DP - Elway hires new cap guru

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Legion509 View Post
    Tebow was also the starter going into last year. Somehow lost it (magically). And your team tanked. We will see. My bet is we will hear the "better chance to win" quote.
    Tebow did not go into this season as the starter, Orton did.
    My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
    You Mad Bro?
    Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

Originally posted by flosstein View Post
      Ravens, like the Steelers, almost never tag. They resign on their rep. They'll let him test the market, find his value, then counter offer with the pride of playing for the Ravens. So it's possible, likely is a different story
      This and I don't think Willis would be happy with Rice coming anyway.. He was upset and was a huge part of him not signing with the better team,(the Ravens) was that he was going to be relegated to a lesser role, and in fact had already been the prior season due to Rice's performance.
      GO BRONCOS AFC Champs!!!
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by broncolee View Post
        1-Well, it may or may not be true about Tebow having no effect on putting people in the seats.
        2-There's a difference between ticket sales and game day attendance.
        If season ticket holders don't show up and can't find someone to buy there tickets for a particular game, 3-then attendance goes down and there aren't as many people in the stadium to buy beer and food.
        1-well if we were not selling out the stadium for many years I might have a different view about it but .....

2-I agree, while most of the time the ticket sale is equal to the maximum of people that can/could be there. Attendance is how many people are actually there. Either way, I doubt Tebow has an effect because we have historically filled the stadium (well maybe not this year...and Tebow was our Qb so...)

3-I see where your going with this but people are already filling up the stadium with or without Tebow so.....
        :logo:Canadian Denver Bronco Fan #7:logo:

Adopted Broncos:
        -:Mr. Decker:-

Comment

Originally posted by McSmashie View Post
          Broncos' John Elway hires new cap guru Mike Sullivan

Elway made another significant move this week when he brought in a new salary cap guru.

Sullivan created the option bonus — which is really a second signing bonus — and one-time playing time bonus in player contracts. They are now common part of the more lucrative NFL contracts, including almost every first-round draft pick.

Elway's apprenticeship reminded him that football operations is not only about a player's talent, but how contract structuring is vital in acquiring that talent.
          I believe a new "salary cap guru" will be imperative if the Broncos intend to attract and/or keep any real pass catching talent.

With every Wide Out now wanting to be the next “prima donna” Brandon, T.O. or Ochoa and every T.E. now looking to play for the Patriots, the Broncos will need someone innovative enough to structure contract incentives such that any “true pass catching talent” will actually want to play for this team, as it is, for the next few years.

I’d love to know how this new “guru” intends to do that.
          "Talk does not make a man ... only action can!"

Comment

Originally posted by kevlar441 View Post
            I believe a new "salary cap guru" will be imperative if the Broncos intend to attract and/or keep any real pass catching talent.

With every Wide Out now wanting to be the next “prima donna” Brandon, T.O. or Ochoa and every T.E. now looking to play for the Patriots, the Broncos will need someone innovative enough to structure contract incentives such that any “true pass catching talent” will actually want to play for this team, as it is, for the next few years.

I’d love to know how this new “guru” intends to do that.
            Any true pass catching talent is going to avoid Denver like the plague if they think the Broncos are running the same offense as this season.

It won't matter who the cap guru is or how incentive laden the contracts are.

At the very least they will not want a contract that is dependent on incentives being reached and the contract will have to be fat.
            My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
            You Mad Bro?
            Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

Any true pass catching talent is going to avoid Denver like the plague if they think the Broncos are running the same offense as this season.

It won't matter who the cap guru is or how incentive laden the contracts are.

At the very least they will not want a contract that is dependent on incentives being reached and the contract will have to be fat.
              Agreed. We will have to draft them.
              Hate List for 2016-2017 Season: 1. Oakland, 2. New England, 3. Kansas City, 4. Pittsburgh and 5. Houston (yes, Houston....)

Comment

Well, it may or may not be true about Tebow having no effect on putting people in the seats.

There's a difference between ticket sales and game day attendance.

If season ticket holders don't show up and can't find someone to buy there tickets for a particular game, then attendance goes down and there aren't as many people in the stadium to buy beer and food.
                The numbers tell you Tebow can only have a small effect on attendance. I will agree that he could, if he went to a team that was not filling the stadium, such as Jacksonville. The truth is, the Broncos have been near capacity for many years. There just isn't room for Tebow to have a significant impact here.

