Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who Will Stay and Who Will Go Among the DL?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cugel
    replied
    Well, looks like I was right! Lang and Veal are both gone and John Browning and McKinley are still here.

So, I'm guessing it's the eight I mentioned, plus either Browning or McKinley for the 9th DL spot!

Leave a comment:

• Cugel
    replied
    Originally posted by RC278430 View Post
    I think you are spot on.

Too bad Peterson has the four game suspension, he has played well in the preseason...perhaps the roids are still in his system but he has a hell of a motor.

I am just disapointed that Amon Gordon is going to be announced as a starter.
    Amon Gordon is this year's version of Mike Myers, a backup who should never start and never WOULD start on any other team. The difference is that this year Marcus Thomas is sitting behind him and could eventually take over, if he can develop enough this year.

Last year there was nobody with any real potential behind Myers.

Leave a comment:

• RC278430
    replied
    Originally posted by Cugel View Post
    Well, after last night, it's time to sort the losers from the winners. Those who might keep their jobs, versus those among the DL whom FA will hit in the butt.

Right now, it looks like the team might just keep both Ernster and Sauerbrun again, which would take up a roster spot. Then there's the battle among the WRs, they might keep as many as 6 in order to have an extra for ST. And there's LS Leach, who counts as a TE, but is only used as a long-snapper. And speaking of TEs can they really cut Alexander now and rely on Sheffler? They might need to keep an extra TE.

So, while I earlier predicted the team would keep 9 or 10 DL, they might go with 8 or 9. If that's true, who will stay and who will go? The top 8 are fairly obvious, it's the last 2 that might be interesting:

Blue = Starters who will stay. Red = "Good-bye"

LE: John Engelberger, Tim Crowder

On the chopping block: Kenard Lang, Kenny Peterson

LT: Sam Adams, Jimmy Kennedy

On the chopping block: Antwon Burton

RT: Amon Gordon, Marcus Thomas
    On the chopping block Alvin McKinley, Demetrin Veal, Steven Harris

RE: Elvis Dumervil, Jarvis Moss
    On the chopping block: John Browning

Well, they just brought in Browning. So, it's down to, do they keep 9 and if they do, do they keep an extra end or tackle?

After last night I'm betting they go with Dumervil at RDE and let Moss back him up. We'll know if they keep him out of the last game. But, if so, then Kenard Lang looks to be toast. He was relegated to third team this spring and never advanced. Bates probably decided after looking at film that Lang wasn't the kind of player he wanted. Lang's best chance was that Dumervil wasn't ready and they'd keep him as an extra veteran at RE. That's unlikely now.

Kenny Peterson is an interesting case. His chances of making the squad would have been pretty good because of his special teams work, except that he's being suspended for the first 4 games of the season. Tough to keep him on then. He'll probably be cut and possibly re-signed later after his suspension if they need an extra DL down the road.

Antwon Burton is a scrub and is likely gone.

Alvin McKinley, despite MUG's endorsement, has done nothing so far this pre-season and it looks like he's a loser in the battle for a spot. He was the first FA signed, but they then went out and got Jimmy Kennedy, who appears to be battling for the same roster spot. Kennedy has played more and looks like the winner in that battle. If Kennedy works out this season, they plan to try and sign him to a long-term contract next year, if not, then they can let him become a FA without penalty.

Demetrin Veal and Steven Harris are interesting. Veal might have a spot because of special teams play if they go to 9 DL. He's versatile and started (and sucked) last year. Since they need some DL for special teams play and for insurance they might keep him around. Harris was always a long-shot.

John Browning is a long-term veteran they just signed. It's a bit late to bring somebody in for training camp fodder, unless you intend to keep them. He can play tackle or end (neither well) and Shanahan likes him for some reason.

If they go to 9 DL, he might just make the roster and they cut Lang. That would make him the veteran backup if either Moss or Dumervil goes down. Plus, he has experience so he could fill in if it looks like Dumervil can't play the run well enough and Moss isn't ready. In short he's a general fire insurance. I don't know much about him, so I can't evaluate how good of an idea this is.

If they signed another FA then that would change of course.

I think you are spot on.

Too bad Peterson has the four game suspension, he has played well in the preseason...perhaps the roids are still in his system but he has a hell of a motor.

I am just disapointed that Amon Gordon is going to be announced as a starter.

Leave a comment:

• dogfish
    replied
    cug, the way he described it is correct. . .

Leave a comment:

• Cugel
    replied
    Originally posted by broncolee View Post
    I don't think the suspension counts unless he's on someone's roster. If the Broncos want him for his special teams play and as a back up on the line, they are going to have to keep him and eat those four games.
    So, if nobody is willing to eat the 4 games and keep him on the roster without being able to use him, he can NEVER come back into the league? Somehow that doesn't sound right?

I don't know but I would think that if he sits out the 4games without pay that some team could sign him and he could come back. But, I'm not sure about that. I'm sure he could petition the commissioner about that. It's not as if he's getting away with something by being out of football for that amount of time!

And if a team cuts him, then he's a FA and the Broncos lose all their rights to him. And after 4 games, if he's eligible to return, then anybody could sign him away from Denver. So, there's not circumventing the restriction.

