Mike Bell:Staying Put

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike Bell:Staying Put

A little something for everyone out there trying to trade off a great running back...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_yl...e&type=fantasy

Mike Bell: Will Likely Stick Around With Broncos

RotoWire.com Staff - RotoWire.com
    Monday, September 3, 2007
    Update: Despite rumors surrounding a possible trade and several teams reportedly calling to inquire about Bell's availability, it is unlikely the Broncos will deal the second-year running back, the Denver Post reports.

Recommendation: The Broncos would like to have Bell rotate with Cecil Sapp at fullback with the No. 1 offense and have him as insurance at tailback, where neither Selvin Young, the No. 2 back, or Andre Hall, the No. 3 back, have ever had an NFL carry. Bell carried the ball 157 times for 677 yards (4.3 YPC) last year to go with eight touchdowns

I love Mike Bell's work ethic and hard running. I believe he is one of the few backs that can come out of this system and be succesful with other teams. He was our most counted-on running back last year- performing in clutch situations. I never saw the logic of releasing him, and I'm glad those rumors have subsided.

Comment

Originally posted by BSmitty7 View Post
      I love Mike Bell's work ethic and hard running. I believe he is one of the few backs that can come out of this system and be succesful with other teams. He was our most counted-on running back last year- performing in clutch situations. I never saw the logic of releasing him, and I'm glad those rumors have subsided.
      But at the same time, he's been moved completely out of the RB rotation...even falling behind Hall as the #3. I personally wouldn't give that as resounding shout of confidence about his running skills.

Comment

at the same time, hall AND young have looked good. that's two players, while last year, we had bell who also had never touched the ball.

if we don't trade him, it's not because he's too valuable to us. it's because we mightbe saving him. you have to know that shanny knows his values and will get what he can for them. he might be saving him. shanny moved an average blockin HB who has trade value ot FB? now? doesn't this seem like a sneaky shanahn move? is he so good he fools his own teams fans?

something's up. i'm positive.
        Orange Crush Fantasy League sign ups. All the cool kids are doing it.

Rivers has probably now the fastest release in the NFL that Favre is retired. - riversOWNSdonks
        Rivers has the potential to be better than Brady or any QB ever - riversOWNSdonks

Comment

Originally posted by Bronco_Rob View Post
          A little something for everyone out there trying to trade off a great running back...

Update: Despite rumors surrounding a possible trade and several teams reportedly calling to inquire about Bell's availability, it is unlikely the Broncos will deal the second-year running back, the Denver Post reports.

Recommendation: The Broncos would like to have Bell rotate with Cecil Sapp at fullback with the No. 1 offense and have him as insurance at tailback, where neither Selvin Young, the No. 2 back, or Andre Hall, the No. 3 back, have ever had an NFL carry. Bell carried the ball 157 times for 677 yards (4.3 YPC) last year to go with eight touchdowns
          Put down the Mike Bell Kool-Aid.

Bell is not a great running back and doesn't even have the potential to be a great running back. He's the back up fullback because he got beat out by a more talented undrafted player and a player who was on the practice squad last year, who apparently is also more talented. I'll agree that it makes sense to keep Bell rather than trade him, but the truth is, the team would be just fine if they did trade him.

There was a reason Bell went undrafted and it had nothing to do with injuries. Teams just didn't have faith in his ability to be an NFL RB. Selvin Young can at least say that injuries held him back in college. If he hadn't gotten hurt, he would have been sharing time with Cedric Benson in the Texas backfield. Young can also boast that he helped his team to a national title.

The story is that Bell is unlikely to be traded. That isn't necessarily because the Broncos aren't willing to trade him or don't want to trade him. It could simply mean that they haven't heard an offer that has persuaded them to part ways with Bell. They can use him on the team, but if they get the right offer, he could still be packing his bags for a new team. It sounds, though, that it's possible that they think that they aren't likely to get an offer they're willing to accept.
          My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
          You Mad Bro?
          Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

They also might be holding onto Bell until they see what Young can do in regular season action. Young did good in the preseason, but so have guys like Cedric Cobbs. So if Young pans out, they might trade Bell. If he doesn't, they could always cut/trade/bench Young and put Bell back at RB.

Comment

What have hall and Young proven in the NFL? Nothing yet. I like them both just as much as the next Bronco player but to see Mike Bell not get the credit he deserves is just criminal. If he was the main back last year he'd have gotten more than 1500 yards. I'm not complaining about the fact that he didn't because we used Tatum in a trade for Bly and wouldn't have been able to if Tatum hadn't broke 1,000. I'm just saying let Mike prove what he is (if he hasn't already) Remember that Andre Hall and Selvin Young were running against 3rd string defenses before you praise them too much.

Comment

I would watch how Selvin Young plays in a regular season game before u start smashing on our most clutch back from last season, who didnt fumble every carry like his other "Bell" counterpart. I still think Mike Bell is a better "Running Back" untill I see Selvin Young do something against a first team defense. Geez, Travis comes in (not that he's not a top notch back) and you trash our most DEPENDABLE back from last season......

Originally posted by broncolee View Post
                Put down the Mike Bell Kool-Aid.

Bell is not a great running back and doesn't even have the potential to be a great running back. He's the back up fullback because he got beat out by a more talented undrafted player and a player who was on the practice squad last year, who apparently is also more talented. I'll agree that it makes sense to keep Bell rather than trade him, but the truth is, the team would be just fine if they did trade him.

