No announcement yet.

quinn vs cutler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cutler is still throwing off his backfoot A LOT. Even when he isn't pressured. If he doesn't cut that **** out. He is gonna have a lot of ints

Comment

I'm not suprised at all at how good Quinn looks - after all, it's the preseason. Quinn always posted huge numbers when ND played in a game that didn't mean anything (as in one of the service academies that ND could/should beat with their 3rd string) - it was the big games - the ones that counted - where Quinn showed what he's made of.

I am so glad we took a young QB last year and weren't looking for one this year. I'll take Cutler over Quinn any day of the week and 10 x's on Sundays.

Comment

Cutlers Passion

To say Jay Cutler doesn't have passion for the game is heresy.

Let's just put it this way. A colleague of mine is a referee in the SEC (division one college football), and he told me about a certain game he reffed early in Cutler's career at Vanderbilt. He said that Cutler had talent, a rocket arm, very high intelligence, but that he was often too bold and impetuous. This one particular time he said that An offensive linemen and a defensive linemen were smack talking when the defensive linemen struck the offensive linemen on the helmet. It was on the sidelines after a play was dead because a runner had been run out of bounds. Jay goes running over to the two guys and knocks / tackles the Defensive linemen to the ground and proceeded to yell at him threatening him to ever talk smack to his offensive linemen again. Of course my friend confronted them both, but he didn't eject anyone because it occurred on the sidelines. He said it was humorous though in retrospect because he has never seen a QB so fired up or passionate about a teammate.

What you need to take away from this though is not that Jay is a hothead... early on at Vandy he made many mistakes and interceptions, never because he was dumb and couldn't read coverage, but always because he thought he could throw it fast / hard enough to beat the coverage. His coaches always stressed and demanded that he play with more poise, and focused energy. To think before he threw, to make calculated risks in a seconds time, and to focus on coverage and find weak spots, not try to beat the coverage in an disadvantageous situation.

His progression shows that he has learned and come a long way, its not that he doesn't care about his team or that he lacks "passion for the game", its that he knows that the second he loses focus is the second he'll make a hasty decision and pay the consequences for it. It was his passion that led him to compete in every drill he could in the combine, and to have interviews with as many teams that would sit down with him. While Young and Leinart were taking breaks, Jay was practicing for his next drill. He came out of no where on the draft boards and by all accounts was a top ten talent. When to start he wasn't even slated to go in the first round! His passion and work ethic is what led him to work so hard last pre season and during the regular season to become acclimated to the speed of the NFL. Thats how he looked so well for the most part when he took over as starter, he readied himself in case he would need to start in every single game.

I think its also worthy to be noted that Mike Shanahan has an eye for great QB's. He has certainly seen his fair share during his coaching days. If Cutler stood out so great to him that it was worth sacrificing enough to move up to get him at #11. He had Laurence Maroney pegged to be picked later and be a franchise RB for us, and we know how much Shanahan loves getting good rb's! Obviously Shanahan sees enough in Cutler to entrust the future of this franchise into his hands.

I think that accusing Jay Cutler of not being passionate is wholly undue. I think many posted their concern based on ignorance of not truly knowing Cutler, and so i hope that this post has somewhat help teach others a little about who Cutler really is and that he is in reality one of the most passionate and dedicated players on the team.

Go Jay, and Go Broncos!!!
        sigpic

Comment

agree......just give Cutler some time........2 or 3 years down the road, I think we will see Denver back in the playoffs
          It's sad to see fairweather fans already lose hope before the season has started...

My adopted Bronco is Chris Kuper. Huzzah!

I am the raid leader for this World of Warcraft guild. Yay us!

Comment

Anyone saying Jay is not "passionate" because he doesn't always show emotion after a TD doesn't realize what kind of passion Jay has for the sport. This is the reason why I love Jay so much and why I am so excited to have him as our QB... Because when you see Jay drop a pretty little pass into the hands of #84 for six points you don't see him act like a retard and go jump up and down to celebrate a TD (see Chad Johnson). Jay acts a professional, he's calm cool and always in control. Jay has made a lot of good plays to date, it's just another one down in the books. He has the head about him to be a true brain of the sport, a possible Peyton Manning, Tom Brady type figure. Jay's passion comes in the form of him always working his best to improve himself, in being a leader to his teammates, of studying the game... His passion is for his reason being on the field, once he's there he's all professional.
            Last edited by Zealander; 08-26-2007, 05:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Artamentous View Post
              Cutler is still throwing off his backfoot A LOT. Even when he isn't pressured. If he doesn't cut that **** out. He is gonna have a lot of ints

Now this is fair criticism!

Comment

Originally posted by Zealander View Post
                He has....a Peyton Manning, Tom Brady type figure.
                Now you are getting way carried away. Shame on you Zealy for mentioning your shy QB in the same breath as these others......

And you all thought Cut was going to be your saviour last year....and the cowered ended up getting sacked right out of post season....your setting yourself up once again for another dispointing year. Down the tubes again and out of the playoffs.

Comment

Originally posted by BOLT-MAN View Post
                  Now you are getting way carried away. Shame on you Zealy for mentioning your shy QB in the same breath as these others......

