No announcement yet.

Mario Fannin news

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like Mario Fannin, but he is overrated on this forum. He is Tatum Bell with more size to get tough yards. Despite his speed, his agility and ability to change the direction is lacking. His balance is subpar as well. Do I think he can be a valuable role player who breaks off huge gains and an asset in the passing game? Absolutely. I still think the team must invest in a more durable and dependable/versatile runner to pair with McGahee.

Comment

If we draft a RB in the first 2 rounds, that'll dispel the notion that we expect anything from Fannin (let alone "big things").

I'm thinking if our DT isn't there at #25, if that's Cox, Poe, Worthy, Still, Reyes or Brockers, then the next obvious direction is a CB/LB who might have fallen in the draft (Kirkpatrick, Upshaw) or an interior OL (Konz, Glenn).

I believe aside from DT, RB is the next biggest need. If the coaches feel that's so, then Doug Martin or David Wilson suddenly becomes a reasonable option in the first round. Most likely, the sort of CB/LB prospect that would be worthy as a first round pick probably wont still be there at #25.

So, if our DT isn't there we have 3 choices: reach for another DT, bring in an OC/OG, or get our rb.

Martin & Wilson will not last to us in the 2nd round. I don't believe the value with our 2nd round pick (based on big boards) will be a RB.

In other words, if we dont take Martin or Wilson in the first round, then that'll give some credence to this report. In that scenario, most likely we take a RBin the 3-4 round, and let him compete with Fannin, Johnson, Ball to be our #2 rb behind McGahee.

However, based on Martin's ability to be a factor in the passing game (picking up blitzes and catching ball out of backfield), & Wilson's ability to gain yards after contact & run inside... I'm thinking it might be tough for EFX to pass on a one of these 2 prospects.

Comment

Originally posted by ERoyal248 View Post
        Knowshon is deadly in open space, and pretty good as a 3rd down back as a blocker.

Was he worth the 12th overall pick, probably not, but he's still a valuable player to this football team. He only makes 850K next year, so not like he would hurt the salary cap.

If he's healthy, there is no question he should be on the team.
        It was absolutely foolish to pass on Orakpo for Moreno. A top talent slipped and fell right in our laps... a PASS RUSHING defensive player on top of that! Our defense was terrible and we had a roster void of much talent, and so Mcdaniels goes out and reached for a player he had to have (he did this often).

Moreno came up small in big games in college, and Mccoy was definitely the better prospect. I realize when you brought Orton in that made getting a RB a must... But you don't draft on need when you're a bad team. You take Orakpo. Especially when you had another first round pick (instead of Ayers wecould have then taken Clay Matthews or Alex Mack). Then, trade up in the 2nd round like they did but instead of taking A-Smit, draft L-Mccoy.

That 2009 draft was a disaster and it all started when we passed on Orakpo for Moreno.

Imagine if we take Orakpo (LB), Mack (OC), Mccoy (RB), Levitre (OG), Wallace (WR) instead of Moreno, Ayers, Smith, Mcbath & Quinn.

Look at all the pro bowlers we passed on b/c we reached for players on Mcdaniel's 'small board.' Funny thing: of all the picks we got from CHI in the Cutler trade, the only draft chocie to make a PRO BOWL, was the 5th round pick we sent to the Bears (J-Knox), along with the one of the picks we sent to PIT to jump up for Quinn (Wallace).

NICE!

Comment

What I can't understand is how people are judging Fannin and labeling him already when they haven't seen him take a snap in the NFL. It's ridiculous

Comment

Originally posted by Brohemoth View Post
            I like Mario Fannin, but he is overrated on this forum. He is Tatum Bell with more size to get tough yards. Despite his speed, his agility and ability to change the direction is lacking. His balance is subpar as well. Do I think he can be a valuable role player who breaks off huge gains and an asset in the passing game? Absolutely. I still think the team must invest in a more durable and dependable/versatile runner to pair with McGahee.
            Nobody's balance is more sub-par than Moreno. I.. actually liked Tatum Bell. I guess I'm crazy... or maybe it was because the o-line was that good.
            RIP Darrent Williams.

Comment

Fannin has good balance and the ability to recover when he gets tripped up and I'm not sure why this was ever questioned. His biggest asset is pass catching ability out of the backfield as he has great hands and speed.

I liked what I saw of him in training camp and he was generating some buzz before he got injured. My expectations are low but he definitely has some potential to get some carries/catches this season.
              sigpic

Defense wins championships

Comment

Originally posted by DarkHorse26 View Post
                Fannin has good balance and the ability to recover when he gets tripped up and I'm not sure why this was ever questioned. His biggest asset is pass catching ability out of the backfield as he has great hands and speed.