There was a reason Bell went undrafted and it had nothing to do with injuries. Teams just didn't have faith in his ability to be an NFL RB. Selvin Young can at least say that injuries held him back in college. If he hadn't gotten hurt, he would have been sharing time with Cedric Benson in the Texas backfield. Young can also boast that he helped his team to a national title.

The story is that Bell is unlikely to be traded. That isn't necessarily because the Broncos aren't willing to trade him or don't want to trade him. It could simply mean that they haven't heard an offer that has persuaded them to part ways with Bell. They can use him on the team, but if they get the right offer, he could still be packing his bags for a new team. It sounds, though, that it's possible that they think that they aren't likely to get an offer they're willing to accept.
                sigpic

Comment

Wow. Thats a relief.

In other news, I watered my plants today.

Comment

to see Mike Bell not get the credit he deserves is just criminal. If he was the main back last year he'd have gotten more than 1500 yards.
                    You're joking right? Don't players who top 1500 yards have to be good? Don't they have a bit of breakaway speed? Don't they have to be good enough to win a starting job?

Comment

No, Lewis w/ Baltimore?? Mike Bell is faster then him (as far as break away speed)

Kinda hard to have the starting job when you bring in the likes of a Travis Henry, if we had not picked him up, who are you gonna start YOUNG? Based on his performances against Preseason 2nd and 3rd string D's?

Mike Bell is legit........Come on people, did u watch last season at all???

Tatum fumbled time and time again, and Mike Bell wasnt superb but what do you expect out of a non-drafted rookie..........
                      Last edited by thatkidhunt; 09-05-2007, 12:12 AM.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thatkidhunt View Post
                        No, Lewis w/ Baltimore?? Mike Bell is faster then him (as far as break away speed)

Kinda hard to have the starting job when you bring in the likes of a Travis Henry, if we had not picked him up, who are you gonna start YOUNG? Based on his performances against Preseason 2nd and 3rd string D's?

Mike Bell is legit........Come on people, did u watch last season at all???

Tatum fumbled time and time again, and Mike Bell wasnt superb but what do you expect out of a non-drafted rookie..........
                        Tatum is who I was talking about when I said Mike couldn't win the starting job. And we all know Tatum is nothing special, unless he learns not to fumble or get hurt. Mike apparently is nothing special either since he got barely any PT in camp or preseason and they're trying to trade him.

I don't think Mike Bell is legit. And yes, I watched every game.

His goal-line debacle against SF was painful to watch. It's also painful when he actually does break a run, and get's ran down because of his lack of speed. I also highly doubt he has better speed than Jamal Lewis (who by the way doesn't play for Baltimore). Jamal has a 2,000 yard season, so let's not compare the two.

Comment

I like Mike Bell but by no means is he a great back. He played well for us in my opinion and maybe some day he will be a great back but right now he's far from it.
                          John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

why are you all talking like Mike Bell is the next Walter Payton. This guy was undrafted, Made the team as a third stringer and eventually made his way to second string because of the lack of talent at the running back position last year. Then because Tatum Bell got hurt saw significant playing time but in no means at all is he a GREAT back. This guy has no speed, minimal moves and falls if the wind blows to hard. The reason we got Henry is because shanny doesn't have faith in Mike Bell. Now your supposed great back has been banished to second string fullback, yep he's on his way to the HOF
                            There is a reason, just like every other year, that Shanny changes his backs. Simply put, lack of talent. Since T.D. we have had lack of real NFL starting runningback talent (other then Portis). The thing is, the other backs step up and make plays when needed. The fact that Shanny can mold anyone in the backfield is making all of you think they are better then they really are. I mean if you think Mike Bell is a great back then Ruben Droughens must be the next Denver Bronco inducted to the Hall. No one who rushed for 1000 or more yards since T.D. has rushed for those numbers with their next team. The bottom line is someone will step in and rush for 1000 yards now and until Shanny retires. That doesn't make that guy a great back. Mike Bell is not a great back. Now i will just wait til the next trade rumor comes around with his name on it!!! Because eventually (maybe not til offseason) he will be gone.

Comment

If he was the main back last year he'd have gotten more than 1500 yards.
                              What!?!? Come on. This is getting ridiculous. If Mike Bell was a 1500yrd type rusher, we wouldn't have traded for Travis Henry. If Mike Bell was talented enough to accomplish what we HOPE Travis Henry to get, not ONLY would we not have traded for Henry, but we wouldn't be moving him to FULL BACk, and 4th on the depth chart at RB. 1500yrds????? Where on earth.

Guys. With all-do respect to Mike Bell (because I'm sure he's a nice guy and all)... he's NOT a great talent. He's a 'capable' back, that can pinch-hit in a bind. He's a guy that is good to have on the roster, because he's a decent sub, and can JUMP high on the goal line. Other than that, Mike is saying that he's NOT the kind of guy that he wants to rely on STARTING at RB.

Now... I DO think that he's getting time in at full back so that we can add some offensive power to that position. That was something KJ couldn't give us. So Mike is being moved there, so that we can have Travis and Mike on the field at the same time, and it not be different than any other 2 back set. Yet we have a RB at FB. So I don't think that we don't have some confidence in Bell. I just don't see him EVER being something special.

Comment

Working...
                              X