X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fox updates on Knowshon and Quinn. Also Goodman my be a cap casuality

Just some flashes I saw while surfing Pro-Football Reference.com

http://www.kffl.com/gnews.php?id=770...-injury-update

Denver Broncos head coach John Fox said Thursday, Feb. 23, that RB Knowshon Moreno's (knee) rehab has been going well. "He's had a great rehab. (Steve) 'Greek' (Antonopulos), our trainer, does a great job. I see Knowshon in there just about every day down in rehab, so it's coming along quite nicely," Fox said.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/gnews.php?id=770...#ixzz1nE1S57Os
    http://www.kffl.com/gnews.php?id=770...d-still-return
    Denver Broncos head coach John Fox said Thursday, Feb. 23, that impending free-agent QB Brady Quinn did not hurt his chances of returning in 2012 after comments he made regarding QB Tim Tebow. "No. Like I said, I know their relationship. I know (Quinn) was a great teammate and I know Tim knows that. We still like Brady Quinn," Fox said.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/gnews.php?id=770...#ixzz1nE1fE4pA

http://www.kffl.com/gnews.php?id=769...y-cap-casualty

Denver Broncos CB Andre' Goodman might be a salary cap casualty. He is 33 and teamed with CB Champ Bailey to form the NFL's oldest starting cornerback duo in 2011.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/gnews.php?id=769...#ixzz1nE27GRFq

http://www.kffl.com/team/15/nfl/denver-broncos
    DenverBroncos.com - #Broncos Head Coach John Fox met the press at the NFL Combine this AM. Check http://t.co/dySdlXPv for more coverage. http://t.co/IJynPi28 02-23

DenverBroncos.com - RT @gray_dbdotcom: Fox just said Eric Decker is healthy and ventured that if the Broncos had made the Super Bowl, Decker could have played. 02-23

DenverBroncos.com - Fox: "The reality is Tim (Tebow) is ... a young player at a position that takes some time. ... we're in the middle of that process." 02-23

DenverBroncos.com - Fox: "We're going to be doing everything we can to get better. Having a stable of running backs is important. I believe in that." 02-23

DenverBroncos.com - Fox: "We definitely took a step (in 2011). We're not done yet. ... We're moving in the right direction and we have bigger steps to take." 02-23

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/team/15/nfl/denv...#ixzz1nE34wADS
    Full ESPN read
    http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post...nvers-john-fox
    By Bill Williamson
    Denver coach John Fox spoke to the media Thursday at the NFL combine. Let’s look at the highlights of his session:

Fox downplayed the comments free-agent backup quarterback Brady Quinn made about starting quarterback Tim Tebow. In an interview with GQ, Quinn questioned Tebow’s impact on the team’s success, among other things. Quinn questioned the context in which his quotes were used and he has apologized to Tebow.

Fox said Quinn and Tebow have a close relationship and he is not worried about the impact of the comments. He said the comments may have been “lost in translation” and he was pleased Quinn apologized to Tebow.

Asked if the comments would lessen Quinn’s chances of returning to Denver, Fox said, “We still like Brady Quinn."

Still, the odds of Quinn coming back to Denver may not be great. Denver will look at other options in addition to Quinn. Fox declined to say what type of quarterback Denver will look for. It could opt for a mobile quarterback like Tebow or it could bring in a more traditional quarterback.

Fox did have praise for Tebow. “We’re very comfortable with Tim,” Fox said. “He did turn us from a 4-12 team to a playoff team.”

Asked about dealing with Tebow-mania last season, Fox said he didn’t really feel it until the season was over because he was so fixed on the happenings of the season.

“I think it’s a great story and I think he’s a kid that ought to be celebrated,” Fox said. “In today’s society ... these types of guys don’t come around very often. So, I think it’s kind of neat.”

Fox said the Broncos’ defense would have continued to evolve even if 2011 defensive coordinator Dennis Allen wouldn’t have left to become the head coach of the Raiders. Former Jacksonville head coach Jack Del Rio (who was Fox’s coordinator in Carolina in 2002) was hired as Allen's replacement. Fox said the defense is a work in progress and more sets, alignments and schemes will be put in.

Translation: This is Fox’s defense, and his system will be implemented regardless of who the coordinator is. That’s why I think the fact that Denver is on its seventh defensive coordinator is seven years is overblown. It’s Fox’s second season in Denver and that’s what is important.

Fox wouldn’t say what the Broncos’ plan at running back is, but he made it clear having a “stable” of running backs is important. Expect Denver to address the position either in free agency or early in the draft.

Fox said he expects linebacker Von Miller -- who won the NFL Defensive of Rookie of the Year -- to continue to “get better and better in every phase” as his career goes on. It’s clear Fox views Miller, the No. 2 overall pick last year, as the centerpiece of the improving defense.

NOTE: Fox was the first AFC West official to speak to the media on Thursday. Over the course of the next few days, Kansas City’s Scott Pioli and Romeo Crenel, Allen and Denver’s John Elway are expected to speak to the media. We will have coverage of all of the sessions.
    Last edited by flosstein; 02-23-2012, 09:32 AM. Reason: added ESPN read
    #swapping

Thanks for the info, although nothing I didn't know.

Its worth keeping Moreno as he is cheap and a good 3rd down back.

I would love to keep BQ as a back-up, just depends if BQ wants to stay or seek out a possible starting job.

Goodman could easily be a cap cut. He is due to make over 4 mil on the cap next season and was not great, as well as ageing.

Comment

Let me preface this by saying I think Quinn is about as much a fail as there has ever been at QB, worse than Kubes.

