Elvis Dumervil: 'Truth will come out' about arrest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Peyton&Eli_fan View Post
    I'm not opposed to people owning guns, but what reason does anyone have to own a machine gun other than to kill people.
    There is a thing called competition shooting, making guns illegal will not solve the problem, we need to provide better mental health care to those that need it, that would help alot more than banning guns.
    sigpic WHEC-724

Comment

Originally posted by nickmeyer View Post
      There is a thing called competition shooting, making guns illegal will not solve the problem, we need to provide better mental health care to those that need it, that would help alot more than banning guns.
      I see no need for those competitions.

At the very least there should be a process to obtain one. You shouldn't be able to get one quickly without a background check. There has to be a way to keep guns away from people with mental health problems. I used to work in suicide research. You wouldn't believe the number of tragedies that would have been prevented if there wasn't a gun handy in the house. Most were impulsive.

Comment

At the very least there should be a process to obtain one. You shouldn't be able to get one quickly without a background check. There has to be a way to keep guns away from people with mental health problems. I used to work in suicide research. You wouldn't believe the number of tragedies that would have been prevented if there wasn't a gun handy in the house. Most were impulsive.
        Those competitions are fun.

But yes I understand the impulsive side its easier when all you have to do is pull a trigger, but had said individual had the support of those around him could of been avoided, would that individual eventually find a different way to do it, say swallow some pills maybe?

Guns are not bad people are, I agree there should definelty be a process to obtain them even including maybe a psych test. I still say we need to support eachother a lot better than we have been, there are to many ways to escape reality now days, video games, TV, drugs...you get this picture. That kid needed help and I don't know how he managed to slip by without getting that help but something says it had something to do with our poor mental health care system. Probably couldn't afford to get the help he needed.
        sigpic WHEC-724

Comment

Originally posted by nickmeyer View Post
          Those competitions are fun.

But yes I understand the impulsive side its easier when all you have to do is pull a trigger, but had said individual had the support of those around him could of been avoided, would that individual eventually find a different way to do it, say swallow some pills maybe?

Guns are not bad people are, I agree there should definelty be a process to obtain them even including maybe a psych test. I still say we need to support eachother a lot better than we have been, there are to many ways to escape reality now days, video games, TV, drugs...you get this picture. That kid needed help and I don't know how he managed to slip by without getting that help but something says it had something to do with our poor mental health care system. Probably couldn't afford to get the help he needed.
          Agreed. I'd say of the gun suicides I studied, 1/3 were well thought out and they would have found another way if a gun wasn't handy. But 2/3 seemed very impulsive - no note, no planning of finances, etc... - just grab the gun and shoot in a bad moment. If they had just 10 minutes to calm down, many wouldn't have happened.

That's unrelated to a well thought out murder, of course. But, I think we both agree that mental health problems and guns don't mix on any level.

Comment

Here's hoping Elvis will choose NFL over Miami Vice....

Comment

So true.

And I would bet anything that your suicide numbers carry over to burglary related shootings or even situations like the one Doom was in. Most things in life are impulsive, and it simply does matter whether there is a gun handy or not in those situations.

And I am certain that we can live without machinegun competitions if the absense of machine guns in the daily life of regular people saves lives.
              Last edited by jgod654; 07-27-2012, 02:20 AM.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jgod654 View Post
                So true.

And I would bet anything that your suicide numbers carry over to burglary related shootings or even situations like the one Doom was in. Most things in life are impulsive, and it simply does matter whether there is a gun handy or not in those situations.

And I am certain that we can live without machinegun competitions if the absense of machine guns in the daily life of regular people saves lives.
                The truth is regular people in this country do not own machine guns. It is illegal to own any fully automatic (ie machine gun, machine pistol) in the US unless you are licensed by the ATF. The license is not that expensive. But the background search is very extensive,it typically takes at least 6 months to get such a license, and they talk to everyone you know besides just doing a criminal background search.

This debate crops up every time there is a mass shooter out there. When the truth be told I bet there are more mass murderers out there that do not use guns then there have been mass shooters.
                People should not be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of their people.

sigpic

Comment

I don't own a gun, I have considered getting one, but it's not a pressing need. I'm not sure gun control works or could work, they're just too easy to get legally and illegally. Clearly if this guy didn't have guns he could have chosen another method for his madness. Both sides will try to politisize this and neither should. The problem here is this dude clearly has mental issues.

I do keep thinking about what if the AR didn't jam.
                  Anybody know how to get out of Plan A? - Elway

Comment

If he didn't use the gun, he prolly would've used one of his bombs.

Comment

Working...
                    X