Stokley Looking to Seize Opportunity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stokley Looking to Seize Opportunity

Brandon Stokley knew he had more in him.

Since his last stint with the Broncos, he spent time with the Seattle Seahawks in 2010 and New York Giants in 2011, playing in just two games last season before suffering an injury.

But the 14th-year veteran didn’t contemplate retirement.

“I wasn’t really ready to be done — I still feel like I can play,” he said. “For me, it was just all about trying to get that opportunity somewhere.”

The Broncos provided that opportunity, and it’s one Stokley won’t take for granted.

Not only does he get a chance to prove he still has it, but his return to the Broncos means a reunion with a former teammate — quarterback Peyton Manning.

“I didn’t ever think I would have another chance to play with him,” Stokley said. “When you’re there (in Indianapolis), I was there with him for four years. I don’t want to say you kind of take him for granted, but then you move on and you kind of realize what you had. You kind of always hope that you’ll get that chance again. For me, it’s been great. To me, I think he’s the best to ever play the position. So to have another chance to play with somebody like that is pretty special.”

Stokley and Manning were together in Indianapolis from 2003 to 2006 before the receiver headed to Denver in 2007.

Stokley said he doesn’t see much difference in the way Manning is delivering the ball now than when he was in Indianapolis — something that he believes will benefit everyone on the team, but Eric Decker and Demaryius Thomas in particular.

“The last time I saw them, they were both rookies, young pups,” Stokley said. “Now you can definitely tell that they’ve both grown up and have taken on the leadership role. It is their receiver group, it’s their chance to do something special. They’re playing with a guy that can get them the ball. I’ve seen him help a lot of people’s careers. I think he can do that for both of those guys.”

Stokley said he is healthy and feels “100 percent.” Now he’s focused on being a Bronco again.

“It’s great,” he said. “I’m having a blast, just enjoying the moment. I’m glad to have a chance to play football again.”

http://blog.denverbroncos.com/denver...e-opportunity/

I've always liked Stokley, best of luck to him!
    sigpic

Comment

I’m rooting for him, but it’s going to be hard, very hard for him to make the team
      Go Broncos!!! My Prediction: 11-5 (2015/16)

Comment

People on here believe he will fail, I have faith in him, Peyton has faith in him, and he has faith in his self.

Do work Stokley, make the final roster, prove the naysayers wrong. The slot machine never dies out.
        sigpic
        Adopted Broncos:
        EmmanuelSanders

Comment

I believe Thomas and Decker will be kept out of special teams. They'll be really busy on offense. I don't know if it's common to have 3 WRs that don't contribute on special teams. Stokley will probably have to be a key piece of the offense to make the final roster. Can he beat the other players and be the main slot receiver with a strong preseason? If he is the 4th or 5th WR on the bench, not playing on special teams... I think he will be released. Maybe Manning will be upset if Stokley does not make the final roster. Maybe Osweiler will be upset if Robinson does not make the final roster. The NFL is a business.
          sigpic

Comment

I love Stokley. I think he has an advantage on the other recievers just in his knowledge of how Peyton Manning works. This may be just the edge he needs to step in to that third reciever slot.

Come On Stoks....... I am rooting for ya.......
            sigpic
            Samparnell - Adopted Coach & Mentor
            2016 Adopted Bronco - Derek Wolfe
            2014 Adopted Bronco - DeMarcus Ware - 2015 Adopted Bronco - Von Miller

Comment

I think Stokley is gonna preform in camp like it's his draft pro day. He will be lights out and trying harder than any wide out on the team to get the 3rd spot.
              sigpic
              Adopted Broncos:
              EmmanuelSanders

Comment

Originally posted by Roddoliver View Post
                I believe Thomas and Decker will be kept out of special teams. They'll be really busy on offense. I don't know if it's common to have 3 WRs that don't contribute on special teams. Stokley will probably have to be a key piece of the offense to make the final roster. Can he beat the other players and be the main slot receiver with a strong preseason? If he is the 4th or 5th WR on the bench, not playing on special teams... I think he will be released. Maybe Manning will be upset if Stokley does not make the final roster. Maybe Osweiler will be upset if Robinson does not make the final roster. The NFL is a business.
                Never get the NFL is a business thing, it makes money but the football decisions are always to make your team better, thats all that counts and thats what brings in money. Hence why the Jags don't have Tebow. They would sell out but won't be any better.

