Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's been done... But why is Elways the G.O.A.T.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's been done... But why is Elways the G.O.A.T.

This thread stems from a recent conversation, where a blog that I run. I posted my top 10 QB's of all time. Elway was number 1, which as you probably know from personal experience, not everyone agrees. Here is my list:

John Elway
    Joe Montana
    Peyton Manning (though he could very well be the number 1 in the next couple of years)
    Johnny Unitas
    Tom Brady
    Joe Namath
    Bart Starr
    Troy Aikman
    Terry Bradshaw
    Dan Marino

Plenty of people are mad at my not including Steve Young and Bret Favre, at this I argue Super Bowls and the fact that Steve Young inherited a team. Anyway, this isn't about that.

Why is Elway number 1? A few of my reasons:

- For the first three Super Bowls he was the main reason they even got there.
    - Not a great supporting cast, as far as Wide Receivers go. Only 5 Receivers during his time even had 1,000 seasons.
    - The Denver Bronco system was not always as successful at making 1,000 yard Running Backs as it is now.

It goes on, but I'm more interested in what you guys have.

All my Best,
    Ian
    I am Ian from BroncoTalk.net
    Official Member of Team:
    Champ Bailey and Lance Ball.

The greatness of Elway goes beyond stats, he was a great leader, the king of comebacks, a very exciting player you never knew what was going to happen with him. Elway played in a tough era, usually without a pro-bowl supporting cast.

And he didn't do boring little 10 yard passes, he didn't dink and dunk down the field. There's hundreds of reasons Elway is the best player to ever play the game and I'm not going to go over them, everyone here knows them all.

Comment

Here's my logic - it's quick and simple:

Elway the 49er - SF still dominates the 80s...

Montana the Bronco - He spends the rest of his life eating his meals through a straw.

My adopted Bronco is Chris Kuper. Huzzah!

I am the raid leader for this World of Warcraft guild. Yay us!

Comment

Originally posted by PatrickdaDookie View Post
        Here's my logic - it's quick and simple:

Elway the 49er - SF still dominates the 80s...

Montana the Bronco - He spends the rest of his life eating his meals through a straw.
        If Elway was a 49er, he would own every passing record there is + 5 or 6 SB rings. The Broncos went to 3 SB in the 80's, and only have 1 HOFer. Nuff said!!
        Adopted Athlete: Leone Battista Alberti

Claim to Fame: I met the Man who met Andy Griffith

Comment

You have Namath but no Favre or Young?

That is silly. Namath sucked IMO. Favre is far better.

Comment

I don't think people can say Young inherited a team. You can't be that good for that many years simply because you 'inherited' a team. If that were the case, Griese would be a HoFer.

But everyone is welcome to their opinions. I personally don't know if I would put Brady up that high yet. I know he has 3 rings, I think the guy is a great QB, but I want to see what he does over TIME. There have been many teams that have won 3 or four Super Bowls, but did them within a short time span. Brady was good with a good team with him, and NONE of his teams were dominating..by ANY mean. THey never won a Super Bowl by more than 3 points. A lot of defense to help him.

I don't have anything against Tom Brady at all. But I wouldn't put him that high YET. *shrugs*...

Comment

As others are saying, in round about ways, there hasnt been another QB that has done as much with so little.

I think its quite evident by looking at the hall of fame. John had no quality players.(sarcasim people)

Anyway, it can be kicked anyway you want it to be, each guy conversed has done great things, some have just done more than others.

Comment

Originally posted by Artamentous View Post
                You have Namath but no Favre or Young?

That is silly. Namath sucked IMO. Favre is far better.
                I agree, Namath's claim to fame is more his charm than his actual play. He may be more top 20 than top 20. Young, however was a technically and fundamentally perfect QB. Always had great stats, great leader and did what very few young QB's did, He learned. And when he got his shot he kept the machine rolling. Farve, I hate his play currently, but he is like Doc Holiday of football. Gunslinger till the end.

And isn't it correct to say Brady inherited his team? Those Pats were built around Bledsoe
                #swapping

Comment

tom brady definitely shouldnt be on the list yet

Comment

He may be more top 20 than top 20.
                    Wow, how'd he pull that one off? =p

My adopted Bronco is Chris Kuper. Huzzah!

I am the raid leader for this World of Warcraft guild. Yay us!

Comment

So you wanna talk up Elway cause he didn't play with anybody but then you put Dan Marino behind Bradshaw and Namath???

Namath 173 TD's 220 Int's in 12 out of 13 seasons he threw for more ints than td's!!!!

Bradshaw 212 TD's 210 int's oh and he played on maybe the greatest assembled team of all time.

Marino 420 TD's 252 int's and owns how many records????

so don't play that card for one guy then not give another guy in the same situation his due!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian View Post
                        This thread stems from a recent conversation, where a blog that I run. I posted my top 10 QB's of all time. Elway was number 1, which as you probably know from personal experience, not everyone agrees. Here is my list:

John Elway
                        Joe Montana
                        Peyton Manning (though he could very well be the number 1 in the next couple of years)
                        Johnny Unitas
                        Tom Brady
                        Joe Namath
                        Bart Starr
                        Troy Aikman
                        Terry Bradshaw
                        Dan Marino

Plenty of people are mad at my not including Steve Young and Bret Favre, at this I argue Super Bowls and the fact that Steve Young inherited a team. Anyway, this isn't about that.