Quinn keeping his mouth shut and staying here could be the best thing for him. He's 3 years in the system and if he would just calm down and watch learn he can find some good value for himself. Tebow is gonna take some bumps and bruises, so he'll get his shot to play. He's not gonna start anywhere in the league and in most cases he'll be an inactive 3rd guy. This is honestly the best place for him to at least get some game time. Even if only for a week. Where's he gonna go? He's not beating out Cassell, Gabbert, Moore/Flynn, Luck, RGIII, Ponder, Kolb, or even Jackson. And going back to Cleveland is not gonna happen. I say, sign a new reasonable backup contract, settle in, buy a home, get a clipboard, and help guide the Tebow train so u can have a SB ring to show your Grand kids.
      #swapping

Comment

I'd be glad to see goodman cut. I'm sick of watching QBs pick on him all day. We have 3 young corners in Squid, Harris, and Vaughn. If we draft another good corner we will be fine without Goody.

Comment

Originally posted by InElwayWeTrust View Post
          I'd be glad to see goodman cut. I'm sick of watching QBs pick on him all day. We have 3 young corners in Squid, Harris, and Vaughn. If we draft another good corner we will be fine without Goody.
          Agreed. I don't care why he gets cut, just that it happens!

Comment

I hope Moreno is kept and actually has a good year. He is set up to make comeback player of the year. He has that potential.
            Jacksonville Jaguars Broncomania GM:

Comment

Like a previous poster said, keep Moreno wouldn't be a bad deal.

Wasn't his contract front-loaded anyway?

For 3rd down situations, he's perfect. Better than McGahee, and likely better than anyone we could draft in the screen/passing game.

He's not an every down back...I think his injuries prove that. But he's good enough in the open field and has the moves to yet that YAC in the short passing game we've been missing. I like the kid.

That said, I still hope we draft a well-rounded RB in the draft. Someone like LT - not great at any one thing, but good at everything.

Comment

Not sure if Quinn comes back.

Knowshon, he only makes 850K next year, so not like he hurts the cap all that much.

I don't think Goody is as bad as some think but we need to get younger at that spot.

Something like Champ, Draft pick/FA, Harris, Syd, Vaughn wouldn't be too bad next year at CB.

Comment

This has to be Moreno's last chance. With Tebow impacting the run game, he'd be smart to take advantage.

Goodman has been clutch (believe it or not) but he is expendable due to age and poor run support

Quinn would be better off elsewhere. Fans wouldn't want him starting over Tebow based on the fact that's he hasn't been very productive throughout his career. They'd go nuts. Better to just bring in a rookie

Comment

“We’re very comfortable with Tim,” Fox said. “He did turn us from a 4-12 team to a playoff team.”
                    Fox is obviously a mindless Tebow fanatic who gives all the credit to Tim and none to the team.

Comment

I tend to like Brady Quinn more than most, but I don't see him coming back to Denver next season. He still thinks he can be a starter in the NFL, and will likely try to land somewhere without an incumbent starter where he can truly compete for the job in camp. He probably doesn't get that chance with the Broncos, at least not right away.

I also just don't think he's a great fit for the offense right now. I expect that the offensive playbook will open up a bit more this season, but you still want somebody as close as possible to Tebow's skill set to be the backup. Even if the plays don't need to change, it gets tough for the blockers if they're used to blocking for a mobile running threat and then they need to switch it up for a pocket passer. I think there are better fits than Quinn for the backup QB in this offense right now in free agency (Josh Johnson comes to mind).

Comment

Originally posted by PhoenixDread View Post
                        Goodman has been clutch (believe it or not) but he is expendable due to age and poor run support
                        You're right, Goodman has been clutch and has made some big plays when it counted most. The problem is that in other situations he's a liability and gets beat way more than you want to see in a starting NFL cornerback, especially for the contract amount he represents. Inconsistent pass coverage plus poor run support does not justify a $4,000,000 cap hit.

Also, given Goodman's age, he's going to decline each year; he's certainly not going to get any better. Combine that with the fact that this team desperately needs an infusion of young talent at CB (to be groomed by Champ, if nothing else), and Goodman should probably be replaced by younger CBs with potential.

Comment

Goodie is by no means terrible like some portray...but he really regressed last year...two years ago he was a great cover cb imo ...but last year he just lost that real tight coverage ability he had before ...Also Allen's scheme sometimes did that to both he and Champ ...Allen really wasn't all that good ..

Anyhow bottom line, yes Goodie should be replaced (unless he'll take reduced salary, very reduced) cuz if he would stay for cheap I say keep em and let he, another cb via draft/FA, and Vaughn duke it out for the other outside cb spot ...I like Harris at nickel (let Squid or draft pick) compete with him there but I don't want Thompson on the outside at 5'9

I like FA or Rookie/Vaughn/Goodie competition for outside spot

Harris/Squid/rookie battle at nickel going into camp

Comment

Originally posted by MileHighInNY View Post
                            I also just don't think he's a great fit for the offense right now. I expect that the offensive playbook will open up a bit more this season, but you still want somebody as close as possible to Tebow's skill set to be the backup.
                            That makes sense, but I really don't think the Broncos will worry too much about whether the backups are as close as possible to Tebow's skill set.

Instead, they will seek to run a more traditional offense, that any good QB can run. It's Tebow who will have to augment his skill set in order to fit the offense they really want to run.

Comment

lol at Brady Quinn. You can't hurt your chances at being re-signed if they were zero in the first place.

Comment

Working...
                              X