Broncos About 7 Million Under The Salary Cap,but

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broncos About 7 Million Under The Salary Cap,but

I was listening to Ted Sunquist on the fan 950 this morning,and he was asked about the Broncos cap situation an their willingness and ability to go out and get free agents.He said that the Broncos are about 7 million under the cap.He was asked about making a move on a guy like Trotter,Strahan,or Rice and responded that he is given a cash budget by Bowlen at the begining of the year,and it sounds like that has already been spent.

Bottom line it looks like we're going with what we got at this point.Don't look for a big free agent signings until the season is over.When asked about scouring the waiver wire for players cut from other teams,he said the Broncos do look,but they have a system that takes a awile to learn,and they are usually better off going with backups already in the system.

I could see where he is hitting his budged. We have only signed like half a billion in contracts this year. So much bonus money has been payed.

Comment

If the Broncos are under the salary cap, I'm sure Pat Bowlen can be convinced to loosen up the purse strings if the right FA becomes available. If they decide to stick with what they have, let's hope it's good enough. Considering Shanahan's desire to compete for the championship each year, I wouldn't be surprised if he insisted on going after a player he thinks will make a big difference on the field.
      My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
      You Mad Bro?
      Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

Funny that I asked about the cap a couple days ago I pretty much got, "don't worry about it."

My concern with the cap is if we will be able to lock up guys like DJ, Marshall, Myers and Elvis if they have a good year. I really do not want to see any "past their prime" Vets signed as I believe that the best thing our Broncos can do if let the young guys get experience while at the same time keep the group together. I was told that we always find room to sign guys we want, but that is really not the case as we have lost a few guys to cap constraints (Berry, Mike Anderson, Pryce, Sharpe, list goes on).

If we let guys like Thomas, Moss, Crowder and Abdullah see as much game action as they can, we have a chance to head into the 2nd half of the year as elite. Signing Rice for example would be detrimental to the development of Moss, who can only learn so much in practice.

R Ayers - B Cofield - A Haynesworth - CJ ohnson
        J Anderson - J Beason - DJ Williams
        R Bailey - P Amukamara - R Hill - A Goodman

Comment

Nope

No way are we going to spendf that 7 million. Look at the free agents after this season. We need that extra money to sign one of them. The most notable free-agent this year being Dwight Freeny.... belive so anyweays...wasn;t he tagged which means only one year or something like that right?
          Twitter: @FFB_Hitman88

Comment

Originally posted by Soldier96B View Post
            No way are we going to spendf that 7 million. Look at the free agents after this season. We need that extra money to sign one of them. The most notable free-agent this year being Dwight Freeny.... belive so anyweays...wasn;t he tagged which means only one year or something like that right?
            He was tagged but they removed it and gave him a huge contract. Freeney is now the highest paid defensive player in the league. I think its something like 72 mil over 6 years, so he is there for a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by rockrules40 View Post
              He was tagged but they removed it and gave him a huge contract. Freeney is now the highest paid defensive player in the league. I think its something like 72 mil over 6 years, so he is there for a long time.
              Oh well that sucks...but still i am sure there are alot of other big names out there that the broncos are saving that money for....or maybe Shanny as a high round draft pick in mind that he needs the money for....I am pretty sure there is a good reson for being so far under cap
              Twitter: @FFB_Hitman88

Comment

Sounds like we'll use it on some extensions. That's a-okay with me! =)

My adopted Bronco is Chris Kuper. Huzzah!

I am the raid leader for this World of Warcraft guild. Yay us!

Comment

Living in Phoenix, I can tell you that the Cardinals took some heat for being 10 million under the cap last year. I think the general consensus is, if you're not bumping the cap then you're not trying. Being 7 million under the cap gives the Broncos a chance to sign a couple of good FAs if they become available. They shouldn't dismiss the idea out of hand. I wouldn't want to see them throw money at guys that aren't going to help, but if the rumor about Chris Chambers being available for trade is true, I wouldn't be mad if the Broncos took a look at that opportunity.