Why is Elway number 1? A few of my reasons:

- For the first three Super Bowls he was the main reason they even got there.
                        - Not a great supporting cast, as far as Wide Receivers go. Only 5 Receivers during his time even had 1,000 seasons.
                        - The Denver Bronco system was not always as successful at making 1,000 yard Running Backs as it is now.

It goes on, but I'm more interested in what you guys have.

All my Best,
                        Ian
                        You have fallen victim to putting too much emphasis on winning championships. At no point has Tom Brady been better than Dan Marino. Joe Montana is also not a #2. The main job of a QB is to pass the football. The NFL has not seen a better passer than Dan Marino. Another thing, Manning and Brady have been benefitting from a dearth of elite QBs. When Elway and Marino played, you also had Jim Kelly, Warren Moon, Steve Young, Brett Favre (in his prime), Troy Aikman, etc. If you put Manning and Brady in that NFL, its a lot harder to seperate yourself as they have in the last 3 or so years. Bart Starr is not a top 10 all time QB.

Comment

Originally posted by flosstein View Post
                          I agree, Namath's claim to fame is more his charm than his actual play. He may be more top 20 than top 20. Young, however was a technically and fundamentally perfect QB. Always had great stats, great leader and did what very few young QB's did, He learned. And when he got his shot he kept the machine rolling. Farve, I hate his play currently, but he is like Doc Holiday of football. Gunslinger till the end.

And isn't it correct to say Brady inherited his team? Those Pats were built around Bledsoe
                          Originally posted by martz11 View Post
                          So you wanna talk up Elway cause he didn't play with anybody but then you put Dan Marino behind Bradshaw and Namath???

Namath 173 TD's 220 Int's in 12 out of 13 seasons he threw for more ints than td's!!!!

Bradshaw 212 TD's 210 int's oh and he played on maybe the greatest assembled team of all time.

Marino 420 TD's 252 int's and owns how many records????

so don't play that card for one guy then not give another guy in the same situation his due!!!
                          The problem with evaluating Namath is the West Coast offense and the QB rating which is completely biased toward WCO QBs. We are so used to seeing teams run the WCO to the extent that teams even seem to play for a high QB rating, when in reality the QB rating is an extremely arbitrary assignment of value that favors not throwing the ball down the field. Elway, Marino, and Namath all had great arms and all threw the ball down the field because they had big arms. If your QB has a big arm, in the past coaches would be more willing to go for high risk/high reward...and so play calling reflected that. Joe Montana probably didnt have the arm to throw downfield as consistently as the other guys Ive mentioned...so this QB rating not only is an arbitrary assignment of value that favors not throwing the ball down the field, but it doesnt elaborate that a QB might have a high rating because he has a too weak of an arm to take chances. Too many people are too conditioned by the QB rating and the WCO to fairly evaluate Namath.

Comment

God, this is old....

Joe Montana is the greatest, period.

Four SB titles, three SB MVP's, never threw a pick in the SB.....what do you want??????? I know this is a Bronco board, but come on! Montana's QB rating is what? 10 pts higher than Elway's...

To me, John Elway was like Nolan Ryan. Best tools, best arm, but not the best accuracy or decsion making, which were all Montana, just like Greg Maddux will be considered a superior pitcher to Nolan Ryan, even though when Ryan was on, no one had his raw power or ability....but greatness is about more than that.

It's not about the physical tools, it's all about the touch, accuracy and delivering in the clutch, of which, Montana has no peer.

Comment

Originally posted by lex View Post
                              You have fallen victim to putting too much emphasis on winning championships. At no point has Tom Brady been better than Dan Marino. Joe Montana is also not a #2. The main job of a QB is to pass the football. The NFL has not seen a better passer than Dan Marino. Another thing, Manning and Brady have been benefitting from a dearth of elite QBs. When Elway and Marino played, you also had Jim Kelly, Warren Moon, Steve Young, Brett Favre (in his prime), Troy Aikman, etc. If you put Manning and Brady in that NFL, its a lot harder to seperate yourself as they have in the last 3 or so years. Bart Starr is not a top 10 all time QB.
                              BS. Brady could not hold Marino's jock.

Marino's Dolphins were like the 80's Chargers, just remarkably flawed as a team, great Offensively, but they could not run the ball and their Defense was pathetic....just like Elway had bad years in 1990 and 1994 when he had bad players around him, and the Broncos record reflected it.

When Marino was on in his youth, he was easily in the Top 3 ever, a list that will NEVER include Brady, who is not even considered the best in the NFL right now.

Brady's critical pick cost the Patriots from beating the Broncos in the '06 Playoffs, and he threw another against the Chargers last season that would have cost the Patriots again had Drayton Florence simply hit the ground and not danced around until a Patriot WR knocked the ball loose. Brady also got credit for a SB MVP he did not deserve in the first win against the Rams; that should have gone to Ty Law and the Patriots 'D'.

Tom Brady is roughly the eqivalent of Troy Aikman, nothing more, nothing less.

Comment

Working...
                              X