Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SI: Grades and ranks the Super Bowls...we get screwed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SI: Grades and ranks the Super Bowls...we get screwed!

Despite calling it "the best Super Bowl ever" in their pages following the game, Super Bowl XXXII (Broncos-Packers) is not listed in the "10 Best Super Bowls".

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mul...sct=nfl_t11_a5

We did manage to make 3 out of the "10 Worst Super Bowls" however.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mul...sct=nfl_t11_a6

When grading all 45 Super Bowls, Super Bowl XXXII is only ranked an A, whereas 7 other games are ranked A+.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...sct=nfl_t11_a0

I know this is trivial, and I shouldn't care...but I do. Four players in the HOF? None, prior to Elway's getting in? No respect from the national media?

Here's a little gem I found, regarding the same game. It's SI's "expert" predictions:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/foo...2/predictions/
    Last edited by azfanz; 01-31-2012, 12:45 AM.

I like being underrated.

Comment

It's almost clear that they just chose any close game with Brady. The 2 NE SB's wins that made the list were so boring, and nobody cared. I would have easily placed the Eagles SB over those 2 any day. Both crap games. But they had Brady moments in the end and that's what made then "great" I suppose. Still there's no way they trump XXXII. People talk about Tebow love, lol! I swear The Brady love is completely out of hand. I personally believe he is one of the top 3 to ever play the game, maybe the best ever. But I can't just say every SB he played was great. Where was the epic battle in those games? Notice in XXXVIII, which they have 3rd btw, they don't even mention who he was battling it out with! And that trumps Farve-Elway? The "Helicopter" game? The game that featured 2 HOF qb's and a RB got the SBMVP? As Keyshown says, "Come on man!"
      #swapping

Comment

A little off topic, but I have some higher level of respect for you guys as football fans that can reference a super bowl by it's roman numeral number and know who played, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by broncofanfromia View Post
          A little off topic, but I have some higher level of respect for you guys as football fans that can reference a super bowl by it's roman numeral number and know who played, etc.
          Personally I have to look them up and I'm not afraid to say it. only reason I know XXXII and XXIII, is because we won, lol!
          #swapping

Comment

that broncos packers sb was pretty great definite top 5

i got giants/pats as #1
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by azfanz View Post
              Despite calling it "the best Super Bowl ever" in their pages following the game, Super Bowl XXXII (Broncos-Packers) is not listed in the "10 Best Super Bowls".

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mul...sct=nfl_t11_a5

We did manage to make 3 out of the "10 Worst Super Bowls" however.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mul...sct=nfl_t11_a6

When grading all 45 Super Bowls, Super Bowl XXXII is only ranked an A, whereas 7 other games are ranked A+.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...sct=nfl_t11_a0

I know this is trivial, and I shouldn't care...but I do. Four players in the HOF? None, prior to Elway's getting in? No respect from the national media?

Here's a little gem I found, regarding the same game. It's SI's "expert" predictions:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/foo...2/predictions/
              In my biased, yet-somehow-still-objective, humble opinion, our first title was the 3rd best Super Bowl ever. Here's how I'd rank them:
              1. XXV: Giants over Bills - most dramatic, best backdrop, clash of styles, no turnovers all game, memorable moments throughout, even the Anthem was epic.
              2. XLII: Giants over Pats - insane drama, the Tyree catch, undefeated season on the line, 3 lead changes in the 4th.
              3. XXXII: Us over Pack - storylines everywhere, 2 HOF QBs, back and forth, helicopter play, perfect combo of great offense and great defense in a SB.
              4. XXXIV: Rams over Titans - really enjoayble game, no turnovers, clash of styles, McNair becomes a star, best finish of a game ever.
              5. XXXVI: Pats over Rams - biggest David v. Goliath of my lifetime, masterful coaching performance, Rams figured it out late, had all momentum, Brady legend is born.
              6. XXIII: Niners over Bengals - Joe Cool.
              7. III: Jets over Colts - most important game ever played, great gameplan, every down mattered, stats don't do Namath's performance justice.
              8. XLIII - Steelers over Cards - wild game with a wild finish, felt a little fake with Arizona involved though.
              9. XXXVIII: Pats over Panthers - ditto
              10. XIII: Steelers over Cowboys - back and forth offensive game that featured more HOF players in their prime than any game since the merger.
              Sent from my Human Cent-iPad

