X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broncos' Tebow thrilled by Elway's pledge of support

http://www.denverpost.com/sport/ci_1...questid=178588

By Mike Klis

A day after receiving a strong endorsement from the Broncos' top boss, Tim Tebow was sitting in the team's cafeteria this morning, sipping on a water bottle, reflecting on the 2011 season that just passed.

Thanks in large part to Tebow's play at quarterback, the Broncos unexpectedly won the AFC West, unexpectedly beat the Pittsburgh Steelers in the first-round of the playoffs, then got clobbered in the second round Saturday night by the New England Patriots.

Two days later, John Elway began his second year as the Broncos' head of football operations by declaring Tebow as the team's starting quarterback going into training camp.

No one will beat out Tebow when conditioning begins April 16 — which is a monthafter free agency, by the way — or the organized team activities (OTAs) that will begin in late-May — or about a month after the draft.

"Nice," Tebow said of Elway's pledge of support. "It's a great honor to be a quarterback for the Denver Broncos. I take that very seriously. I'm very excited about this offseason and I can't wait to get to work and get better."

The Broncos have urged Tebow to give his body some rest. He's trying, but it's not easy.

"I was going crazy yesterday," he said with a smile.

He said thanks, but no thanks to a request by CBS Sports to join their NFL Today studio show during their conference championship coverage Sunday.

"I'm not doing it," Tebow said.

The Broncos were so bad in 2010, they picked No. 2 overall in the draft. They began 1-4 this season before Tebow finally got his chance to become the team's No. 1 quarterback. He led his team seven wins in his first eight starts, a run that lifted the Broncos to their improbable division title.

Given his late-game heroics this season, did Tebow wish Elway had taken one more leap of faith by promising him the starting job for Game 1 of the 2012 season? "I don't care," Tebow said. "You have to go out there and compete, anyways."

Originally posted by OrangeandBlue88 View Post
    Given his late-game heroics this season, did Tebow wish Elway had taken one more leap of faith by promising him the starting job for Game 1 of the 2012 season? "I don't care," Tebow said. "You have to go out there and compete, anyways."
    Exactly.

Tebow took that a lot better than most of Tebow's fans. :thumb:

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy8 View Post
      Exactly.

Tebow took that a lot better than most of Tebow's fans. :thumb:
      Agreed 100% he has his shot, now he can gear up and begin working within a set offense. It's his time to step up and solidify himself as a franchise QB, I believe he will do just that. GO BRONCOS!!!!!
      sigpic

Comment

Sounds like Tebow does not want to take it easy and wants to start working right away or very soon at the least.

Coaches, Elway, lets go! Call him and he's there. Meet anywhere. Whatever it takes.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckin' Bronco View Post
          Agreed 100% he has his shot, now he can gear up and begin working within a set offense. It's his time to step up and solidify himself as a franchise QB, I believe he will do just that. GO BRONCOS!!!!!
          A lot of people question whether the Broncos could ever win the Super Bowl with Tebow at QB. With the right supporting cast, I'm actually afraid of the Broncos winning it every year.
          #1 team - Atlanta Falcons - #2 team - Denver Broncos

Hottest tennis player in the world: http://bit.ly/yYdvq3

Comment

People need to quit throwing around the term "franchise quarterback". Only a couple of guys rise to that level and not till they've battled in the league for many years.

Tebow is a greenhorn. You can begin to make your judgement in year three or four. He's already shown he has the necessary "grit" to succeed. Becoming an accomplished passer in a highly functioning system takes all the right moving parts which are definately not in place at this time.

Comment

Tebow's never been afraid of competition. Steel sharpens steel.

Comment

There are three things Tim Tebow has a passion for, always have and always will.
                1. His Lord
                2. Those in need
                3. Football

When he was a Nease, he was home schooled but showed his loyalty to Nease High School, where he was allowed to play, enough to win a state championship with a broken foot. When he was with Florida, he committed himself as a Gator. After a disappointing loss to Old Miss in 2008 he vowed that no team play harder than the Gators. They went on to win the SEC and the National Title that year. Now Tebow is a committed Bronco and will do what ever is necessary to help them win. He took a 1-4 team to finish 8-8 and to their first playoff win in 5 years.

Comment

Originally posted by broncofan1982 View Post
                  Sounds like Tebow does not want to take it easy and wants to start working right away or very soon at the least.

Coaches, Elway, lets go! Call him and he's there. Meet anywhere. Whatever it takes.
                  You realize that the collective bargaining agreement forbids this right? I heard elway say he will work with him when he is allowed to.
                  Family, country, rugby, football

I posted in the epic Peyton's NeckBones thread and all I got was this lousy T-Shirt!

Comment

Originally posted by Oilersfan34 View Post
                    You realize that the collective bargaining agreement forbids this right? I heard elway say he will work with him when he is allowed to.
                    Thats what I was wondering...when can Elway work with Tebow?
                    Canadian Denver Bronco Fan #7

Adopted Broncos:
                    -:Mr. Decker:-

Comment

Originally posted by Louich View Post
                      Thats what I was wondering...when can Elway work with Tebow?
                      The CBA limits the days of practices compared to years past, but as I understand it there is nothing wrong with Elway studying film or conversing with him about specific plays or footwork. There aren't nearly as many restrictions as there were during the lockout. I wouldn't be surprised if Tim and Elway on working together and throwing passes by February or March and definitely by April and May.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by roperdoug View Post
                        There are three things Tim Tebow has a passion for, always have and always will.
                        1. His Lord
                        2. Those in need
                        3. Football

When he was a Nease, he was home schooled but showed his loyalty to Nease High School, where he was allowed to play, enough to win a state championship with a broken foot. When he was with Florida, he committed himself as a Gator. After a disappointing loss to Old Miss in 2008 he vowed that no team play harder than the Gators. They went on to win the SEC and the National Title that year. Now Tebow is a committed Bronco and will do what ever is necessary to help them win. He took a 1-4 team to finish 8-8 and to their first playoff win in 5 years.
                        Yea....he showed so much loyalty he switched high schools so he could be a QB instead of defense. Is that the loyalty you speak of?
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Oilersfan34 View Post
                          Yeah at the team facility and so forth. It does not prevent Tim Tebow from going to a local park and having a converastion and throwing a football around with someone or working on footwork etc.'

I am sure he will be in the facility when the CBA allows it, but I am sure he wants to put in work above and beyond that as well.

Comment

They live in the same neighborhood..I dont think the cba police will be peeking over the back fence

Comment

Originally posted by stuckinjax View Post
                              They live in the same neighborhood..I dont think the cba police will be peeking over the back fence
                              LMAO at the thought of Tim & Elway practicing in the backyard, Tim missing some instruction and then as punishment Elway makes Tim rake his yard & do household chores.

Comment

Working...
                              X