Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will McCoy, Del Rio follow in Allen’s footsteps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will McCoy, Del Rio follow in Allen’s footsteps?

For me, MC and JDR will exceed last years stats.. Given the experince JDR has on that side of the ball (which he has a lot more than DA) he can turn this D back to ORANGE Crush.. I would love to keep both of these guys for a few years before jumping ship.. it would be a blow if JDR exists after just one year, i think we suffered enough with 7 DC doing the same thing! Fingers crossed..

After recording an 8-8 record and a playoff berth last season, Denver’s top two 2011 coordinators — Mike McCoy and Dennis Allen — suddenly became head coaching candidates. The Oakland Raiders were granted permission to interview both coaches (and they ended up hiring Allen) and the Miami Dolphins considered signing McCoy.

Allen was considered the one responsible for Denver’s somewhat of a defensive turnaround last season and McCoy was credited with creating a potent offense by elvolving his playbook to tailor to his players’ unique skill-sets. Heading into the 2012 season, McCoy remains a 2013 head coaching candidate and the man who replaced Allen — new Defensive Coordinator Jack Del Rio — could be on track to returning to the top of the coaching food chain.

If quarterback Peyton Manning performs well and the Denver Broncos win their division again this season, McCoy will emerge as one of the most sought after coaches in the league. On the other side of the ball, if the defense benefits from Manning’s presence and improves on their 2011 campaign, Del Rio will viewed in the same regard—if not better—than Allen was last offseason.

Del Rio has coached under John Fox before (in Carolina during the 2002 season) and was top dog in Jacksonville from 2003-to-2011. During that time period the Jaguars enjoyed dominating defensive success with limited offensive production and unfortunately, limited overall success. While his head coaching resume is far from exceptional (69–73 overall), Del Rio’s defenses consistently ranked among the top ten during his tenure in Jacksonville.
    If Denver’s defense ranks among the top ten in 2012 and sends several defenders to the Pro Bowl, it will direct warm fuzzy wuzzies towards Del Rio in league circles. And if some of the young rising stars on defense, such as Von Miller breakout under Del Rio’s coaching, it could lead to the sixteen-year coach interviewing with other teams next offseason.

McCoy is a similar case. If the offense excels under Manning, it would open the door for McCoy to follow in Allen’s footsteps and accept a head coaching gig elsewhere in the NFL. If McCoy did move on, it would open up the door for the Broncos to sign Manning’s former Offensive Coordinator Tom Moore, who said he is going to return to coaching in 2013. But that’s a different subject for a different time.

As of now, McCoy and Del Rio are Denver’s top two coordinators. If the team has a successful 2012 season, they may have two vacant coaching positions heading into 2013.

Alternatively, if the Broncos do well enough under McCoy and Del Rio, the two coaches may not want to leave a winning team. Both of the coaches have worked under Fox in the past and have been successful coaching with him. If the two coordinators love their situation in Denver, teams may not be able to pry them away. Only time will tell.

http://buzztap.com/link.jsp?id=11600082&cid=21
    350legend
    Bench Warmer
    Last edited by 350legend; 07-09-2012, 10:07 AM.
    sigpic

I think JDR may go the Nolan route and enjoy his NFL life as a DC. He may return to a HC one day, but no time soon. The politics of it interfere with the actual "coaching" which he himself and his former players say he is very passionate about. I would like things to work on an extremely long term basis and actually have some stability on that side of the ball for once. With how quick the JDR hiring went, I tend to think that he was gonna be our guy last year had Jax let him loose then. It was almost etched in stone the day he was released of his coaching duties is Jax, that he was gonna be our DC.

Now as for McCoy. I would actually like him to stay for the long haul. I think it will help him more as a HC than to jump into it. Have some success in the system u run, then take it to a different organization. And even then the 1st time results could be disasterous, see Bellicheat in Cleveland. He's a hot commodity, but I wouldn't just jump at any offer for the crappy teams. It's gotta be a good situation for him and he will make an excellent HC, just not now.

I think Allen jumped too soon, even though I'm glad because we ended up with JDR. And the Raiders have proven to be a horrific team for noob HC's to manage. I know most of that was the great Al Davis, but I don't expect those old habits to die so easy. I think he'll have limited success and end up either back as a DC or as a college HC in 3-4 years. Unfortunately, I see Lane Kiffen when I see Allen.
    #swapping

Comment

I think the first thing Manning asked our coordinators was if their job was just a stepping stone up to head coaching. I remember McCoy said that he would only leave for the right job, which I assume would come along if we do well enough, and Del Rio said he was done with head coaching for a while. So at the very least, I imagine us retaining Del Rio and loosing McCoy, which is at least better than what we're used to.
      Orange Pants
      Practice Squad
      Last edited by Orange Pants; 07-09-2012, 11:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by flosstein View Post
        I think JDR may go the Nolan route and enjoy his NFL life as a DC. He may return to a HC one day, but no time soon. The politics of it interfere with the actual "coaching" which he himself and his former players say he is very passionate about. I would like things to work on an extremely long term basis and actually have some stability on that side of the ball for once. With how quick the JDR hiring went, I tend to think that he was gonna be our guy last year had Jax let him loose then. It was almost etched in stone the day he was released of his coaching duties is Jax, that he was gonna be our DC.

Now as for McCoy. I would actually like him to stay for the long haul. I think it will help him more as a HC than to jump into it. Have some success in the system u run, then take it to a different organization. And even then the 1st time results could be disasterous, see Bellicheat in Cleveland. He's a hot commodity, but I wouldn't just jump at any offer for the crappy teams. It's gotta be a good situation for him and he will make an excellent HC, just not now.

I think Allen jumped too soon, even though I'm glad because we ended up with JDR. And the Raiders have proven to be a horrific team for noob HC's to manage. I know most of that was the great Al Davis, but I don't expect those old habits to die so easy. I think he'll have limited success and end up either back as a DC or as a college HC in 3-4 years. Unfortunately, I see Lane Kiffen when I see Allen.
        Agreed! it's better to just have a good job that you love instead of one filled with B.S.

Comment

Originally posted by flosstein View Post

I agree, D A took that job way to early, its a hit or miss.....
          sigpic

Comment

DA has an uphill battle with the Faiders. The "Black Hole" is where coaches go to die. Two years ago the Raiders swept the division and almost made the playoffs, so they rewarded there HC by firing him! They promoted the OC and fired him after one season. Coach Allen was put on the "Hot Seat" as soon as he took the job, if they don't make the playoffs, DA could be looking for another job as well. The Raiders history with coaches is less than impressive.

On another note I think JDR might stick around for awhile. McCoy on the other hand could wind up departing. Maybe if we can make a deep push in the post season, they may want to stick around to see it through.
            sigpic

Comment

I remember JDR saying something about how he is relocating his family to Denver. His son is going to play high school football. I'm pretty sure that was a big factor in his decision to come here. I doubt he wants to be jumping around cities and moving his family so fast. I think he wants to settle down in Denver for at least a few years and concentrate on being a DC. Maybe once his children go off to college, he will consider being a HC again. Besides, if he is indeed a hot commodity next season it most likely that we enjoyed great success. Why would he want to walk away from that, a chance to coach a phenomenal defense with young stars such as Von Miller and possibly win a Superbowl ring to go to a crappy 2-14 team that just fired their head coach?

Atleast, that's what I'm hoping.. God knows we need some stability for once.
              The Magic Is Back! IN ELWAY WE TRUST!

Comment

Working...
              X