Average Mile High per game attendance (from ESPN):
                2006-76,347
                2007-76,611
                2008-75,509
                2009-75,116
                2010-74,908
                2011-75,327

Comment

Originally posted by Pruke View Post
                  Okay. If we have to draft any decent pass catching talent, then all this talk about using the draft exclusively for Defense and running back just went right out the window.

Many people seem to feel we need at least one fast WideOut oppisite D.T. so we can move Decker into the slot. Asssuming someone pans out in the draft, we still have to figure out how to keep them and keep them playing at their highest level.

I mean it is okay to try to design some fantasy team around Tebow in your head. However, (as we have all seen) the reality of trying to entice, motivate and keep that talent is a different story.
                  Last edited by kevlar441; 02-09-2012, 02:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pruke View Post
                    Or go for someone like Early Doucet, Laurent Robinson, Steve Smith (PHI)...someone mostly reliable who won't command #1 WR money, has shown the willingness to be a team player and take what he can get, and could bring a little more experience to guide DT and Decker.

There is no way that a top-tier WR will even consider an offer from the Broncos.

Comment

However, (as we have all seen) the reality of trying to entice, motivate and keep that talent is a different story.

What exactly have we seen? Brandon Lloyd wanting to leave? Because his butt-buddy Orton got the hook? This is all message board/espn driven garbage. Has even one receiver from somewhere else been quoted as saying they wouldn't come to denver for any reason whatsoever?

Look, I know being a bunch of chicken littles is fun, but why not enjoy the first playoff win in a while and wait for something to actually happen before predicting it.

I am quite certain ol' picket fence teeth has no problem telling interested free agent receivers that Tebow won't be the starter for long so they have little to worry about.

By the way, which top tier receiver besides Randy Moss (who was radioactive at the time) have the Patriots signed during their run?

Hell, for that matter, which top tier receivers have moved around the league and performed at a high level from one team to the next?
                      Last edited by TheThreeAmigos; 02-10-2012, 10:31 AM.
                      "A 'W' is a 'W' and it doesn't matter how you get it. If you win ugly, it's still a 'W.' Mechanics don't play the game, people do." -Floyd Little

Comment

Originally posted by TheThreeAmigos View Post
                        Has even one receiver from somewhere else been quoted as saying they wouldn't come to denver for any reason whatsoever?
                        Why would any receiver need to say anything like that?

I am quite certain ol' picket fence teeth has no problem telling interested free agent receivers that Tebow won't be the starter for long so they have little to worry about.
                        Not sure how insulting the greatest player to ever wear a Broncos uniform who has shown a solid grasp of how to fix the problems that plagued this team for years helps your cause on a Broncos message board, but "free speech" and all...

By the way, which top tier receiver besides Randy Moss (who was radioactive at the time) have the Patriots signed during their run?
                        The Patriots have a highly efficient, consistent offensive scheme run by one of the best QBs in the game today who consistently delivers the ball accurately and on-time...they (like the Colts with Manning, the Saints with Brees, or the Packers with Rodgers) can succeed with less-than-elite WR talent. The Broncos do not have any of the above mentioned parts of an offense. The implied comparison is moot.

Hell, for that matter, which top tier receivers have moved around the league and performed at a high level from one team to the next?
                        True top-tier receivers don't generally move around because teams rightfully hold on to them when they come around. T.O. is one who did pretty well with several different teams (800+ with the Bills, 900+ with the Bengals...not to mention his numbers in Philly and Dallas...). You could also make the case that guys like Calvin Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, and Steve Smith (CAR) have been elite despite having numerous different (and sometimes awful) QBs throwing them the ball...which is almost the same as going to another team.

I think you're implying that the Broncos don't need to pursue a top-tier WR, which I would agree with, but not for these fairly weak reasons. I think they can better spend their money on impact players who will see far more opportunities to make a difference than a WR will until Tebow proves he can be a consistent passer. The reality is that the current offense and current QB are not enticing to a WR who wants to be the #1 and catch a lot of passes.

