Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brady Quinn on Tebow (out of context)

Edited by staff:

This thread was started earlier this morning in response to a Michael Silver article that Brady Quinn has subsequently stated he was very displeased with because his remarks were taken so wildly out of context.

Michael Silver has stated that he will write a Yahoo sports column clarifying that Brady Quinn did not intend to take swipes at Tebow later this week.

That's right, in a thoroughly reported feature by Yahoo! Sports NFL writer Michael Silver in the March issue of GQ, one of the Tebow critics is actually fellow Denver Broncos quarterback Brady Quinn.

And it's not just one subtle jab, either. Early in his piece, Silver gets Quinn talking about how Tebow got promoted to starte

"Early in the season, there was a game when Kyle [Orton] got hurt and the coaches were calling for me to go in, but Kyle got up and finished the game out. So I was the second-string guy. Then, a few weeks later, they decided to put Tim in. I felt like the fans had a lot to do with that. Just ’cause they were chanting his name. There was a big calling for him. No, I didn't have any billboards. That would have been nice."

Silver continues on with an oral history of the season, sprinkling in choice quotes from the likes of Kurt Warner (who compares Tebow to a character in the Bible) and Suggs (who calls Tebow "terrible").

Then it's back to Quinn, who demystifies Tebow's late-game prowess:

"The entire game, the defensive line is chasing the quarterback around, and that wears down the pass rush. Meanwhile, the defensive backs are chasing receivers, but you only throw eight passes, so they start to feel lazy. It only takes that one play, that one big pass, for a touchdown."

To be sure, others in the story feel similarly. Merriman, of the Bills, tells Silver, "His teammates are making him look a lot better than he is." Suggs, of the Ravens, says, "No matter how many bad games Tim Tebow is gonna have, it’s 'He’s great.' I'll never understand it."

But the most glaring quotes -- though not the most hard-hitting -- come from Quinn.

In one passage, Broncos star linebacker Von Miller gives credit to the team -- "I mean, you could just see our team's resiliency in action. Nobody was giving up" -- and then Quinn offers a different reason for the Broncos' surge: "We’ve had a lot of, I guess, luck, to put it simply."

Now, Quinn isn't saying anything that hasn't been thought by pretty much everyone. Tebow didn't win football games with dominance or cunning. It's hard to pin his leadership on anything other than his all-world will and, as Warner suggests, "divine intervention." But in this story we have everyone in the Broncos organization, from coach John Fox to president John Elway to Miller, saying all the right things. Then there's the backup quarterback, Brady Quinn.

And not everything Quinn says is about football. The former Notre Dame star also questions how Tebow prays.

"If you look at it as a whole," he tells Silver, "there's a lot of things that just don't seem very humble to me. When I get that opportunity, I'll continue to lead not necessarily by trying to get in front of the camera and praying but by praying with my teammates, you know?"

Will Quinn get that opportunity? Fox says he wants two new quarterbacks to contend for the top job in Denver in the fall. So despite leading his team to a playoff victory, Tebow will have plenty of headwinds when training camp opens.

And it's likely not all of the doubters will be outside the Broncos complex.
    Well hello Brady Quinn. Didn't really expect that from you
    Last edited by Alastor; 02-21-2012, 05:16 PM. Reason: To add some context.

So Brady, you're saying Tebow is trying to purposely draw attention to himself by purposely kneeling right infront of a camera?

What an --- Quinn is...
    Denver Broncos
    New York Yankees
    New York Knicks
    Colorado Avalanche

sigpic

Comment

Tebow prays on the sidelines and the camera runs to him to film him.

How is that praying in front of the camera on purpose, Brady? Seriously?

I honestly always liked BQ. I understand being upset that fans clamored for Tebow, that's fine. Blast the way he plays, that's fine. Calling him out for praying when he's on your own team and Quinn himself is a devout christian? That's dumb.
      Last edited by COBronc78; 02-21-2012, 07:43 AM.

Comment

Well.....

Okay...

Comment

Originally posted by COBronc78 View Post
          Tebow prays on the sidelines and the camera runs to him to film him.

How is that praying in front of the camera on purpose, Brady? Seriously?

