Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Here is a thought! / Selvin Young should make the team! (Merged)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mikeys take on Selvin after the Cleveland game was that he looked a step faster than anyone on the feild. That said, it's apperant he caught Mikey's eye.

It's always nice to have a "change of pace" type back on your team (Glynn Milbourn, Quentin Griffin).

I'm not saying he's a lock to make the team, but if there is a place for him on the team, that might be it.

:2cents:

Comment

I thought Young went undrafted because of injury. He has some talent. He just needs to make the most of his opportunities.
      sigpic

Thank you for everything Darrent. I'll never forget #27.

Comment

Originally posted by dbsoldier View Post
        It was just one game!! but i dis-agree that because he was not drafted means he cant make it. jamal anderson, TD, willie parker just to name a few if you went by what people said about them coming in to the nfl then they wouldnt have made it. He had injury issues at texas, every year he was there that is the reason he was not drafted!!

The guy has played one game!!! He looked pretty good in that 1 game!! I think he will make the team, but just because i see sapp going back to fullback and being our starter there. Johnson just doesnt block as well!!

just my 2cents
        TD was drafted in the 6th round
        sigpic

Comment

Selvin Young is an undrafted player who played 1 good half against the Cleveland Browns second and third string defenders.

The kid has some potential and has played for a big school which is always good. I think the right thing to do is stick him in the PS until injuries open up a roster spot or let him be there for a year and then evaluate him. Right now he is not good enough to take Travis Henrys spot, Mike Bell did at least as well last year in preseason and has a season of experience, Cecil Sapp is a solid multi role player who is a ST contributer as well.

Comment

Originally posted by ReleaseTheBeast7 View Post
            He was undrafted for a reason. He won't be a "special" player in this league, he'll be an average backup with exceptional speed at best.

Rod Smith went undrafted...

Comment

I do think Selvin Young can be a special player, and always thought so while he was at Texas. The biggest hurdle to him breaking out has always been injury. Based on talent, Young would have been drafted. He isn't some no-name player, he could have been one of the top backs in the country had he stayed healthy and got the opportunity. I am rooting for Young, but not going to buy into the hype until he can prove that he is healthy and can stay that way. I really want him to make the team, but to do so Sapp would have to go back to FB unless they cut ties with Hall and Bell. I can't see Mike Bell or Selvin Young clearing waivers to be put on the PS, someone will pick them up if cut.

Either way, Selvin has upside

Comment

Selvin needs to show he can run between the tackles before I get impressed with him. Every run in Clev game was to the outside. I think TH, Sapp, Bell have the top three spots locked down and Young will go PS.

R Ayers - B Cofield - A Haynesworth - CJ ohnson
                J Anderson - J Beason - DJ Williams
                R Bailey - P Amukamara - R Hill - A Goodman

Comment

Originally posted by columbiaskinny View Post
                  Mikeys take on Selvin after the Cleveland game was that he looked a step faster than anyone on the feild. That said, it's apperant he caught Mikey's eye.

It's always nice to have a "change of pace" type back on your team (Glynn Milbourn, Quentin Griffin).

I'm not saying he's a lock to make the team, but if there is a place for him on the team, that might be it.

:2cents:
                  Good Post Skinny I agree :thumb:

Comment

Just to echo some of the sentiments already expressed...

1) Young looked good the other night but it was only one game, and a preseason game at that. The coaches have spent a lot more time watching him and I trust them to make the appropriate decision.

2) Being undrafted obviously does not mean a player can't become a great player. Already mentioned several times was Rod Smith. But outside of him, there are plenty of examples:

Priest Holmes became a regular Pro Bowler
                    Willie Parker just made the Pro Bowl and is a top back when healthy
                    Wayne Chrebet was the "Rudy" of the league
                    Warren Moon became a Hall of Famer
                    Kurt Warner became a league MVP
                    Jeff Garcia has had a good career including several Pro Bowls
                    Antonio Gates is one of the best TEs in the game today
                    London Fletcher has had a very good career

On the Broncos, Terrell Davis and Shannon Sharpe could easily have gone undrafted. Karl Mecklenberg was drafted in the 11th round so would have gone undrafted in today's NFL.

All that being said, let's let the coaches do what they get paid to do. If Young looks special to the guys who watch him play every day then he'll make the team.
                    "You can't take the sky from me..."
                    ------
                    "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

I disagree on the opinions of Selvin. He possesses the speed and power but what made me think highly of him was his ability to know when to run betweent he tackles, when to cut back and when to bounce it outside. A lot of these young RB like to bounce plays outside right away instead of being patient by following the blocks and cutting back after setting up a LB. In addition to those things he did well on passing down chipping DE and picking up blitzes. I was very impressed.

Travis better not get hurt this year or he's gonna lose his job.

Comment

You guys need to understand that this guy had a lot of pressure on him in that game vs. a first team D. and showed a great deal of heart! it may have been one game, but it was his career on the line, knuckleheads!
                        Last edited by Shanahanaramjam; 08-27-2007, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cutler2007 View Post
                          Selvin needs to show he can run between the tackles before I get impressed with him. Every run in Clev game was to the outside. I think TH, Sapp, Bell have the top three spots locked down and Young will go PS.
                          Young won't clear waivers to make the practice squad. A team like Green Bay will pick him up based on that one game alone.
                          Welcome to the team 2010 draft picks

Comment

Well, Cobbs just got cut, so that one's out.

And sorry but you'll have to excuse my lack of excitement that our backup RB's just happen to be undrafted players that none of the other 31 teams wanted. Something scares me a bit about that, and we all better hope Henry stays healthy.

How about we don't call someone a "rock solid back" or "the rb of our future" after one decent preseason game.

Comment

Wow there are sure a lot of experts saying someone is not that good, or not that special. Hmmmm this has been said of many players and many of those players made a point. I wish I was as smart as you all!!!!
                              sigpic

Comment

I won't say he's special, but I believe he can be a legit NFL back. Texas does not recruit future CFL players. Minus the injuries, he gets drafted.

Comment

Working...
                                X