Broncos Chances

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sniptilla

Bronco got allot of question marks.... 8-8 in 07, maybe 9-7. Second in AFC West, maybe 3rd, behind KC, and here is 10 reasons why.....

1. Inexperienced QB Cutler, played last 5 games in 06 going 2-3.

2. Ten new projected starters, HALF the teams starters are new. Hello? Do the words team chemistry ring a bell ?

I keep seeing this one a lot, and I still don't really get it. New starters will probably be:

Henry at HB
    Kuper at RG
    Adams or Kennedy at DT
    D.J. at MLB (though he's started at a LB position since he entered the League)
    TBA at SLB
    Bly at CB

That's pretty much it. I believe Pears saw brief duty relegating Foster to the bench until Lepsis and Meadows both went down and he was pressed into the more demanding LT role last year. Perhaps more importantly, the first three of those six (not ten) starters represent big improvements over their predecessors; Henry, Kuper/Holland and Adams/Kennedy will probably need time to gel, but will immediately be better than Bell, Carlisle and Myers.

3. DL with one underachieving DT in Kennedy, another aged waiver wire pickup (Adams) and top DL draft picks have character issues.
    Top DL (I hate that term; DTs and DEs aren't interchangeable) won't see much playing time, whatever the draft homers think. As far as underachieving and aging tackles go, the only question is whether they're better than Myers, and that's not much of a question in my mind.

4. FS-is one of the oldest in the league, Lynch (36 this season) zero INT’s in 06, and has lost a step.
    The stats don't indicate he's lost a step, and neither does the play; what they indicate is that he's a FS who's really more of a SS, which is also what his career (complete with Pro Bowl trips running through last season) and the Denver front office indicate.

5. Cut defensive leader MLB Al Wilson, full effects unknown.
    That's a valid question, but I think it'll ultimately depend on the quality of D.J.s backup rather than D.J. himself.

6. Have a new retread RB in Henry, solid is the best that can be said of him.
    Which is a lot more than can be said of Tatum Bell; nevertheless, Denver managed 9 wins, Bell 1000 yards and narrowly missed the playoffs with a tougher schedule. Last year we played NE and SD played Buffalo; this year the shoe's on the other foot.

7. WR-Rod Smith is close to retirement as his production dropped sharply in 06. Hip injury a major concern.
    Hip injury WAS a major concern; the problem was scar tissue that had been present since '04 and has now been removed. If Rod Smith can make the Pro Bowl on a dead hip in 2005 I think he can be a solid contributor without one in '07.

8. Starting SS-is 32 yrs old (Ferguson) coming off knee surgery, 1-INT in the 10 games he did play in 06...
    Which is more a product of the D than Ferguson; no one had interceptions last year except Bailey and D-Will, just as the LBs and secondary managed ONE sack all season.

9. OL gave up over 30 sacks in 06, with Nalen being 36 yrs old, the line is questionable at pass blocking.
    Line replaced a Pro Bowl caliber LT with a second year RT in his first starts for half the season, and had a wretched RT. This year Lepsis is back, though his health is still more of a concern at present than Nalens, and Pears has already shown he's a much better pass blocker than Foster. It may not be as good a line as the Colts, Pats or Bolts just yet, but it's a lot better than it was.

10. Swept by the Chargers in convincing fashion in 06, by a combined score of 83-47, Broncos Pass Offense 27th in NFL, 23rd overall. Weak....
    Win the Division?......Get Real SB Contender....LOL !!!
    This offense can't be compared to last years. The running is better, the receivers are better, the QB's better and, most importantly, the LINE is better, at both running and pass blocking. Plus I don't see Bates assigning DE Ekuban to covering passes to Tomlinson out of the backfield; no 17 point comeback this year.
    SIGN RANDALL GODFREY FOR SLB AND BACKUP MLB NOW!!!

Comment

• Things always look great before the season starts, to every true fan anyway. Thats called being a fan. However, especially in the AFC WEST, every game is a fight. I think its wayyyyyyyyy too premature to predict the broncos playing in the AFCCG.
      "Chillez was right Brock is best champ in the UFC, I Jump on Mir bandwagon and he got crushed."

Chillez won the sig bet. Congrats. Up next for brock? Fedor... stay tuned.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chargerfreak
        I think the question was meant to inspire debate...since the answers won't be known until well after the season begins. I enjoyed your breakdown of the new players and how you think it will impact Denver this season...very well thought out and informative.

Asking the question "When is the last time San Diego won a superbowl" is not a reasonable comparison...since the question DOES have an answer and is just meant to flame.

As for how free agents impact teams in their first year we all know the Washington examples...not a huge success. I'd have to say the only team that really turned their fortunes around in 1 year has to be New Orleans...they went from last place to the NFC championship game mostly due to their QB signing.
        Rival fans are to inspire debate in the Smack forum. That is what it is there for. The
        reason is that debate with rival fans invariably becomes smack. Moreover, some of
        you have seemingly tried to incite smack. That's why it belongs in the other forum.

-----

Comment

• Originally posted by OaklandxxRaider
          Things always look great before the season starts, to every true fan anyway. Thats called being a fan. However, especially in the AFC WEST, every game is a fight. I think its wayyyyyyyyy too premature to predict the broncos playing in the AFCCG.
          This reminds me of one of your brethren....