I honestly always liked BQ. I understand being upset that fans clamored for Tebow, that's fine. Blast the way he plays, that's fine. Calling him out for praying when he's on your own team and Quinn himself is a devout christian? That's dumb.
          I agree. Maybe Quinn is just a little jealous that Tebow is getting a ton of attention and he isnt getting any.
          Denver Broncos
          New York Yankees
          New York Knicks
          Colorado Avalanche

sigpic

Comment

Someone got bit by the green-eyed monster...

Comment

http://images.cheezburger.com/comple...fab121b3d6.jpg
              Decimating the competition, leaving in the wake a blind ambition.

elecshoc
              You will be for ever known as the truth see-er

Comment

So Miller attributes the success to the resilience of the team and Quinn to luck. I think in his attempt to throw Tebow under the bus he just pitched the whole team under the bus.
                sigpic

Comment

Quinn knows he's not coming back, so it's ok to fire shots in his mind. He stayed quiet before on the off chance he could be put in a game.

elecshoc

Comment

Can we all agree that:

1. Quinn knows more about playing football than anyone on the board.
                    2. Quinn actually was on the field watching the games unfold.
                    3. Quinn has the right to have an opinion and express it.

Whether he is jealous or not..only he knows that.

I just don't understand the few people on here that get so upset anytime anyone doesn't fawn all over Tebow.

I tell you right now LUCK had a lot to do with the season. LUCK has a lot to do with everyones season. Patriots were lucky (maybe) that the Ravens kicker shanked the ball. The Giants were lucky Gronkowski wasnt 6 inches closer to the final ball thrown in the SB. The broncos were lucky when whats his name from chicago didnt just fall down in bounds.

You need some luck to win sometimes. Dropped INT's, onside kick recoveries etc...
                    Family, country, rugby, football

I posted in the epic Peyton's NeckBones thread and all I got was this lousy T-Shirt!

Comment

Barber was knocked out of bounds fwiw, but yes luck plays a big part in every game of every season.

elecshoc

Comment

Originally posted by Oilersfan34 View Post
                        Can we all agree that:

I just don't understand the few people on here that get so upset anytime anyone doesn't fawn all over Tebow.

I tell you right now LUCK had a lot to do with the season. LUCK has a lot to do with everyones season. Patriots were lucky (maybe) that the Ravens kicker shanked the ball. The Giants were lucky Gronkowski wasnt 6 inches closer to the final ball thrown in the SB. The broncos were lucky when whats his name from chicago didnt just fall down in bounds.

You need some luck to win sometimes. Dropped INT's, onside kick recoveries etc...
                        It's not as much that as the fact that Quinn would actually say that publicly. That's pretty bad of a teammate to say and shows just how selfish he was...
                        Administrator

sigpic

Comment

I'm not religious, but I think it's pretty low to go after someone on that level. The poster above said people will write this off as jealousy or sour grapes, in a way that suggested its not. Funny though you say it, because it obviously is jealousy. It doesn't take a shrink to figure that out. If I were Quinn I'd be jealous too. People expected a lot from Quinn when he came out, and sadly for him things didn't work out. He's only human I really don't blame him for having sour grapes. That being said he would've been wise not to say any of this. While I sympathize with why he feels that way, it doesn't show him in the best light.
                          "This guy here is 250 pounds of concrete cyanide, man. And he can throw. He throws well enough at any level to play quarterback."

Jon Gruden on Tim Tebow

Comment

Quinn is right about most of this .... but Tebow homers will not even attempt to see it. He got the chance to start stolen out of his hands for two years in a row because of how popular Tebow is. The whole camera thing is overblown, but a lot of what Quinn said is the truth.

Comment

Originally posted by Oilersfan34 View Post
                              Can we all agree that:

You could say the same 3 things about Von Miller, and he had a completely different take.

Quinn has every right to say those things, and we have every right to feel he is being a whiny you know what for doing so.

And Luck plays a part in every game. You don't get to the divisional round of the playoffs purely off of luck. If "luck" consitently keeps going your way, then it's not just "luck".

No one has to "Fawn" all over Tebow. But sour grapes are rarely well received.

Comment

Working...
                              X