Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who Will Stay and Who Will Go Among the DL?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who Will Stay and Who Will Go Among the DL?

Well, after last night, it's time to sort the losers from the winners. Those who might keep their jobs, versus those among the DL whom FA will hit in the butt.

Right now, it looks like the team might just keep both Ernster and Sauerbrun again, which would take up a roster spot. Then there's the battle among the WRs, they might keep as many as 6 in order to have an extra for ST. And there's LS Leach, who counts as a TE, but is only used as a long-snapper. And speaking of TEs can they really cut Alexander now and rely on Sheffler? They might need to keep an extra TE.

So, while I earlier predicted the team would keep 9 or 10 DL, they might go with 8 or 9. If that's true, who will stay and who will go? The top 8 are fairly obvious, it's the last 2 that might be interesting:

Blue = Starters who will stay. Red = "Good-bye"

LE: John Engelberger, Tim Crowder

On the chopping block: Kenard Lang, Kenny Peterson

LT: Sam Adams, Jimmy Kennedy

On the chopping block: Antwon Burton

RT: Amon Gordon, Marcus Thomas
    On the chopping block Alvin McKinley, Demetrin Veal, Steven Harris

RE: Elvis Dumervil, Jarvis Moss
    On the chopping block: John Browning

Well, they just brought in Browning. So, it's down to, do they keep 9 and if they do, do they keep an extra end or tackle?

After last night I'm betting they go with Dumervil at RDE and let Moss back him up. We'll know if they keep him out of the last game. But, if so, then Kenard Lang looks to be toast. He was relegated to third team this spring and never advanced. Bates probably decided after looking at film that Lang wasn't the kind of player he wanted. Lang's best chance was that Dumervil wasn't ready and they'd keep him as an extra veteran at RE. That's unlikely now.

Kenny Peterson is an interesting case. His chances of making the squad would have been pretty good because of his special teams work, except that he's being suspended for the first 4 games of the season. Tough to keep him on then. He'll probably be cut and possibly re-signed later after his suspension if they need an extra DL down the road.

Antwon Burton is a scrub and is likely gone.

Alvin McKinley, despite MUG's endorsement, has done nothing so far this pre-season and it looks like he's a loser in the battle for a spot. He was the first FA signed, but they then went out and got Jimmy Kennedy, who appears to be battling for the same roster spot. Kennedy has played more and looks like the winner in that battle. If Kennedy works out this season, they plan to try and sign him to a long-term contract next year, if not, then they can let him become a FA without penalty.

Demetrin Veal and Steven Harris are interesting. Veal might have a spot because of special teams play if they go to 9 DL. He's versatile and started (and sucked) last year. Since they need some DL for special teams play and for insurance they might keep him around. Harris was always a long-shot.

John Browning is a long-term veteran they just signed. It's a bit late to bring somebody in for training camp fodder, unless you intend to keep them. He can play tackle or end (neither well) and Shanahan likes him for some reason.

If they go to 9 DL, he might just make the roster and they cut Lang. That would make him the veteran backup if either Moss or Dumervil goes down. Plus, he has experience so he could fill in if it looks like Dumervil can't play the run well enough and Moss isn't ready. In short he's a general fire insurance. I don't know much about him, so I can't evaluate how good of an idea this is.

If they signed another FA then that would change of course.
    Last edited by Cugel; 08-26-2007, 12:04 PM.
    sigpic

Originally posted by Cugel View Post
    Well, after last night, it's time to sort the losers from the winners. Those who might keep their jobs, versus those among the DL whom FA will hit in the butt.

Right now, it looks like the team might just keep both Ernster and Sauerbrun again, which would take up a roster spot. Then there's the battle among the WRs, they might keep as many as 6 in order to have an extra for ST. And there's LS Leach, who counts as a TE, but is only used as a long-snapper. And speaking of TEs can they really cut Alexander now and rely on Sheffler? They might need to keep an extra TE.

