More Injuries Hitting Broncos Hard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Injuries Hitting Broncos Hard

Well the training camp injury bug is biting the Broncos hard in the butt this week with injuries sidelining players at key positions. If this continues, the much praised depth of the team won't count for much as they will enter the season weak at some important positions.

To recap from this new Post article:
    And the Broncos still lost starters Chris Kuper and Jason Hunter to injuries Tuesday that were so severe, both underwent surgery Wednesday. Hunter is likely finished for the season and Kuper is expected to miss the first three games of the regular season.
    Jason Hunter: Hunter's tendon is 95% torn and he won't be ready to return to practice until December. He will be placed on the IR to start the season and so will be done for the year. He "felt something wrong" but in the manner of guys trying to make a roster said to himself "I'm a football player" and continued to practice which may have aggravated the injury (or maybe it was already that bad).

Hunter's injury was especially sad in that he had a great pre-season and actually was winning the starting job from Robert Ayers. His loss for the season is significant.

Chris Kuper: Kuper will miss the first few weeks of the season as well with a broken forearm and will take some time even after he returns to get back to full strength. Manny Ramirez is filling in at G, which is a BIG drop off from Kuper, who is their best OL (even better than Clady IMO). Kuper will at the earliest return on week 4 against the Raiders.

Keith Brooking: New Bronco Keith Brooking who was brought in this week to back up Wesley Woodyard during DJ's six game suspension also injured his hamstring and now will likely miss the entire pre-season. This means they won't even be able to evaluate how much gas is left in the tank given his 36 year old body prior to the start of the regular season. OUCH! He also will likely not be at 100% by the season's start as hamstring injuries tend to linger, especially as you get older.

Quinton Carter: Quinton Carter already has had knee surgery and is missing most of the pre-season. He should be ready to go by week 1 but it also slows his development. In his absence 2nd year safety Rahim Moore has been taking his place and could start week 1.

Ronnie Hillman: And to round out the list of walking wounded, rookie RB Ronnie Hillman re-injured his hamstring this week and will likely sit out the 2nd pre-season game. If he aggravated the severity of his injury that could also haunt him this season.

If Hillman can't go to start the season, Lance Ball looks to get the nod to backup Willis McGahee.

DJ Williams: DJ Williams: While not due to injury, DJ was just convicted for driving while impaired, a lesser charge than DUI, but one which will still subject him to an additional league sanction. He could miss the first 8 to 10 weeks of the season now and there is a question as to whether the Broncos will now keep him on the roster. Yet he is their 2nd best LB behind Von Miller so this is a big loss.

The Broncos Peyton Manning is still healthy though and that's the most important thing.
    Last edited by Cugel; 08-16-2012, 05:17 AM.
    sigpic

The Hillman injury has me worried a little bit because those kind of hammy injuries seem to last forever. The rest of these guys I think will be there for week 1 or week 2(Kuper). I'm just glad they aren't acl or mcl, something that is season ending

Comment

Originally posted by JvDub95 View Post
      The Hillman injury has me worried a little bit because those kind of hammy injuries seem to last forever. The rest of these guys I think will be there for week 1 or week 2(Kuper). I'm just glad they aren't acl or mcl, something that is season ending
      It's actually the Brooking injury that has me worried the most. He's 36 while Hillman is 22 or something. It's just MUCH slower to heal from injury at 36.

Brooking can play all 3 LB positions and is a leader on the field. If he still has some juice left in his old body he could be a great pickup, similar to the acquisition of Brian Dawkins from the Eagles.

Even in a backup role he'd be valuable, especially now with DJ facing even more suspension time. But, his impact could be severely limited if he's hobbled by a hamstring injury. They will probably have to keep him out of the pre-season now and try and get him ready for game 1.

Hopefully he will be ready to go by then but there are no guarantees of course.

As for the "rest of the guys" being ready for week 1 you didn't read carefully. Jason Hunter is done for the year and Kuper is coming back no earlier than game 4 at BEST. A broken forearm is serious because you can't easily play with it. To extend your arm you need bone strength (they explained this afternoon on the radio about this injury). It's less severe to break the ulna than the inner arm bone, but still bad.
      Last edited by Cugel; 08-16-2012, 05:27 AM.
      sigpic

Comment

It really sucks that Hunter is done for the year. I was looking forward to seeing his versatility at the end position

Comment

Man I'm tired of this every year. Guess that's part of the game.

Comment

Hunter being out is only significant to the depth on the DL, which is still very important.

Ayers isn't much of a, if any, downgrade as a starter.

If Dumervil gets hurt, do they move Ayers to weak side and put Wolfe in on strong side?

Kuper is a significant loss while he's out. Good thing he's expected to to return fairly early in the regular season.

