Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DP: Late-season injuries prove that Tim Tebow can't make a living as a run-first qb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #Broncosfan
    replied
    He doesn't try to pound his way up the middle, like you would see most RB's do several times per game. He is an elusive runner, and he doesn't take the kind of chances RB's do. He may take some hits, but nothing comparable to actual RB's.

Leave a comment:

• caddie22
    replied
    Originally posted by denver9ers View Post
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/15...er-nfl-player/

Taken from nflpa numbers.

Why would you would want your quarterback, who is supposed to have the longest average career, to spend substantial time acting like a running back, who has the shortest average career?
    Honestly, I didn't see him taking huge hits when he ran the ball this season. I can really only recall the Chicago game when he got hurt on a running play. I did see him get killed in the pocket vs. the Pats in the playoffs though.
    If he improves reading NFL defenses and we are more effective on underneath routes, his hits and sacks will dramatically reduce.
    The threat of run at the qb position is invaluable, it opens huge windows in the passing game and large holes in the running game.

Leave a comment:

• broncos SB2010
    replied
    the hits only make him stronger :d
    hulk smash!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• denver9ers
    replied
    Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    that's just crazy talk. Our QB is tougher than all the RBs and all of the defensive players in the league...........ever!
    The hits only make him stronger

Leave a comment:

• broncos SB2010
    replied

Why would you would want your quarterback, who is supposed to have the longest average career, to spend substantial time acting like a running back, who has the shortest average career?
    that's just crazy talk. Our QB is tougher than all the RBs and all of the defensive players in the league...........ever!

Leave a comment:

• denver9ers
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Nimrod
    replied
    Originally posted by shawinkerpoppin View Post
    i think people are missing the point and only are pointing to one bad hit he sustained in the pocket and not seeing all this hits that add up when he runs with the ball. the QB shouldnt walk away from the game feeling the the RB does after the game. all those hits are wear and tear to different parts of his body. most iimortnatly his arms shoulders head. bad enough he gets hit in the pocket as most QBs do but he is taking more abuse than necesary. im curious to find out how many hits he has taken this season from all the games in the pocket and running as opposed to other QBs. maybe im wrong maybe im right idk.
    He clearly took a lot more hits than many QBs this year because they got their clocks clean standing in the pocket and didn't play again.

Seriously - I do get the wear and tear argument just not the if he runs he will get hurt. All NFL players get hurt. I can tell you with a lot of certainty he will eventually get knocked out of playing time if he becomes a prototypical pocket passer. That the problem I have with this whole discussion. His improving his pocket passing skills is necessary for so many reasons but getting hurt is right at the bottom IMHO.

Leave a comment:

• shawinkerpoppin
    replied
    i think people are missing the point and only are pointing to one bad hit he sustained in the pocket and not seeing all this hits that add up when he runs with the ball. the QB shouldnt walk away from the game feeling the the RB does after the game. all those hits are wear and tear to different parts of his body. most iimortnatly his arms shoulders head. bad enough he gets hit in the pocket as most QBs do but he is taking more abuse than necesary. im curious to find out how many hits he has taken this season from all the games in the pocket and running as opposed to other QBs. maybe im wrong maybe im right idk.
    Last edited by shawinkerpoppin; 01-28-2012, 06:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• jcdavey
    replied
    you could probably argue that the sacks he took were more the reason for his late season injury

he took alot of sacks.....

Leave a comment:

• jcdavey
    replied
    well....vick adjusted (became more of a pocket passer), i mean he still gets hella injured, but who knows how much of that is because he was out of football for 2 full years?

Leave a comment:

• sb306
    replied
    Originally posted by draco193 View Post
    Something I've always wondered about the argument that Tim can't keep running: People always want a primary back, someone to take those 20 carries a game. Why would we expect them to be able to do that, but not expect Tim to take 10-12 a game?
    This is something that always confused me also. Doesnt make much sense to be honest.

Leave a comment:

• samparnell
    replied
    Tebow will be helped by a series based offense using a power run game with assignment blocking. He will be a rushing threat booting out of play action. The D will put a spy on him which will take a defender out of coverage. Option will still be a possibility when in direct snap/shotgun formations.

Leave a comment:

• broncos SB2010
    replied
    Originally posted by SM19
    No. Not all injuries result from a single hit on a single play; some are the cumulative result of repeated collisions. But when a quarterback is getting hit more, he's increasing his chance of suffering both kinds of injuries.
    stop posting such rational, intelligent nonsense!!! What's wrong with you!!

Leave a comment:

• All the Orange
    replied
    I didn't vote. I just want to say this is ludicrous! All of those injuries came as a result of Tebow getting pounded in the pocket. That is when he was injured not while he was running. This is beyond silly, let the guy play his game.

Leave a comment:

• -Rod-
    replied
    In the open field, Tebow is a 240-pound runner seeing the smaller defenders that are going to hit him, so he can defend himself.

In the pocket, Tebow is not always seeing the bigger defenders that are going to hit him because he has to keep his eyes downfield.

And he is much more vulnerable in the pocket as a stationary target. Beyond the line scrimmage, Tebow can use his speed, run over DBs, run out of bounds, dive, use lateral movements to avoid the big hit.

Also, it makes no sense to cry for a "rational" discussion and, at the same time, ignore the fact that Tebow is bigger than most NFL RBs.

Tebow does not have to stop running, he has to throw the ball better and protect the ball.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X