Ty Warren was asked to take a paycut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ty Warren was asked to take a paycut

Doesn't sound like he is a real hope to have a great season...

Kevin Vickerson accepts Broncos pay cut but Ty Warren is balking

Read more: Kevin Vickerson accepts Broncos pay cut but Ty Warren is balking - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...#ixzz1ulaa8kcS
    Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

Kevin Vickerson realized a guy can't make two dollars if he can't make one. Ty Warren is struggling to accept the same concept.

In recent days, the Broncos approached the two veteran defensive tackles about a reduction to their 2012 salaries.

Vickerson accepted a cut from a $2.25 million to $1.2 million, according to his contract filed with the league office and NFL players association. The alternative may have been a financial-related release

Warren is scheduled to make $4 million this year but after he missed the past two full seasons because of injuries, the Broncos would like him back with a base salary in the $1 million to $1.5 million range.

Warren, 31, has not been attending the Broncos' offseason

The Denver Post's NFL reporters post analysis, notes and more on this blog dedicated to the Denver Broncos.
    conditioning and workout program the past two weeks. The offseason workouts are voluntary so Warren is not officially considered a holdout. But players are strongly encouraged to participate.

The salary cut proposals were hardly a surprise given Warren and Vickerson each suffered season-ending injuries last season and after the Broncos added depth at their position with the free-agent signing of Justin Bannan and the selection of Derek Wolfe with their first pick in the draft.

As a general rule, "starter money" begins at $2 million and Vickerson, who received a two-year, $4.75 million extension last season, is expected to fill a rotational role this season. He started the first games last year but was then placed on season-ending injured reserve with an ankle injury.

He is versatile enough to play both the defensive tackle position over center, and gap spot between guard and offensive tackle.

Warren would be the odds-on favorite to start at the Broncos' "nose" tackle position providing he can stay healthy. But his health is clearly an issue.

After missing the entire 2010 season with the New England Patriots following hip surgery, Warren joined running back Willis McGahee as the Broncos' top free-agent signings last season.

Warren received a two-year, $8 million contract that paid him $4 million last year even though he suffered torn triceps during training camp and missed the entire 2011 season.

There aren't many, if any examples of a defensive lineman missing two full seasons and coming back in his 30s to have a productive season.

Warren seemed intent on establishing precedence as he began vigorously rehabilitating his injury in December. He had been dedicated with his offseason conditioning until the Broncos asked for some give back.
    sigpic

Just cut him then. He's never done a single thing for us on the field and we do have some young guys. Guy is being greedy plain and simple.
    Only a fool allows another's opinion to anger him to the point of hurling insults.

Comment

A guy who hasn't seen the field since 2010
      Doesn't want to take a pay cut? That's laughable
      At least vickerson gets it

Comment

Agree with all of you. Just cut him and bring back Thomas.
        Hate List for 2016-2017 Season: 1. Oakland, 2. New England, 3. Kansas City, 4. Pittsburgh and 5. Houston (yes, Houston....)

Comment

How has he not been cut? Their cant be a single team in the league that will sign him for over the vet minimum, if that.
          Denver Broncos GM
          Originally posted by Mosk
          Joey Bosa ~ Jason Spriggs ~ Darian Thompson ~ Nick Vannett ~ Paul Perkins ~ Dan Vitale

Comment

Yeah cut him and bring back Thomas.

At least Thomas would actually see the field.
            All in for Siemian!

Comment

This guy is just asking to be cut.

Comment

I guess he figures he may as well gamble and bluff. They're asking him to take about as low as he could get anyway. So no real downside to waiting it out.

Comment

I wouldn't take a freaking pay cut. No way in heck. The Broncos signed the same contract Warren did when they gave him that money. They knew what they were doing. People always whine about players asking for more money. But this is worse.

Don'tGIVEIN
                  sigpic
                  2013 Adopted Bronco - Duke Ihenacho

Comment

I agree with the majority on this one. Get paid what you work for, which in his case isn't much. Cut him.
                    sigpic
                    Adopted Broncos:
                    EmmanuelSanders

Comment

Originally posted by JakeNbake View Post
                      I wouldn't take a freaking pay cut. No way in heck. The Broncos signed the same contract Warren did when they gave him that money. They knew what they were doing. People always whine about players asking for more money. But this is worse.

Don'tGIVEIN
                      I understand your stance if your salary is guaranteed. However Warren was only guaranteed 2.5Mil which he made last year so at this point the Broncos can cut him and he will not get squat.

Take your chances as a free agent, or take a paycut are his options. There are several linemen already out there that cannot get signed that are his age, but none of them are coming off two years of being inactive. I say his chances of being signed are slim but if he wants to get cut then don't accept the pay cut.

If he doesn't budge then it makes the Broncos decision much easier.
                      sigpic
                      Samparnell - Adopted Coach & Mentor
                      2016 Adopted Bronco - Derek Wolfe
                      2014 Adopted Bronco - DeMarcus Ware - 2015 Adopted Bronco - Von Miller

Comment

Don'tGIVEIN
                        I agree with this. But I don't think it's worse than a player holding out, they are both equally stupid.

It would be like you buying a car, signing a contract. Then 2 years later you don't really like the car, so you want to pay less. Or 2 years later the car is awesome, so the dealership wants you to pay more.

Umm no. You signed the contract, deal with it.
                        Last edited by InElwayWeTrust; 05-13-2012, 11:11 AM.

Comment

I wouldn't take a freaking pay cut. No way in heck. The Broncos signed the
                          same contract Warren did when they gave him that money. They knew what they were doing. People always whine about players asking for more money. But this is worse.

Don'tGIVEIN
                          I agree with this.

You signed the contract, dont expect him to change it.

Comment

Originally posted by SoundsOfSuccess View Post
                            I agree with this.

You signed the contract, dont expect him to change it.
                            does that go both ways? How often do we see players have a good year and the next season they are demanding more money or else they will hold out? What goes around comes around.......
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by InElwayWeTrust View Post
                              I agree with this. But I don't think it's worse than a player holding out, they are both equally stupid.

It would be like you buying a car, signing a contract. Then 2 years later you don't really like the car, so you want to pay less. Or 2 years later the car is awesome, so the dealership wants you to pay more.

Umm no. You signed the contract, deal with it.
                              I disagree sure if the car is awesome, but what.if the car sucks and haven't worked in 2yrs.
                              sigpic
                              Adopted Broncos:
                              EmmanuelSanders

Comment

Working...
                              X