was your age....". Yeah I'd say that most fans would stick with the Broncos. The reason is because Denver supports this team and always has. I mean, there are few towns with NFL teams that can claim to have the level of fan loyalty we have. Unfortunantly the league has developed the attitude that Change will bring about success. Many of the fans agree with this and cry for coaching and QB changes if they don't make the playoffs. It takes time to build a longevity of success.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGlue Factory
          Please don't get me wrong. I wasn't a fan until the 1977 year when I was 7! I am just sick of all these little ninnie's who don't have an ounce of patience, respect or perserverance. Even if the Broncos go through a spell twice as bad as their first 15 years I'll still be a fan. How many of these "true fans" will say that I wonder.

I totally agree. EVERYONE is a fan when times are good, when times are hard, suddenly the seats are empty.

Comment

i too have been a bronco fan since around '77, I have been a detroit red wings fan for a few years longer. I have seen both of my teams through some very bad and extremely good times. No matter the circumstance I never quit pulling for either of them. EVER. What rips me most is people that assume you've become a fan since the teams last championship. Only true fans know how painful it is to watch for years as a team struggles and then see all of the hangers on when success finally comes. Whatever happens I will always live and die with the broncos.

And the wings.
            Individual commitment to a group effort - that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work.

It's easy to have faith in yourself and have discipline when you're a winner, when you're number one. What you got to have is faith and discipline when you're not a winner.

Vince Lombardi

Comment

Re: BroncoMania heritage

They currently have the longest consecutive sell-out record in the NFL which started in the years before the 1965 season (and is well over 250 games).
              The Green Bay Packers have sold out all home games to season ticket holders, starting in 1959.

Comment

Re: Re: BroncoMania heritage

Originally posted by Aardwolf
                The Green Bay Packers have sold out all home games to season ticket holders, starting in 1959.

That's because its the only warm place in the whole state ;-)

Comment

Re: Re: BroncoMania heritage

Originally posted by Aardwolf
                  And yet, watching MNF back in the late seventies or early eighties the comentators said the Broncos had the longest running sell outs at 178 games and Washington was second with 168.

Comment

I moved to Colorado when I was 13 years old in 1976, attended my first game in 1977 and have been a fan ever since. Thanks for showing the history prior to that. I knew times were rough, but didn't realize.

I have said that we can go 2-14 as long as those 2 wins are against the Faiders. Sure it sucks to lose and winning is obviously very exciting. We are 6-5 right now and still in the hunt for the playoffs. That is exciting in itself. I still have faith we will make it!

The Broncos have come along way and are considered by many in the league as one of the elite teams in the NFL. We are a first class organization with dedicated fans all over the world.

GO BRONCOS!

FAN FOR LIFE!
                    :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic

Comment

No matter what, i will always love and root for the Broncos....

The NFL is just too competitive now (which is a good thing!)

Have a question for me? "Ask AO" A Non-Feedback Thread. You'll be glad you did!

2003, 2009 Fantasy League Champion!
                      2006, 2010 Fantasy League Runner-up

Comment

Re: Re: Re: BroncoMania heritage

And yet, watching MNF back in the late seventies or early eighties the comentators said the Broncos had the longest running sell outs at 178 games and Washington was second with 168.
                        I guess this proves that commentators don't always get the story right.

Comment

Are we talking 'real' selllouts or 'paid attendance"

very salient point, I think.

Glue?

Aardwolf?

Everybody's gotta elevate from the norm...

The greatest list of music I don't own on CD :sad:
                          You should check these guys out

Comment

Well consider that the Broncos have something like a 20 year waiting list to get season tickets. I'm willing to concede the point that Green Bay has more sell outs than Denver just because there's nothing else to do in GB but ice fish. :p

I know Denver has sold every ticket since the 60's but there's always been no shows averaging about 5,000 per game. When I went to games in the 80's every time the no shows were announced the entire stadium would boo. I wonder if that still happens?

Comment

Well consider that the Broncos have something like a 20 year waiting list to get season tickets. I'm willing to concede the point that Green Bay has more sell outs than Denver just because there's nothing else to do in GB but ice fish.
                              In order for the length of one teams "waiting list" to bear any relevence, there would have to be a COMPARISON to the other's. I don't see that. In fact, the Bronco season ticket waiting list is estimated to be 10-15 years (which is excellent) compared to a 30 wait for Packer season tickets.

I know Denver has sold every ticket since the 60's but there's always been no shows averaging about 5,000 per game. When I went to games in the 80's every time the no shows were announced the entire stadium would boo. I wonder if that still happens?
                              I know that most of you hate it when I use actual FACTS instead of just making it up as I go like most of you do. Too bad! More FACTS!!!

The 14 NFL Teams With Season-Ticket Waiting Lists

Team Number of Names Year Wait Stadium Sellout Streak

Green Bay 57,000 30 42 years (1960)
                              Washington 51,000 20 36 years (1966)
                              New England 50,000 25-30 Eight years (1994)
                              Tampa Bay 40,000 20-25 Four years (1998)
                              Denver 20,000 10-15 32 years (1970)
                              N.Y. Giants 19,000 10-15 26 years (1976)
                              Kansas City 17,000 2 10 years (1992)
                              N.Y. Jets 17,000 10-15 26 years (1976)
                              San Francisco 16,000 2-4 21 years (1981)
                              Chicago 10,000 5-10 18 years (1984)
                              Philadelphia 6,000 5-10 Eight years (1994)
                              Detroit 3,200 2-3 One year (2001)
                              Tennessee 2,200 5-10 Three years (1999)
                              Minnesota 1,600 2 Three years (1999)

As you can see, Green Bay's sellout streak is 10 years longer than Denver's and Washington's is 4 years longer. Waiting lists are much longer in Green Bay (57,000 or 30yrs), Washington (51,000 or 20 years), New England (50,000 or 25-30 yrs) and Tampa Bay (40,000 or 20-25 years). All of those have double or more fans on the waiting list for season tickets.

While Denver most certainly has done an excellent job of selling out Bronco games, others have done better.

This is my pet peeve with many other Bronco fans. The TRUTH is never good enough. There always seems to be some irrational NEED to exaggerate. Some other Bronco fans have said that this is some sort of mass inferiority complex. For some unexplicable reason, an inordinate amount of Bronco fans suffer from this mass inferiority complex and thus feel the need to exaggerate anything good about the Broncos into "the best/greatest of all time" when it is almost never truly the case.

I find it embarrassing, as a Bronco fan, when I see my fellow Bronco fans doing this. Why can't the truth ever be good enough?
                              Last edited by Aardwolf; 11-30-2003, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X