X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFL.com Draft Grades for the AFC West

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...P11_hot_topics

Denver Broncos: C+

John Elway and John Fox have enjoyed an outstanding offseason with the addition of Peyton Manning, but the Broncos entered the draft with significant needs on both sides of the ball. The team nabbed Derek Wolfe in the second round after a series of trades with the New England Patriots and Tampa Bay Buccaneers. The hard-working defensive tackle is a Day 1 starter as a three-technique and immediately fills a Broncos' void along the defensive line. The additional pick gained from the flurry of trade activity netted Omar Bolden, an athletic corner recovering from a torn ACL that cost him his senior season. Offensively, the Broncos gambled on a franchise quarterback of the future in Brock Osweiler and also took a dynamic change-of-pace runner in Ronnie Hillman. The collective potential of the group could solidify the Broncos' future for years, but the series of strategic gambles on questionable prospects could also burn them.

Best pick: Derek Wolfe, DT, Cincinnati (Round 2, 36th overall pick).
    As a blue-collar interior defender with size, strength and toughness, Wolfe fills a pressing need along the Broncos' defensive line.

Questionable pick: Brock Osweiler, QB, Arizona State (Round 2, 57).
    The Broncos were willing to invest a high pick in an unproven quarterback prospect with only 15 career starts at Arizona State and a quirky throwing motion. Osweiler certainly shows intriguing potential, but taking a flier on a developmental quarterback prospect prevented the Broncos from addressing a more pressing need.

Sleeper pick: Ronnie Hillman, RB, San Diego State (Round 3, 67).
    Hillman flew under the radar during most of the pre-draft process, but scouts view him as one of the most explosive change-of-pace backs in the draft. He brings a new dimension to the Broncos' backfield with his speed, quickness and receiving skills.

Kansas City Chiefs: A

Scott Pioli has rebuilt the Chiefs by deftly selecting productive, hard-working players in every stage of the draft. This year, Pioli appeared to deviate from the philosophy when he selected Dontari Poe in the first round, despite questions about his productivity at Memphis. However, it's impossible to find 346-pound defenders with this combination of size, strength and athleticism, so it's a worthwhile gamble with the unique upside. Jeff Allen, Donald Stephenson and Devon Wylie are classic "hard hat and lunch pail" guys with the potential to fill key roles as rookies. Cyrus Gray and DeQuan Menzie are promising Day 3 picks. Bottom line: This looks like another stellar class that should keep the team in contention in this division for the foreseeable future.

Best pick: Jeff Allen, T, Illinois (Round 2, 44).
    Allen is a versatile offensive lineman with the rare ability to play four positions along the line. He is in line to start at left guard, but could emerge as a swing player capable of filling any role.

Questionable pick: Dontari Poe, DT, Memphis (Round 1, 11).
    Poe experienced a meteoric rise up the charts after a sensational performance at the NFL Scouting Combine, but his questionable production on tape leads to concerns about his ability to develop into a dominant interior defender as a pro. As mentioned above, though, Poe's rare athleticism/power combination is quite enticing.

Sleeper pick: Devon Wylie, WR/KR, Fresno State (Round 4, 107).
    Some will attempt to label Wylie as a Wes Welker clone, based on his impressive skills as a slot receiver. He is an explosive playmaker with the ball in his hands and could add another dimension to the Chiefs' offense and kicking game.

Oakland Raiders: C

It's hard to give an accurate assessment of the Raiders' efforts due to their limited number of picks, but Reggie McKenzie attempted to fortify the depth on his roster with this initial draft class. Tony Bergstrom is a big, physical road grader with the potential to crack the starting lineup at guard. Miles Burris, Jack Crawford and Juron Criner will fight for playing time as backups, and their speed and athleticism could make them valuable contributors on the Raiders' kicking units, too.

Best pick: Tony Bergstrom, OT, Utah (Round 3, 95).
    As a big, physical blocker with a nasty demeanor, Bergstrom will add toughness to the Raiders' gritty offensive line. He will vie for a starting spot as a rookie and could be a long-term solution at a perennial problem area for the team.

