X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mojo0730
    replied
    Originally posted by tnedator View Post
    One way for us 'fans' to determine it is when people like Lynch and Shanny publically state that the play was poor and needs to improve, in preseason. When we see Shanny call a very unusual practice at Invesco the night before a game.

Those are a couple ways we can determine poor play. Not too mention actually seeing the results or lack of results on the field. Cutler throwing behind receivers, Gold missing tackles, etc. Those are pretty clear indications of poor play.
    Well, since you're taking preseason so seriously, let's go ahead and break this down...

The first game against San Fransisco, we can pretty much agree is a wash. You can't determine anything positive or negative, as Mike Shanahan has stated that they don't really do or plan much for the first preseason game.

The second game against the Cowboys was pretty bad, but considering the short week, heat, Dallas utilizing a game plan, and Denver practicing in Dallas that week, I can pretty much excuse the Broncos' play in this game, too.

So the only game that's really in question is the Browns Game - a game where Denver had four sacks in the first half, the offensive line looked tremendous, and Cutler drove us down the field and had a touchdown pass in a two minute scenario. We easily could have won the game if not for a dropped pass by Walker and Denver going for two after their second TD. Yeah, the Browns are not a great team. But I saw a lot of positives in the Browns game that I hadn't seen in the previous two games. The only drawback on defense was some coverage breakdowns on third down, which according to the players, was all communication issues. That can and will be worked out.

I really don't understand your panic based on those assessments.

Leave a comment:

• Ravage!!!
    replied
    One way for us 'fans' to determine it is when people like Lynch and Shanny publically state that the play was poor and needs to improve, in preseason. When we see Shanny call a very unusual practice at Invesco the night before a game.

Those are a couple ways we can determine poor play. Not too mention actually seeing the results or lack of results on the field. Cutler throwing behind receivers, Gold missing tackles, etc. Those are pretty clear indications of poor play.
    Mmmmmm kay..........

Leave a comment:

• tnedator
    replied
    Originally posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    Not true. Because how do you determine that play? By what you see? Because the Raider fans were saying that they were BACk due to the PLAY on the field they saw during pre-season. People were saying the Colts were on the decline, because of the poor PLAY they saw during their preseason losses last year. So the "play" in preseason means as much as the wins-losses, squat.

The only PLAY that matters is what happens during the reg season. If we played well during the pre-season, then got whipped in the regular season, would that GOOD play in the pre-season matter??? No. So the play, again, in the pre-season games means nothing.

Leave a comment:

• Ravage!!!
    replied
    Originally posted by Cugel View Post
    The pre-season means nothing because veterans whose jobs are secure are only trying to avoid injury and get ready for the regular season. Champ Bailey had an article in the News the other day that said just that.

He was complaining that the pre-season was just a chance for injury in a game for which he's not even being paid. Think he's going all out? Fat chance!

Rookies and FAs are trying to make the team. That's what pre-season is for.

Winning and losing has NOTHING to do with it and will have NOTHING to do with how the Broncos play in the regular season.

Sometimes a team sucks in pre-season and sucks during the regular season. But, sometimes a team will do great in the pre-season, but suck in the regular season like the Raiders did last year.

Then again, sometimes a team will suck in pre-season and win the SB like the Colts did. People were complaining about how bad the Patriots looked in the pre-season in 2004 too.

Pre-season just has NO predictive force. About the only thing you can tell is if a player is playing well or not. Sometimes.
    I needed to quote this, because it said everything I wanted to say. Especially the point you made on what Bailey said. I was going to use Sam Adams as an example, but people seem to listen to Champ more.

The Vets aren't getting paid for these games. THey are just opportunities to get injured and ruin the regular season, as well as take away your pay-check. They have a whole new intensity and level of play during the regular season, that its just not something you can determine by the MEANINGLESS pre-season games. They are SOOOo meaningless.

Great post Cugal

Leave a comment:

• Ravage!!!
    replied
    Preseason records mean nothing. Preseason play does. There is a difference.
    Not true. Because how do you determine that play? By what you see? Because the Raider fans were saying that they were BACk due to the PLAY on the field they saw during pre-season. People were saying the Colts were on the decline, because of the poor PLAY they saw during their preseason losses last year. So the "play" in preseason means as much as the wins-losses, squat.

The only PLAY that matters is what happens during the reg season. If we played well during the pre-season, then got whipped in the regular season, would that GOOD play in the pre-season matter??? No. So the play, again, in the pre-season games means nothing.

Leave a comment:

• silkamilkamonic
    replied
    Originally posted by Return of Lava View Post
    You would know if we showed a flash of game-planning/reg. season simulation in preseason, but we didnt, which was the whole point of the thread genius.
    And how does Bates gameplan with a defense when

a)the entire defense isn't even put into place as far as scheme
    b)he doesn't know what's going to be successful, and what isn't
    c)he doesn't even know who's going to be the starting block

If that's the point of your thread, it's a worthless argument then.

