Schefter: Rice will not start sunday but will play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schefter: Rice will not start sunday but will play

Adam Schefter just reported that Elvis Dumervil and John Engelberger will start Sunday with Simeon Rice being a backup and playing on 3rd downs.

I guess that makes sense because he is new to our defense - but how hard is it to learn to rush the QB. Rice is a pro bowler!

----------------------------------------------
    I work at Vanderbilt University

Where Jay Graduated!

I tell you I love Elway! He was my hero growing up. I loved the way he threw the ball with velocity! I love that in a QB. This is why I am a Cutlerfan!!

Comment

i too expect this. however i wouldn't be at all surprised to see rice and elvis taking most of the starting snaps once we have a lead going into the second half, or a big enough lead early on. with moss rotating somewhere along the way when one gets tired.

and we'll be getting alot of leads this season i think. at even the slightest hint the other team won't be running as much as they were before, rice will go right in and terrorize opposing qbs.
      Orange Crush Fantasy League sign ups. All the cool kids are doing it.

Rivers has probably now the fastest release in the NFL that Favre is retired. - riversOWNSdonks
      Rivers has the potential to be better than Brady or any QB ever - riversOWNSdonks

Comment

Originally posted by cutlerfan View Post
        I guess that makes sense because he is new to our defense - but how hard is it to learn to rush the QB. Rice is a pro bowler!
        I think its more less the point that he hasnt played in a while and needs to get into football shape.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam24 View Post
          I think its more less the point that he hasnt played in a while and needs to get into football shape.
          I wonder how effective he'll be. It probably will be a couple of games before his presence is felt.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam24 View Post
            I would have to think that he has stayed in shape and worked out privately this whole time... I dont think he was sitting on his ottoman going over his fantasy draft...

We play away this first week so adjusting to altitude shouldnt be an issue at all. He will be in pads tomorrow and i expect him to get some decent playing in against buffalo.

Here is to the decapitation of JP Lossman!!!

Comment

as they say though, there's "in shape" and then there's "football shape"...I doubt he's the latter w/o going thru spring training...

Comment

Originally posted by Nbot View Post
                as they say though, there's "in shape" and then there's "football shape"...I doubt he's the latter w/o going thru spring training...
                Very true. Since he will be on 3rd downs, I hope he is able to help the team stop opponent and force them to punt because that is something we need to work on.
                R.I.P
                #27 Darrent Williams
                #29 Damian Nash

Thanks MasterShake for the sig

Comment

Very true. Since he will be on 3rd downs, I hope he is able to help the team stop opponent and force them to punt because that is something we need to work on.
                  Yes you'd think we could get a good dozen plays out of him at least

Comment

Originally posted by cutlerfan View Post
                    I guess that makes sense because he is new to our defense - but how hard is it to learn to rush the QB.
                    Well, it's only been like 5 years since we had a pass rush... Must be at least somewhat hard. This Rice kid just might be able to pick it up rather quickly, though.

Comment

Funny how on the Broncos website, it shows that Rice is already the starter at right end.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaPirateFunk View Post
                        i too expect this. however i wouldn't be at all surprised to see rice and elvis taking most of the starting snaps once we have a lead going into the second half, or a big enough lead early on. with moss rotating somewhere along the way when one gets tired.

and we'll be getting alot of leads this season i think. at even the slightest hint the other team won't be running as much as they were before, rice will go right in and terrorize opposing qbs.
                        Whoa, there, Thunder; let's count our chickadees as they hatch, if not afterwards. I feel pretty pysched about our offense, but have real reservations about our D, particularly with Ekuban (our best run stopping end) gone for the season, a middle that's gone from patchwork to solid back to patchwork in the space of five short months. Not to mention I'd feel a lot better about our all important MLB if I could combine Nate Websters experience with D. J. Williams' talent, but the fact is I can't, and they're the only MLBs we have.

So I hope you're right, but we'll have to do more than just score points (especially against the C/Bolts). The first hint the other team won't be running as much will be when we stuff their run--or never. With Warren, Kennedy and Ekuban gone Engleberger and an injured Crowder are about all the run D we've got on the line. I'm cautiously optimistic, but I'm not quite prepared to let my mouth write checks my defensive tackles (that's Adams and Burton when Adams isn't sucking air, right...?) might not be able to cash.
                        SIGN RANDALL GODFREY FOR SLB AND BACKUP MLB NOW!!!

Comment

i'm not too worried about stopping the run. we've always been a great run stopping d, and all we had was al back then. we never gave him the luxury of good d-tackles. which says something about his talent, but still. we never much had the personnel to look like a run stopping D on paper but we got the job done. in one of the most talented rushing divisions in the nfl. now with sam adams and whoever we rotate in beside him, i'm pretty sure we'll be fine. i don't see it as a big deal. i've not seen many a defense in my time with our talent who consistently struggles stopping the run. we'll pick it up eventually. we're too talented not to.
                          Orange Crush Fantasy League sign ups. All the cool kids are doing it.

Rivers has probably now the fastest release in the NFL that Favre is retired. - riversOWNSdonks
                          Rivers has the potential to be better than Brady or any QB ever - riversOWNSdonks

Comment

I am not SOLD on this defense that Bates brings to the table. I count wait for the opener and a chance to see this new system in action. I really hope my fears are wrong...
                            If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking. --General George S. Patton

Comment

Here is to the decapitation of JP Lossman!!!
                              I guess Gerard Warren left an impression on the Broncos, after all.

My adopted Bronco is Chris Kuper. Huzzah!

I am the raid leader for this World of Warcraft guild. Yay us!

Comment

Working...
                              X