And you all thought Cut was going to be your saviour last year....and the cowered ended up getting sacked right out of post season....your setting yourself up once again for another dispointing year. Down the tubes again and out of the playoffs.
                  However premature, it's not impossible. Cutler is a cool customer, and he has shown a good knowledge of the game. You're not just bitter because you're stuck with Rivers are you? I expect he'll do alright, it could be worse. :thumb:

Comment

Anyone saying Jay is not "passionate" because he doesn't always show emotion after a TD doesn't realize what kind of passion Jay has for the sport. This is the reason why I love Jay so much and why I am so excited to have him as our QB... Because when you see Jay drop a pretty little pass into the hands of #84 for six points you don't see him act like a retard and go jump up and down to celebrate a TD (see Chad Johnson). Jay acts a professional, he's calm cool and always in control. Jay has made a lot of good plays to date, it's just another one down in the books. He has the head about him to be a true brain of the sport, a possible Peyton Manning, Tom Brady type figure. Jay's passion comes in the form of him always working his best to improve himself, in being a leader to his teammates, of studying the game... His passion is for his reason being on the field, once he's there he's all professional.
                    Its not that I want to see him celebrate after a TD,its that i want to see him be angry when he doesnt do well, and get fired up sometimes. I mean its not that big of deal you know, and that article posted above was good insight, maybe he is passionate, but he doesnt show it. When you show emotion you become more of a leader, look at al wilson and Lynch and all them, they show emotion, they are leaders, Cutler can be a silent leader, but it's just not as powerful.
                    dont let him pull dat move on ya, dont let him pull that move.......................oh no dats da move! TOUCHDOWN!!!

I tried to warn ya.

Comment

he'll do alright
                      No pill poppin' here.
                      Doing "all right" would be regression...and "all right" QB's usually never make it to a playoff spot without LOTS of help (which Cut desperately needed last season). Anyway...its no fun seeing a team "thrust" into the playoff picture when they and their QB have no chance in hell to continue on to the next round. Its another thing when your 14-2... you deserve to be there...

Comment

Originally posted by Return of Lava View Post
                        Its not that I want to see him celebrate after a TD,its that i want to see him be angry when he doesnt do well, and get fired up sometimes. I mean its not that big of deal you know, and that article posted above was good insight, maybe he is passionate, but he doesnt show it. When you show emotion you become more of a leader, look at al wilson and Lynch and all them, they show emotion, they are leaders, Cutler can be a silent leader, but it's just not as powerful.
                        dude are you serious, cutler always looks pissed when he misses a play, excited when he makes one,

give him more time and i guarantee once he steps into that leadership role comfortably he will only become more local with his teammates, hopefully not the yelling idiot type though.

i would much rather see him take leadership when he is a proven winner (hopefully by mid-season) instead of a guy who yells at everybody or acts great but cant really play himself (see rex grossman after the packers game, admitting he didnt try that game when hes never played a full season - - that pissed me off being a bears fan also)

LT leads by example and everybody in the NFL respects him for it Jay seems to try to do the same thing and his passion is being questioned

maybe LT doesnt have passion for the game because hes not jumping around like a lunatic, screaming at his offensive lineman for missing a block, or tearing apart a referee for a terrible call.

this is probably one of the dumbest arguements on this board,
                        sigpic
                        -------

Comment

Originally posted by SBboundBRONCOS View Post
                          dude are you serious, cutler always looks pissed when he misses a play, excited when he makes one,

give him more time and i guarantee once he steps into that leadership role comfortably he will only become more local with his teammates, hopefully not the yelling idiot type though.

i would much rather see him take leadership when he is a proven winner (hopefully by mid-season) instead of a guy who yells at everybody or acts great but cant really play himself (see rex grossman after the packers game, admitting he didnt try that game when hes never played a full season - - that pissed me off being a bears fan also)

LT leads by example and everybody in the NFL respects him for it Jay seems to try to do the same thing and his passion is being questioned

maybe LT doesnt have passion for the game because hes not jumping around like a lunatic, screaming at his offensive lineman for missing a block, or tearing apart a referee for a terrible call.

this is probably one of the dumbest arguements on this board,
                          You probably missed the part where I said its not that big of deal........therefore its really not an argument.........therefore not one of the dumbest arguments on the board but anyway.....

Did I say anything about jumping like a lunatic? Does Lynch and Wilson do the lunatic? If Cutler wins MVP, then I wont question his passion anymore cool?

If its true like you say, "cutler always looks pissed when he misses a play, excited when he makes one" then thats all I really looking for, why are you exaggerating?
                          dont let him pull dat move on ya, dont let him pull that move.......................oh no dats da move! TOUCHDOWN!!!

I tried to warn ya.

Comment

Originally posted by Return of Lava View Post
                            You probably missed the part where I said its not that big of deal........therefore its really not an argument.........therefore not one of the dumbest arguments on the board but anyway.....

Did I say anything about jumping like a lunatic? Does Lynch and Wilson do the lunatic? If Cutler wins MVP, then I wont question his passion anymore cool?

If its true like you say, "cutler always looks pissed when he misses a play, excited when he makes one" then thats all I really looking for, why are you exaggerating?
                            hey sorry that entire thing wast directed at you mostly just the leadership part of it with rex and LT

and yes this is probably one of the worst arguements on here . . . none of us know how jay feels, how passionate he is, or what he says to his teammates

all we know is what we see on our little tv sitting at home miles away from any form of player emotion on our butts not doing anything worth while in the long run

so sorry that you took that post the long way
                            sigpic
                            -------

Comment

Cutler is better than Quinn. Better looking and better at football. Just because Quinn may have played better (I wouldn't know, if Jay isn't on the field I don't care so much) doesn't mean he'll do better in regular game situations. So just think of that...

Comment

Originally posted by I_Only_Like_Jay View Post
                                Cutler is better than Quinn. Better looking and better at football. Just because Quinn may have played better (I wouldn't know, if Jay isn't on the field I don't care so much) doesn't mean he'll do better in regular game situations. So just think of that...
                                just curious do like jay because he is a good football player or because "he is good looking".

football is not like boy bands
                                sigpic
                                -------

Comment

Working...
                                X