Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NFL.com Draft Grades for the AFC West

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by johnlimburg View Post
    It doesn't matter what they say at all. It has nothing to do with bias. There is reason and logic which explains us having a high grade oming out of this draft. It is easy to see. These guys who get asked to cover every team in the league have no great in depth understanding of every team. A lot of what they say doesn't make sense due to this. They just miss the little things. Like do you think the national media knows about Wesley Woodyard stepping in and playing well for DJ in 2011. DO you think they have understanding of how good Chris Harris was as the nickelback.
    Legwold from the Denver Post gave a C+, that's about what I gave us, but the rest of the Denver Post writers weren't nearly as forgiving. And you know, they watch every Broncos game, too. Literally the only people in the world who think we had an A+ draft are sitting here, behind their computers. Anyway, that's why I said "We'll have to see..." I'll be at a cinco de mayo party instead of wasting my time arguing.

    Comment


    • #17
      Or sooner if Manning goes down.

      That is why I think most people were not enamored by the pick. But we do have Haney that can fill roles and lose us games just as well as Osweiler can. Maybe Haney will fit this offense better than the Bears. I'm fine with the pick as long as he actually pans out down the road. Then we will be talking about who had the best draft 2012 (revised at the 5 year re-union).
      Canadian Denver Bronco Fan Club #60

      Comment


      • #18
        For what it's worth, I gave it a C+ / B-, pending the objective......win now, or build and sustain.

        But for me it all centers around pick #57. If our objective was to go for it now, while Manning was likely still in elite mode, I would have preferred a different pick than Osweiler....hopefully another starter, who could make immediate impact. This is how some of us saw the draft.....go for gold baby! And I still think this could be an "A" long term, or could have been an "A" if we'd gone the immediate impact route. Goes like this,

        - if we got another starter at 57, I could see a lot of talent this year......Wolfe will help right away, Hillman will electrify, Blake may get some starts, and the guy we acquired by trading up - Bolden, could be that round one / two player they talk about. That's a lot of talent NOW!
        - if however we are looking long term, and Brock pans out, giving us long term success.....for much of the same reasons above we will be in good shape, plus we may even get a surprise or two with the other picks we made. In that sense, it's easily an A draft

        So.......this could have been a great draft, is probably a solid draft, and may even be a great one! Time will tell.
        Last edited by CanDB; 05-05-2012, 12:21 PM.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by CanDB View Post
          For what it's worth, I gave it a C+ / B-, pending the objective......win now, or build and sustain.

          But for me it all centers around pick #57. If our objective was to go for it now, while Manning was likely still in elite mode, I would have preferred a different pick than Osweiler....hopefully another starter, who could make immediate impact. This is how some of us saw the draft.....go for gold baby! And I still think this could be an "A" long term, or could have been an "A" if we'd gone the immediate impact route. Goes like this,

          - if we got another starter at 57, I could see a lot of talent this year......Wolfe will help right away, Hillman will electrify, Blake may get some starts, and the guy we acquired by trading up - Bolden, could be that round one / two player they talk about. That's a lot of talent NOW!
          - if however we are looking long term, and Brock pans out, giving us long term success.....for much of the same reasons above we will be in good shape, plus we may even get a surprise or two with the other picks we made. In that sense, it's easily an A draft

          So.......this could have been a great draft, is probably a solid draft, and may even be a great one! Time will tell.
          Ok, now I totally understand where you are coming from but my only question is, who could we have drafted at #57 that would contribute right away and also bring long term potential that they can become a superstar and future of the franchise?


          Now if you look at last years draft, these were the guys drafted 50-60...Who of these guys made the biggest impact and was it immediately?

          2 50 San Diego Chargers Marcus Gilchrist CB Clemson
          2 51 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Da'Quan Bowers DE Clemson
          2 52 New York Giants Marvin Austin DT North Carolina
          2 53 Chicago Bears Stephen Paea DT Oregon State
          2 54 Philadelphia Eagles Jaiquawn Jarrett S Temple
          2 55 Kansas City Chiefs Rodney Hudson G Florida State
          2 56 New England Patriots Shane Vereen RB California
          2 57 Detroit Lions Mikel Leshoure RB Illinois Big Ten
          2 58 Baltimore Ravens Torrey Smith WR Maryland
          2 59 Cleveland Browns Greg Little WR North Carolina
          2 60 Houston Texans Brandon Harris CB Miami (FL)

          Now out of these guys how many truly made a BIG impact on their teams?