So, while I earlier predicted the team would keep 9 or 10 DL, they might go with 8 or 9. If that's true, who will stay and who will go? The top 8 are fairly obvious, it's the last 2 that might be interesting:

Blue = Starters who will stay. Red = "Good-bye"

LE: John Engelberger, Tim Crowder

On the chopping block: Kenard Lang, Kenny Peterson

LT: Sam Adams, Jimmy Kennedy

On the chopping block: Antwon Burton

RT: Amon Gordon, Marcus Thomas
    On the chopping block Alvin McKinley, Demetrin Veal, Steven Harris

RE: Elvis Dumervil, Jarvis Moss
    On the chopping block: John Browning

Well, they just brought in Browning. So, it's down to, do they keep 9 and if they do, do they keep an extra end or tackle?

After last night I'm betting they go with Dumervil at RDE and let Moss back him up. We'll know if they keep him out of the last game. But, if so, then Kenard Lang looks to be toast.

Kenny Peterson is an interesting case. His chances of making the squad would have been pretty good because of his special teams work, except that he's being suspended for the first 4 games of the season. Tough to keep him on then. He'll probably be cut and possibly re-signed later after his suspension if they need an extra DL down the road.

Antwon Burton is a scrub and is likely gone.

Alvin McKinley, despite MUG's endorsement, has done nothing so far this pre-season and it looks like he's a loser in the battle for a spot. He was the first FA signed, but they then went out and got Jimmy Kennedy, who appears to be battling for the same roster spot. Kennedy has played more and looks like the winner in that battle. If Kennedy works out this season, they plan to try and sign him to a long-term contract next year, if not, then they can let him become a FA without penalty.

Demetrin Veal and Steven Harris are interesting. Veal might have a spot because of special teams play if they go to 9 DL. He's versatile and started (and sucked) last year. Since they need some DL for special teams play and for insurance they might keep him around. Harris was always a long-shot.

John Browning is a long-term veteran they just signed. It's a bit late to bring somebody in for training camp fodder, unless you intend to keep them. He can play tackle or end (neither well) and Shanahan likes him for some reason.

If they go to 9 DL, he might just make the roster and they cut Lang. That would make him the veteran backup if either Moss or Dumervil goes down. Plus, he has experience so he could fill in if it looks like Dumervil can't play the run well enough and Moss isn't ready. In short he's a general fire insurance. I don't know much about him, so I can't evaluate how good of an idea this is.

If they signed another FA then that would change of course.
    I think Lang is way better than Engleberger so i would switch those 2 around and Mckinley prolly wont be cut because he's a free agent signing

but otherwise i agree
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dwills#1fan27 View Post
      I think Lang is way better than Engleberger so i would switch those 2 around and Mckinley prolly wont be cut because he's a free agent signing

but otherwise i agree
      So, you are predicting that the Broncos keep 10 DL, including both Lang and McKinley? That was always a possibility, but it's more likely now that the team keeps either 8 or 9.

Engleberger is the starter. I don't like him, but I'm not making the decisions. He's played consistently well in camp and during the pre-season according to the coaches, who made him #1 on the depth chart. No way Lang stays and Engleberger goes.

The signing of John Browning is probably the death warrant for both Lang and McKinley. Why sign him NOW unless you're serious about keeping him? He's a veteran and they know basically what he can do from watching him for 11 years on the Chiefs. He can play both tackle and end which means he can fill in where needed. Keeping him and cutting both Lang and McKinley means they save a roster spot.

Keeping McKinley does nothing if one of the ends goes down, they need some more insurance there. Same thing at tackle if they keep Lang. So, Browning is sort of an all-purpose guy, which is a good idea if you don't know where you might need one.

It's exactly what Shanahan might do if he weren't happy keeping either McKinley OR Lang, and wanted another veteran backup for insurance.