Comment

Originally posted by TheThreeAmigos View Post
                          What exactly have we seen? Brandon Lloyd wanting to leave? Because his butt-buddy Orton got the hook? This is all message board/espn driven garbage. Has even one receiver from somewhere else been quoted as saying they wouldn't come to denver for any reason whatsoever?

Look, I know being a bunch of chicken littles is fun, but why not enjoy the first playoff win in a while and wait for something to actually happen before predicting it.

Patron … I do not know who pulled your huevos (and tied them in a knot over this) – but it was stated as a legit question – NOT A KNOCK ON TEBOW!

If you will kindly recall BOTH Brandons left because they did not feel they were going to get the ball thrown to them enough. I have no idea what kind of “buddies” (your cute childish term) they were with their quarterbacks. However, the FACT remains they are both gone!

I am quite certain ol' picket fence teeth is way better at evaluating. motivating and keeping NFL talent than you are. (Look at the numbar of times he restuctured his contract to do so!) By the way, ol’ picket fence teeth SR. (Jack Elway) was not only the Stanford’s college coach but also a talent scout for OUR Denver Broncos during the glory years. (As well as raising and mentoring one of the best – if not the best - NFL players that ever played the game at any position!)

"By the way, which top tier receiver besides Randy Moss (who was radioactive at the time) have the Patriots signed during their run?" Okay ... remind me again ... what team do both T.O. and Ocho play for?
                          Last edited by kevlar441; 02-11-2012, 02:37 AM.

Comment

Patron … I do not know who pulled your huevos (and tied them in a knot over this) – but it was stated as a legit question – NOT A KNOCK ON TEBOW!

If you will kindly recall BOTH Brandons left because they did not feel they were going to get the ball thrown to them enough. I have no idea what kind of “buddies” (your cute childish term) they were with their quarterbacks. However, the FACT remains they are both gone!

I am quite certain ol' picket fence teeth is way better at evaluating. motivating and keeping NFL talent than you are. (Look at the numbar of times he restuctured his contract to do so!) By the way, ol’ picket fence teeth SR. (Jack Elway) was not only the Stanford’s college coach but also a talent scout for OUR Denver Broncos during the glory years. (As well as raising and mentoring one of the best – if not the best - NFL players that ever played the game at any position!)

"By the way, which top tier receiver besides Randy Moss (who was radioactive at the time) have the Patriots signed during their run?" Okay ... remind me again ... what team do both T.O. and Ocho play for?
                            TO plays for some city flag football team, and Ocho will likely join him soon.

I will give you T.O......but you seriously want to throw Ochocinco in there? As top tier? How about reading the rest of my question....which said "produced equally well with a second team". T.O. did in philly, but certainly did not put up great numbers in Buffalo. As for Ocho, he is less than a shadow of his former self in NE.

As for Elway and his job so far, show me where i said anything critical of the job he has done. And yes, his teeth are notoriously huge.....and i am not ashamed that I do not worship John Elway the front office newbie. Has he done well so far, it would seem, but the story on his second (or third is more accurate) career is a long way from written.

Both Brandons left for very different reasons. Marshall was shown the door by McDaniels to make this team more in the mold of what Josh wanted. Lloyd was traded because of his rumored allegiance to Orton (yeah, his butt buddy).

And who cares what Jack Elway did, that means exactly what concerning John Elway's front office talent? Exactly nothing. does it mean he has had a decent amount of exposure to someone who has been successful at their job, yes, admittedly so but this isn't an area that lends itself genetically to being predisposed for success or failure. Was a Elway a great QB, yes, is he a great car salesman, yes.....is he an accomplished NFL football front office guy/talent evaluator/qb guru.....that would be an honest NO...but with the caveat of "as of right now". That is called objectivity.

the point of my post is that it has been stated here, ad nauseum that offensive players wont come to denver because of: a. QB b. Offensive Scheme....which is bs. Your example T.O. went to buffalo....and no one wants to go to buffalo....not to mention how pathetic that team and that offense has been for the last decade. So your example proves my point. Unless you think players were lining up to play with Trent Edwards.....

Geez, thin skinned much?
                            Last edited by TheThreeAmigos; 02-11-2012, 05:57 AM.
                            "A 'W' is a 'W' and it doesn't matter how you get it. If you win ugly, it's still a 'W.' Mechanics don't play the game, people do." -Floyd Little

Comment

Working...
                            X