No announcement yet.

Broncos officially sign Rice (Merged)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From what I understand he criticized Tillman's play ability BEFORE he passed away, and just said when he played in Arizona that he wasn't the greatest or something. After he died however, Rice made some really nice comments that he was a patriot and being a good football player doesnt really matter etc. Ill see if i can find it, but from what I read in the past everyone blew that whole situation out of proportion.
    sigpic

Comment

• Here we are:

http://www.sptimes.com/2004/04/24/Sp..._I_mourn.shtml
      sigpic

Comment

• I don't see anything wrong w/ Rice's comments before or after Tillman's death...its not like we are in Communist Russia of 1984 and you can't criticize people...he criticized his PLAY before his death, and he appreciated his patriotic SACRIFICE after his death.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nbot View Post
          I don't see anything wrong w/ Rice's comments before or after Tillman's death...its not like we are in Communist Russia of 1984 and you can't criticize people...he criticized his PLAY before his death, and he appreciated his patriotic SACRIFICE after his death.
          Well, I wouldn't like it if he was making critical comments AFTER the fact. Yes, it's a free country but there's still a thing called tact.

But since any comments he made were apparently BEFORE Tillman's death, this is a non-issue.

There were fans critical of Darrent Williams' play before his death and I would hope nobody holds that against them now. There is no reason not to speak one's mind when the subject is alive and well.
          "You can't take the sky from me..."
          ------
          "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

• Originally posted by fraguela09 View Post
            The biggest impact of an acquisition of this magnitude Is in late-game, key situations... Down-2-Down he might not be what he once was... BUT... 4th quarter, bi 3rd down... Elvis on one end and rice on the other. DID I HEAR BIG PLAY ANYONE?

With Moss, Crowder, Engel-hamburglar and Elvis... We can rotate Rice preserve his energy... especially right off the bat. I can see him coming in the game in a big spot, in second half and make an immediate impact!

That's the key thing...

Phillip cry me a River better watch his back now!
            Engel-hamburglar; That's good. We'll definately have the depth this year at D-end. Seems Shannahan goes overboard one way or another every year with players. Next year will be safety or some other position.
            Haze gray and underway!

Comment

• Originally posted by MICHAEL THESING View Post
              Rice Is Available For 2 Reasons. His Nfl Career Is Over And He Cost Way To Much. Bad Deal In My Eyes. Why Can't We Buy A Good Receiver?
              Good receiver?? Where have you been. I think we're pretty set at receiver as long as as they all stay healthy. But again, time will tell.
              Haze gray and underway!

Comment

• Originally posted by mid_evil_thymz View Post
                You know I read ALL the posts here and decided (even though it has been covered) to drop in my two cents anyway.

SImeon Rice.. Bout time we did something to help the Bronco's D-line. I for one am tired of being at the bottom of the league in pass rush stats. It doesn't even have to be sacks for me but some form of pressure is so needed for this team. I have been screaming at the TV for 4 years now. With all the time we allow opposing QB's to drop back I am really surprised that Champ gets as many INT's as he does. Can you imagine what it would be like if they were hurried into making bad passes? He ( Champ ) rips that many balls off with superior talent, alone. any mistakes we can force on the QB's this year will be doubly disastrous for oppsing teams because of Dre Bly. SOmething had to be done to make this team better at making opp. teams QB's sweat a little. Let's hear it for Lynch the "salesman" for helping to bring Rice into the fold. Damn isn't it Sunday YET???
                Sunday can't get here fast enough!!! Our Defence get's better as time goes by.
                Haze gray and underway!

Comment

• Originally posted by Nbot View Post
                  I don't see anything wrong w/ Rice's comments before or after Tillman's death...its not like we are in Communist Russia of 1984 and you can't criticize people...he criticized his PLAY before his death, and he appreciated his patriotic SACRIFICE after his death.

Actually, I was incorrect...it was not after Pat died, it was after he turned down an NFL contract to join the army when Rice was interviewed. I live in AZ and saw an interview with Rice and they asked him something about what he thought of what Pat did (Leaving for the military) and he said something like "Well, he wasn't really that great of a football player". It struck me as very classless and hinted at a bit of Jealousy over Pat getting the headlines.

From that moment on, I have not rooted for him and do not like him.

Your right, its not communist Russia, but that also means I am allowed to have my opinion and that opinion is that I don't like Simeon Rice and never will.

Comment

• And I also find it funny that Rice said Tillman was not good enough to start in the NFL, because I think he lead the Cardinals in tackles in one of the years leading up to his leaving for the Army.

Comment

• Water under the bridge

Pat is in heaven looking down upon us and he has forgiven Simeon!!!! If Pat can forgive Simeon for some lame comments that he made, so can all of us
                      I owe CP's to: no one

Comment

• Originally posted by svpearson View Post
                        Actually, I was incorrect...it was not after Pat died, it was after he turned down an NFL contract to join the army when Rice was interviewed. I live in AZ and saw an interview with Rice and they asked him something about what he thought of what Pat did (Leaving for the military) and he said something like "Well, he wasn't really that great of a football player". It struck me as very classless and hinted at a bit of Jealousy over Pat getting the headlines.

From that moment on, I have not rooted for him and do not like him.

Your right, its not communist Russia, but that also means I am allowed to have my opinion and that opinion is that I don't like Simeon Rice and never will.
                        I think thats a fine stance for you to take. At the time he said that he probably shouldn't have so I agree with you. However I also take in what he said after Pat died, and that shows that he does respect Pat, and realizes he probably made a mistake in making those comments.

Heres to a good Bronco season whether we like Rice or not!
                        Last edited by Botan; 09-05-2007, 08:04 PM.
                        sigpic

Comment

• I think people are making way too much of this signing. Simeon Rice is nearing the end of his career and his signing merely means that Shanahan isn't sure that Moss is ready to do the job yet. So he gets pushed back in the rotation. It's not that signing Rice is a bad thing, it's just not going to solve the real question on the Broncos defense.

Rice isn't great against the run and the real question on the D-line is whether the DTs can hold up and stop the run.

Posters who said that Denver has 4 1/2 tackles right now are right!

What concerns me most is Antwon Burton playing at least 1/2 the snaps as Adams' backup. Burton is the definition of marginal player who hangs around the league for a while. You probably cut him off your roster if you have good DTs, and in any event he should be no higher than #3 on the rotation.

Unfortunately, he's #2 and with Adams only able to play about 1/2 the game at most, he's actually the co-starter! That's not good people! Did you NOT see the pre-season with #93 getting pushed around like a Raggedy-Andy doll?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X