Elway: Tebow is the starter, but Broncos are in the quarterback market

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elway: Tebow is the starter, but Broncos are in the quarterback market

Broncos front office boss John Elway wouldn’t dare anger Denver fans by suggesting that anyone other than Tim Tebow will enter training camp as the starting quarterback. But he will go so far as to say he hopes to acquire someone who can compete with Tebow in camp.

“We will be in the market to find more quarterbacks,” Elway told the Denver Post at the Senior Bowl. “That’s our approach with Tim being our starter as we go to training camp, that we’ll look at free agency and the draft.”

Elway has described the kind of quarterback he likes as “the big athlete who can throw the ball from the pocket,” which doesn’t exactly fit Tebow to a T and serves as a reminder that Tebow is the quarterback Elway inherited, not the quarterback Elway chose.

The question now is whether Elway will choose to bring in a quarterback who has a real chance of unseating Tebow in training camp.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...erback-market/

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...#ixzz1kyLDbOOC
    Last edited by jetdrumz; 01-30-2012, 12:56 PM.
    Decimating the competition, leaving in the wake a blind ambition.

elecshoc
    You will be for ever known as the truth see-er

Broncos VP of Football Operations John Elway says any quarterback the team acquires this offseason will compete for the starting job in training camp.
    "Any free agent or anybody that comes in here when we start training camp is going to be competing for jobs," Elway said. Elway has anointed Tim Tebow the Broncos' starter going into camp, but still refuses to fully commit to him for 2012. It's extremely early in the offseason, but it doesn't sound like the Broncos have plans to overhaul their offense to better fit Tebow's unique skill-set.

Source: Denver Post
    sigpic

Comment

Really though I would be annoyed if they didnt bring in someone.

Not that I think tebow needs that motivation but it always helps to have someone pushing you.

Comment

And it make sense seeing as how only Tebow and Webber are on the roster at this point.
        Decimating the competition, leaving in the wake a blind ambition.

elecshoc
        You will be for ever known as the truth see-er

Comment

Inb4ElwayhatesTebow
          sigpic

2013,2014, and 2015 Adopt a Bronco: Champ Bailey, Marvin Austin and Matt Paradis

Comment

Let's see how some people will spin this one.

Here's what I see. Tim Tebow is the only QB on the roster that we have signed under contract.
            Of course we have to be in the QB market. Weber might be on PS again, or whatever.

Elway also said all positions will be evaluated and will have competition.
            QB is a position on the team!

Pretty straight shooting right here.
            sigpic

Comment

We need depth at QB anyway. I dont see this as an issue, but more as a must. If we bring someone in, and they out do Tebow and win the starting job, more power to them. But at the very least we need able bodied QBs to back up Tim in case he gets hurt, and frankly, I dont know if Brady Quinn is that guy, and if he is, let him go somewhere that he can shine while we groom a young QB behind Tebow to replace him if Tebow has infact reached his pinnacle.

Comment

Has anyone asked elway if he would pursue Peyton manning if he became a free agent? Im curious about that.

Comment

"the big athlete who can throw the ball from the pocket"

sooo..... who in free agency and the draft describes that. Does that rule out guys like Russell Wilson and Kellen Moore?

Comment

Good. Tim needs a fire under his butt going into next season. Think about it, some of his best games came when there were grumbled that the coaching staff may bench him if he continued his poor play. After that, guess what happens? You get games like the Steelers game.
                    Just a diehard Broncos Fan trying to make it living in Charger/Raider country (SoCal)

Comment

Originally posted by one5beast View Post

sooo..... who in free agency and the draft describes that. Does that rule out guys like Russell Wilson and Kellen Moore?
                      only guy we could get that comes to mind is tannehill.

Comment

Originally posted by one5beast View Post

Osweiler is my choice if they are looking for actual competition that fits that mold but they would have to take him in the 1st or 2nd
                        sigpic
                        "I'm scared if I stop all at once, the cumulative hangover will literally kill me."

Comment

Originally posted by shawinkerpoppin View Post
                          only guy we could get that comes to mind is tannehill.
                          Or Osweiler or B.J. Coleman.
                          sigpic

Comment

I have a friend who was at the Senior Bowl scouting last week. He said that Cousins from Michigan State was the only one who looked decent.

Comment

Originally posted by Bronco51 View Post
                              I have a friend who was at the Senior Bowl scouting last week. He said that Cousins from Michigan State was the only one who looked decent.
                              This is off topic, but your post count, 3666 was the winning cash 4 numbers here in Jax last night.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X