          Just something for everyone to think about. I refuse to give a draft class a grade until at least 2 if not 3 years from now. I will grade how we did on filling needs through the draft. I would give us a B+ on filling our needs. We got 2 penetrating DT's, a QB (idc what anyone says, a QB was a need on this team), a CB (who apparently was a 2nd rounder if not for his injury), a RB, a versatile OL (who may end up beating out Walton before the season is over), and a LB/ST (who can contribute right away if he makes the team). The only position I thought we should have addressed was WR/KR/PR. I wanted someone who can completely change the field position for us and give Manning an even shorter field to work with.

          Overall I thought EFX is doing what they have to do, to field a team that will compete for championships and build for the future at the same time. I know that is easier said than done but I believe they are on the right path!
          sigpic

          Comment


          • #20
            Its hard to be critical on Osweiler because he fell to the bottom of 2 and Mayock said has the best arm in the draft and scouts loved him smarts and football dedication.

            If he turns out to realize his potential, and he's in a great situation, then its an incredible selection, and Elway knows QB's. We can't just abandon the future because we have Manning for a few years.

            The Chiefs grade was a joke. They took a workout warrior at 11, Allen was a decent pick, Wylie was a huge reach.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by theMileHighGuy View Post
              Legwold from the Denver Post gave a C+, that's about what I gave us, but the rest of the Denver Post writers weren't nearly as forgiving. And you know, they watch every Broncos game, too. Literally the only people in the world who think we had an A+ draft are sitting here, behind their computers. Anyway, that's why I said "We'll have to see..." I'll be at a cinco de mayo party instead of wasting my time arguing.
              Congrats. I never said anything about argueing. I am just telling you there is logic behind giving this draft a solid mark. It is not an A+ and not many people have said that. However a solid B is not out of the reason at all. And a lot of these local Denver media who have ragged on some aspects of the draft have just shown how little they know. Like you sort of. With your reasoning for reaches. But guys like DMAC. Saying we traded down cause we were cheap. It costs more to have the 101st pick and th 36th pick instead of 25. Then you got guys like Alfred Williams who showed how little research they had done and how little they knew. Beat writers are not great at all. Just cause they watch games doesn't mean much either. There jobis not to follow each draft prospects and project and scout. There job is to report and follow what certain media outlets spew to everyone.

              Fact is the draft was solid. But seriously get over calling this bias crap for people around here. Yes this place is bias. You were one of them with Tebow. You admitted that. You are being a hypocrite.

              Comment


              • #22
                I give us a C, too. Wolfe and Hillman will be initial contributors, and Trevathan and Johnson will at least be good backups. But where is the big DT we need? The pass-covering safety? The pass-blocking RT? The upgrade at center? And we throw away a 2nd-round pick on a QB with consistency and accuracy problems?

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by AllEyezOnZach27 View Post
                  Ok, now I totally understand where you are coming from but my only question is, who could we have drafted at #57 that would contribute right away and also bring long term potential that they can become a superstar and future of the franchise?


                  Now if you look at last years draft, these were the guys drafted 50-60...Who of these guys made the biggest impact and was it immediately?

                  2 50 San Diego Chargers Marcus Gilchrist CB Clemson
                  2 51 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Da'Quan Bowers DE Clemson
                  2 52 New York Giants Marvin Austin DT North Carolina
                  2 53 Chicago Bears Stephen Paea DT Oregon State
                  2 54 Philadelphia Eagles Jaiquawn Jarrett S Temple
                  2 55 Kansas City Chiefs Rodney Hudson G Florida State
                  2 56 New England Patriots Shane Vereen RB California
                  2 57 Detroit Lions Mikel Leshoure RB Illinois Big Ten
                  2 58 Baltimore Ravens Torrey Smith WR Maryland
                  2 59 Cleveland Browns Greg Little WR North Carolina
                  2 60 Houston Texans Brandon Harris CB Miami (FL)

                  Now out of these guys how many truly made a BIG impact on their teams?

                  Just something for everyone to think about. I refuse to give a draft class a grade until at least 2 if not 3 years from now. I will grade how we did on filling needs through the draft. I would give us a B+ on filling our needs. We got 2 penetrating DT's, a QB (idc what anyone says, a QB was a need on this team), a CB (who apparently was a 2nd rounder if not for his injury), a RB, a versatile OL (who may end up beating out Walton before the season is over), and a LB/ST (who can contribute right away if he makes the team). The only position I thought we should have addressed was WR/KR/PR. I wanted someone who can completely change the field position for us and give Manning an even shorter field to work with.

                  Overall I thought EFX is doing what they have to do, to field a team that will compete for championships and build for the future at the same time. I know that is easier said than done but I believe they are on the right path!
                  Listen, I don't know that we would have got an immediate impact player, but any selection in round two has a lot of potential for that....if not this year, than the year after. And I really don't think that looking back (one year) answers the question as to whether or not we get a starter "now".