Questionable pick: Miles Burris, OLB, San Diego State (Round 4, 129).
    This is a tough one, considering the Raiders' lack of picks, but an assignment's an assignment. Burris faces an uphill battle in grabbing a starting spot, but a role as a core special teamer is certainly not out of the question as a rookie.

Sleeper pick: Juron Criner, WR, Arizona (Round 5, 168).
    Criner took a surprising plunge down the charts, despite a very productive career at Arizona. He is a big, physical pass catcher with sneaky speed and quickness. He could thrive as a No. 3 receiver for the Raiders.

San Diego Chargers: B+

A.J. Smith and Norv Turner are under the gun to engineer a deep postseason run, and this urgency certainly affected the Chargers' draft plans. The team selected a number of players with the ability to make immediate contributions, particularly Melvin Ingram, Kendall Reyes and Brandon Taylor. This trio addresses San Diego's biggest defensive needs, while also providing the unit with versatile players capable of serving multiple roles in the game plan. The Chargers also provided Philip Rivers with a talented playmaker in Ladarius Green and a pair of frontline protectors (Johnnie Troutman and David Molk). Green, in particular, has the potential to become a true difference maker as a tall, lanky tight end with the speed and athleticism to create mismatches on the perimeter.

Best pick: Melvin Ingram, DE/OLB, South Carolina (Round 1, 18).
    The Chargers surprisingly landed the draft's most explosive pass rusher in Ingram. Critics downgraded him due to his sub-standard arm length, but he was a dominant player in the SEC and arguably the top rusher at the Senior Bowl. If he plays to that level in San Diego as a rookie, Smith will be grinning like a Cheshire cat in the fall.

Questionable pick: Johnnie Troutman, OG, Penn State (Round 5, 149).
    It's hard to question any of the Chargers' picks, but it was surprising to see the team fail to address the void created by Kris Dielman's retirement prior to the fifth round. Troutman is a gritty competitor with size and strength, but he could struggle stepping in for a perennial Pro Bowler on the interior.

Sleeper pick: Ladarius Green, TE, Louisiana-Lafayette (Round 4, 110).
    If you're looking for an unheralded rookie with big-time potential, cast your eyes on Green. While his slender frame makes him a liability as a run blocker, expect Turner to take advantage of his unique skills on the perimeter. The 6-foot-6, 238-pound playmaker can blow past linebackers in the passing game.

Adopted Broncos:
    (2011-2013) Eric Decker
    (2014-2018) Bradley Roby
    (2019-Current) Drew Lock
    Adopted posters:
    Everyone

I think the Chiefs sleeper pick is Hemingway not Wylie.
    I disagree with the grades, Denver is at max a B based on potential. Raiders D-.
    sigpic
    Adopted Broncos:
    EmmanuelSanders

Comment

Ladarius Green learning from Gates scares me a little ...

Wish we'd actually freakin use Thomas too

Agree with these grades for the most part ...Brock can make this draft an automatic A if he reaches his potential and Hillman is a nice addition ...hoping Wolfe pans out along with the rest but how we got worked on the trades still leaves a sour taste in my mouth

Comment

Originally posted by InsaneBlaze23 View Post
        I think the Chiefs sleeper pick is Hemingway not Wylie.
        I disagree with the grades, Denver is at max a B based on potential. Raiders D-.
        Wylie is nice n provides something they don't currently have ...Hemingway won't get playing time behind Bowe n Baldwin

I hate that they got Wylie

Comment

Originally posted by #24 Next Champ View Post
          Wylie is nice n provides something they don't currently have ...Hemingway won't get playing time behind Bowe n Baldwin

I hate that they got Wylie
          If he doesn't get play time, they might as well let him go to a team that can and will use him.
          sigpic
          Adopted Broncos:
          EmmanuelSanders

Comment

The problem with most draft grades that I see is that they are harsh on the Osweiler pick which significantly lowers their score. If Osweiler pans out, then their scores will be bunk. At this point, we won't know what we have in Osweiler for a few years - coaches will know some in training camp. But, take that pick and set it aside and I'm pretty satisfied with the other picks. We knew it was going to be a needs draft - nothing fancy or shocking. I am VERY excited about the Hillman pick. I think our draft grade could be a lot higher than what this grade is. Osweiler will really be the key to determining the historical significance though.

