Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hillman brings Sproles-like threat to Broncos

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Hillman brings Sproles-like threat to Broncos

    The Denver Broncos believe they've acquired a secret weapon in the form of rookie running back Ronnie Hillman.

    At first blush, Hillman isn't your typical John Fox back. He doesn't project as a bruiser between the tackles, but his ability to catch the ball -- and his blazing speed -- drew an interesting comparison Tuesday.


    "To be able to have a weapon like Ronnie Hillman, he's a lot like a (Darren) Sproles," John Elway told Broncos season-ticket holders. "You can get great matchups ... (a) great change-of-pace back."

    After the draft, Elway, the team's vice president of football operations, called the 5-foot-9 Hillman "electric," saying: "He's got a chance to make that big play."

    When Denver traded up in the third round of the draft to grab Hillman out of San Diego State, it had everything to do with Peyton Manning. There was nobody on the roster with Hillman's ability to catch the ball out of the backfield, but he'll need to prove he can block for his quarterback.

    We'll pump the brakes on comparing him to Sproles -- who was outrageous paired with Drew Brees in New Orleans -- but we expect Hillman to be used heavily in Denver's offense next season. Willis McGahee remains the starter, and Lance Ball has a place here, but Knowshon Moreno could be the odd man out barring a sensational camp.

  • #2
    Something we've desperately lacked out of our backfield for the longest time

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by destrukt View Post
      The Denver Broncos believe they've acquired a secret weapon in the form of rookie running back Ronnie Hillman.

      At first blush, Hillman isn't your typical John Fox back. He doesn't project as a bruiser between the tackles, but his ability to catch the ball -- and his blazing speed -- drew an interesting comparison Tuesday.


      "To be able to have a weapon like Ronnie Hillman, he's a lot like a (Darren) Sproles," John Elway told Broncos season-ticket holders. "You can get great matchups ... (a) great change-of-pace back."

      After the draft, Elway, the team's vice president of football operations, called the 5-foot-9 Hillman "electric," saying: "He's got a chance to make that big play."

      When Denver traded up in the third round of the draft to grab Hillman out of San Diego State, it had everything to do with Peyton Manning. There was nobody on the roster with Hillman's ability to catch the ball out of the backfield, but he'll need to prove he can block for his quarterback.

      We'll pump the brakes on comparing him to Sproles -- who was outrageous paired with Drew Brees in New Orleans -- but we expect Hillman to be used heavily in Denver's offense next season. Willis McGahee remains the starter, and Lance Ball has a place here, but Knowshon Moreno could be the odd man out barring a sensational camp.
      I agree with that except I'm not sure why they think Ball has a place here. Not saying he doesn't but I don't see anything for sure with him.
      sigpic

      Comment


      • #4
        One of my favorite picks and most anticipated players to watch for this coming season.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by #24 Next Champ View Post
          Something we've desperately lacked out of our backfield for the longest time
          Last time we had a HR guy, it was Tatum Bell.

          Very glad to have that threat back!

          Comment


          • #6
            Nice article but the knowshon bias is a little ridiculous.

            No one on the roster to catch the ball out the backfield..?????
            Knowshon is the best we have on the team at that, and hilman i doubt is better at it. As good maybe but better- thats hard pressed.
            Also there is no way on gods green earth that ball makes the team and knowshon does not (UNLESS- knowshon gets hurt again- that would make sense, but there is nothing ball has on knowshon.)
            So far:
            FA- Melvin Gordon. Brandon Scherff
            1. Kenneth Murray LB; 2. Shenault WR; 2B. Biadazz Center, 3. OT

            Comment


            • #7
              If he ends up being even close to how good Sproles is I would do backflips.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by InElwayWeTrust View Post
                If he ends up being even close to how good Sproles is I would do backflips.
                With a layout and a twist...

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by underrated29 View Post
                  Nice article but the knowshon bias is a little ridiculous.

                  No one on the roster to catch the ball out the backfield..?????
                  Knowshon is the best we have on the team at that, and hilman i doubt is better at it. As good maybe but better- thats hard pressed.
                  Also there is no way on gods green earth that ball makes the team and knowshon does not (UNLESS- knowshon gets hurt again- that would make sense, but there is nothing ball has on knowshon.)
                  Thats exactly what i was thinking, didnt make too much sense lol

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I'm not so sure why the Denver media is so down on Moreno. When he's healthy he's one of the best receiving backs in the NFL. I would be surprised if he didn't get significant playing time this year.
                    sigpic
                    Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
                      I'm not so sure why the Denver media is so down on Moreno. When he's healthy he's one of the best receiving backs in the NFL. I would be surprised if he didn't get significant playing time this year.
                      Isn't he still rehabbing his knee? Last I heard was he was going to be out until training camp which will mean he will not be in shape and ready to go.

                      I had high hopes for him but he just hasn't been able to stay on the field. I hope he makes this a competition because honestly having Ball over Moreno kind of scares me. LOL
                      sigpic
                      Samparnell - Adopted Coach & Mentor
                      2016 Adopted Bronco - Derek Wolfe
                      2014 Adopted Bronco - DeMarcus Ware - 2015 Adopted Bronco - Von Miller

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Seriously, who would really want Moreno catching passes on 3rd down over Hillman? With the homerun ability and quickness, I'll take Hillman. If you were on an opposing defense, who'd you be more afraid of?

                        Let's not kid ourselves here

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by PhoenixDread View Post
                          Seriously, who would really want Moreno catching passes on 3rd down over Hillman? With the homerun ability and quickness, I'll take Hillman. If you were on an opposing defense, who'd you be more afraid of?

                          Let's not kid ourselves here
                          I'm not going to argue that Hillman isn't faster. However, there is a lot of pretense on this message board about Moreno's receiving ability. If I'm not mistaken, he was the only RB in the NFL to average over 10ypc during the 2010 season. He is one of the best receiving backs in the NFL.
                          sigpic
                          Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by PhoenixDread View Post
                            Seriously, who would really want Moreno catching passes on 3rd down over Hillman? With the homerun ability and quickness, I'll take Hillman. If you were on an opposing defense, who'd you be more afraid of?

                            Let's not kid ourselves here
                            Depends on the situation, Moreno is perfect in the red zone with Manning, and on early downs. He has flashed the ability to catch the ball with ease, make defenders miss, and finish runs in the red zone for TDs.
                            Fightin' Texas Aggie c/o '16

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by PhoenixDread View Post
                              Seriously, who would really want Moreno catching passes on 3rd down over Hillman? With the homerun ability and quickness, I'll take Hillman. If you were on an opposing defense, who'd you be more afraid of?

                              Let's not kid ourselves here
                              In all fairness, Knowshon is a monster in the open field and has solid hands. Get him in space and he'll make a play, and he's done this before very well.

                              Although Hillman is getting a lot of hype, he's done nothing in the NFL yet. Every year there are backs coming out of the draft who are looked at as Sproles type backs. The only two backs in the league that have truly played the similar role are Reggie Bush and Danny Woodhead, a top pick and a nonpick.

                              I have the highest hopes for Hillman and I love the kid. But let's be fair here, what he is apparently coming in to do is something Knowshon has suceeded at.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X