                  In my view, we could have possibly tried to move a bit, and if so, there were a few really good players that could fit....and if we move up, that changes everything possibly. So it's all theory now.

                  I did say that Osweiler may be a great long term pick. But it doesn't appear that he could make a difference this coming year, or for that matter, in '13. Bit of learning and development required.

                  But again, I would never discount a 2nd round opportunity....say we did try to move up a little, there were good players on the board.........Reyes, Worthy, Still, Konz.......if we wanted them. That could have changed our next few picks, as well......who knows.

                  Anyway......some of us think that Brock might be a project, and there is no guarantee. Some of us also think that a better pick for Now, would have been another position of need.

                  It's theory and who knows.....therefore Brock could turn out to be our next franchise QB. Not sure yet.
                  Last edited by CanDB; 05-05-2012, 07:34 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    We were never going to ignore the future and EFX said when they came in the goal was to build a team long term through the draft. PM signing is big, and Wolfe, Hillman and Bolden will help out straight away.

                    If Osweiler becomes a good NFL QB and is starting in 4 years, when he's 25, then no-one will say we should of got Reuben Randle or Kendall Reyes

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by SmokeBassett View Post
                      I give us a C, too. Wolfe and Hillman will be initial contributors, and Trevathan and Johnson will at least be good backups. 1. But where is the big DT we need? 2. The pass-covering safety? 3. The pass-blocking RT? 4. The upgrade at center? And we throw away a 2nd-round pick on a QB with consistency and accuracy problems?
                      1. Bannan and Wolfe were their solution
                      2. Mike Adams
                      3. Franklin and Harris
                      4. We don't know if the OC position needs an upgrade but they brought in Blake to help with that position.
                      sigpic

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by johnlimburg View Post
                        Fact is the draft was solid. But seriously get over calling this bias crap for people around here. Yes this place is bias. You were one of them with Tebow. You admitted that. You are being a hypocrite.
                        http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...P11_hot_topics

                        Hey look, another one.

                        There is no bias in saying the only people who think we had a good to great draft are right here. It's the absolute truth. Find me anything that says otherwise. BUT if you don't agree with them they don't know what they're talking about so don't bother. And there you go with Tim Tebow again, it really is your wheelhouse.

                        C, and that's generous at face value. Don't know better or worse till they prove themselves or otherwise.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by theMileHighGuy View Post
                          Hey look another opinion just like mine. Hey look. As I told you. These websites and what they say means jack. As I showed you with my example we got a B for Von and an A for Moore last year by a website like this. Even at that time it was not even like that. Von was like an A and Moore was like a C-.

                          There is no bias in saying the only people who think we had a good to great draft are right here. It's the absolute truth. Find me anything that says otherwise. BUT if you don't agree with them they don't know what they're talking about so don't bother. And there you go with Tim Tebow again, it really is your wheelhouse.
                          You don't get it. You continue to tell people they are homers for thinking the draft was good and what not when you were like one of those delusional in denial cluless Tebow fans just a little while ago. Maybe it isn't bias cause maybe you really beleive that. Maybe you are just that cluless. That wouldn't suprise me either but when you have been a homer in the past and you keep calling people homers for liking the draft it is hypocritical. I was not debating Tebow. I was showing you how you are being a hypocrite.

                          C, and that's generous at face value. Don't know better or worse till they prove themselves or otherwise.
                          Still waiting for replies to your constant rubbish posting in the lockerroom. I provided you with logic and reasoning and shut your every point up. If you want to actually break it down to why there is reason and logic to give this a solid B which I believe then sure. But I know you wont be doing that. You are comical
                          Last edited by johnlimburg; 05-07-2012, 03:01 AM.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Show me any one thing not directly from here or an opinion of yours that says our draft was "good" and I'll accept that I'm biased. I accept that you know more about football than every football mind on the media stage. Derek Wolfe, one year wonder, hope he develops. Brock, 2nd round project when we need starters across from PM, hope he develops. Hillman pick was fine, hoping we're not running him between the tackles. Bolden pick was great, hoping his slough of knee problems don't come back on him. Maybe Jackson beats out one of the old guys, maybe he's on the practice squad.

                            I don't think a C is outrageous, and it's a damn sight better than my original grade. There's more than a handful of people who give it worse than that, but I'm the only one who still likes to talk to you. I definitely don't think it's bad enough to be name-calling and bringing up old garbage like TT. Especially when there's no bias whatsoever in saying that the only people giving us a good draft grade are right here at BCMB. If you thinking I'm calling you a homer again keeps you posting well, than by all means keep thinking it.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              This one had turned more into an argument then a conversation. It's over.
                              *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
                              *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
                              *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*


                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X