X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hanie released; Siliga promoted to 53-man roster

Surprised I haven't seen this.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/...medium=twitter

In a move to help maintain budget flexibility for later in the season, the Broncos released backup quarterback Caleb Hanie on Saturday. He was replaced on the 53-man roster by defensive tackle Sealver Siliga who was promoted from the practice squad.

Hanie was released so his $1 million base salary would not be guaranteed. The Broncos also avoided paying him a $250,000 bonus for making the active game day roster. Don’t be surprised if Hanie is re-signed by the Broncos on Tuesday.

As a fifth-year player, the former Colorado State quarterback fell under the “vested vet” trap that figures to see many veteran players around the league released today, and then re-signed early next week. Had Hanie been the No. 2 quarterback for the game Sunday against Pittsburgh, his $1 million salary would have been guaranteed the rest of the year regardless of future transactions.

The moves also mean Brock Osweiler will be the Broncos’ No. 2 quarterback against the Steelers and that the team is likely to play veteran linebacker Keith Brooking and safety/punt returner Jim Leonhard.
    Last edited by jetrazor74; 09-09-2012, 02:50 AM.

What any idea who would replace him?

Comment

Originally posted by nic.zeman24 View Post
      What any idea who would replace him?
      For now, osweiler will be the backup. I'll be curious to see if we bring someone else in.

Comment

Just saw on lindsay jones' twitter that Silga was promoted

Comment

Too bad for Weber, I think he would serve as a better #2.
          sigpic

Comment

They will probably re-sign him next week. It was just to save money, too bad those players get screwed like that....
            Where is this season going?

Comment

Honestly no point in bringing him back. If If Manning were to get hurt Caleb would bring just as many wins as Brock. And if he were to get hurt b4 week 6 I'd give up a 3rd and get Tebow back, lol!!!!
              #swapping

Comment

I hope we don't re-sign him. Just keep Oz as the #2 and bring in another QB to take Siligia's PS spot. In this scenario, we do need atleast one more QB on the team, in case Manning goes down. We don't want Osweiler and a random journeyman as our QB depth. If we had a #3 QB on the PS, he'd atleast have time to learn the offense and his teammates.
                RESTORE THE ORANGE CRUSH!!!!
                :smash

LONG LIVE THE ORANGE AND BLUE!!!

Comment

Money issue, he'll get resigned next tues most likely.

sigpic

Comment

In all that the only thing I really focused ob was that Silga was promoted. Great chance for young blood to learn on the job. Maybe some homegrown DT talent starting again,
                    sigpic

Comment

Not only does it feel like Christmas Eve, I get presents too.

Kind of thin on backup QB's tho.

Comment

He'll be resigned next week. Sadly, he's our best option as a backup quarterback right now, which is scary after seeing what happened when the Bears needed him to play last year.

Comment

Originally posted by yaz96 View Post
                          They will probably re-sign him next week. It was just to save money, too bad those players get screwed like that....
                          You are right, they will resign him on Monday.

Comment

Plummer, the #16 jersey is waiting for you!
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by atl-bronco View Post
                              Too bad for Weber, I think he would serve as a better #2.
                              Well Adam Weber is a practice squad player so the Broncos are allowed to sign him off their practice squad. Just like we did last year with Rafael Bush.

Comment

Working...
                              X