Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I ask two honest Questions about our Defense?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I ask two honest Questions about our Defense?

I REALLY hope this is true. Do you think Bates was telling the Truth when he said he was sand baging the defense??

Do you think Rice is not 100% and that is why he will not be starting in the game? The Titans checked him out and said he would not be ready till week two?

Just worried about our defense. I am hoping that they will play great Sunday!

Godspeed Denver!

----------------------------------------------
    I work at Vanderbilt University

Where Jay Graduated!

I tell you I love Elway! He was my hero growing up. I loved the way he threw the ball with velocity! I love that in a QB. This is why I am a Cutlerfan!!

They did play a base cover 2 most of the games I watched. There where a few blitzes that I noticed and a couple of times that they went man to man but for the most part it looks like they ran the same play over and over with different people in.

If you watch the preseason games, you will see that everyone just drops a few yards and sits in zone. It surely wasn't anything fansy or complicated.

Now is it different than what he normally does, I have no clue. He could get way more complicated or he could even simplify it more. There will be more blitzes and such, especially on 3rd downs.

To know the real answer we will have to wait till Sunday though.

Comment

bhaley

I read that is the way Bates likes to evaluate his D...put them in a base D and see who can hold their own with no tricks and stunts.

Comment

Traditionally Bates' defenses have had poor preseasons because he likes to evaluate players more than plays.

I think once they begin using the full package and actually game plan for an opponent it will be a whole different sack of potatoes. I am not expecting us to lead the league, but I do think we will perform quite well.

Comment

Jim Bates is a blitz heavy coach. Check the old Miami games. He blitzed on damn near every third down situation. He loves to send linebackers all out on third down. We saw very little bump and run coverage from the corners. I dont think we have seen anything. The D should be alright after an adjustment period. You will be shocked how much pressure we get on the qb come sunday morning. Bates knows what he is doing.
          A Wise Man Once Told Me Dont Argue With Fools Cuz People From a Distance Cant Tell Who is Who

Comment

Yes, I think Bates was telling the truth. Blitzing was almost non-existent until the end of the 4th preseason game. (And, that blitzing was most likely more for the benefit of the lower tiered players so that they could showcase themselves before getting cut than it was for evaluation purposes.) At that point, the coaches probably had a good idea of who was going to make the team.

As for Rice, it's hard to tell. I can't imagine him being "100%" or even in "football shape" considering the circumstances, but with the way we rotate the DL he doesn't have to be. Do the Titans operate their DL the same way? If not, that's probably what they were referring to - that he wouldn't be ready (i.e. ready to be a starting, full-time DE) until Week 2. They might also have been attempting to protect the ego/confidence of their current DE's just in case Rice chose to sign with them.

<shrugs> Willing to give both the benefit of the doubt as long as we can get this thing rolling and start whoopin' butt!
            Winter is Coming!

Comment

Originally posted by gyldenlove View Post
              Traditionally Bates' defenses have had poor preseasons because he likes to evaluate players more than plays.

I think once they begin using the full package and actually game plan for an opponent it will be a whole different sack of potatoes. I am not expecting us to lead the league, but I do think we will perform quite well.
              That's good.That's what preseason is all about. It shouldn't be about winning.(although it is nice)
              Haze gray and underway!

Comment

Originally posted by cutlerfan View Post
                I REALLY hope this is true. Do you think Bates was telling the Truth when he said he was sand baging the defense??

Do you think Rice is not 100% and that is why he will not be starting in the game? The Titans checked him out and said he would not be ready till week two?

Godspeed Denver!
                If you have any history of watching the Broncos, and you are honest with yourself, you know the Defense has major issues.

Bates is sifting through the rubble, and Drafting Moss, Crowder and Thomas was the start to that....getting rid of Warren, Lang and Kennedy was another part. I am a believer in Bates (as is Shanny as evidenced by the Bates influence over the Defensive personnel----rarely has Shanahan let an Assist. Coach do that, if ever), and I believe the D will get better as the season goes along, but I believe we are looking at a very tough first half of the season.

