The Real Greatness Of Rod Smith!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Real Greatness Of Rod Smith!

Yeah, I just wanted to bring this up for all the Rod Smith Haters which most of them are Denver Broncos Haters. I won't name any names, Raiderjoe, jdslick2, El Cheetos, etc. But anyway I was just reading the Sporting News and it had said that Rod Smith was second behind Terrell Owens in YAC. That is "Yards After the Catch" Raiderjoe, jdslick2, El Cheetos, and the rest of you Bronco Haters if you didn't know. Which I wouldn't be surprise if you didn't. Anyhow, they kept track of Wide Receivers' "Yards After the Catch" since 1999 and it read like this:

1. Terrell Owens, 49ers: YAC: 2,364; Receptions: 430; YAC Avg.: 5.5

2. Rod Smith, Broncos: YAC: 2,336; Receptions: 455; YAC Avg.: 5.1

3. Marvin Harrison, Colts: YAC: 2,015; Receptions: 563; YAC Avg.: 3.6

4. Randy Moss, Vikings: YAC: 1,938; Receptions: 456; YAC Avg.: 4.3

5. Tim Brown, Faiders: YAC: 1,911; Receptions: 390; YAC Avg.: 4.9

6. Troy Brown, Patriots: YAC: 1,814; Receptions: 357; YAC Avg.: 5.1

7. Torry Holt, Lams: YAC: 1,774; Receptions: 423; YAC Avg.: 4.2

8. Jimmy Smith, Jaguars: YAC: 1,706; Receptions: 453; YAC Avg.: 3.8

9. Eric Moulds, Bills: YAC: 1,659; Receptions: 390; YAC Avg.: 4.3

10. Hines Ward, Steelers: YAC: 1,635; Receptions: 410; YAC Avg.: 4.0

By these stats you can see the greatness of Rod Smith of how great a Wide Receiver he has become over the years. Rod Smith really has no weaknesses in his game. He can basically do everything well. Not saying he's better than such and such but he is a complete Wide Receiver. A true great Wide Receiver is supposed to get as much Yards after he has caught the ball and we have seen Rod Smith run for a lot of yards after he has caught the ball. So for all y'all who says he is overrated, well you better do your Homework by watching the Denver Broncos more carefully.

Anyway, I do not think Rod Smith has lost much of a step. I just feel like the past two years we haven't pass the ball as much as we previously have in other years. If you really watch him, when he catches the ball he is real quick and quickly picks up speed after he has caught it. So I don't really know where you guys come up with these stuff that he has lost a step. Maybe he isn't as fast but I just say he hasn't had as much opportunity because the last two years we have really been a Run Oriented Offense more than a Pass Oriented Offense. Yes I know we've been a Run Oriented Offense for years now but I'm just saying we haven't thrown it as much as we have before.

Good post.

Rod Smith is a football player. He will do what is asked of him. He'll give you 100% on the field and in practice. Whether He'll catch the ball, run the ball, or pass the ball, he'll do it and do it well. He'll also return kicks. He'll be a leader in the locker room. He'll take over a game and win it for you. He'll give you a straight answer after a loss and he'll give you a good laugh after a win. Whatever they want him to do, one thing is for certain....He'll be Rod Smith.

Comment

a great WR is supposed to catch touchdowns. in 9 years rod has only 52 touchdowns. that is less than 6 per year.

t.o. and marvin harrison have played 1 less year than rod but have 81 & 83 TD's each.

randy moss has played 2 fewer years yet has 77 TD's.

rod has been a very good player. he is one of the best bronco WR's ever. he is not in the same the league as the other three in this post. he will not make the hall of fame. more than likely he will make the ring. be happy with that.

Comment

Originally posted by elof
        a great WR is supposed to catch touchdowns. in 9 years rod has only 52 touchdowns. that is less than 6 per year.

t.o. and marvin harrison have played 1 less year than rod but have 81 & 83 TD's each.

rod has been a very good player. he is one of the best bronco WR's ever. he is not in the same the league as the other three in this post. he will not make the hall of fame. more than likely he will make the ring. be happy with that.
        A wide receiver is supposed to make catches and keep the chains moving. Neither receiver you mentioned has had as consistently good a running game as have the Broncos. We can usually count on one running back getting at least 15 TDs himself plus a few more by the backups. Throw in the most prolific receiving tight end in NFL history and it left fewer TDs for Rod and Ed. But luckily they are team players (unlike Owens) who didn't mind leaving the glory for the running backs and, in fact, were both huge factors in the success of the running game by being excellent downfield blockers.

Now, I think Harrison is an excellent receiver and Smith, while a great receiver, is not at Marvin's level. But Smith was also better for our system because he contributes so much more to the ground game. However, if I had to choose and wasn't a Broncos fan, I'd take Marvin just because he's one of the best pure receivers and yet is still a good, humble guy.

But I would take Rod Smith over a putz like Terrell Owens any day of the week. Smith does whatever the team asks him to do, is a leader and faithfully helps the young receivers along, and is NEVER a distraction to his team. Sure, T.O. might have scored more touchdowns but if he'd been our system he'd have been b*tching in the Super Bowl about how many TDs Terrell had during the year. "It's not fair that TD had 23 TDs in the regular season. If they had given ME some of those TDs we'd be undefeated! Grumble...grumble..."

Anyway, I think you get my point.
        "You can't take the sky from me..."
        ------
        "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

javalon

good point on t.o. i hate the guy also.

rod is a very good player. he does a lot of things well. you would be a fool not to want him on your team. i just really don't think he is one of the greats.