Comment

Draft Grades now are pretty pointless...

What did people grade last years draft?
              All in for Siemian!

Comment

I feel like KC had the worst draft. Reached HARDCORE on Poe.

Then they drafted how many WRs? They have Bowe (for now) drafted Baldiwn last year, they already have Breaston and McCluster.

Comment

They hate on the Brock pick like he is going to have to start right away. Denver addressed several needs in this draft and I love the players we took, can't wait till the game start and the NFL.com guys look foolish once again
                  sigpic

2013,2014, and 2015 Adopt a Bronco: Champ Bailey, Marvin Austin and Matt Paradis

Comment

Originally posted by AdamWeberOrBust View Post
                    Draft Grades now are pretty pointless...

What did people grade last years draft?
                    Totally agreed! Check out what Walterfootball.com had to say about our 2007 draft...

"Grade given on 5/1/07: A

Good Moves: Most of the analysts on the NFL Network seemed displeased with Denver's draft. I liked it. Denver needed to improve its offensive and defensive lines and they did just that, obtaining ends Jarvis Moss and Tim Crowder, offensive tackle Ryan Harris and defensive tackle Marcus Thomas. Thomas has character issues, but the Broncos used a fourth-round pick on him; not a first or second. Harris fits in well into Denver's zone-blocking scheme. Moss and Crowder will get to the quarterback.

Bad Moves: Denver didn't have to move up to get Moss. No one between 17 and 20 was going to take him."

Instant 2007 Starters: n/a
                    Potential 2007 Starters: DE Jarvis Moss, DE Tim Crowder, OT Ryan Harris, DT Marcus Thomas.
                    Other Picks: n/a

:brick::brick::brick:
                    sigpic

Comment

Warren Sapp gave us a D. It's pretty clear everyone but us thinks we muffed this draft. We'll have to see by the end of the year. I think we could've done a lot more with this one to win now, but that ship has sailed and sunk so whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by theMileHighGuy View Post
                        Warren Sapp gave us a D. It's pretty clear everyone but us thinks we muffed this draft. We'll have to see by the end of the year. I think we could've done a lot more with this one to win now, but that ship has sailed and sunk so whatever.
                        Based on the way Warren Sapp managed his money I don't think he should be criticizing anyone else on how they manage things.

Comment

Originally posted by theMileHighGuy View Post
                          It doesn't matter what they say at all. It has nothing to do with bias. There is reason and logic which explains us having a high grade oming out of this draft. It is easy to see. These guys who get asked to cover every team in the league have no great in depth understanding of every team. A lot of what they say doesn't make sense due to this. They just miss the little things. Like do you think the national media knows about Wesley Woodyard stepping in and playing well for DJ in 2011. DO you think they have understanding of how good Chris Harris was as the nickelback.

You can look at plenty of these gradings from these "experts". Look at superbowl nation last year. They gave drafting Von Miller at #2 a B+. Yet they gave Rahim Moore an A. As stupid as that was even before play on the field happened it is even worst after the on the field.

What these people have to say means jack you know what and people worrying about it is next to pointless.

And they gave the Cheifs an A. I know you are little bitter and angry at the front office for whatever reason but this article and analysis means nothing at all. We had a good draft.
                          Last edited by johnlimburg; 05-05-2012, 06:36 AM.

Comment

Osweiler had better be good in 4 years.
                            Hate List for 2016-2017 Season: 1. Oakland, 2. New England, 3. Kansas City, 4. Pittsburgh and 5. Houston (yes, Houston....)

Comment

Originally posted by Pruke View Post
                              Osweiler had better be good in 4 years.
                              Well people will act like it is some franchise set back if he doesn't pan out because he plays quarterback. Sure it sucks to miss on a high round pick like that but misses happen and over the past years our second rounds have been pretty bad. Rahim Moore, Alphonzo Smith, Darcel Mcbath, Richard Quinn etc. When you add them all up it sucks and is franchise back setting however the Osweiler pick if it turns into a miss is not a huge deal like some will make it to be.

Comment

Working...
                              X