If they cut Browning and go with 9 DL, then probably one of the following players stays: Lang, McKinley, OR Veal.
      Last edited by Cugel; 08-26-2007, 12:17 PM.
      sigpic

Comment

i think you're close, but i still believe we'll keep 9-- IMO, probably the guys you identified plus either mckinley or veal. . .
        Officially Objectified by the GPA

rest in peace, darrent williams and damien nash-- you will be missed!!

Comment

Originally posted by dwills#1fan27 View Post

but otherwise i agree
          No way Engleberger is pur best run stopping D-lineman we need to keep him.

Comment

Every defense Bates has coached, there have been more than eight lineman on the roster. (Green Bay and Miami references.)

Comment

Originally posted by dogfish View Post
              i think you're close, but i still believe we'll keep 9-- IMO, probably the guys you identified plus either mckinley or veal. . .
              Well, I made my case why they might cut McKinley and Veal and Lang, and keep John Browning, mainly because they need a backup at RDE in case either Dumervil or Moss either is hurt or just can't do the job. Remember that neither has ever started a game before, so it's risky not having a backup there after Ekuban was lost for the season. We'll see who's right soon enough.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dogfish View Post
                Plus Mckinley IMO.

Comment

Nice break down Cugel. I think your dead on all except McKinley.

His versatility is a huge asset to the team. By keeping him on the roster, in case of injury or in certain situations, that versatility comes in very handy in him being able to play DT and DE.

And it seems Bates reckonizes this asset by moving him to DE for awhile last night. He's making a strong case for himself not to be cut along the D-line IMO.

It seems Lang may be out at one of the DE positions. He's not injured that i know of and did'nt play at all last night. ( Nor did David Terrell :hint hint: )

Keep in mind in this scheme the DTs are not asked to do anything but keep the O-lineman off the LBs.

For the most part.

Considering his responsibility, it's hard to gauge if has done anything or not considering they don't keep stats for stuff like that. From what i've seen of him in a Broncos uni, he's done his job.

All that said he probably gets cut today!

Just my :2cents:

Comment

Originally posted by Cugel View Post
                    Well, I made my case why they might cut McKinley and Veal and Lang, and keep John Browning, mainly because they need a backup at RDE in case either Dumervil or Moss either is hurt or just can't do the job. Remember that neither has ever started a game before, so it's risky not having a backup there after Ekuban was lost for the season. We'll see who's right soon enough.
                    i think most likely browning was brought in as a warm body because of injuries. . . i'd say it's more likely we would see engelberger shifted to the right side with crowder (or possibly mckinley) starting on the left. . .

Comment

I agree with mostly what you say... except not. We should keep everyone on the DL that we can afford to. The more depth and position battles the better players will pan out. I don't think we're in much of a position to be making more cuts to the DL... But my last name doesn't end in hanahan.

Comment

Originally posted by columbiaskinny View Post
                        And it seems Bates reckonizes this asset by moving him to DE for awhile last night. He's making a strong case for himself not to be cut along the D-line IMO.
                        Agreed.

Nice sig btw...HAR HAR HAR.

Comment

When he was signed it was said that Mckinly could play tackle/end so it just as easily be Mckinly that stays. I dont know why they brought in browning maybe a knee jerker. It could be the case that mckinly is cut although at this point i am gonna say he sticks.

I was encouraged by the play of kennedy last night.
                          The fool who fancies he is full of wisdom
                          While he sits by his hearth at home.
                          Quickly finds when questioned by others .
                          That he knows nothing at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncosinindy View Post
                            When he was signed it was said that Mckinly could play tackle/end so it just as easily be Mckinly that stays. I dont know why they brought in browning maybe a knee jerker. It could be the case that mckinly is cut although at this point i am gonna say he sticks.

I was encouraged by the play of kennedy last night.
                            i want to go back and watch the game again before making any judgements, but i did notice him getting pretty nice penetration on a couple of plays. . .

Comment

Im thinking the broncos will keep 10 D-linemen this year and McKinnley and Burton make the team.

Comment

Working...
                              X