Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Elway lured Peyton Manning to the Broncos.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Elway lured Peyton Manning to the Broncos.

Cole: Once you knew he was interested, did you guys do a lot of plotting about how you were going to pitch it to him? Or did you play it a little more loosely because, as a former quarterback, you had a pretty good feel for how to talk to him?

Elway: It wasn't an elaborate sit-down that was all organized with a big, huge presentation. It was to get him in here and show him what we were all about, introduce him to the offensive guys and have him look around. Obviously, I've been around him quite a bit, but it was to show him what we have. I just knew that you weren't going to push Peyton into a corner. So the bottom line was to show him the best of what we have, answer any questions he had for us and not put any pressure on him. Give him the space to make a decision and believe that we had a lot to offer here. We didn't hard sell it, we soft sold it because we felt good about where we were.

I just knew that if I was him and I had just gotten released by a team I had played 14 years for, if there was some team that said to me, "You have to come in and do it now," I know I would have walked away. That's why I knew Peyton was going to take his time. He was still dealing with getting released. Even though the rumors were out there for a long time, I still believe he was a little bit shocked that he got released. Even though you hear it, when it's that final, it's still a little bit of a shock and I understood that. So it was going to take him time to get away from that situation, clear his mind and realize what was going on and be able to figure out what he wanted to do.

Again, he was not going to make a quick decision. Even though everybody was saying, "He's going to sign there," or "Miami has a deal with Peyton" or "They're not going to let him get out of the building," I knew that wasn't the case because he was going to have to go through his process. We were going to have to go through our process as well. We were going to have to see him throw eventually. So it was going to take time and it took about 10 or 11 days.

Cole: When the Dolphins went through choosing between Drew Brees and Daunte Culpepper in 2006, the part they really missed was the complete dedication that Brees had to getting healthy. Do you see that same determination in Manning as Brees had in coming back from a shoulder injury?

Elway: Yeah. The way the tests are coming back and the nerve is coming back, everything is way ahead of where we thought it would be. Peyton is still a young guy at 35, 36 years old. He still has a lot of football in front of him and if you get a guy like that with a chip on his shoulder then I think it makes it even better.

Cole: So he doesn't require a lot of prodding?

Elway: Having been around Peyton for four or five months, he's not one of those guys who loses that chip. You don't have to prod him.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--jo...e-broncos.html

Not sure if this was to be posted here or News Wire, sorry mods if it's in the wrong section...
    Last edited by ERoyal248; 07-26-2012, 05:22 PM.

I always thought Elway just used a carrot under a cardboard box to catch Peyton...
    Lifetime Broncos/Cowboys fan.
    sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the post. It seems that Elway has taken charge, driving the bus, and getting a look into his thought process was informative and encouraging.
      Rockin Mile High Stadium on a fall Sunday - best place in sports

Comment

Good read, thanks for sharing.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DoomTrooper View Post
          I always thought Elway just used a carrot under a cardboard box to catch Peyton...
          That was his plan B.

Comment

This was posted at 730 AM by me in the section of forums for news articles. Not sure why but your link does not seem to work for me. My link is working in the other thread though.
            Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Seeing Peyton realesed by the Colts still hurts. He's a great guy and a great player. As a football fan I can say no other player has made such an impact with me. So much so that even though Im a die hard Colts fan, I want Peyton to get another SB. So for the next 3 years, Go Bronco's. I never got over what Elway did with the Colts but he has been winning me over lately, LOL

Comment

Originally posted by luvdacolts67 View Post
                Seeing Peyton realesed by the Colts still hurts. He's a great guy and a great player. As a football fan I can say no other player has made such an impact with me. So much so that even though Im a die hard Colts fan, I want Peyton to get another SB. So for the next 3 years, Go Bronco's. I never got over what Elway did with the Colts but he has been winning me over lately, LOL
                Just imagine if Elway decided to play for you guys. Elway to Manning to Luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Cahill View Post
                  LOL thats what I wanted. I really dont blame him because the Colts were never serious about winning untill Peyton got here. Elway didnt want to take the hits that Bert Jones took. Im sure he new he would have a short carear if he went to the Colts. They really stunk. The Colts will be a SB contender in 3 years. I think Luck is the real deal and they are putting together a better team around him than Peyton had. I think the Bronco's are going to be dangerous and able to beat any team at any time. Peyton is just that good and hes got a descent team around him.

Comment

It was the right move for both sides.

Colts are rebuilding from scratch, and Peyton has 3-4 years provided health. I liked the Colts moves this offseason, they are getting there. Going from Peyton to Luck, smh.

He probably would be there if they didn't have a top 2 pick.

Comment

LOL thats what I wanted. I really dont blame him because the Colts were never serious about winning untill Peyton got here. Elway didnt want to take the hits that Bert Jones took. Im sure he new he would have a short carear if he went to the Colts. They really stunk. The Colts will be a SB contender in 3 years. I think Luck is the real deal and they are putting together a better team around him than Peyton had. I think the Bronco's are going to be dangerous and able to beat any team at any time. Peyton is just that good and hes got a descent team around him.
                      Actually I think his big problem was your guys head coach i believe. Frank Kush was hated by a lot of players and was known as a drill instructor. For some reason Jack Elway (john's father) absolutely hated Frank Kush and thus the trade was made.

Comment

lol I can't even imagine Elway prodding Manning
                        The beatings will continue until morale improves....

Comment

That would be impossible. If Elway played for the Colts they would have never sucked. Manning was the 1st pick of the draft.
                          Bronco Fan for Life.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncos2024 View Post
                            Actually I think his big problem was your guys head coach i believe. Frank Kush was hated by a lot of players and was known as a drill instructor. For some reason Jack Elway (john's father) absolutely hated Frank Kush and thus the trade was made.
                            I live in AZ so I know Kush well. i forgot about him but didnt know that was a problem for Elway. He was only with the Colts a year anyway. Irsay sr was never interested in winning, just selling tickets.

Comment

If they would have had Elway they never would have left Baltimore, and they would have been going to SBs so they would have not been in any position to draft Manning. Remember Manning was Drafted in 1998. That was the year Elway won his second SB.

Comment

Working...
                              X