Kiszla: Broncos living in past with Tim Tebow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kiszla: Broncos living in past with Tim Tebow

If the Broncos want to travel down the road to the Super Bowl, the training wheels need to come off Tim Tebow.

One look at New England star Tom Brady or Eli Manning of the New York Giants reveals the reality of the NFL in 2012.

This is a league ruled by quarterbacks.

And we're not talking about a quarterback who would rather run than pass.

There are 1,001 legitimate reasons to love Tebow.

But anybody who thinks the Broncos can win a Super Bowl with the offense they used to crash the postseason party with Tebow at the controls is living in the 1970s.

During 11 starts during the regular season, Tebow won seven games. That's a shining testament to his leadership ability. He averaged 150 yards passing per start. That's as clunky and hopelessly out of date as a 1974 Ford Pinto.

In fact, no team has won the NFL championship with a less-productive passing attack since the 1974 Pittsburgh Steelers. The Steelers averaged 140 yards passing per game. But they also competed in an era so long ago that Barbra Streisand was atop the music charts and Curt Gowdy led the TV broadcast of the Super Bowl.

Go ahead and cue "The Way We Were" if you so desire. But, in John Fox's first season as Denver coach, the Broncos did not play football the way championships are won now.

Fox deserves full credit and coach of the year votes for redesigning his offense to bring out the best of Tebow's limited, raw skills.

The next step is harder. Fox must find a way to turn Tebow into a quarterback fit to thrive in the 21st century.

I asked Broncos general manager Brian Xanders where the organization expects Tebow to improve between his first and second season as a starting quarterback.

"It's the precision on the passing, it's the accuracy, the footwork, the mechanics, the rhythm, the timing, the quickness, the release. Everything," Xanders said Monday. "And he wants to work at it. And he's dedicated. He's going to work really hard at improving those things. Our coaches, Mike McCoy and Adam Gase, and hopefully even John Elway are going to help him improve throughout the offseason. And he knows he has a lot of work to do. We're excited about him improving in those areas."

It's a long list. Unless Tebow gets better as a passer, it will be extremely difficult for the Broncos to be better than an 8-8 football team next season.

Denver needs to find competition for Tebow, if for no other reason than he responds best when challenged. But, with the 25th selection in the NFL draft's opening round, how does Denver do it? Quarterbacks Andrew Luck of Stanford and Robert Griffin III of Baylor will be long gone. Nick Foles of Arizona and Ryan Tannehill of Texas A&M seem like developmental projects.

Finding a quarterback in the free-agent market would be a crapshoot. While Green Bay backup Matt Flynn is intriguing, ask the Arizona Cardinals how they now feel about investing more than $20 million guaranteed in Kevin Kolb.

The soap opera that overshadows the Super Bowl in Indianapolis is the melodrama of what feels like an impending divorce between Colts owner Jim Irsay and Peyton Manning. It makes no football sense for the team to draft Luck and keep Manning. In a business bound by salary-cap regulations, it makes no dollars and sense for the Colts to trade Manning.

As painful as it might be, the right thing to do is for Indianapolis to let Manning walk out the door. Washington, Miami and Seattle desperately need a quarterback. I'm not sure how much money I would wager on a 35-year-old player who has endured three surgeries on his neck during the past two years. Here's thinking retirement might well be the smartest option for Manning.

But should Peyton watch little brother Eli one-up him with a second NFL championship in his own backyard, the urge to get back in the game will be powerful. Wouldn't Denver be a more attractive spot for Manning to pursue one more ring than as a member of the Redskins, Dolphins or Seahawks?

Either Tebow grows as a passer or Elway must shop for a new quarterback.

Anybody think Denver could win a championship with a healthy Manning at quarterback?

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_19856488
    sigpic

Not only do they need to open up the "Tebow", but they also need to be less predictable. One reason i was praying McCoy would get a HC gig.

Also we need a better defense. I think most Broncos fans agree that our secondary and pass rush was non-existant vs the Pats. No QB could have beat Brady that day with that defense. Elite ones could have made it a lot closer though.
    PM me if interested in joining a Madden '12 for Xbox 360. Or visit us at xbgl720.com

Comment

Either Tebow grows as a passer or Elway must shop for a new quarterback.

more or less what half the board has been saying for months.

Comment

Originally posted by Remedy View Post
        more or less what half the board has been saying for months.
        Exactly, Kizla is not stating anything new or fresh with his article. Maybe he should try to be a little more "cutting edge" and stop "living in the 70's" himself. I think EFX have been very clear that they will expect more out of Tebow next season.
        We are going with Plan A

Comment

Originally posted by Buck_N_Broncs View Post
          Not only do they need to open up the "Tebow", but they also need to be less predictable. One reason i was praying McCoy would get a HC gig.

Also we need a better defense. I think most Broncos fans agree that our secondary and pass rush was non-existant vs the Pats. No QB could have beat Brady that day with that defense. Elite ones could have made it a lot closer though.
          Tim needs to get better at the things mentioned before they "open" things up. If tebow improves in all these areas you will see a more open game plan, you will see him getting the OK to audible and you will see some 2012 style football.

But if he doesn't... well you will continue to see the 150 ypg passing.
          Family, country, rugby, football

I posted in the epic Peyton's NeckBones thread and all I got was this lousy T-Shirt!

Comment

Obvious stuff about Tebow, but to answer Kizla's question about a healthy Manning winning a championship in Denver, I'd say "no" without an improved defense and playcalling.

