Why Is Ferguson Starting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Is Ferguson Starting?

Ferguson is a one dimensional "good against the run" defender, nothing more. He is continuously beat in the passing game. It always looks like he is around the ball, but the receiver always comes up with the catch. He doesn't look like anything above average IMO. Why not put Hamza Abdullah in his place? He has earned the respect from his teammates, especially John Lynch. He is always around the ball and knows where the play is headed. He makes plays, something Ferguson doesn't do. He does a very good job of breaking up pass attempts and comes up to help on the run with some nice stops. Hamza is a guy that does everything well, and maybe after some playing time could be great. I just don't understand why we have a guy who is only decent at one aspect of the game (vs. the run) when we could have a young guy who is full of potential that can do more. Abdullah may not shine right off the get-go but no one ever does until they are given a chance to play and get reps.

Originally posted by mxbronco13 View Post
    Ferguson is a one dimensional "good against the run" defender, nothing more. He is continuously beat in the passing game. It always looks like he is around the ball, but the receiver always comes up with the catch. He doesn't look like anything above average IMO. Why not put Hamza Abdullah in his place? He has earned the respect from his teammates, especially John Lynch. He is always around the ball and knows where the play is headed. He makes plays, something Ferguson doesn't do. He does a very good job of breaking up pass attempts and comes up to help on the run with some nice stops. Hamza is a guy that does everything well, and maybe after some playing time could be great. I just don't understand why we have a guy who is only decent at one aspect of the game (vs. the run) when we could have a young guy who is full of potential that can do more. Abdullah may not shine right off the get-go but no one ever does until they are given a chance to play and get reps.
    Taken from the stats of KC Joyner, Fergy was actually a good safety. Nothing flashy, but he gets the job done, gives good deep support, and deserves to start.

He does have hands of stone though.

Comment

Actually Lynch and Ferguson were tops in the league in pass coverage metrics. Ferguson was not one dimensional and was having a very good season up until he injury.

I love it when people without a clue make assumptions just by watching the game when they really don't know what is going on.

Comment

I was very surprised to see that, because I didn't think Ferguson was anything more than journeyman material.

Comment

You both raise a valid point but you can't just go off stats. If you watched the entire season last year (while he was healthy) and the year before Ferguson was beat continuously yet the WR was overthrown. Don't you guys remember seeing this? It happened about once every game.

Comment

Ferguson has played better the last couple years. Hopefully the injury will not slow him up any. Did you know he was third in the league at his position in turnovers 2 years ago? He appears to get bea:2cents::2cents::2cents::2cents::2cents:t more often than he does, because his is always around the ball. Three years ago, I was sure he was the weakest link in the secondary. I paid close attention the last few years, and he is a solid player in our secondary.

Comment

i completely agree

while i do think his run stuffing ability makes up for his lack of coverage skills, it is only to an extent. I keep reading where Shanny feels like we are fine at safety and have a lot of depth at the postion. we do have depth, but the talent level of that depth has yet to be seen to me. I feel like this is something that we will have to address in the draft next year. maybe not first round but definitely first day. Ferguson is not the permanent answer and lynch isn't getting any younger. Probowler or not, lynch is actually worse in coverage than Ferguson. We need help for the future.
              09-17-08: OFFICIALLY BACKING JARVIS MOSS TO TURN INTO ONE HELL OF A DEFENSIVE END WITHIN THE NEXT TWO YEARS.-we are all allowed one mistake, right?

Loved McD 's first full FA. Can't wait to see the draft.

2010 Draft WISHlist:

Any center since we don't have one.

Comment

I remember last year early in the season when Denver's D was on a record setting pace for points scored, Ferguson was a huge part that success. When he got hurt the defense got considerably worse. He deserves to start because he is solid against the run and can hold his own against the pass, and besides all that, who is on the roster that would do any better of a job? Everyone else is young and inexperienced

Comment

You both raise a valid point but you can't just go off stats. If you watched the entire season last year (while he was healthy) and the year before Ferguson was beat continuously yet the WR was overthrown. Don't you guys remember seeing this? It happened about once every game.
                  If that was the case, it would register in the metrics.

Comment

I think we should just work Abdullah into the starting lineup slowly, Ferguson is still good and he's a great leader out there.

Comment

We have much bigger concerns on D than Ferguson...

Comment

Originally posted by CarolinaPanther View Post
                        Actually Lynch and Ferguson were tops in the league in pass coverage metrics. Ferguson was not one dimensional and was having a very good season up until he injury.

I love it when people without a clue make assumptions just by watching the game when they really don't know what is going on.
                        Hahahaha....exactly, especially when Abdullah is no lock to make the team...Cox is actually the third Safety (and Ferguson's primary backup), and it is not impossible that Steve Cargile could make the team and Abdullah could get cut.

Comment

Originally posted by CinnaMunMun View Post
                          Taken from the stats of KC Joyner, Fergy was actually a good safety. Nothing flashy, but he gets the job done, gives good deep support, and deserves to start.

He does have hands of stone though.
                          Two years ago he had five interceptions.
                          John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

Originally posted by CarolinaPanther View Post

One thing is clear though and that is Hamza is a play maker as well and has a better nose for the ball.

Comment

You really can't say this at all unless you were at the games or watching replay rootage of a play from start to finish. Safeties aren't always deep, especially a good runstopping safety with Bailey covering that side. Just because there's a long pass completion doesn't mean the safety got "beat".
                              Besides, a lot of the time a strong side safety will be covering the tight end, so him getting beat by a WR would be a rarity.

90% of the time you can't even see the safeties on the screen. By the time you see him getting "beat" he was probably playing good coverage on his man when he realized one of our CBs was getting beat, so whenever you actually do get to see him hes running for a receiver that's already wide open.

Most of the time if there's a long pass at least one of the safeties will be near him when he catches it, just because of his position in the defense. It doesn't mean he got beat in coverage.

Comment

Working...
                              X