Leave a comment:

• jhns
    replied
    See here is the thing, Im sure you will be part of the many who wont be able to understand why the same problems that happened in preseason are happening come opening day

Are we as air-tight as the colts?

Didnt think so

Keep the thread open
    Colts = air-tight...

That is a pretty good joke. But seriously, you where saying about defenses?

There is no team in the league that doesn't have at least 5 weaknesses. That is just how the league has gotten since the salary cap. This is what a lot of people forget.

Also, preseason does not take advantage of coaching and play calling. Noone is running stuff that they are going to be using in the regular season. Everything is base. The only special plays you see are ones intended to look at individual players that the coaches want to test.

Also, with any team that changes coaches or coordinators, preseason teaches the players the new system. No team that has to intall a new system looks dominant in the preseason. That especially being true when they add as many new players as we have.

Fans should not be allowed to watch preseason as many of them are having heart failure for nothing.

Preseason is needed for players though. A lot of players have made their career by playing good in a preseason. A lot of players would have never made NFL teams if it wasn't for preseason. It is just a good chance to see how people do in live game action and it is a good chance for the players to see some game speed before the season starts.
    Last edited by jhns; 08-27-2007, 11:03 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Return of Lava
    replied
    Originally posted by silkamilkamonic View Post
    I dont know how the defense is going to be once the season starts,
    You would know if we showed a flash of game-planning/reg. season simulation in preseason, but we didnt, which was the whole point of the thread.
    Last edited by Archimedes Owl; 08-27-2007, 02:48 PM.

Leave a comment:

• sneakers
    replied
    I like the preseason! I don't think they will do away with it because it is two extra home games for which the owners to make money off of.

Leave a comment:

• bjoli198
    replied
    to me, what preseason is about is finding the little pieces of gold, like letting mike bell playing for a rosterspot last season, or giving marques colston in the saints a chance to show what he could do

Leave a comment:

• Ravage!!!
    replied
    Originally posted by silkamilkamonic View Post
    I dont know how the defense is going to be once the season starts, but if you honestly believe that Denver is going to approach defense the same way come week 1 as they are right now in the preseason, you don't have a clue as to what the purpose of preseason is.
    good post.......

Leave a comment:

• Ravage!!!
    replied
    Whats with the excuse that its preseason so its no big deal? We are losing games, so what does that mean? Other tems dont follow that same line of thinking. They are ready for the season, they already on win streaks. They are ahead of us and I dont like it. Other than that its not like we were just playing around in these games. i think thats a weak excuse, what the purpose of having camp and preseason if they arent gonna try.
    because the purpose of the pre-season isn't really for the coaches and the team. The team doesn't need the pre-season games, its for the fans, the promotion of the NFl, and for owners to be able to sell tickets to at least 2 more games.

The other teams are ready for the season? They are already on win streaks? You mean like that 4 game win streak the Raiders went on during the pre-season last year? You mean like that 0-4 losing streak that the Colts went on last year bfore the regular season??? "if we aren't going to try".......... because pre-season games mean SQUAT. Some feel they want to win.. other don't..... so what.

Leave a comment:

• DancingHorsey
    replied
    God this is getting old...

Our defensive personnel is more or less as good as it was last year, and our DC is worlds better. Our defense will almost certainly be better this year than it was last year. In other words it will be, at a minimum, above-average. Stop worrying so much.

Leave a comment:

• DenBronx
    replied
    I wish the Colts were week 12 or so, rather than 3 or 4 or whenever we face them. Based on what we have seen in preseason, I am guessing that the team will be much better in the second half of the season than the first half.
    eh...the colts are playing terrible in preseason too at a 1-2 record. but come regular season i doubt this will be the case. if we dont have it together by the time we play them in week 3 or 4 then i dont see us being a playoff contender.

even if we finally get it together by the 2nd half of the season there are still many valuable games we can not afford to lose in the 1st half. i hope we come out strong our first game of the year this year against the bills.

Leave a comment:

• mojo0730
    replied
    I think the problem with preseason is fans put way too much stock into it, and freak out when they see things that aren't really there (see the numerous threads on these boards for proof of that). Sometimes preseason woes carry over into the regular season. Sometimes they don't. As another poster pointed out, last season, Indy went 1-3 in the preseason, whereas Oakland went 4-0, and which one was Super Bowl champion? You can say that preseason record doesn't matter, it's all about play. Well, Oakland had to play pretty well to get to a 4-0 record in preseason, but all that amounted to nothing in the regular season. Yeah, there are some concerns and inconsistent play with Denver right now, but that's to be expected with all the turnover we had in the offseason. I, personally, wouldn't mind seeing the NFL drop two of the preseason games in favor of adding a 17th or 18th game to the schedule. But that's just my opinion.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X