......RaiderJoe.

If you bought into his drivel, EVERY draftee/free agent pickup was going to go into the Hall of Fame.....

....*sniff sniff*...

....I sure do miss 'josey......
          "It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate,
          tireless minority keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of
          men."

-- Samuel Adams

sigpicJacks RULE!!!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Chargerfreak
            I think the question was meant to inspire debate...since the answers won't be known until well after the season begins. I enjoyed your breakdown of the new players and how you think it will impact Denver this season...very well thought out and informative.

Asking the question "When is the last time San Diego won a superbowl" is not a reasonable comparison...since the question DOES have an answer and is just meant to flame.

As for how free agents impact teams in their first year we all know the Washington examples...not a huge success. I'd have to say the only team that really turned their fortunes around in 1 year has to be New Orleans...they went from last place to the NFC championship game mostly due to their QB signing.

Thats not true. How about the '98 Falcons? The '99 Rams? Both teams went from a 2-14 team to going to the Super Bowl. Just two examples off the top of my head. What about the 2000 Ravens AND the 2000 Giants? I haven't looked up any stats, but there are FAR more teams that have rebuilt and rearmed in a season. Again, those were last place teams, we aren't.

Plus.. this is the thing. I don't see us as a team that needs to 'turn our fortunes' around. I don't know why the Chargers all of a sudden feel that they are tops, and the Broncos have been in the gutter. Over the last three seasons (where the Charger fans only want to talk about).. the Broncos have gone to the playoffs just as many times, and won MORE playoff games. Last season was the first time we have won less than ten games since 2002. The Chargers just went below 10 wins in 2005. It was the FIRST time the Chargers went to the playoffs when we didn't, and the FIRST time they have ever swept us.

We aren't some bottom dwelling team that is rebuilding. I think THAT is the point more than anything else. We are a playoff caliber team, that has upgraded at key positions. Thats why we feel so confidently in our team.
            Last edited by Ravage!!!; 07-07-2007, 07:11 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ravage!!!
              We aren't some bottom dwelling team that is rebuilding. I think THAT is the point more than anything else. We are a playoff caliber team, that has upgraded at key positions. Thats why we feel so confidently in our team.

Whhoooooooot Whhoooooooooooooooooooot!!!! Say it again!!!!

PEACE!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by topscribe
                Rival fans are to inspire debate in the Smack forum. That is what it is there for. The
                reason is that debate with rival fans invariably becomes smack. Moreover, some of
                you have seemingly tried to incite smack. That's why it belongs in the other forum.

-----
                So General Discussion is for kissing the broncos butts and smack is for asking debating issues.

Thanks Mr. Bottom.

Comment

• Originally posted by naf_tlob
                  So General Discussion is for kissing the broncos butts and smack is for asking debating issues.

Thanks Mr. Bottom.
                  Thank you's to "Mr. Bottom" are well deserved.

Take what he says in consideration... you wont be lost around here as much...
                  sigpic

Comment

• No fear what so ever of the Chargers, whom I believe are a good team with NO Lombardy's backing them up!

Comment

• Some one once told me "Dont stop Believing" the broncos will make the playoffs

Jay Cutler WILL get the job done. If you all recall Cutler was the second QB to throw for 2 or more touchdown passes in his first 5 career games i believe (may be 6) that other guy was Dan Marino. I have all the confidence in the world that jay will get the job done and throw for at least 25 TDs then to go along with that running game, on their way to at least 12 wins.

Comment

• The Broncos team chemistry will be strong as ever, after going through 2 tragedies together. They will bond like never before.

R.I.P
                        D. Will
                        D. Nash
                        Last edited by Broncos055; 07-08-2007, 08:12 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by naf_tlob

Thanks Mr. Bottom.
                          Somebody doesn't want to grace our screens for very long, I see.....

Funny I never see these new SD posters IN smack....

....how come, I wonder?
                          "It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate,
                          tireless minority keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of
                          men."

-- Samuel Adams

sigpicJacks RULE!!!!!!

Comment

• * bump* for laughs...
                            My 3 favorite teams:
                            1.The Denver Broncos
                            2.The Ohio State Buckeyes
                            3.Any team who plays Michigan

Comment

• Originally posted by Broncos055 View Post
                              I believe the broncos have a good chance to win the division and make it back to the AFC Championship game this year.
                              ...... ah...... its funny what 5 months later can do

Comment

• Yeah, well...

Originally posted by Broncofan1990 View Post
                                ...... ah...... its funny what 5 months later can do
                                the only thing I got right about this season is that the NFC East, full of teams who don't get the respect they deserve (even from me) sent three teams to the playoffs for the second year in a row. Kinda makes you wonder how good Dallas is (and they've stunned me), given that they're only losses are to the Pats (and they didn't get blown out) and two Division rivals (divisional games are always tough; just look at ours against the hapless Faders).

There's always next year, though I'd prefer drafting a NT (a position where you actually CAN throw a rookie out there and get performance) from 6-10 rather than 7-9. Still, for all that some people have been calling for Shannys head for over a year, there's something to be said for a coach who's never been worse than 7-9 (and only that twice) in over a decade.
                                SIGN RANDALL GODFREY FOR SLB AND BACKUP MLB NOW!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X