Comment

Re: javalon

good point on t.o. i hate the guy also.

rod is a very good player. he does a lot of things well. you would be a fool not to want him on your team. i just really don't think he is one of the greats.
            I understand. There's a difference between being a great receiver and being one of THE great receivers. I doubt Rod will make the Hall of Fame but I think he's in that tier of player which was almost but not quite to that level.

Marvin Harrison, at the rate he's going, will probably be a Hall of Famer. I hope to God that Owens never gets there.
            ------

Comment

Okay, there is too much hate on Terrell Owens. I disagree on everything that has been said on here about him. He is like the Rasheed Wallace of the NFL. He is probably the most understood guy in all of Football. He plays hard. Just because he complains about not getting the ball doesn't mean it's all about him. You guys don't watch him carefully enough. All he really cares about is winning and he wants to really contribute. He wants to be a guy to carry a team. That is what he wants. He complained because Jeff Garcia was too worried about his Pass Percentage going down and wouldn't take more risk. If you actually watch the guy when he doesn't catch the ball he is a very good blocker and he's always running down field blocking for his Running Backs and his fellow Wide Receivers. If Jeff Garcia is throwing Interceptions, TO is running down the field to go tackle the guy. And most of the time he's the only one who's really making an effort to tackle the guy when he's running down the sidelines. I don't know about y'all but I would love to have a guy like that on my team. I would rather have a guy that talks and talking to his team than a quiet player like a Brian Griese who didn't associate with his teammates.

Anyway, back to Rod Smith. Great guy, great Wide Receiver, always consistent at what he does. What more can you ask for? And I'm sure he'd be up there in Touchdowns with Randy Moss, Marvin Harrison, Terrell Owens, etc., if we threw the damn ball more. Now isn't that logical?
              Last edited by Broncos28; 06-14-2004, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncos28
                Okay, there is too much hate on Terrell Owens. I disagree on everything that has been said on here about him. He is like the Rasheed Wallace of the NFL. He is probably the most understood guy in all of Football. He plays hard. Just because he complains about not getting the ball doesn't mean it's all about him. You guys don't watch him carefully enough. All he really cares about is winning and he wants to really contribute. He wants to be a guy to carry a team. That is what he wants. He complained because Jeff Garcia was too worried about his Pass Percentage going down and wouldn't take more risk. If you actually watch the guy when he doesn't catch the ball he is a very good blocker and he's always running down field blocking for his Running Backs and his fellow Wide Receivers. If Jeff Garcia is throwing Interceptions, TO is running down the field to go tackle the guy. And most of the time he's the only one who's really making an effort to tackle the guy when he's running down the sidelines. I don't know about y'all but I would love to have a guy like that on my team. I would rather have a guy that talks and talking to his team than a quiet player like a Brian Griese who didn't associate with his team mates.
                I disagree. I think Owens in an overrated, selfish jerk. And I am SOOO glad the Broncos didn't go after him. But we're both entitled to our differing opinions.
                ------

Comment

Originally posted by Javalon
                  I disagree. I think Owens in an overrated, selfish jerk. And I am SOOO glad the Broncos didn't go after him. But we're both entitled to our differing opinions.
                  Well, obviously he can't be overrated if he is number one on this list in YAC. I think he is a great Player. I bet you'll see a different Terrell Owens in Philadelphia.

Comment

broncos28

owens is already *****ing about not getting enough balls thrown to him in mini camp.

that tirade he had last year on the sideline was way overboard. it's one thing to vent a bit on a coach about playcalling. it's another when you are yelling simply to show up the coordinator. owens biggest concern is that the cameras are on him as much as possible.

Comment

Re: broncos28

owens is already *****ing about not getting enough balls thrown to him in mini camp.

that tirade he had last year on the sideline was way overboard. it's one thing to vent a bit on a coach about playcalling. it's another when you are yelling simply to show up the coordinator. owens biggest concern is that the cameras are on him as much as possible.
                      Still I would rather have Terrell Owens than most of the Wide Outs in the NFL. But that's just me, not saying you or anybody else, just me.

Comment

I love all the Players who dance and talk smack and all that stuff. Just let the Players celebrate as long as they ain't bringing in Cell Phones or stuff like that on the Field.

Comment

Your right, but Smith's lack of td's can at least partially be explained by the fact that the Broncos so heavily rely on the running game. The colts and 49ers are both teams that definitely leaned towards the pass over the last few years

"The Gagne T-shirt jersey comes with a complimentary can of gasoline and a set of matches."

Comment

TO is a jerk and a head case, The Dallas Star episode and the Sharpie crap, does not belong on the field. All it does is piss off the opponents, and create bulletin board fodder.

Teams are to well matched these days to try to rub someone’s nose in it. Not to have something come back to haunt you a n few weeks later. IE the Indy game. We blew them out of the water and emotionally the following weeks they got even in Spades they were sky high and we were not.

TD's are not the only measuring stick.
                            Smith is a great team leader, and a really good possession receiver who moves the chains.

The other teams are really one dimensional, and have nothing else on O.
                            Last edited by Jrhampton; 06-14-2004, 02:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NJBRONCOSFAN
                              Your right, but Smith's lack of td's can at least partially be explained by the fact that the Broncos so heavily rely on the running game. The colts and 49ers are both teams that definitely leaned towards the pass over the last few years
                              the vikings have been a run first team for two-three years now. randy moss(a great WR) is still putting up huge #'s.

Comment

Working...
                              X