Broncos' Julius Thomas will find playing time tough to get in NFL in 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broncos' Julius Thomas will find playing time tough to get in NFL in 2012

I like this Kid and hope he lives up to what we expected.............

I was thrilled when the Broncos drafted tight end Julius Thomas in 2011, but he didn't have a good rookie season. How much playing time will he get this year?

A: Thomas' rookie season went downhill on the first reception of his NFL career. On a 5-yard catch against Cincinnati last September, Thomas injured his right ankle. He left that game and ended up missing a total of 14 games — 12 in the regular season and both of the Broncos' playoff games — because of the injury.

He had surgery in April and is recovering from that procedure. He hasn't participated in the Broncos' offseason conditioning program or in any of the team's organized

Blog: First-and-Orange

The Denver Post's NFL reporters post analysis, notes and more on this blog dedicated to the Denver Broncos.
    team activities (OTAs), and he won't participate in the three-day minicamp this week.

When he returns, Thomas will have to compete with newcomers Jacob Tamme and Joel Dreessen, a Colorado State product from Fort Morgan, for playing time.

The Broncos had high hopes for the 6-foot-5, 255-pound Thomas when they selected him in the fourth round of the 2011 draft. The Broncos loved his athleticism, which enabled him to play basketball for four years at Portland State before switching to football.

He is far from a polished football player, so he needs to get on the field to improve. And with Peyton Manning now quarterbacking the Broncos, tight ends and wide receivers will be required to run precision routes to get the ball. Manning won't be targeting anybody who can't run precision routes.

Tamme and Dreessen weren't signed to watch, either. They likely will have big roles in the offense. So playing time won't be easy for Thomas to acquire whenever he returns

Read more: Broncos' Julius Thomas will find playing time tough to get in NFL in 2012 - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...#ixzz1xaYJdJCU
    Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...me-buzztap.com
    sigpic

yeah but thomas has more upside than tamme or dressen ifs hes healthy and can get some reps watch out

Comment

Originally posted by faith is blind View Post
      yeah but thomas has more upside than tamme or dressen ifs hes healthy and can get some reps watch out
      Could be 1 of many sleepers that we have....
      sigpic

Comment

Hope he makes it.

Go Julius!!!

Comment

Virgil Green might be the most athletic of the group
          sigpic
          Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

Manning won't be targeting anyone who can't run precision routes? Wow, hasn't Manning already said that the bigger you are the less precise he and the WR have to be as their size is a natural advantage? Yeah we signed Tamme and Dreessen but neither of them are making more than 1 mil this season. I think they have a long way to go before a starting spot is a lock, I don't even think they're a lock to make the team just yet. We have 3 very young athletic TEs behind them in Green, Ingram, and Thomas.

Actually I think Virgil Green is the best of the group. He didn't get a chance to show off his receiving skills last year with us hardly using our TEs and when we did we usually went to Rosario. But he did show that is a tremendous blocker last year and I only look for him to improve as he gets more experience in the NFL.

Comment

It will be hard getting playing time with Tamme and Dreesen here. What it does do it give JT time to develop and less pressure.

Hopefully he will expand his game and we will see him occasionally making plays

Comment

One injury could change that ..

Comment

Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
                  Virgil Green might be the most athletic of the group
                  The book on Green coming out of Nevada's Pistol Offense, was that he was a great receiver, but a questionable blocker.

During the 2011 season, he was the best of the TEs blocking from the End or from Wing/Slot. When Larsen went down he was tried a little from the FB position, but that's very different from blocking on LOS.

Too bad about his extremely unfair suspension. He will prove himself to be the best all-around TE/H-Back of the current group.
                  "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by #24 Next Champ View Post
                    One injury could change that ..
                    Very true. I'm not too worried about him having a big impact this year, because he's still very raw and has competition ahead of him now. However, the upside is higher with him than anyone else, so I'm sure his roster spot is fine.
                    sigpic

@BlueNOrangeFTW

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                      The book on Green coming out of Nevada's Pistol Offense, was that he was a great receiver, but a questionable blocker.

During the 2011 season, he was the best of the TEs blocking from the End or from Wing/Slot. When Larsen went down he was tried a little from the FB position, but that's very different from blocking on LOS.

Too bad about his extremely unfair suspension. He will prove himself to be the best all-around TE/H-Back of the current group.

Good stuff right there sam

Comment

I really like Green.

If you can get a versetile weapon like that in the 7th then job well done I say
                        All in for Siemian!

Comment

What you want is two full years to develop a player, that is ideal. I like our TE situation and by 2013 it could be even better.

What is great about what Elway is doing is he is taking guys in the draft he feels will be the best players in their 3rd year. He is getting high upside guys who can learn behind vets. When was the last time we really felt a player was being blocked? I love saying that.
                          Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

Comment

I am a Big Tyme UNR Wolfpack Fan as a True Die Hard Denver Bronco Fan and I am thrilled as can be that we have V. Green on our Team! I am just not sold on that every basketball player will make the A. Gates! Kind of like not every water boy or towel boy ie the Michigan Towel Boy (hahahaha) would go on to Superstar status!

Comment

Would not be surprised to see one of our TEs traded before the season starts. None of them will make it to the PS and we will not carry four TEs.

Depth wise this is probably the best situation at TE I have ever seen Denver in.
                              Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Working...
                              X