As far as extensions go, I don't think this year's cap space is necessarily affected. When Walker came in last year, he was given an extension but last year he was playing on his contract from Green Bay. The extension didn't kick in until this year. So unless they rewrite someone's contract, an extension isn't going to affect this year's cap space. It will affect whatever year the extension goes into effect.

I won't be upset if they truly believe that there's no one out there that will help them this year and therefore remain 7 million under the cap. But, I hope they are keeping an open mind about it.
                  My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
                  You Mad Bro?
                  Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

Originally posted by broncolee View Post

As far as extensions go, I don't think this year's cap space is necessarily affected. When Walker came in last year, he was given an extension but last year he was playing on his contract from Green Bay. The extension didn't kick in until this year. So unless they rewrite someone's contract, an extension isn't going to affect this year's cap space. It will affect whatever year the extension goes into effect.
                    That was only for Walkers contract. Most every extension rewrites the entire contract and usually pay off a big chunk of bonus the year the extension is given. The only reason we did that with Walker is because we didn't know if he would return from his injury.

Comment

Originally posted by jhns View Post
                      That was only for Walkers contract. Most every extension rewrites the entire contract and usually pay off a big chunk of bonus the year the extension is given. The only reason we did that with Walker is because we didn't know if he would return from his injury.
                      Then the question becomes which players do they want to extend and when are those players' contract due to expire? The Broncos have a policy against redoing contracts that have more than a year left. That's what got Portis traded to the Redskins. He wanted more money but he still had 2 years left on his contract so the Broncos weren't going to redo his contract. Let's say DJ is a player they want to extend. Chances are his contract doesn't expire until either 2009 or 2010 depending on whether he signed a 5 year deal or a 6 year deal. That means the earliest he would be due an extension is 2008. This year's cap space would be irrelevant in that scenario. None of last year's rookies would be due an extension this year either. Marshall, as a 4th round pick, might have signed a 3 year deal, which would make him a RFA after the 2008 season, so they could try to extend him next year. Foxworth, a third round pick from 2005, probably isn't due an extension until next year as well. I can't think of any key players that would be due extensions this year.

So, depending on how the Broncos think the salary cap will be affected in future years, they might still be able to sign a couple of good FAs or make a trade for a player like Chambers.
                      You Mad Bro?
                      Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

i think its great to be under by 7 mil. just because we have it doesnt mean we should spend it. is it burning a hole in bowlens wallet? i think not. the coaches seem to be confident in who we have this year and next year i think we could pick up another high profiled free agent if that is what is needed.

so save the money for next year bowlen.
                        sigpic

Comment

It sounds like there is some confusion here. When you sign players they are normally given certain bonuses- let's say 5 million on a five year contract. For figuring the cap, the contract would only count 1 million each year. However when the contract was signed the organization would have to pay the player all $5 million up front out of pocket.

I think that Sundquist was saying that though there was plenty of cap room available there was not cash on hand to make a big signing.

Comment

Originally posted by Dean View Post
                            It sounds like there is some confusion here. When you sign players they are normally given certain bonuses- let's say 5 million on a five year contract. For figuring the cap, the contract would only count 1 million each year. However when the contract was signed the organization would have to pay the player all $5 million up front out of pocket.

I think that Sundquist was saying that though there was plenty of cap room available there was not cash on hand to make a big signing.
                            exactly.. thank you Dean.

So although 100% of the money is spent, only 20% (going by your example) of the money is showing. So the budget is spent and gone. This is a business first after all, they still look at the bottom line at the end of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!! View Post
                              exactly.. thank you Dean.

So although 100% of the money is spent, only 20% (going by your example) of the money is showing. So the budget is spent and gone. This is a business first after all, they still look at the bottom line at the end of the year.
                              Great Post Ravage,Sunquist also went on to say that even if they tries to sign a player it would be hard for them to learn a complex system we have,so it would be a waste of money this season to sign another player.Its would be better to go with backups that know the system.

Comment

Working...
                              X