We all knew the defense was a multi-year project, and it was a pleasant surprise that they played as well as they did this year. The playcalling though was terrible - predictable and way too conservative. Take the Buffalo game while it was still close. First drive, a few passes mixed in with runs and a TD. The next 5 drives? All 3 and out with 0 attempted passes (run, run, run, punt). All year the dives on 1st down killed us, putting the offense into 2nd and long. So as much as Tebow needs to improve, McCoy does too or we'll see an underperforming offense again next year.

Comment

McCoy did what he could to help a QB coming to grips with the NFL. Tebow has to improve a lot next season, everyone knows that.

Even though its a QB league, how GREAT was it seeing D's stepping up in the playoffs.

SF bounced N.O
              NYG bounced GB

Balt played great D against NE but Flacco is average and they missed a short FG

SF and the Giants played some GREAT D football, it came down to a ST disaster at the end.

The Giants have Manning and he has played well, but they are a balanced team who played great D in the playoffs.

Comment

This is one of the worst articles I have ever read. No news here. Just a bunch of analogies to the 1970's.

Well of course the Steelers won with a 70's formula-IT WAS 1974?!?!? Right?!?

Comment

Originally posted by bronx_2003 View Post
                  McCoy did what he could to help a QB coming to grips with the NFL. Tebow has to improve a lot next season, everyone knows that.

Even though its a QB league, how GREAT was it seeing D's stepping up in the playoffs.

SF bounced N.O
                  NYG bounced GB

Balt played great D against NE but Flacco is average and they missed a short FG

SF and the Giants played some GREAT D football, it came down to a ST disaster at the end.

The Giants have Manning and he has played well, but they are a balanced team who played great D in the playoffs.
                  It was GREAT!!! To see high powered offenses go up against good defenses, man, this was the best playoffs ever, IMO.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JayJack View Post
                    It was GREAT!!! To see high powered offenses go up against good defenses, man, this was the best playoffs ever, IMO.
                    Yep, there were alot of great games. Wildcard weekend was poor (except our game) but the rest were all classics.

Comment

A healthy Peyton Manning could come to Denver next year and we STILL would not win the Superbowl.

We have major holes across the whole roster and ZERO depth at any position!

I understand the obsession with the QB, but GET REAL!

Comment

Kizla called tebow "a sorry excuse for a quarterback" in only his 5th start ever and"the worst QB he has ever seen" (I paraphrase)

I don't think any young QB has ever had that said about him in only his 5th start.

He said Tebow and Elway could be put on trial after the chiefs game. He said Tebow did not belong in the NFL etc and did not liek the long term prospect of tebow as a QB

Kizla is probably someone entrenched in his opinon that Tebow would never make it and simply will not let go of it.
                        Last edited by Mk2_Tebow; 01-31-2012, 04:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mk2_Tebow View Post
                          Kizla called tebow "a sorry excuse for a quarterback" in only his 5th start ever and"the worst QB he has ever seen" (I paraphrase)

I don't think any young QB has ever had that said about him in only his 5th start.

He insulted him personally saying he could not walk and chew gum at the same time.

He ripped him over and over and over all year long. He said Tebow and Elway should be put on trial after the chiefs game.
                          Kizla is the very definition of someone entrenched in his opinon that Tebow would never make it and simply will not let go of it.

This article might or might not be true but in my opinion Kizla has ZERO journalistic integrity when it comes to Tebow.
                          He put those insults into an article? holy cow... I would have to agree with you on this one seems like Kizla just dislikes Tebow as a QB and a Person.

I posted in the epic Peyton's NeckBones thread and all I got was this lousy T-Shirt!

Comment

Originally posted by Mk2_Tebow View Post

He insulted him personally saying he could not walk and chew gum at the same time.

He ripped him over and over and over all year long. He said Tebow and Elway should be put on trial after the chiefs game.

Kizla is the very definition of someone entrenched in his opinon that Tebow would never make it and simply will not let go of it. In just about every article he had Tebow "on the way out" that Steelers game must have killed him.

This article might or might not be true but in my opinion Kizla has ZERO journalistic integrity when it comes to Tebow.
                            I havent heard of anyone insulting Tim's intelligence. So i looked up his Wonderlic score (22) below that of the average qb (24) but not by much. I don't think you can predict it for how QB's are going to do Alex Smith (40) and Marino (15) but I know some FO people take it seriously.

by the way this quote from Tebow comes from the article. Its from ESPN of May 2010..

"There are things that I can get a lot better at -- my fundamentals," Tebow said in February. "I've never been asked to shorten or quicken my release and not have a loop in it. The changes I'm making have gone very well and it's becoming more and more natural to me."

So to those that keep saying I GUARANTEE Tebow will do everything necessary... I'd be a more than a little worried. He said the same thing almost 2 years ago and the problems remain the same.

Comment

Manning would never come to Denver. He requires several high quality WRs. He runs his special offense as special as Tebow's and that means running is never high priority and that Fox would never sanction.

I can see Manning going to several teams but the Broncos there is no way.

Any QB from the draft will be developmental so that means Tebow will be the starter. Any FA QB will be the usual Orton type journeyman so that means Tebow will be the starter.

If the Broncos are smart they put together a run first, QB running offense in place. Sure Tim can improve but the playcalling and gameplanning needs to improve too. You can't telegraph the upcoming play every single time and win in the NFL but you can run and win in the NFL. BAL should have beat NE and if they had it would be proof a STRONG D and RUN GAME can win in the NFL.

Comment

Working...
                              X