Not really sweating the injuries to Brooking, Carter, or Hillman
            My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
            You Mad Bro?
            Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

Hunter - Sucks as he was coming on a little, but we have depth here and his replacement was a starter.
              Brooking - No offense, who cares? He was third string. If our young LB's are no better than Brooking at his relative advanced years for a LB we're in real trouble. I don't think he was brought in to start, I saw it more as a backup/tutor role, he can still tutor.
              Carter - He'll be back soon, no worries.
              Hillman - I read on his latest strain he didn't even leave the field for treatment, probably just a cautious approach, I hope.
              DJ - We've played without him before.
              Kuper - Biggest loss IMO.
              Anybody know how to get out of Plan A? - Elway

Comment

Some of these injuries are unavoidable, but it makes you wonder if some of these guys would condition themselves properly they might not be on the sidelines come game-time.

Comment

Injuries.......seems like too many, but part of the game, and every team has to deal with them. Losing Hunter for the year would be a shame, given his progress and how much depth we were putting together, in terms of quality dliners.

As long as Kuper comes back on schedule we're good, because we've been there (without him) for a big chunk of 2011.

Want to see Hillman in action, but time is what he needs. We'll see him when it matters.

Sure, every injury hurts a bit, but it's to be expected......this is a violent game. In some ways, injuries make you better in the long run (I know that sounds a bit sketchy), but it's how you build quality depth. Players seeing real playing time while the other player heals. Sometimes backups become really good starters, as they are given a chance to play, learn and grow, in game conditions. They just need a chance.

Comment

I remember when Knowshon was having those hammy injuries and couldnt go because of it everybody ragged on the man.. Now Hillman has injury concerns and everybody is like "aww poor Hillman, get well soon buddy." Lol.. yall dog Knowshon the very first time he was injured, but why no one is upset that Hillman is injured and keeps reinjuring his same injury? I think people just hate Knowshon just because he is Knowshon lol.

Comment

Excellent point Captain! Injury is part of the game but these guys who make their living with their speed and strong bodies need to loosen up and stretch a little more before games or practices!

Comment

Kuper- Biggest loss IMO, he was the best OL we had last year...
                        Hunter- Loss, sure, but Ayers/Wolfe and others can fill in just fine.He's an avg DE with a high motor. Can be replaced.
                        DJ- WILL be missed MUCH more then people think but we got some decent depth.
                        Brooking- No big deal.
                        Hillman- Hopefully just precautionary, hammy's are a tough injury to go through.
                        Carter- Should be ready by Week 1, and Moore/Adams have done well.

Comment

Originally posted by broncolee View Post
                          Hunter being out is only significant to the depth on the DL, which is still very important.

Ayers isn't much of a, if any, downgrade as a starter.

If Dumervil gets hurt, do they move Ayers to weak side and put Wolfe in on strong side?

Kuper is a significant loss while he's out. Good thing he's expected to to return fairly early in the regular season.

Not really sweating the injuries to Brooking, Carter, or Hillman
                          #1 --As of now, Wolfe, and not Ayers will be starting at LDE and Jeremy Beal and not Ayers will be backing up. It appears that they are REALLY not happy with Ayers if they just keep him as Dumervil's little used backup at RDE.
                          For his part Wolfe had already entered camp as a starter-in-waiting as the Broncos' first draft pick this past April, and he was already in a rotation with Hunter at left defensive end in the starting defense. Wolfe's quick emergence and Hunter's physical play early on in camp had pushed Robert Ayers down the depth chart and out of the starting lineup.

Jeremy Beal, a seventh-round draft pick for the Broncos in the 2011 draft who spent last season on the team's practice squad, will get plenty of consideration to back up Wolfe. Beal had two sacks against the Bears' reserves in last Thursday night's preseason opener.

"You try to be ready for when they put you in there," Beal said. "That's all you can do."
                          I would think that Ayers would get some additional play out of this because they may move Wolfe inside on passing downs in place of Bannan. But, that remains to be seen of course.

#2 -- as for "not sweating" the injury to Brooking, you'd be singing a different tune if Woodyard goes down. There's NOBODY behind him other than 6th round rookie pick Danny Trevathan. And while fans love the rookie long-shot getting to play significant minutes, coach Fox does not. He wants experienced veterans in there.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Captain_23 View Post
                            I remember when Knowshon was having those hammy injuries and couldnt go because of it everybody ragged on the man.. Now Hillman has injury concerns and everybody is like "aww poor Hillman, get well soon buddy." Lol.. yall dog Knowshon the very first time he was injured, but why no one is upset that Hillman is injured and keeps reinjuring his same injury? I think people just hate Knowshon just because he is Knowshon lol.
                            How about because Knowshon was the #12 pick of the draft and was taken instead of Brian Orakpo, Percy Harvin or Clay Matthews, and he's been a total bust for such a high pick?

It's not really his fault that he was ridiculously over-drafted but it's hard not to hold it against him that he never became even a good player, let alone the All-Pro you'd expect being the #1 RB taken in the entire NFL draft.
                            sigpic

Comment

The worst part of pre-season; non-contact injuries.

Happens every season to every team. Just have to hope they can battle through pain or the guys next in line step up.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X