Osweiler won't have a say in what happens to Robinson, an UDFA.

Manning will have an input but Fox and Elway run this team, no one else.

Comment

Originally posted by bronx_2003 View Post
                  Never get the NFL is a business thing, it makes money but the football decisions are always to make your team better, thats all that counts and thats what brings in money.
                  Err...

NFL is a business = teams make what's best for them, without emotional attachments.

I'm not talking about money and tickets, I'm talking about performance over camaraderie.

Stokley is a great guy and he is Peyton Manning's friend, but the Broncos probably don't care. He'll have to perform at a high level to get a roster spot.

Originally posted by bronx_2003 View Post
                  Hence why the Jags don't have Tebow. They would sell out but won't be any better.
                  Hmmm... They tried to get Tebow, but lost to the Jets.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Roddoliver View Post
                    Err...

NFL is a business = teams make what's best for them, without emotional attachments.

I'm not talking about money and tickets, I'm talking about performance over camaraderie.

Stokley is a great guy and he is Peyton Manning's friend, but the Broncos probably don't care. He'll have to perform at a high level to get a roster spot.

Yeah, they will do whats best for the team whoever PM's or Brocks friends are, I agree

Hmmm... They tried to get Tebow, but lost to the Jets.
                    lol, they didn't try very hard though did they. They refused to better a mid 4th rounder

Comment

Originally posted by cmarquez View Post
                      I’m rooting for him, but it’s going to be hard, very hard for him to make the team
                      I disagree. Stokely will make the team easily. I have no doubt he still has game and the chemistry that he has with Manning is valuable. Even though he is old I don't see him having any problems beating out our current 3rd and 4th string receivers. Stokely was exceptional in the slot.

STOKES!!

Comment

Originally posted by jaytea11 View Post
                        I disagree. Stokely will make the team easily. I have no doubt he still has game and the chemistry that he has with Manning is valuable. Even though he is old I don't see him having any problems beating out our current 3rd and 4th string receivers. Stokely was exceptional in the slot.

STOKES!!
                        I think Stokley will make the team, but I think it's foolish to say it'd be easy. He'll have to work just as hard or harder like everyone else to make the team.

Having the level of chemistry he has with Manning gives him a edge over the other wide outs, but it wont guarantee him a roster spot.
                        sigpic
                        Adopted Broncos:
                        EmmanuelSanders

Comment

Stokely has several advantages... one will be teaching the other WRs how to work with Peyton. That's pretty invaluable.

If he can add onto that with some good performance, he should make the team.
                          Thanks, Reid!
                          sigpic
                          Click on my sig to read JetRazor's and my story. Or PM me with any questions.

Comment

If anything Stokley may be kept on as a receiver/coach to help the others. Can he still be productive? Sure, more productive than 3-4 of our other receivers? I'm not sure
                            sigpic
                            2012 Broncos Country Pick 'Em Challenge Champion

Comment

Originally posted by TH3JUICEMAN View Post
                              If anything Stokley may be kept on as a receiver/coach to help the others. Can he still be productive? Sure, more productive than 3-4 of our other receivers? I'm not sure
                              That's the thing, the argument isn't really if or should he make the team. Everybody knows he has to play 3rd in the wide out spot because he doesn't play ST. He'd have to above Caldwell, Willis, Page, Robinson, etc. People have a issue with him playing over younger faster players.

He has to be 3rd or he wont make the team.
                              sigpic
                              Adopted Broncos:
                              EmmanuelSanders

Comment

Working...
                              X