I liked what I saw of him in training camp and he was generating some buzz before he got injured. My expectations are low but he definitely has some potential to get some carries/catches this season.
                What Fannin have you been watching? Because the one I watched for four years couldn't catch a pass to save his life. His biggest asset is speed alone. Everything is is being major overhyped on this board.

If those hands are so great why cant he hold onto the football?
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by xGIHavoc View Post
                  Nobody's balance is more sub-par than Moreno. I.. actually liked Tatum Bell. I guess I'm crazy... or maybe it was because the o-line was that good.
                  Tatum Bell was a better RB than Moreno. He might've been as soft as charmin tissue but if I could draft him vs Moreno, I'd go with Bell.

Comment

Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post
                    What Fannin have you been watching? Because the one I watched for four years couldn't catch a pass to save his life. His biggest asset is speed alone. Everything is is being major overhyped on this board.

First of all, you don't let a kid return kicks if he has bad hands.

- AU career leader in receptions and receiving yards by a running back
                    - 10th-place in AU career receptions (97)
                    - Has nine career receiving TD's, averaging 36.7 yards per scoring catch

Hell, he had 42 receptions in 2009. Maybe you have the kid confused with someone else or maybe it's because you live in Alabama ...

If you are referring to fumbles, he needs to learn to switch the ball to his outside arm but that can be beaten into him.
                    sigpic

Comment

Relax...

People hope for the next Arian Foster and Rod Smith, that's all. No reason to neg 'em for it...

Comment

Originally posted by DarkHorse26 View Post
                        First of all, you don't let a kid return kicks if he has bad hands.

- AU career leader in receptions and receiving yards by a running back
                        - 10th-place in AU career receptions (97)
                        - Has nine career receiving TD's, averaging 36.7 yards per scoring catch

Hell, he had 42 receptions in 2009. Maybe you have the kid confused with someone else or maybe it's because you live in Alabama ...

If you are referring to fumbles, he needs to learn to switch the ball to his outside arm but that can be beaten into him.
                        Excuse me? What the hell does that have to do with anything? You do know Auburn is in Alabama right? Or did you fail geography class. And if you think you made a clever joke on Alabama is that the best you have? I'm not even from Alabama you tool.

I know exactly who I'm talking about. I may have exaggerated a little bit about the receiving thing but the kid did not show up in big games. If you want to switch him to a slot receiver based on his speed fine but the kid is not that great as a RB. Hence why he went undrafted. But even then the kid still can't hold onto the football.

Way to base your argument off his play biography by the way.
                        sigpic

Comment

Excuse me? What the hell does that have to do with anything? You do know Auburn is in Alabama right? Or did you fail geography class. And if you think you made a clever joke on Alabama is that the best you have? I'm not even from Alabama you tool.
                          I'm well aware of where Auburn is located and the reference was implying that you might be a Crimson Tide fan. Tool, Really? Talk about the best you have ... Your reading comprehension must be lacking because I stated that you lived there and never mentioned being from there. I guess I could insert a clever joke about Alabama here but I will refrain.

I know exactly who I'm talking about. I may have exaggerated a little bit about the receiving thing but the kid did not show up in big games. If you want to switch him to a slot receiver based on his speed fine but the kid is not that great as a RB. Hence why he went undrafted. But even then the kid still can't hold onto the football.
                          The discussion was about his hands, not whether he shows up for big games or not. There is that reading comprehension thing again or would this classify as memory retention, I'm not sure ...

Way to base your argument off his play biography by the way.
                          How the hell else would I prove that he has good hands out of the backfield but through stats? By just giving you my unsubstantiated opinion like you did?
                          sigpic

Comment

His 10 min of highlights are mainly of him playing WR ...sooo his hands can't be too bad

Ppl that supposedly watch the Broncos say some pretty absurd things about our players too

N fumbling issues have nothing to do with pass catching ability

Comment

Originally posted by fraguela09 View Post
                              If we draft a RB in the first 2 rounds, that'll dispel the notion that we expect anything from Fannin (let alone "big things").
                              (some snipped for brevity)

I think much of it depends on how we are drafting this year. If we are drafting by need, then you are right. If we are drafting best player available, it's quite possible we take what we consider the best RB on the board at that time.

What EFX look like they are doing, IMO, is trying to get impact players and the position only partially matters.
                              You Tell 'em Justice is coming. You tell 'em I'M coming!sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by the0rangecrush View Post
                                Not saying it won't happen, but the fact that we are considering a RB very early, does not bode well for Fannin.
                                I think the fact we are considering drafting another RB does not bode well for Moreno. He has proved he can't do it. If we draft someone like Doug Martin or someone similar, I think Moreno will be the odd man out.

Comment

Working...
                                X