The biggest issue so far is if Amon Gordon has really earned the starting DT spot, and if DJ Williams will ultimately break the broncos coaches hearts at MLB.

Champ and Dre and Co. won't mean a thing if the front seven can't do their job, and in my 30 years of watching the Broncos, I have to say that right now, this front seven is the worst since 1994.

Do you think it will cost them games this season?

As Simeon Rice likes to say..."Do Birds fly?"

The Broncos look like a 9-7 team to me.

Comment

Originally posted by cutlerfan View Post

Godspeed Denver!
                  The question Ive bolded is actually your third question. Your thread title is the first.

Yes, you can ask about the defense.

And I dont know if Bates is telling the truth.

Comment

I have faith in Bates. I have been forced to watch Dolphin games for the past ten years, and I can tell you one thing: When Bates Blitz's, he designs it so that the best 2 players on the front seven have a free run at the QB. I can not even count the number of times I watched Jason Taylor come unblocked, or blocked by a RB only on a third down blitz
                    Adopted Athlete: Leone Battista Alberti

Claim to Fame: I met the Man who met Andy Griffith

Comment

Perhaps your right Mindfield. But I think the coaches have been playing poker, and they aren't about to show their hand. I don't agree that this is the worst D-Line since 1994. We have some very solid talent up there, and I think we are going to surprise a lot of teams this year. Bates knows his stuff. I love the moves he has made to make a stronger defense. I thought the personel that we picked up in the draft were perfect for our needs, and the moves to try and make this teams D into something that can actually compete with are solid.

I won't go 9-7. I think we are going to be higher. We have the talent to play against anyone. The things is is how much time will it take before the timing and chemistry are there.

Comment

To me it seemed rather obvious that he wasn't putting much into the play calling. I mean we never blitzed, and we never bumped receivers. We just sat back in an eerie imitation of Coyer's soft cover 2, and let the opposition do whatever. Honestly, I don't believe we can come to any conclusions regarding this defense since we really haven't seen what it's all about so far. We could be bad, average, good, or even great, but we're going to have to wait to see which one it is.
                        Only fools bet against Tim Tebow.

Team Tebow #108

Yards, without points, mean nothing.

Comment

Thanks to all who answered!!

----------------------------------------------
                          I work at Vanderbilt University

Where Jay Graduated!

I tell you I love Elway! He was my hero growing up. I loved the way he threw the ball with velocity! I love that in a QB. This is why I am a Cutlerfan!!

Comment

Originally posted by MindField View Post
                            If you have any history of watching the Broncos, and you are honest with yourself, you know the Defense has major issues.

Bates is sifting through the rubble, and Drafting Moss, Crowder and Thomas was the start to that....getting rid of Warren, Lang and Kennedy was another part. I am a believer in Bates (as is Shanny as evidenced by the Bates influence over the Defensive personnel----rarely has Shanahan let an Assist. Coach do that, if ever), and I believe the D will get better as the season goes along, but I believe we are looking at a very tough first half of the season.

The biggest issue so far is if Amon Gordon has really earned the starting DT spot, and if DJ Williams will ultimately break the broncos coaches hearts at MLB.

Champ and Dre and Co. won't mean a thing if the front seven can't do their job, and in my 30 years of watching the Broncos, I have to say that right now, this front seven is the worst since 1994.

Do you think it will cost them games this season?

As Simeon Rice likes to say..."Do Birds fly?"

The Broncos look like a 9-7 team to me.
                            I can agree with a lot of this. The defense does have issues, and I too, predict a 9-7/10-6 season.

However, I actually think our D-Line is better than it has been in the past 2 years. There is a ton of talent there, but they're very green, whereas in the previous two seasons, there's no denying that our D-Line consisted of busts and has-beens (with the exception of Trevor Pryce, although his production ad regressed in progressing seasons since his back injury until he went to Baltimore). I think we're better off with the personnel we have now than we've had since our recent Super Bowl years.
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X