Comment

In all fairness while our win vs GB was epic at the time all things considered, us being under dogs + the NFC blowing out the AFC for most of the 14 years in a row they won + Elway vs Favre in a close game, there have been allot of really good super bowls since.

The fact that Denver is a small market hurts our chances imo
                Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

I'm biased but biases aside how can you not rank this in the top 5???

A back in forth game between two hall of fame QB's. A heavily favored team going for a repeat. An over the hill QB finally winning the big game. I'm sure Raiders fans were even happy for John in that game. The biggest lead was ten points. Every moment and play was a pressure situation.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jcdavey View Post
                    that broncos packers sb was pretty great definite top 5

i got giants/pats as #1
                    Rams v titans was about as epic as they get

Giants v Pats

Steelers v Cards

Broncos v Pack

those are probably my favorites that i remember
                    sigpic
                    -------

Comment

Originally posted by Bradshaw3001 View Post
                      1. XXV: Giants over Bills - most dramatic, best backdrop, clash of styles, no turnovers all game, memorable moments throughout, even the Anthem was epic.
                      Ottis Anderson's uppercut stiff arm is one of my all time favorite plays in football history ...

I looked for the highlight but didn't have any luck
                      :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo:

Comment

I think Super Bowl XXII was the best ever. Why? Because I got to go to the game.

(The outcome was pretty depressing though )
                        =====
                        Doug G
                        =====

Comment

Originally posted by Bradshaw3001 View Post
                          In my biased, yet-somehow-still-objective, humble opinion, our first title was the 3rd best Super Bowl ever. Here's how I'd rank them:
                          2. XLII: Giants over Pats - insane drama, the Tyree catch, undefeated season on the line, 3 lead changes in the 4th.
                          3. XXXII: Us over Pack - storylines everywhere, 2 HOF QBs, back and forth, helicopter play, perfect combo of great offense and great defense in a SB.
                          4. XXXIV: Rams over Titans - really enjoayble game, no turnovers, clash of styles, McNair becomes a star, best finish of a game ever.
                          5. XXXVI: Pats over Rams - biggest David v. Goliath of my lifetime, masterful coaching performance, Rams figured it out late, had all momentum, Brady legend is born.
                          6. XXIII: Niners over Bengals - Joe Cool.
                          7. III: Jets over Colts - most important game ever played, great gameplan, every down mattered, stats don't do Namath's performance justice.
                          8. XLIII - Steelers over Cards - wild game with a wild finish, felt a little fake with Arizona involved though.
                          9. XXXVIII: Pats over Panthers - ditto
                          10. XIII: Steelers over Cowboys - back and forth offensive game that featured more HOF players in their prime than any game since the merger.
                          You also forgot for ours the decision by Holmgren to let T.D. in for a TD so they had more time left on the clock. That is still brought up from time to time. It was a game that had everything...including our first ring on try 4 for Elway.

Great list by the way.
                          sigpic

Comment

I'm going to assume this list was made by Peter King, biggest Pats homer I've ever seen.
                            sigpic

Comment

Well the Giants over Pats should probably be one. But then followed at least by us beating the Packers.

But oh well, the Broncos are usually not loved by the media so this is nothing new.
                              sigpic
                              MILE HIGH MAGIC HAPPENS IN ORANGE!

2011 Adopt a Bronco: The Beast off the Bench Adam Weber!!!

Originally posted by Jay3
                              Yes. For two Super Bowls I would be willing to carpet bomb Canada.

Comment

Working...
                              X