X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We denied the request for Allen to talk to Smith

Here's the scoop, http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post...-talk-to-smith

By Bill Williamson
    The nice play is over in the AFC West. It didn’t last long.

When Dennis Allen was hired to be the Oakland Raiders’ head coach last week, his former boss John Fox wished Allen well. And, now, Allen is on his own.

ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported that the Broncos have denied the Raiders permission to speak to linebackers coach Richard Smith for the Oakland defensive job.

Previously, Kansas City defensive backs coach Emmitt Thomas and New Orleans defensive line coach Bill Johnson were dropped off as candidates. It’s not a surprise Fox denied Allen permission. He wants to keep as much stability on his defensive coaching staff as possible. It seems more and more teams are denying permission these days and it’s no shock this intra-division hard stance was made.

Potential coordinator candidates may now include former San Diego defensive coordinator Greg Manusky and San Francisco defensive backs coach Ed Donatell.
    If it's already posted, I apologize. I checked and didn't see it.
    #swapping

Good. Why should we let Oakland take away our linebackers coach? Fox obviously likes the guy so it wouldnt make sense to let him just pack up and leave, especially when we're talking about the Raiders.

Comment

Allen: you are now the enemy. why tf would we let him gut us? Hope he's ready for 2 beat downs a year.
      Fightin' Texas Aggie c/o '16

Comment

That is pretty messed up.....To not let a guy advance his career......Pretty low move
        Thanx Blondie79 for the sweet Sig....Love it and I will rock it with pridesigpic

Comment

why would we let our coaches go to a division rival if we could do something to block it? Allen was kind of dumb for asking in the first place to be honest. Did he think we were just going to say "sure, go ahead and take all our defensive coaches with you so we can start completely over again!" Guy had to know we were going to deny before he even asked.

Comment

I don't like it when teams do this. If it was for a lateral move ok, block it, but if I am not mistaken he was going to be the DC in Oakland if he got the job. It would suck to lose another person, but that is an opportunity that Smith may not get again for a long time.

Comment

It's easy not to like this kind of thing on its face, but coaches sign employment contracts, and the NFL allows teams to block interviews like this. If a guy is under contract, he gains stability and job security (even if he's fired, the team still has to pay him for the remaining term of the contract), and in exchange the coach knows that he gives up some of his freedom and potential to seek other jobs. If a position coach wants to make sure that he can interview for every open coordinator position, he can sign one-year contracts only; if he signs longer term deals, that's the trade off he's making.

As long as a guy is under contract and it's within the rules of the league, it's tough to be so critical of a team denying permission to interview. But teams need to be selective in doing this; if they're always stonewalling and preventing guys from moving up, no free agent coaches are going to sign up with that team.

Comment

I just thought of this: didn't this happen before Del Rio was hired? We were still strongly considering Smith as our own DC, so it's not all messed up.

Comment

Originally posted by MileHighInNY View Post
                  It's easy not to like this kind of thing on its face, but coaches sign employment contracts, and the NFL allows teams to block interviews like this. If a guy is under contract, he gains stability and job security (even if he's fired, the team still has to pay him for the remaining term of the contract), and in exchange the coach knows that he gives up some of his freedom and potential to seek other jobs. If a position coach wants to make sure that he can interview for every open coordinator position, he can sign one-year contracts only; if he signs longer term deals, that's the trade off he's making.

As long as a guy is under contract and it's within the rules of the league, it's tough to be so critical of a team denying permission to interview. But teams need to be selective in doing this; if they're always stonewalling and preventing guys from moving up, no free agent coaches are going to sign up with that team.
                  Awesome point. He signed a contract and gave his word that he would be the LB coach here. He shouldnt be mad about it when all of a sudden another opportunity presents itself.

Hes in a marriage right now, and just because another woman walks by doesnt mean he can run after her, unless the Broncos agree to a divorce, which isnt happening! (Wierd analogy, I know)

Comment

Smith probably begged the Broncos to do this to avoid his career being ruined by the Raiders
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MileHighInNY View Post

That's what I was saying when the Allen to Oakland thing started. (Things worked out pretty well, and quick with JDR tho. Almost like it was planned...)

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

Comment

Plus, Allen can't be mad. We had every right to block his interview.

Comment

smith probably asked us to block it because it would look bad to deny an interview. he doesnt wanna go to the raiders for 1 year and get fired like they have been doing the past 7 years lol. he likes stability in denver and he gets to coach great players like von miller and DJ williams!

Comment

Originally posted by japfaff View Post
                            That is pretty messed up.....To not let a guy advance his career......Pretty low move
                            he's under contract with the Broncos I assume... he signed it, he stays.
                            A super bowl victory is the only thing that matters in a season. So to show improvement you have to get closer than we were last year. So the AFCC game is a good answer if we only match what we did last year it is a failure. The Giants were 9-7 and won it all so record or first round bye mean nothing unless you win it all-

#87Birdman wrote it- adding Manning, the Broncos should be held to it, and certain posters think otherwise and we know who you are.....

Comment

Originally posted by japfaff View Post
                              Well gee, then maybe Smith shouldn't have signed the contract.

Broncos aren't in the business of grooming coaches to play for your rivals. Smith can quit if he wants.

Comment

Working...
                              X