Leave a comment:

• broncolee
    replied
    Kenny Peterson is an interesting case. His chances of making the squad would have been pretty good because of his special teams work, except that he's being suspended for the first 4 games of the season. Tough to keep him on then. He'll probably be cut and possibly re-signed later after his suspension if they need an extra DL down the road.
    I don't think the suspension counts unless he's on someone's roster. If the Broncos want him for his special teams play and as a back up on the line, they are going to have to keep him and eat those four games.

Leave a comment:

• Cugel
    replied
    Originally posted by dogfish View Post
    i think most likely browning was brought in as a warm body because of injuries. . . i'd say it's more likely we would see engelberger shifted to the right side with crowder (or possibly mckinley) starting on the left. . .
    You can't have Engleberger playing RDE because he has absolutely ZERO pass-rush capability. The QB would be able to sit there all day and read the news, then throw the ball. Just like last year, and we all remember how that turned out!

I didn't know McKinley could play DE. If so, then maybe he stays and Browning is cut. I'd prefer that, I'm just predicting what Shanahan will do.

And I'm not predicting they will keep 8 DL. I think 9 is more likely, in order to have a backup at RDE. Clearly they WERE going to keep 9 before Ekuban got hurt.

1. Ekuban,
    2. Dumervil,
    3. Moss,
    4. Gordon,
    5. Thomas,
    6. Adams,
    7. Kennedy,
    8. Engleberger
    9. Crowder

No way any of those players would have been cut. So, you're probably right they just keep either McKinley, Browning, Veal or Lang. All of them can play multiple positions and all have starting experience. Most likely Browning or McKinley.
    Last edited by Cugel; 08-26-2007, 03:22 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Broncosinindy
    replied
    Originally posted by dogfish View Post
    i want to go back and watch the game again before making any judgements, but i did notice him getting pretty nice penetration on a couple of plays. . .
    This was watching it on sopcast!(better then nothing)Seemed to me as he held the point pretty well and had decent(not great)penetration.

What i am mad about it is this. when we did blitz and stunt we could not get to the QB

I think jarvis washed himself out of a couple plays. Once jarvis develops some good counter moves and maybe a bull rush. along with strength. hes gonna be good.

Leave a comment:

• Sam_Z
    replied
    Im thinking the broncos will keep 10 D-linemen this year and McKinnley and Burton make the team.

Leave a comment:

• dogfish
    replied
    Originally posted by Broncosinindy View Post
    When he was signed it was said that Mckinly could play tackle/end so it just as easily be Mckinly that stays. I dont know why they brought in browning maybe a knee jerker. It could be the case that mckinly is cut although at this point i am gonna say he sticks.

I was encouraged by the play of kennedy last night.
    i want to go back and watch the game again before making any judgements, but i did notice him getting pretty nice penetration on a couple of plays. . .

Leave a comment:

• Broncosinindy
    replied
    When he was signed it was said that Mckinly could play tackle/end so it just as easily be Mckinly that stays. I dont know why they brought in browning maybe a knee jerker. It could be the case that mckinly is cut although at this point i am gonna say he sticks.

I was encouraged by the play of kennedy last night.

Leave a comment:

• WABronco
    replied
    Originally posted by columbiaskinny View Post
    And it seems Bates reckonizes this asset by moving him to DE for awhile last night. He's making a strong case for himself not to be cut along the D-line IMO.
    Agreed.

Nice sig btw...HAR HAR HAR.

Leave a comment:

• Zealander
    replied
    I agree with mostly what you say... except not. We should keep everyone on the DL that we can afford to. The more depth and position battles the better players will pan out. I don't think we're in much of a position to be making more cuts to the DL... But my last name doesn't end in hanahan.

Leave a comment:

• dogfish
    replied
    Originally posted by Cugel View Post
    Well, I made my case why they might cut McKinley and Veal and Lang, and keep John Browning, mainly because they need a backup at RDE in case either Dumervil or Moss either is hurt or just can't do the job. Remember that neither has ever started a game before, so it's risky not having a backup there after Ekuban was lost for the season. We'll see who's right soon enough.
    i think most likely browning was brought in as a warm body because of injuries. . . i'd say it's more likely we would see engelberger shifted to the right side with crowder (or possibly mckinley) starting on the left. . .

Leave a comment:

• columbiaskinny
    replied
    Nice break down Cugel. I think your dead on all except McKinley.

His versatility is a huge asset to the team. By keeping him on the roster, in case of injury or in certain situations, that versatility comes in very handy in him being able to play DT and DE.

And it seems Bates reckonizes this asset by moving him to DE for awhile last night. He's making a strong case for himself not to be cut along the D-line IMO.

It seems Lang may be out at one of the DE positions. He's not injured that i know of and did'nt play at all last night. ( Nor did David Terrell :hint hint: )

Keep in mind in this scheme the DTs are not asked to do anything but keep the O-lineman off the LBs.

For the most part.

Considering his responsibility, it's hard to gauge if has done anything or not considering they don't keep stats for stuff like that. From what i've seen of him in a Broncos uni, he's done his job.

All that said he probably gets cut today!

Just my :2cents:

Leave a comment:

Working...
X