Howdy Bronco Fans!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Orchard Park View Post
    I agree, there are some similarities for both of our teams. I think the big difference would be, obviously, Champ... but also your running game. You all have a proven running system year after year. That's something that we're trying to develop but by no means have proven it yet. I'm hopeful. As for WRs my opinion is that it's a wash. You have more talent across the board but, in my opinion, our #1 is clear cut above the rest on either roster.
    I like Evans but I would not say that he is clearly better than Walker. Despite coming off an ACL injury and playing in a run-heavy offense and having a QB change during the season (moving to a rookie), Walker still put up similar numbers to Evans last year.

If our offensive line is back on track and Cutler lives up to expectations, I expect Walker to be back to Pro Bowl form this year. We'll see.

I'm not positive on this, so I figured you all would know, but I heard that the Broncos are big fans of letting Champ completely remove the opposing team's #2 from the game and then double covering the #1 with the #2 CB and a safety. Let me know if I'm wrong on that one, because I would absolutely love to watch Evans and Bailey square off.

Thanks for the welcome, I'll be interesed to see how this plays out.
    Bailey usually covers the other teams' #1 receivers, although there are obviously the occasional switches during games as the situation calls for it. Depending on what the coaches are planning with Bly, I would expect Champ to cover Evans.

But the question is whether or not your coaches steer Losman away from Bailey if that's the case. Most teams, even the Colts, seem to avoid Champ most of the time and just toss the occasional ball his direction.
    "You can't take the sky from me..."
    ------
    "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

Originally posted by Javalon View Post
      I like Evans but I would not say that he is clearly better than Walker. Despite coming off an ACL injury and playing in a run-heavy offense and having a QB change during the season (moving to a rookie), Walker still put up similar numbers to Evans last year.
      Very true. But the Broncos had a solid running game and solid #2 to take the pressure off Walker, also a MUCH better O-Line buying him time last year. Evans put up his numbers basically being the only legitimate offensive thread on the team with a completely patchwork O-Line.

My favorite Evans stat from KC Joyner: Last year Evans was thrown to 5 times on double move routes. He caught all 5 of those passes for 248 yards and 5 TDs.

Bailey usually covers the other teams' #1 receivers, although there are obviously the occasional switches during games as the situation calls for it. Depending on what the coaches are planning with Bly, I would expect Champ to cover Evans.

But the question is whether or not your coaches steer Losman away from Bailey if that's the case. Most teams, even the Colts, seem to avoid Champ most of the time and just toss the occasional ball his direction.
      Good to know. That should be really interesting then. I think the Bills will go at him. We, probably more than any other team, HAVE to go to our #1 WR.

Comment

While it may be the smart thing I don't think we can honestly. He's the key to our passing game...we have to try him, even with the risk that entails. Unless someone steps up big and grabs the no.2 role by the short ones in that game.

Comment

Originally posted by Orchard Park View Post
          Very true. But the Broncos had a solid running game and solid #2 to take the pressure off Walker, also a MUCH better O-Line buying him time last year. Evans put up his numbers basically being the only legitimate offensive thread on the team with a completely patchwork O-Line.
          Actually, Rod Smith was struggling mightily last year with his hip injury (and age?) and couldn't take the pressure off Javon and so JW saw all the double teams. And we lost Lepsis early in the season, who was replaced by a rookie, and had a collapse at RT, and we couldn't wait to get rid of our RG this offseason; i.e. we weren't exactly stable on our O-line, either. And once an ineffective Plummer got replaced by a rookie we saw constant blitzes which gave us even less time to throw the ball.

As he was also coming off that ACL injury, Walker put up good numbers, all things considered. Now I'm not taking anything away from Evans, who I think should continue to be really good and have a good shot at the Pro Bowl. But I think you're not giving Walker enough credit, as a former Pro Bowler himself. Like I said, we'll see.

Good to know. That should be really interesting then. I think the Bills will go at him. We, probably more than any other team, HAVE to go to our #1 WR.
          It should be interesting, for sure. Now if we can get a consistent pass rush, I think the Bills will definitely regret it if they throw his way. If we don't get a pass rush, well, ANY corner can be beat if he has to cover for too long.

IMO, the key to the game will be the Bills' rushing offense versus our rushing defense. If our defense struggles against the run and Marshawn starts off hot, I think you guys win. If we can hold down your running game (say around 3.3 ypc or less) and make your offense mostly one-dimensional, I think the Broncos win. Then again, there are so many unknowns on both teams that any number of them could alter the outcome in unforeseen ways. But it's still fun to speculate like we know something.
          ------

Comment

Originally posted by GoldenWheels View Post
            While it may be the smart thing I don't think we can honestly. He's the key to our passing game...we have to try him, even with the risk that entails. Unless someone steps up big and grabs the no.2 role by the short ones in that game.
            I understand. And like I just said in my previous post, if we don't generate a pass rush, even Champ can be had. But if Losman has to hurry some throws regardless of good coverage on Evans, well, that's how Champ got most of his 10 picks last year despite only being thrown at around 30 times the entire season. (1 out of 3 ain't too shabby...)
            ------

Comment

Actually, Rod Smith was struggling mightily last year with his hip injury (and age?) and couldn't take the pressure off Javon and so JW saw all the double teams. And we lost Lepsis early in the season, who was replaced by a rookie, and had a collapse at RT, and we couldn't wait to get rid of our RG this offseason; i.e. we weren't exactly stable on our O-line, either. And once an ineffective Plummer got replaced by a rookie we saw constant blitzes which gave us even less time to throw the ball.

As he was also coming off that ACL injury, Walker put up good numbers, all things considered. Now I'm not taking anything away from Evans, who I think should continue to be really good and have a good shot at the Pro Bowl. But I think you're not giving Walker enough credit, as a former Pro Bowler himself. Like I said, we'll see.

It should be interesting, for sure. Now if we can get a consistent pass rush, I think the Bills will definitely regret it if they throw his way. If we don't get a pass rush, well, ANY corner can be beat if he has to cover for too long.

IMO, the key to the game will be the Bills' rushing offense versus our rushing defense. If our defense struggles against the run and Marshawn starts off hot, I think you guys win. If we can hold down your running game (say around 3.3 ypc or less) and make your offense mostly one-dimensional, I think the Broncos win. Then again, there are so many unknowns on both teams that any number of them could alter the outcome in unforeseen ways. But it's still fun to speculate like we know something.
              I think the Bills rushing offense will be the key to our season as well. The defense will give up a lot of yards and hopefully stiffen around the red zone. We know that. The offense will have some big plays to Evans, the Special teams will win us more than our fair share of field position battles. The key is Lynch and the running game. If we can sustain some drives, the D should have a chance to rest and, I would think, be much more successful at bending but not breaking. But the nature of the strength of our offense (the deep ball) leads to our defense having to spend obscene amounts of time on the field. Lynch and the run blocking are that X factor that could define our season, in my opinion.

And, perhaps I am overlooking Walker a little bit. I did forget that Smith was the #2 last year instead of Marshall... but, again, a passing game is always more potent when an opposing defense has to respect the run game. We didn't command that respect last season.

Comment

I understand. And like I just said in my previous post, if we don't generate a pass rush, even Champ can be had. But if Losman has to hurry some throws regardless of good coverage on Evans, well, that's how Champ got most of his 10 picks last year despite only being thrown at around 30 times the entire season. (1 out of 3 ain't too shabby...)
                Hear ya. Will be a test for your young DEs and a test for our new O-line. Should be interesting. Losman has a nice deep ball when given time.

Comment

Working...
                X