Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DP: Late-season injuries prove that Tim Tebow can't make a living as a run-first qb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Yhawk View Post
    More people die each year crossing the street at the crosswalk than they do jaywalking. Why? Because the crosswalk gives people a false sense of security. This is why qbs get hurt more in the pocket.
    Really? You don't think that the coaches stress the dangers to look for with their QBs? That it isn't gone over repeatedly?

As much running Tebow did this year his only significant injury happened in the pocket. Hell as much running Tebow did in college his worst injury (concussion) happened when he was in the pocket setting up for the pass. His football career is a perfect example on why the pocket is still the most dangerous place for a qb.
    The pocket is a dangerous place for TEBOW, not QBs in general. Because Tebow has never learned how to use the pocket properly since he's always had his safety valve of scrambling.

And if you people haven't noticed, Tebow now slides at the end his runs now. It is not like he is getting pounded on every run.
    And it only took two seasons to teach a running QB to slide. Kind of makes you wonder just how coachable Tebow really is...
    Last edited by neckbeard; 01-30-2012, 11:42 AM.
    "That's a crap question."
    - Kyle Orton

Comment

• where are the middle group of people who think IF tebow can become a good QB in this league they dont want him taking more hits than necessary just because he can

and yes obviously more QBs get hurt in the pocket . . . and the grass is green and water is wet
      sigpic
      -------

Comment

• If I recall correctly Tebow got hurt IN the pocket not out of it.

Comment

• Originally posted by neckbeard View Post
          Really? You don't think that the coaches stress the dangers to look for with their QBs? That it isn't gone over repeatedly?
          As if any QB needs to be taught "Don't get hit". A QB gets hurt when his confidence in his offense line exceeds their competence.

Originally posted by neckbeard View Post
          The pocket is a dangerous place for TEBOW, not QBs in general. Because Tebow has never learned how to use the pocket properly since he's always had his safety valve of scrambling.
          If that was true then we would be talking about how injury prone he is. How much time has he missed due to injuries in the pocket during his college+pro career?

Originally posted by neckbeard View Post
          And it only took two seasons to teach a running QB to slide. Kind of makes you wonder just how coachable Tebow really is...
          I don't know, let us know the other running QBs who learned faster.

Comment

• Yes, QBs can get hurt in the pocket. QBs can also get smacked when they run.
            Truth is, if Tebow keeps up his running, he is going to get more in more hits, in addition to any he will take in the pocket.

So he will get double the punishment.

I'm very surprised at the amount of people who think he can continue running so much.
            sigpic

Comment

• I don't think any quarterback can hold up running the ball that much. If he wants to last more than five or six years in the league I think he definitely needs to cut down on the running and work on being able to take games over from the pocket.

Comment

• Originally posted by Yhawk View Post
                As if any QB needs to be taught "Don't get hit". A QB gets hurt when his confidence in his offense line exceeds their competence.
                Yes, they do. Things happen a lot faster in the NFL then they do in college. Coaches understand this even if fans don't. So they DO teach their QBs to recognize dangerous situations and how to avoid them. No team wants to risk losing their starter and having to depend on the backup.

If that was true then we would be talking about how injury prone he is. How much time has he missed due to injuries in the pocket during his college+pro career?
                It's just been stated that the only really serious injuries Tebow has ever suffered - either in college or the pros - has been in the pocket. It's a dangerous place for Timmy. Why? Because he doesn't know how to stay safe there. He bolts for open ground whenever there's a problem in there.

I don't know, let us know the other running QBs who learned faster.
                Come on, man!

Really, how difficult is it to get thru an athlete's head that he will get hurt if he keeps trying to lower a shoulder and take a shot at a defender (where the rules don't protect a QB) as opposed to safely sliding once you've picked up a 1st down (where the rules heavily protect a QB)? If that's too tough a concept to grasp, how much "football smarts" can a QB have?
                - Kyle Orton

Comment

• Originally posted by All the Orange View Post
                  You all are obviously unwilling to listen to facts and reason. Look at the laundry list of injured pocket QBs. W/e though if you can't see the difference in between preparing for a run and getting smashed in the pocket, and don't understand the physics difference from the two I really can't help you. You can 'take a hit' much better when you are ready for it.

Can you really not see the difference?

But seriously why don't you get it? Is it the facts? The videos? The IR report? The list of injured pocket QBs? The physics difference from taking a stationary hit to preparing for a hit? Or just the stubbornness of sticking to one point?

Anyway, I've got better things to do then continuously point out facts on a message board. Time will tell.
                  I tried to point that out too! I used Mark Bunnell with the Jags. He was a scrambling quarterback until Coughlin forced him to stay in the pocket. Just about the first game he stayed in the pocket, he got broadsided and busted his knee or ankle (can't remember which) which he never got over.
                  I believe Ben Roethlisberger is a pocket quarterback and he got injured in the pocket. Scrambling is not for everybody but if you can to avoid a sack then run as long as it is not backward.

Comment

• "You will take bigger hits standing in the pocket than you will out in the open when you can see things."

Sean Salisbury, former NFL quarterback.

http://stationcaster.com/player_skin...c=737&f=381201
                    sigpic

Comment

• As a converted Tebow fan, I must say I find it funny that other Tebow supporters think this guy can with stand the punishment of the NFL linebackers, D-linemen, and hard hitting safeties for a 16 game season and if he does that, also take the abuse and physicality of the playoffs if it were to come to fruition, by running all the time like it's a college game.

The guys isn't a god. In my "opinion" I noticed the guy stopped running in the last few games even when he had open lanes and we could have used the 3 thru 4 or more yards at times. Also, in those last few games it looked as if he was tentative even when he slid. It didn't look like the same guy I watched early in the season. So I have to assume he was already hurt and didn't want to make anything worse. Thats in a shortenend season for him.

My faith in him succeeding has to do with him improving in the pocket and trusting himself to throwing receivers open. If he can do that, and (trust me) I am seriously hopeing he can, then he will be fine. If he can't learn to do that consistently, then he wont be here in Denver. This unfortunately is a fact!

For my Broncos sake, I hope he succeeds!!!!
                      Last edited by ParkHill-71; 01-31-2012, 05:52 PM.
                      sigpic

Comment

• Power run

Adjustment attacking runs

PAP/Boot

Scramble

Occasional Double Option from gun
                        "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

• Originally posted by Roddoliver View Post
                          "You will take bigger hits standing in the pocket than you will out in the open when you can see things."

Sean Salisbury, former NFL quarterback.

http://stationcaster.com/player_skin...c=737&f=381201
                          If the pocket is such an inherently dangerous place, then why are there so many pocket QBs and so many pocket-based offensive systems in the NFL?

Why are so many teams so willing to recklessly risk the single most important player on the roster in the death-trap that is a pocket?

Why don't they just draft all of those scrambling college QBs and just let them run free, untouched and unharmed?

- Kyle Orton

Comment

Working...
                          X